WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Todd Manning, Enigma Chapter 28

Chapter 28

        Gregor was steaming, he had been allowed his one call and had found out his lawyer was on the way. He gave a couple of extra instructions to Uchin concerning the plans for the evening. When he had finished his call, he had been taken to a room where several other men were gathered. They were getting ready to go through a door and he was instructed to join them. It was only after he had followed them through the door, that he realized they had put him in a lineup. Although infuriated he had done as instructed including saying a line or two, then they had taken him to his cell. Fuming from the indignity, he threw his chair across the cell, then heard the sound of people coming and quickly set the chair up and sat quietly. Sure enough, it was his lawyer.

    “You took your sweet time, these clowns had the audacity to put me in a line up like a common criminal. When do I get out of here?”

    “Relax, Mr. Daimler, that’s what you pay me the big money for. I’ve been getting you on the afternoon docket for arraignment. With any luck, you’ll be out of here by dinner time.”

    “Excellent. Are the rest of the arrangements made?”

    “Yes, sir. I believe you have a couple of suites at the Palace Hotel for this evening. However, I caution you . . .”

    “Silence. No warnings from you, my well-paid friend. I know what I am doing. Plans are moving ahead. Everything will be done, and all will be accomplished tonight. That said, if things don’t go as planned, will the charges stick?”

    “There’s no telling, sir. I understand your daughter is involved in this? That can be a problem. You and I both know Kym was involved with us. She will have things to say. It’s getting sticky fast.”

    “I am not worried about Kym. You underestimate me, she will do as I tell her.” He paced in the cell. “Blair, on the other hand, might a problem. Well, leave me. I have to ready myself for the event.”

  ****

         Blair turned to Todd. “That was one of the scariest things...just seeing him there, in that room...When he said those words...it was like hearing them all over again, like on the ship.”

    “It’s fine, Blair,” he said, reaching out to stroke the hair along her face, as he always did. “We’ve gotta get back. We’ve got a party to host, right?”

    “Oh my God, Todd, I forgot. I’ll never get ready in time!”

     “You could host it naked and you’d be beautiful. Hey, I have an idea . . .”

    She playfully slapped his shoulder, “Tawd!”  

    “See I got you to forget already. Let’s go home.”

***

       Cars began pulling up outside Dragonheart, in the unseasonably warm evening air. John and Natalie were in attendance, and McBain was in his watchdog mood. He had some news that he was sure Todd was not going to like.

       Blair greeted them at the door. “I’m so glad you could come. Are we going to be able to make an announcement tonight?”

      John looked at Natalie, “What do you say?”

     “I think that’s up to you, Mr. McBain.”

      John reached for her face and running his thumb along her jawline, he turned to Blair. “Why don’t you take Natalie to get some punch, and I’ll talk to both of you in a few minutes. I really have to talk to your husband, Blair.”

    “You’ll find him over at the bar, talking to Shaun.”

    John watched the swing of Natalie’s dress as she flounced off, before heading toward the bar area. The sharpness of the swing denoted her anger. Realizing he’d have to make certain to make up for that, he headed for Manning.

    “Bad news, Manning. Daimler made bail. Old man’s made of money.”

    “Shit. I hope you brought backup. I’m not too happy about this, Lieutenant.”

    “As a matter of fact, we ordered a couple of extra blue shirts for tonight. Patrolmen. What happened at the courthouse?”

    Todd gulped the rest of his drink. “You are officially in the presence of Thomas Todd Manning. I’ve got my life back. Blair and I even made it official. That’s what is making me more uneasy. Now that I have it all . . .”  He looked over at Blair.  No matter what, he wasn't going to let Daimler spoil the night.

"Todd, we've got Blair's statement.  He can try and make trouble, but we've got it covered tonight. Trust me, it doesn't work like that."


Todd knew from experience how swiftly things could go bad for him. “It does in Manning world. What next?" He shrugged. What would happen, would happen, "You gotta have some fun, McBain. Go find Natalie. I’ll watch my wife. This is our night, we’re going to enjoy it.”



    “Manning, you’d do better to get Shaun to watch both of you,” and McBain headed to find her.

    Taking another drink, Todd scanned the room. Everyone seemed to be someone he knew or had at least met. Maybe, they were safe. Everyone who used to hate him was there. That is, everyone who used to hate him but was living. Bo and Nora were dancing up a storm, Matthew had recovered.  All were seeming to enjoy the evening. Nigel was moving Vicki around the room, without Clint, who couldn’t leave Llanfair.  Vivian and Shaun were making rounds, and  Dr. Wolek had even stopped by for a drink. Shaun had told Todd earlier that he was going to ask Vivian to marry him, and Todd had assured him there would be plenty of free champagne for the moment.   He searched the crowd for his daughter. At first, when he did not spot her, his heart leapt; then he spied her with James, cuddling in the corner. James was an all right fellow, as far as boyfriends go. No one would ever be good enough for his little girl, he knew. Not spotting Blair, he decided to go in search of her, the nagging heart skipping pushed aside, he gently made his way through the crowd to the other room. He fought the urge to begin bellowing her name as he always had. It might not be...acceptable. It could embarrass her.

    “Todd?” her voice called to him. He looked up, and she was standing at the top of the grand staircase. She was in crimson, again this night, and remembrances came back to him like clouds floating in. The dress was clinging to her, her arms were bare, the tops of her breasts exposed. Her hair was pushed back on one side with a red sparkling comb; he recognized it as a gift he commissioned for her from India after arriving back in Llanview earlier in the year. Each of the rare rubies shone brighter than the others. But none, he thought, shone brighter than her eyes when she looked at him from that place in their home. Todd climbed the stairs to take his place with her, and she extended her hand, as was customary in their dance. He turned to face the crowd down below. This was easier than he remembered.
“Excuse me, everyone. Can I have everyone’s attention? Usually, I let Blair do the talking, she’s better at it than me. But tonight I wanted to be the one to do the talking. Eight long years ago, I was taken from this town. Not that anyone cared. I was in disgrace for what, the 50th time?”

The guests had assembled, some holding glasses, and a general laughter rose from them. 

“Well, since my return, a lot of things have changed. I’ve changed. I know you’ve heard it before, but I’m trying to be a better man.” At this point, he shifted his gaze to Blair’s twinkling eyes that were glistening with tears. “Blair is the one who found me and brought me home. To her, I owe that debt, but much more than that. To her, I owe my undying love. Her faith in me the do the right thing has always been tested but never failed. When I was at my lowest point, convinced I had failed her once more, she proved to me that she would stand by me no matter what. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you my wife, the past, present, and future, Blair Cramer Manning. My living jewel.”

Applause broke out in the crowd below, and her tears spilled onto her face, as he turned his wife to him and brought her into a kiss.

“That’s Todd?” Bo whispered to Nora.

“That’s Todd,” she answered.

Vicki looked up with pride at her brother. “Oh Nigel, look at them. I am so grateful he is finally with his family and home where he belongs.”

“Yes, madame.”

Todd walked Blair down the stairs to accept the various congratulatory comments waltzing to them and lead her into the foyer at the base of the stairs. The crowd seemed to know to clear a place for them in the center. Shaun yelled out, “You go boy!” as Todd dipped Blair over his right arm, and the music began. The strains of “This is My Beloved” began, and Blair realized the music sounded differently than if it were piped in, she searched quickly, and her eyes rested upon a string quartet and harp in the alcove. Her eyes brimming with tears, she whispered, “Oh Tawd, what next?”

“You love surprises, right?”

“Yes,” and no sooner had she answered than golden balloons began to fall over them and the guests, strewn with golden curled ribbons and intermingled with glittering gold confetti. 

“Your gold, my wife.”

“No Todd, you’re my gold. I need nothing but you.”

A few moments later, the floor filled in with the guests, Natalie and John, swaying to the music, her head resting on his shoulder and her long, reddish tresses cascading. John whispered quietly in her ear, and they stopped. She smiled, face upturned, and nodded. Todd caught John’s eye and winked.

“Are you thinking what I’m thinking?” Bo whispered to Nora.

“Yeah. When did we die and go to this weird heaven?”

“Exactly, Red,” and they spun their way across the floor in that miraculous smoothness they always had on the dance floor.

Shaun was over in the corner on one knee, presenting a box to Vivian. Todd knew what was going on there,  he spied James planting a rather long kiss on Starr. “Back off, Daddy,” Blair said in his ear. “Down boy.”

He sighed, “She’s my little girl, Blair.”

“She’s a woman, Todd.”

Festivities continued. Todd and Blair mingled with the guests, Starr did more kissing of James, Bo and Nora shared quite a few more quips and dances, and John made a toast to Shaun and Vivian’s happiness. C.J. and Kym had been making the rounds most of the night. Vicki had been delighted to introduce them, newly married. Addie and Amos had arrived earlier in the day with Cassie, and the former had the children in tow as they enjoyed the atmosphere of celebration. 

Todd and C.J. went to get drinks, planning to meet the girls on the terrace to pretend interest in Vivian’s ring. Meanwhile, Amos stopped Todd. “Well, well, well, you’ve done quite well for yourself eh?”

Todd could only smile. “Amos, thanks for coming. Be careful with my mother-in-law, you old dog.”

Todd and C.J.milled through the guests with the glasses in their hands, ice tinkling against the sides, the sheen of the gold balloons and confetti spread throughout the rooms. Little Sam almost barrelled into C.J. chasing Hope, who had kidnapped his web-shooter. “Hey! Give it back!”

“Whoa, watch it, buddy!” C.J. lifted the glasses to avoid spilling them. Todd was in his glory, leading C.J. to the patio, being stopped here and there for congratulations and remarks of praise.  

The french doors leading to the terrace were propped open, a bit unusual for this time of year, but with the balmy weather, Todd shrugged it off and he and C.J. headed through them to find the ladies. Once standing on the terrace, the contrast was palpable. Empty. No one was in sight. To their surprise, the terrace was completely devoid of guests, sound, movement. “Blair? Kym?” C.J. called.

The hairs on the back of Todd’s neck stood up. From the corner of his eye, he spotted a waiter going along the side of the house. Somehow, that moment, he knew. “He’s got them.”

“Huh? What are you talking about, Uncle Todd?”

“Daimler’s out on bail.”

One of the glasses that C.J. held shattered on the stonework. “You mean he’s been here?”

“Must have been. And it’s my fault for letting her out of my sight.”

“No, Uncle Todd, no time for this blame stuff. You could be mistaken. Let’s search first, and make sure they're not here. This place is huge.”

Todd nodded, feeling something entirely different in his gut. The two searched the entire house and grounds, and finally gave up, finding themselves in the foyer, among all the gold.

“I’m getting McBain,” C.J.said. Todd didn’t respond. “Uncle Todd, I’m getting McBain, you OK?”

Todd fingered a gold balloon and looked back up. “This time, I didn’t even do anything to deserve it to be ruined. It was all too perfect.”

Shaun stepped up and motioned C.J. off to find the Lieutenant. “Mr. Manning . . .”

“No. Don’t. I can’t think of anything now.”

McBain turned the corner. “Manning, you searched everywhere?”

“Everywhere. By the way, I found your cops knocked out. Just what does the LPD do for a living, eh McBain?”

C.J. took hold of his uncle’s shoulder. “Remember, no time for blame. We have to find them.”

“I’ll go find her myself,” his fists tightened. C.J. wondered how long it would be before he broke loose of them and went off crazily on his own.

Starr approached them, seeing her father’s worried face and the absence of her mother, and took McBain’s sleeve. “What’s going on? What’s wrong?”

“Your mom and aunt are missing.”

Starr searched her father’s face in disbelief. “What?”

“It’s Okay, Starr,” Shaun said, “They’ll be found.”

Starr stepped closer to her father, “Dad, are you all right?”

He looked at her blankly, attempting to find words. John spoke, “He’ll be fine once he gets his wife back, which we’re going to take care of right now. And he’s not going to try and do this alone because he wants them found and safe, don’t you, Todd?”

Again, he could not find words as Bo walked up, overhearing the tail end of the talk. “Manning, you can’t go it alone anymore. You gotta let us help you.”

“Dad, listen to me. John, Bo, they can help find them. You need to let them. You have to try and trust them, I know it’s asking a lot, but you just have to.”

Todd blinked, focused on his daughter. “You’re just like your mother.” He turned to look at the top of the stairs. “She was just there . . .” His eyes found John’s. “You think you can help me?”

“I know I can.”

“Then let’s go.”

“Count me in, I’m down,” Shaun said, coming up closer to Todd. C.J. and Bo chimed in similar sentiments. Todd was overwhelmed at the support he was seeing for his family and for himself. He caught Starr’s eye, and in her tears, he read that she knew what he was thinking.

Bo said, “First things first. We go to the station. We need a line on Daimler.  Starr, will you let Addie, Natalie, and Nora know what we’re doing.”

“Don’t forget Vivian,” Shaun added.

Starr nodded and watched them leave, Todd turning back to give her a weak smile, and she waved, unenthusiastically at his back. Immediately upon the door shutting behind them, she fell into James’ arms, crying. “Not this, not again. I am not sure my Dad can take it.”

“Starr, from what I know of your father, he is a survivor. He’ll take it, and more if it means being with you and your mom.”




*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!