WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Saturday, April 1, 2017

Memories Unlocked #30

Chapter 30


Blair panicked when the front desk clerk said Todd wasn’t in his room.  She pulled out her cell to give Williams a call, then she spotted Todd sitting with Vicki in the restaurant.  Breathing a sigh of relief, she walked to the entrance, spoke briefly to the Maitre’d, and proceeded towards Todd’s table.  She was used to men looking at her when she entered a room so she didn’t pay much attention to them.  Keeping her eyes on Todd, she watched as his eyes looked around the room, then back at her. For an instant, she saw a glimpse of her possessive Todd.  Maybe there was hope after all.


“Todd, I’m so glad I found you.  The front desk told me you weren’t in your room.  I was afraid for a moment that you had left and changed your mind about staying here to regain your memory.”


Todd motioned to Brian, who pulled out a chair. “Blair, what happened yesterday was uncomfortable but not unexpected.  I would have appreciated a heads up about how many people in this town hate me.”  he nodded towards Asa and Bo.  If looks could kill both he and Blair would have gone up in flames from Asa’s stare. Todd just smiled and turned his attention back to Blair, “But that wouldn’t have changed my mind about coming back with you.  Would you like some breakfast?  Vicki’s already had some.”


Blair sat down in the chair and looked at her sister-in-law.  “I’m sorry, Vicki,  I didn’t mean to ignore you.  I was just worried.”


Vicki reached across the table and patted Blair’s hand.  “Don’t worry Blair, I’m not offended.  I came here to check up on him too.  When I arrived, Asa and Bo were giving him a hard time.  They can’t believe what they see in front of them.” She paused to looking at the wheelchair sadly. Then her eyes met Todd’s and she smiled. “So Todd, what is next for you today?”  


Todd took a sip of his cooled down coffee and grimaced. “Right now, Williams is picking me up to take me to the hospital.  Blair said she gave my file to a Dr. Wolek.” He nodded toward Blair then continued. “I hope he’ll help me line up a physical therapist.  I need to get back on track trying to get on my feet.”


Brian approached the table with a pot of coffee and turned over a cup to pour some for Blair.  “Mr. Manning, would you like another cup?”


“Brian, pour me a new one and take this one away.  Blair, is that all you want?  Brian, bring Mrs. Manning a variety of pastries, better yet make it a small stack of chocolate chip pancakes.”


Blair was shocked. First, Todd had actually called the waiter by name and secondly, but even more important, Todd had just ordered her favorite breakfast.   Whether he realized it or not, he was starting to remember things.


****


Larry was just finishing his notes on the interns and their morning rounds when there was a knock at his door.  “Come in.”


Sam entered the office.  “Larry, do you have a moment?”


“Sure Sam, what can I do for you?”


“Tell me, is it possible to really have complete amnesia?  I’ve heard about temporary amnesia and amnesia caused by trauma that blocks out certain things, but I thought amnesia that wiped out all your memories was a myth.”


“It’s not a myth, but it is rare.  I’m guessing you’re trying to find out if Todd Manning really has amnesia?  If you are, I can’t tell you anything,  I haven’t checked him out and you know as well as I, that when I do, Doctor/Patient confidentiality is in effect.  I’m sorry Sam.”


Sam smiled ruefully, “I keep thinking it can’t be true but Blair believes it. Thanks anyway.  You did say complete amnesia is possible and if Todd doesn’t remember his past, maybe that will be a good thing.”    Sam left Larry’s office and was so deep into his own thoughts that he walked right into a patient in a wheelchair.  “Oh excuse me, my mind was wandering, I’m sor…” Sam found himself looking down into Todd’s eyes.


Todd just nodded, “That’s okay, I’ve run over a few toes myself because I was thinking of something else. No harm.” Todd started to roll down the hall.


Sam stood there unable to say anything, he was shocked that Todd hadn’t recognized him again.  Even if he had no past memory of him, Sam expected Todd to remember him from the day before, “Wait a minute Todd.  It was bad enough for you to ignore me yesterday but I’ve had enough.  Do you really mean to tell me you don’t know your old coach?  I’m the man you called when you were trying to save your marriage to Tea.”


Todd had rolled to a stop and turned to face the man.  He took a good look at him and realized he was the same guy from the airport.  “Look, I’m sorry.  You’re the guy from the airport.  If what you say is true, answer me something.  Why on earth would I ask a coach to help me save a marriage to Tea? What kind of name is Tea, anyway?  Let me guess, you’re some kind of sex coach right? I guess me and this Tea were having problems?  Hmm, you must not have done a very good job since I’m married to Blair.  It’s like I tried to tell you and everybody else yesterday, I don’t remember my past or anyone in it.  I’ve had some flashes but nothing I can grasp and hold on to.  According to Blair, she’s my wife and we have two kids.  They’re great kids and easy to love but that’s all I know.  Until she found me I didn’t even know my last name.  I came here because I’m trying to get some sort of life back.  Now If you’ll excuse me, I have an appointment to keep. “  With that, Todd turned and rolled away.


Sam was shocked. He had wondered the previous night if Blair was telling the truth.  He had even told her he believed her, in order to calm her down.  Now, after what he had just seen and heard, he realized that it was all true.  Todd really had no memory of his previous life.  Knowing the memory loss was real, hit Sam hard, but the fact that Todd was paralyzed finally kicked in and Sam felt sick.   Deep in his heart he cared for Todd and knowing him the way he did, he knew being trapped in a chair was a huge setback for Todd.  Sam felt the need to talk to someone and the only person he could think of was Vicki. He turned and left the hospital and headed for The Banner.


****


Todd pulled to a stop outside Dr. Wolek’s door.  He turned and watched the man he had just talked to, leave.  He felt guilty.  He had been playing with the man.  He had recognized him instantly from the day before and he had decided to be deliberately obtuse.  He wasn’t stupid and he knew the man was the one who had the police show up at the airport.  Only one person had been in the loop about the travel plans, a guy named Sam Rappaport.   Todd had been upset by the whole arrest incident, but he remembered Blair looking at a man and calling him Sam.  It wasn’t too hard to put two and two together to figure out that he was the man Blair had been in touch with during the two weeks they were in Guam.  What bothered him the most was that Blair had told him Sam was a friend.   Todd knew he needed every friend he had but for the time being, he would keep Sam at arm's length.


Todd knocked on the door and waited.  Hearing the “Come in,” he entered.


Larry looked at Todd sitting across from him.  It had been a while since they had last crossed paths.  There was something different about the man now, but Larry couldn’t quite figure out what it was.  “Good Morning Todd.  How are you doing?”


Todd suddenly was caught in a moment. He was standing facing the man. His heart was beating fast.   “Good, everything’s fine. So there’s not a problem now... Baby’s fine. Blair’s fine.”


“Todd, I’m afraid … I’m afraid she’s lost the baby.”


He stood stunned as his whole world fell apart. Someone was trying to get his attention but he blocked them out.  He had one thing he needed to know.


“Doctor, tell me something.  What was it? Was it a boy or a girl?”


“It was a boy.”


Todd clutched his heart.  He knew the memory was real. He had lost a child after all. The pain gripped him for a minute as he tried to process the new memory.


Larry was out of his chair the minute he heard Todd’s gasp and saw the blood drain from his face.  He moved to Todd’s side.  “Todd!”  


Todd clutched Larry’s arm and stared up with anguished eyes. “I know you.  You’re the doctor who told me my son died.”


Larry was startled by Todd’s comment.  He checked Todd’s pulse and could feel it racing.  So it was true, Todd was slowly getting his memory back.  He felt sorry for Todd.  Larry remembered the day he had told Todd about the loss.  It was the first time he could remember that Todd had exposed his feelings.  That baby boy had meant a lot to him.  It was a tough memory to have to relive. “I’m sorry, Todd.   No one should have to go through that experience twice.  I need you to take some deep breaths.  We have to bring down your blood pressure before you have a stroke.”


Todd slowly let loose of the doctor’s arm.   He felt like he had been kicked in the teeth.  Why were his memories so filled with heartbreak or violence?  Surely he had some happy memories.  He composed himself and let the doctor check him out.   It was strange to know the guy, yet not know him.  He guessed they had a history and he wished he knew what it was.  Still, he was more comfortable with the doctor then he had been before the memory.  


Larry pulled up a chair and sat down next to Todd.  “I sure neither one of us thought this was how this meeting would go.  Your pulse is almost back to normal.  Tell me.  Are these flashes of memory getting more frequent?”


Todd pushed the memory away.  It was still raw and he didn’t have the will to look at it any longer.  “No, not so much.  I’m not sure I could take it if they were.  Miguela, Dr. Sanchez, told me  I might get more or none at all.  If they continue to be like that,...I’d rather not get my memory back.”


Larry didn’t miss the brief pause. He wondered if the memories Todd was experiencing was part of the reason he hadn’t had more. “Have all the memories been traumatic?”


“Most of them.  They’re the reason I had to leave Guam. Everything I’ve seen in those flashes, tells me my past was violent.  I couldn’t continue working with those innocent kids knowing the kind of man I was.”


One thing had always puzzled Larry about Todd.  The man was a walking talking contradiction.  Larry knew that Todd had helped a number of kids over the years and had always done so not wanting any acknowledgment.  Yet he had done so many horrible things too. He kept his gentle side hidden and presented a sarcastic and even caustic personality to most of the people around him.  Had his injuries changed anything? Everything Dr. Sanchez had passed on about Todd indicated his gentler side had won out in Guam.   Would it continue now that he was home and had to face his enemies, or would the Todd that protected himself above everything, re-emerge?

“Todd, I think you’re going to have to take it one day at a time.  It’s encouraging that you are having some memories and I agree with Dr. Sanchez.  There’s no way to tell if you’ll regain all of your memories but let me know if your flashes become more frequent.  That would be a good indicator that all will return.  Now, why don’t we go across the hall where I can give you a full examination.  


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!