WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Hope from the Ocean: 48

Back at Courtown Demesne, Timothy had just arrived to Dorian's private wing, and used his key to let him in, not realizing she was showering and would be rather surprised when she saw him there, in her living room.  He made himself comfortable, and waited, until he heard the water stop running.  Then, he called to her, "Dorie, it's me.  I've just returned from the meeting with the RA21 contacts.  I had to close up a few loose ends before coming to see my lady."

"I'll be out in a moment!" she shouted.

He sat back on the comfortable sofa and closed his eyes for a moment.  He wasn't sleeping, but he was realizing the stress of the last two days.  When he opened his eyes, she was in front of him, fresh from the shower, in her robe.  Her hair was still wet.  She said, "Like me?"

"Ya know I do," he said, putting his arms out.  She went onto his lap and rested her head on his shoulder.

"I'm glad you're all right.  Blair was a complete mess.  She was certain Todd wouldn't come back to her, and to be honest, I was nervous about the same thing with you."

"Ah, I wasn't even near the tough stuff," he said.  "I was on the outside of it, the planning.  The RA21 demonstrate respect for the elders by refusing them a role in the action part of the attacks."

"Well, good."

"I suppose.  I wanted to be there, to support my boy.  But, it turned out all right, fortunately."

"Fortunately," she said, playing with the open collar on his shirt.

"I was worried about Todd, going in there, reliving all that.  He came through like a trooper."

"He has that trait about him."

"Ya have certainly changed where he is concerned, Dorie.  If I didn't know better, I'd say that ya'r in the midst of starting to accept him.  With Blair."

"In the midst?  I'd say on my way, Timothy," she said, "but why are we talking about him when we could be talking about us?"

He looked down into her eyes.  "Now, that's a bloody fantastic question," and he kissed her.

***

"Well, Todd, I have to say thank ya again," Patrick said, standing, and reaching into his pocket for the cash for the bar tab.

Todd reached for his wallet, and Patrick held up his hand.  "No.  I may have been captive, but I still had a bill or two on me.  And ya've done enough.  It's on me."  He placed the money on the bar, and said, "I'm off to the airport, right?"

"I suppose, yeah."  Todd said.  "I'll let you use the limo."

"Ya won't have a ride yaself!"  Patrick said.

"We'll ride with you, not a big deal, okay with you, Aiden?"  Todd said, looking to the other man.

"I don't mind.  Poor beggars cannot be choosers."

"Then, we're off."  The three headed out to the curb, where in minutes, Williams drove up with the limousine. 

Patrick said, "Ya moved the whole family here, including workers, eh?"

Todd smirked, "You caught me.  Yep."

They climbed in.  On the way, no one spoke.  Todd looked over, and Aiden was passed out into sleep, his head lolling back against the seat, mouth hanging open.  Patrick said, "He likes his ale."

Todd said, "If I were him, I might, too.  Guy's got it rough, not having a place to be, no where to come from, no family to speak of."

Patrick looked out the window.  "Sounds like someone I knew years back, ay?"

Todd nodded.  "I've been there.  I remember a time . . . well, once, I'd lost everything.  I mean, I had no real family, Peter Manning had just died.  Rebecca, this girl I was into, she left me.  I took a branch out of the trash to make a Christmas Tree.  I was  . . . without a past, and without a future, it felt."

Patrick turned to Todd, and said, "And then came waltzing in, a certain leggy blond."

Todd smiled, and it felt good to do so without a speck of malice toward Patrick.  He said, "There was a time when I couldn't even look at you without wanting you dead."

It brought silence to the car.  Patrick said, "I know this."

"Now . . . well, I can't even feel it anymore.  None of it."

"That's a good thing, then, Manning."

"It is, McPoet.  It feels . . . better."

"Ya know, I never told ya, but I'm very sorry for the things ya went through, as a boy.  I heard about them, at least some, and put together the rest."

"Thanks," he said, suddenly slightly uncomfortable.  He took his view to the window, instead.

Patrick continued, "That does not change who ya are as a man, Todd."

He swallowed.  "Try telling that to my head sometimes."

"Must be hard, Man.  But it doesn't change it. Really."

"Yeah, well, I appreciate everything you said,"  he awkwardly brushed it off, continuing to watch the scenery.

"I have to thank ya, again."

"You already did.  More than once."  Todd shifted in his seat, and looked back to the Irishman.  "How was the handler?"

"Not too bad.  He fed me, didn't bother me much.  He wasn't like Leona, if that's what ya'r asking."

"I was."  Todd looked away.  "Good thing."

"Ya.  A very good thing."

"Well, thanks for saving my life, too.  I guess that deserves to be said," Todd said.

"No problem.  There ya were.  I was wondering what this mess of bleeding man was, and it happened to be Todd Manning."

"Hmf.  Mess of bleeding man.  That about says it."

"It's over.  As are many things."

"Yeah."

"Well, we're here.  I should be going.  Seems so strange to travel with no baggage."

Todd looked at Patrick and the irony was particularly deafening.  "Yeah.  No baggage."

Both men got out, and Todd extended his hand first.  "The luck of the Irish to ya, Thornhart."

"And the same here, Manning."

They shook hands, before Patrick, pushing his hands into his pockets, headed into the airport hangar.

***

Waking with Dorian in his arms a while later, Timothy slid out from under her, and sat up. pulling his pants back on, and rebuttoning his shirt.  He went into the bathroom, freshened up, and headed for the main house, in search of his sister.

The air was cold and went to the bones, but Timothy, winter man that he was, stood up against it well.  He simply pulled his jacket closed, and walked a little faster to the main door of Courtown Demesne.  Knocking, he waited a few minutes before Tina opened the door.  "Timothy, hello."

"Hello, Martina Dear.  I come to see my sister.  Is she around?"

"I am, and what of it?"  she said, coming down the last few steps, and rushing to her brother.  Giving him a short embrace, she said, "Tina, Ray is still sleeping, and I've told Blair to also take a nap."

"Good, that will give me time to relax," she said, heading up to her room to read quietly as Ray slept.

"Ah, Broham, what's brought ya here?"

"Dorie's asleep, and something's weighing on my mind."

"What is it, then?"

"Can we sit and talk, Creena?"

"Of course," she said, leading him into the drawing room.  She sat, and he did, and she noticed he was uncomfortable.  "Is this about Todd?"

"No.  He's doing well with it all.  Seeing off Patrick Thornhart right now, and keeping company with Aiden."

"Ah."  She looked at him.  "So, ya have something to tell me, then?"

"I suppose.  I am not sure how to say it."

"Oh my, is it one of those?  Ya want to marry that Dorian Lord?"

He laughed, "I wouldn't need to ask ya that.  Or tell ya.  It would be my decision, and ya know that."

She smiled, "Of course.  But ya look like the end is near.  It can't be all that bad."

"I don't know if it is or not."

"Timothy, say it fast, if it's very hard.  Just like peeling off the bandages.  Quicker is better, Dear One."

"I think I know Aiden, from the past."

"That would be many people in Ireland, Broham."

"No.  I think I know him, and I don't think it's a casual meeting."

"What do ya mean?"

"I recognize something about the Lad, something that strikes me, here,"  he touched to his breastbone.

"What do ya think it means?"

"I don't know.  But it's something . . . it almost frightens me, Creena."

She got up and went to her brother, sitting beside him and putting her hands over his.  "It's going to be all right.  Whatever it is, it can be determined and solved.  Perhaps y'ar just remembering something that brings ya a great deal of emotion, and y'ar nervous about what it might mean to ya.  I'm not sure what ya have in that head of y'ars, but if I can help . . ."

"Have ya met him?"

"Who?"

"Aiden?"

"No, not yet.  I've not crossed paths.  Tina has, and Todd, Blair.  Possibly Ray, maybe Jack.  Tina was quite taken with him.  That I recall."  She thought about it.  "Do ya want me to do something for ya?"

"I want ya to meet him, and then give me y'ar opinion of him.  Ya have to see him for y'arself."

"Fine.  That's not hard, at all, Broham.  In fact, Todd will likely bring him back here later.  At least I believe.  I know the cottage is not cleared out.  His belongings, as meager as they are, are still there."

"I want to be out of here, though.  I'll go back to Dorie.  I don't want ya to be influenced by my reactions."

"Since when have you ever influenced me, My Brother?"

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

2 comments:

  1. I am in love with the Patrick and Todd ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks. I remember tearing up when I wrote it.

    Glad you enjoy my work.

    ReplyDelete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!