WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Todd Manning, Enigma Chapter 18

Chapter 18

        As they pulled into the clearing Todd asked the driver to stop and stepped from the car. Todd held out his hand for Blair to get out with him. She took it, exiting the car, uncertain what he was up to. Todd instructed the driver to take the kids to the side entrance. He stood with his arms encircling Blair, facing the house and watching the setting sun cast a rosy glow down on Dragonheart. “A short while ago, I stood right here and you told me that our house was proof of my love for you.”

       “Todd, we haven’t been home in ages, what are you talking about?”

       “It’s hard to explain.  I think I was dying and you brought me here. There was this glow surrounding the house and the air was warm and welcoming. The house seemed to be inviting me into its safe arms. Then you spoke two little words. For one brief moment, I lost sight of you, but I knew I could find you again, all I had to do was listen.” Todd paused and hugged her close, knowing this time she wasn’t disappearing. “Then I heard you. Thank you.”

       “Todd, what were the words?”

       “Come home.” He said it softly, whispering it in her ear and he gently kissed her cheek.

        Blair felt a tear drop on her cheek. She didn’t understand everything he had gone through, but somehow her love for him had pulled him back to them, and she was thankful.

         She turned in his arms, “Welcome home, Todd.” The passion of his sudden kiss threatened to overwhelm, but she regained her control and eased back bringing the kiss to a close before she fainted. Wiping her lipstick off his lips, she grabbed his hand and said, “Let’s go in before the kids wreck the place.” Laughing, she pulled him toward the front door and Todd followed, this time holding tightly to her hand.

        They walked through the front door just in time to see Jack and Sam sliding down one banister while Hope and Starr slid down the other.

        “What the hell?”

         At the sound of Todd’s voice, the giggles stopped and all eyes turned to him.

        “You guys started without me and that is so unfair.” They all watched astonished as he dashed upstairs and flung a leg over the rail. Sam and Jack yelped and jumped off knowing he was headed their way. Before Starr and Hope had even gotten clear, Starr watched as her mom followed suit and came down their side. Todd rode down like a pro, but Blair discovered there was a certain technique needed for a smooth ride and after one go, she decided to just watch from the bottom. After several more trips, Blair called a halt because her heart couldn’t take anymore. It had been more unnerving and precarious than she had thought it would be, and the thought of one or more of them falling was just too much. “Alright, enough. There’s still unpacking to do and we need to get some dinner.” She shushed their groans and they all headed up to their rooms.

        Todd moved into the living room and put on some music and got a couple of drinks. Handing her one, he grinned. “Here, you look like you could use a stiff one. I’ll tell them the banisters are off limits unless I’m around. I don’t want them hurt either.” He worked to keep from smiling even more when Blair took a big gulp and almost choked. “I’m sorry. It was my design, I always wanted a sliding banister.

        Blair looked at him. “Are you serious?”

        “Yeah!” he laughed at her expression. “Listen, Peter was the last one to believe in fun.” The look of disbelief on her face was too much. “Okay, I’m lying, you know why I designed the banisters that way. Sliding down them is just an added bonus, I know it scares you, so no more sliding.” He reached and cupped her face, “I just want you happy.”

         After the excitement of finally being home wore off, Starr took Hope and headed out to find James.  Jack and Sam retired to their suite to play games. Todd took Blair’s hand and walked out to the back terrace, looking down on Llanview. “It’s chillier than I thought, stay here, I’ll be right back.” Todd ducked back inside and grabbed the throw lying across the couch. “Come here,” he held opened his arms. She walked into them and leaned against him as he wrapped the throw around them both.

        “Hmm, cozy.” She hugged his arms around her tighter. “You realize this really isn’t a good idea. You have been living the better part of the last six months down south. The doctors would probably read you the riot act.”

         “I’m fine, Blair. You were there, I got a clean bill of health.” He could tell she wanted to say more, but he squeezed her. “It’s time to get back on track. I need to petition the courts and get my name back. The Sun is under attack by persons unknown. This is where we belong.”

        “I know you’re right, but I’m worried. This attack, why now?”
    
        “The Sun is vulnerable. With Jake dead, no one’s been running things. Someone is making an end run, hoping to get past my blockers. It’s got to stop.”

         “What are you going to do?”

           “Find out how they’re doing this. I was under the impression that Jake and I were the only stockholders. I bought my shares out from under Carlo, but now I’m wondering if Jake only thought he had control of his shares.” Todd rubbed her arms and realized she was shivering. “Let’s go back inside, you’re cold.”

“I’m not shivering because I’m cold.  I’m scared, wondering what else Hesser and his cohorts did to Jake and us.”

        “I need to talk to Tea. Maybe she can find something in Jake’s papers. It’s possible he signed something giving them his shares. He might not have known.”

       “Todd, if he did, then what?”

        “Then we’ve got a problem. Let’s not talk about it, now. It’s getting colder.” He felt a chill, his gut tightened and there it was. That feeling, like being wrapped up in ice; so cold it burned.

       “What do you want?”

        “You know what I want. I want out. You need to keep your focus. She’ll bring you down, she makes you weak.”

         “No! You make me weak. Go away!”

         “You’re a fool. She almost destroyed you before.”


         “Shut up!” He didn’t realize he had spoken aloud until he felt Blair turn in his arms.

         “Todd, what is it?”

          He looked bleakly at her. “I don’t know if I can keep it contained. It goads me.”

          It only took a second to figure out what he was referring to;  his cold anger, or the way Todd saw it, his demon. “Come with me.” She led him back in.  She knew Starr had returned home and took him upstairs to Starr’s room. Together, they watched Starr put Hope down for the night. She saw his face soften and the tension leave his body as Hope called him into the room for a goodnight kiss.

         “Goodnight, Dragon! I love you more than peaches.” 

          Todd laughed.“Let’s see you beat that.”  Blair sighed with relief.



*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!