WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Saturday, September 2, 2017

Memories Unlocked #34

Chapter 34


Williams pulled up in front of the Manning building.  He exited to help Todd as Blair got in and sat down in the spacious compartment.  Todd stopped Williams and spoke to him quietly. “I need you to go back to the hospital and get the pain pills Dr. Wolek prescribed while Blair and I eat some dinner.  Remember, don’t say anything about today’s surgery to Mrs. Manning.  Get the pills and come back after you have something to eat too.” Williams nodded and pushed Todd up and in.


Todd looked across at Blair.  “So where do you want to go to eat?  I’m up for anything but Chinese.  That was a favorite at the hospital.  I’m looking for something hearty.”


Blair was disappointed.  She had hoped to suggest just that and was going to try and get him to eat at the penthouse.  He had just shot that all to hell.  She wasn’t ready to take him to Rodi’s so it would have to be the Country Club.  She was frustrated.  She had been sure that The Sun would have stirred his memories but nothing had happened.  “Williams, take us to the Country Club.  They have the best steak in town.  That should satisfy your hunger for something hearty.”


Todd opened the bar.  “Would you like a drink?”  When she nodded, he pulled out the scotch and poured two glasses. Handing the glass to her, he raised his glass, “Here’s to moving ahead.” Todd drank slowly hoping the liquor would kill a little of the pain he was feeling.  He was surprised when Blair drank her’s down fast, but when she held the glass out he refilled it without saying a word.  He could tell she was still upset about his plan to move into the penthouse instead of with her and the children.


Blair murmured thanks as Todd refilled her glass and watched him take his time with his.  It wasn’t like Todd to just sip his whiskey,  He usually downed it just as fast as she did but not now.  He was absentmindedly rubbing his right leg again and his color was still off.  “Todd, maybe you shouldn’t be drinking that after all, it’s been a long time since breakfast.  I still don’t understand why Larry didn’t tell you to eat something when he was finished with his tests.  That’s the second time you’ve rubbed your leg.  Are you getting more feeling? I noticed you didn’t wear your brace today.  Is it because you feel it now?”


“I didn’t wear the brace today because I figured Dr. Wolek would want to see the leg without it.  The whole point of the visit was to see how much progress, if any, has been made.  The brace is just another crutch.  I’ll admit I’m feeling a little more in the leg, but I think it just seems sore because of all the testing, or it’s just my imagination.” Todd felt like a heel. If he told Blair the truth, she would be overjoyed and expect him to get up and walk in no time, which would mean he would begin spending more time with her and the kids.  He knew he was using the legs as an excuse to hold her off, even though he was starting to really enjoy having her around.  He was torn.  He was starting to have feelings for Blair but he wanted to have his memory back too.  Even if he could walk, he still would be incomplete without all his memories.


They arrived at the Country Club and soon found a table by the terrace. “Todd, does any of this seem familiar?” Blair had been watching Todd look around as they came in and she couldn’t help hoping the place had sparked his memory.


“Oh sure, more faces looking shocked by my appearance.” Todd was being sarcastic, but he saw Blair’s face fall at his statement. “Hey, that was a joke.  I’m sorry, you were expecting more.  It’s a nice place, Blair, but it doesn’t stir anything memory-wise.  I’m guessing we’re members, right?”


Blair nodded and sighed. She glanced around and still saw patrons staring at Todd.  “I’m sorry too.  You’ve been getting a lot of those looks today.  First at the Palace and now, here. You’ve always been rather notorious in this town, Todd.  It’s not just your far past either.  You are the publisher of The Sun and over the years, you’ve had your fair share of headlines  After the truth came out about Jack and the events in Hawaii, most of this town thought you were dead. They’re just shocked to see you here and with me no less.”


Todd turned his head and looked directly at the people around him and they soon dropped their eyes.  “Don’t worry, it doesn’t really bother me.  I know enough about my past to realize this wasn’t going to be a picnic.”  The waiter came up and Todd ordered some more drinks.


Blair stopped the waiter before he went to get their drinks and ordered some appetizers. She looked at Todd.  “You need to get something on that stomach before you drink some more.  You don’t need a hangover your second night in town.”


Todd laughed. “You’re right, I wouldn’t want to be caught driving while intoxicated. “He pushed away from the table and showed Blair a little wheelie in his chair.  He laughed at the outrageous looks the patrons of the restaurant gave him and rolled back to the table.  “Hmm, they’ve obviously never seen a drunk wheelchair driver.”


Blair laughed. “I guess not.  When did you learn to do that?”


“We used to have wheelchair races on the ward and every now and then I would show off my skills for the children. It’s quite a feat to perform that in the older chairs they had on the island.  I had to do something to break the monotony of just rolling from one room to the next.  You should have seen some of my initial attempts.  Blanca and Lucy were usually around and we would all laughed as they got me back upright.” At the mention of Lucy, Todd was reminded of her death.  He picked up his drink and took a big gulp.  


Blair reached across the table and covered his hand.  “Todd?”


He looked at her hand and laced her fingers with his. “I’m okay.  I knew from the start that any one of those kids could lose their fight.  It’s just that I didn’t want it to happen on my watch.  Lucy and Blanca were two bright lights in my days there. It hurts that one of them got snuffed out.”


The appetizers arrived and Todd immediately dug in.  The smell of food in front of him reminded him how hungry he was and it was a good distraction.


While they ate, Blair began recounting some of Starr’s more outrageous antics.


“You’re kidding, she really dumped horse manure in his room?” Todd grinned. Yep, he could see Starr doing that. He had seen some of Starr’s mischievous side and he knew all about her coming to find him at the hospital. His daughter had a lot of spunk that was for sure.  


“Well, she is your daughter.  You’ve been known to go overboard too.  Max told me how you clobbered him and put him in a shallow grave.  Even you have to admit that was a bit much and let’s not forget the time you showed up at St. Ann’s dressed as Sister Bernadette Peters.”


“No way.” He couldn’t believe he could do something like that but suddenly he had an image of a little nun standing in front of him staring up at him  


“Have we met? I’m Sister Michael Marie.  What is your name Child?”


“Sister Bernadette Peters.”


“What?” She said struggling to hear.”


He spoke again. “Sister Bernadette Peter.”


“What a lovely name, Bernadette at Lourdes, so blessed to see the Holy Mother and Peter the Rock.”  she laughed and asked. “ You’re a quiet one aren’t you? New here?”


He didn’t know what to answer so he just slightly smiled.


She looked at him and said. “A little shy too.  Well don’t worry, we’re a very friendly group.”  She moved closer to him and put her hand on his sleeve. “You know, I shouldn’t have this, we shouldn’t have it, but I have some depilatory cream in my room if you want a little help with that mustache.” She touched his upper lip.


Todd found himself feeling his upper lip. He blinked as he realized he had just had another memory and a strange one at that.


Blair looked across at Todd.  She had expected him to laugh and try to deny having worn a habit but he had spaced out. When he reached for his mustache she was surprised. “Todd, what is it?”


“It happened.  I remember.  I was dressed as a nun and this little nun came up to me and asked my name.  I told her Bernadette Peter.”  He grinned at Blair.  “I guess I do go overboard at times.”  For once, the memory wasn’t a hurtful one.  Two memories in one day.  Maybe he would have more.  “Thanks.”


“You’re welcome and that’s marvelous, Todd.  See. I knew if I brought you home, it would jog your memory.  It’s going to happen, Todd.  I just know it.” She couldn’t help herself, she was so happy that he had another memory that she got up, knelt beside him, and hugged him. “I just know it.”


Todd found her exuberance contagious, not even thinking about it, he took her face into his hands gently and kissed her.  Todd raised his head as he ended the kiss and for a brief moment, it felt like Deja vu.  Time stood still and he saw himself looking down at a Blair with long flowing blonde hair.  In his head, he heard “Merry Christmas”.  He couldn’t help himself, he went in for another kiss.


Blair had been stunned by the first kiss.  When he paused she wasn’t able to do anything but look up at him.  He was staring intently at her and then he kissed her again. But it wasn’t just a gentle sweet kiss. It was filled with hunger and passion and she melted into the kiss, completely forgetting they were in the restaurant.  It had been months since she and Todd had kissed like that or for that matter since he initiated it.  Whatever happened, she didn’t want it to end.


“Oh come on, Blair.  I really thought you finally came to your senses.  It looks like Bo is right. Todd has you wrapped up around his little finger and you’re believing this whole story he’s selling.”


Todd’s whole body stiffened as the words broke the moment with Blair. He released Blair and looked over his shoulder at the redhead standing behind him. “Excuse me.  Is it normal around here for people to just rudely interrupt something that has nothing to do with them?  I don’t know who you are but you owe Blair an apology.”


Blair stood and rested her hand on Todd’s shoulder. “Todd, it’s alright.  Nora is welcome to her opinions.  Don’t think anything about them.  Her judgment these days is a little warped just ask Sam and Troy.” Blair stared Nora, who glared at her then walked quickly away.


“Hey, what about that apology?” Todd didn’t know what made him more upset.  Having the kiss with Blair interrupted or his anger that someone else who knew him tried to hurt Blair verbally.

“Todd, leave it.  Nora is always going to think the worst of you.  I’m sorry, maybe I should have given you a better heads-up about your life here in Llanview.  I just didn’t want to give you any reason to refuse to come home.”  


Todd reached across the table and took her hand.  “Blair, It was my choice,  I knew some of my past was horrific.  I might be mentally and physically challenged right now, but when you showed up in Guam, I realized I could no longer hide from my past.  As uncomfortable as this is.  I need to be here to figure out my future.”


The waiter arrived with dinner.  Digging into his steak, Todd looked across the room at the redhead and the man sitting with her.  “Okay, fill me in.  Who is Nora and who is she with? Is that the Troy you mentioned?  I know it’s not Sam.”


Blair looked over at the other table. “Yes, that’s Dr. Troy McIver.  Nora’s current boyfriend.  She moved in with him not too long ago. Sam was her previous lover and Bo was her previous husband.  Nora Hannon Gannon Buchanan is a lawyer.  She was also your defense attorney after you raped Marty.  Let’s just say there is a bad past between you two.  Nora will never be one of your cheerleaders.”


“She didn’t sound like one of your cheerleaders either.  What happened?”


“After you disappeared, Sam was having a hard time.  Nora had left him and Matthew and moved in with Troy.  I wanted to help Sam so I put some moves on Troy so that Sam could try and win Nora back, also, I was afraid you were dead.  Troy was a distraction.  I guess I wanted something to happen between me and Troy, but I couldn’t get over you.  When Sam started pushing me to get a divorce from you, Troy was the one who made me realize I still loved you.  He’s a nice guy but he doesn’t really stand a chance with Nora.  Neither does Sam.  Nora will always love Bo.” Blair chewed on her lower lip.  She hadn’t really meant to tell Todd about Troy and she waited for his reaction.


“I see.” Todd dropped his eyes to his plate and cut another piece of steak.


Blair was flabbergasted.  “Wait a minute.  That’s all you’re going to say about my dalliance with Troy.”


He smiled at her reaction. “What’s there to say?  You told me you were trying to help Sam and that nothing happened with Troy.  I believe you.”


Blair sputtered “I don’t believe it.  You’re not even a teeny bit jealous?”


Todd reached for his drink and took a sip. “Jealous? No.  You came looking for me and refused to let me stay in Guam.  That kiss we just had tells me all I need to know.  You’re mine and only mine.”  He glanced at her and watched as she turned a beautiful shade of pink.


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!