WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Friday, March 7, 2014

Hope from the Ocean: 49

"You're back," Blair said.

"We are," Todd said, leaning forward to kiss her.  He caught her top lip between his, and ran his hand along her face.  

Aiden leaned out from behind Todd, "Come up for air, why don't ya?  Ya forgot me, Laddy."

Both Todd and Blair laughed, and Todd turned back to him.  "Sorry, Buddy.  Why don't we all go in and see if there's any dinner cooking?"

"I think there is," Blair said, pretending to hold a tantalizing secret.

Todd said, "What, pizza?"

"No, not pizza."

The three of them strolled toward the kitchen, Blair with her arm through his, and Aiden behind.  Todd said, "Um, I don't know, that tuna mess?"

"Nope, not Tuna Casserole."

As they stepped into the kitchen, the odor was familiar.  Todd said, "Oh God, something died in here."

Aiden said, "Ah, pork chops and sauerkraut.  It's not particularly Irish, but one of my faves.  They make it at the tavern all the time.  Ah, Dear Lady, this was your work?"

The nun looked up from her pot.  "Yes, and ya are?"

"Aiden, Sister," he shook her hand, "Pleased to meet ya."

"And to meet ya, too."  She studied him, briefly, and then looked to Todd and Blair.  "Are the both of ya hungry?"

"We are, but not sure it's going to be that."  Todd said, looking at Blair, who appeared a light shade of gray-green.

"Sister, you know I loved this dish before, but . . ." she left the room, hurriedly.

Todd turned to Aiden and the nun, "Uh, I'd better go after her," and left the room, but not before grabbing a large bowl of salad, a water bottle, two forks and some dressing.

Aiden said, "I guess we're on our own."

"Those two could live together in that room, if ya let them."  She motioned with her eyes to the upper level. 

Tina walked in, and seeing Aiden there, changed her facial expression unwittingly.  "You're back.  Good to see you again.  How are you feeling?"

"I feel fine.  I was looking forward to running into ya again.  I met another lovely lady as well."

"Yes, Sister Rebecca Katherine is a fine woman, and a good friend.  Are you staying for dinner?"

"If ya'll have me."

"Of course we would, Dear Boy.  Now, grab a plate and line up here, we'll get our grub and sit and have some,"  Sister Rebecca Katherine said, and Aiden's eyes sparkled and he smiled broadly.

***

"Babe, you all right?"  Todd said, standing by the bathroom door.

"I don't feel so good, Todd," Blair said, after throwing up into the toilet.  He went to her and sat her on the edge of the tub.  "I feel so sick."

"You're tired."  He put his arm around her, and brought her close.

"I might be."

"It's been stressful.  It's over now.  Plus, the smell of that meal . . . could make anyone hurl."

She gently laughed.  Closing her eyes, she said, "I just feel so crummy.  Can I lie down?"

"Sure," he said, and supported her weight and stood up, and she leaned into him.  Without warning, she doubled over and moaned.  "Babe, what's the matter?"

"Oh, God, Todd, it's cramps.  I think I'm cramping."  Her voice was laced with fear.

"It's all right, don't get upset, Blair.  Maybe you just don't feel good, let's get you to the bed."  He lifted her like a child, cradling her in his arms, and she had her head on his shoulder, crying quietly.  When he placed her on the bed, he became aware of her tears, and saw the terror in her eyes.  He brushed her hair back.  "Hey.  It's all right.  Just stomach trouble."

"I don't know," she said, teetering on panic.  "I don't think it's stomach trouble, I think . . ."

He put a finger to her lips.  "Shh.  None of that.  Just lie down, and if it gets worse, we'll deal with it then.  You're minutes from the hospital, because of old Perzno and the copter.  Now just lie back, and breathe."  He stroked her hair.  She closed her eyes.  After a few minutes of him caressing her, and his other hand gently massaging her belly, she was almost drowsing.  He said, "See?  It's okay.  Nothing's going to happen to you, or our Jewel."

She opened her eyes, and her expression was relieved and peaceful.  "I'm okay."

"I know.  You're beautiful."

"Todd.  What would I do if . . .if something had . . ."

"None of that, now.  I'm here, right?  We're together.  Want some salad?  I brought it up for us."  

"No, I'm not in the mood for eating.  But I know you always are, so go ahead.  I'm okay just resting."  She watched him, lifting the cellophane off the bowl, and pour some dressing over the greens.  

He brought the bowl to the bed and started eating, keeping a watchful eye on her.  "Any more pain?"

"No."

"Okay.  Just let me know, if you need something."  He kept eating.  Halfway through, he offered her some, and she refused again.  He watched as she fought to keep her eyes open, but slept instead.  

Putting the bowl to the side, he rubbed her forehead gently with his thumb, and took her hand.  "No one will hurt us, or the baby this time.  You can bet on that one."

***

"This is a fine creation, it is."  Aiden said.  He ate heartily.

"Glad ya like it, there's more in the pot.  Just save some for that teenager we have roaming the house somewhere."

"The boy, yes.  Todd's son.  I've forgotten his name."

"Jack."

"Yes, Jack.  He could finish it all, ay, Sister?"

Tina jumped in.  "Possibly.  But he's lovesick, might not eat as much as we think."

Aiden looked at her, and the nun could not help but notice the way their eyes lingered.  She said, "More anyone?"

"No, this is fine," Tina said.

Aiden smiled, "Fine."

Jack rushed into the room, with his cellphone in hand.  "Sister, what do you know about this?  Jenna said she can't talk, she's on a plane?"

"A plane?"  the nun said, putting her fork down, "Let me see.  Yes, it seems that's what she said."

"You know something, don't you?"  Jack said.  Then he turned to his aunt.  "Uh, sorry, for bursting in this way but it was important."

Tina said, "Jack, this is Aiden.  A friend of your father's."

"Hi."

"Hi, Lad."  Aiden said, and continued eating.

"Sister, what do you know about this?  Dad tells you everything.  Is this a surprise?  Is Jenna on a plane here?"

"I don't know, Laddy, but ya can't ask your father right now.  He's tending to your mother.  They just went through a very stressful separation."  Sister Rebecca Katherine cautioned him.

"Oh, don't worry, I won't bother them.  I went past the door, and he was busy looking at her.  Just looking at her."  He rolled his eyes.  She was just lying there, sleeping I think, and he was staring at her.  Believe me, I know not to bug them.  That's why I came to you."

"Well, it's less than 24 hours off now, so yes, she's on her way.  Your father arranged it to surprise ya!"

He smiled, and Tina noticed how much like Todd's his smile was.  She said, "Nephew, careful, you're giving yourself away."

"I'm going to get ready.  Where is she staying?  In the house?"  Jack asked.

"No, she'll have the first cabin, closest to the house for her safety.  Aiden here has the third."

"God, I'd better take a shower and get some rest.  I'll see you guys later."  Jack said.

"What about dinner?"

"I ate already," he jumped the stairs, a few at a time.

"Teenagers," Tina said, looking still into Aiden's eyes.

"Trying to work with the ladies," he said.  "That I can relate to."

***

Blair was groggy, as Todd crept into bed next to her.  He lay on his side, still looking at her.  There was still so much to see in the face he'd already studied for years.  He sighed, and closing his eyes, he let himself drift into rest next to her.

In the darkness of the night, he heard her, murmuring.  "Don't."

He opened his eyes.  She was in the same position she had been when he closed his eyes, hours before.

"Don't take my baby."  Her voice was husky, soft, and she reminded him of times she had drunk too much champagne.  And in her sleep, "Todd.  Todd."

He wasn't sure what to do, so he answered, "Yeah?"

"Todd.  Don't let them.  Not Jewel.  She's our last one."

He gulped quietly.  "I won't."

She didn't seem very distressed.  Instead, she sounded dreamy, as if she were half awake.  She turned on her side, and her hand went across his chest.  Her head was nestled against his shoulder.  He wrapped both arms around her.  "I won't.  Don't worry.  Now sleep."

She didn't say another word.  

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!