WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Failings of the Fathers: 47

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Manning?"

She looked at the man, and then realized who he likely was.  Blair said, "Yes, are you Malcolm Carlisle?"


"Pleased," he said, and she noticed how gentlemanly he was.  Todd was right: refined.


"I'm Blair.  Welcome to Unforgettable," she said, stepping to the side.  He walked into the lobby.  He surveyed the house.  "Madame, this is a beautiful estate.  You keep it perfectly."


"I'll admit, I have help.  We have a maid, she cleans once per week.  I have quite a few young children, and they take up my time."


"Yes, Todd mentioned that you just had your fifth child, a baby girl?"


"Yes, actually, she's napping right now, in the nursery.  Why don't we cross through the house and go out the back doors, so you can see the area of the job."


"Certainly, that is a fine idea."  He followed her.  His car, the one he rented, was parked in the area designated for the worker's vehicles, and they passed it as they walked.


She opened the glass sliders, and first, showed him to his cabin.  It was about the size of Shaun's, but a little smaller, and a little further away.  "Here's your residence.  It's simple but warm and cozy.  I'm sure Todd explained that room was included."


"Yes, he did."  He carted along his luggage.  "It's perfect, thank you," he said, peeking in.  It was a modest but well furnished and attractive cottage.  


"I am glad you like it.  Did you want to get settled first, and then tour the grounds, or tour and then settle?"


"I'd prefer to tour now, and settle in after that, if you don't mind."  He followed her again.  Passing Shaun's cabin, he said, "Now, whose is that?"


"That belongs to Shaun, our security man.  And, this one across the way toward the back is for Perzno, our copter pilot."


"A copter?  Todd didn't mention that.  I know of the jet, of course, but not this."


"He's very protective of us, and has made certain there are ways into town quickly."


He nodded.  Alongside the house were some traces of snow.  The largest remaining pile was over both of their heads.  It was the one that Sam had jumped into.  They passed it, and she explained as they went.  "The gutters all need cleaning, and I believe one needs repair.  And, along here, I'd like an herb garden."  


Around the gazebo, were the roses.  "They've long died off, but we've had good luck with them.  In a few weeks, you can assess which ones need replacing.  And, there's space for a vegetable garden, as well.  As you can see there's a pool, that needs opening, probably not until late April.  It is heated, and we do utilize it often.  You're welcome to swim as well.  I think that covers it, aside from the other things you have probably noticed as we went."

"Well, there are a few dead bushes here and there, easily replaced.  These are beautiful grounds."  Malcolm said.


"Not quite up to par with what you are used to, I suspect."


"Excuse me?"


"You know, Kensington Palace.  That's where you used to work, right?"


"Oh,yes, of course.  It's been so long, I was confused.  Please accept my apology.  I lost my wife there, and it's a difficult subject."


She swallowed, and said, "I'm very sorry for your loss."


"Thank you," Malcolm said, and displayed the first smile she had seen from him.  


Remember, Todd said he's agoraphobic and on specialized meds . . .

"Mrs. Manning, I hope you'll forgive me.  I'm feeling rather anxious, and I need to get inside.  May I return to my quarters now?"


"Of course, and if there is anything I can do, please don't hesitate to ask.  There's a direct line to the house in your cottage.  It was nice to meet you, Mr. Carlisle."


"Malcolm, please.  Your husband is a very gracious man."


"Gracious, well, yes, I suppose he is.  Make yourself at home." 


She turned and walked back to the house.  Shaun was coming into the kitchen, heading to his cottage.  He said, "I left something.  Was that the new groundskeeper?"


"Yes, it was."


"How does he seem?"


"Nice, reserved.  Sort of nervous.  It's what I expected after hearing about his life from Todd."


"Okay, I'll introduce myself when I get a chance.  Be right back, going to get my stuff."


"Shaun, are you sure you really need to stay here?  I mean, we're okay.  Don't you miss your own place?"


"I am starting to love pink.  I can't leave, Mr. Manning's orders."


"Mr. Manning's orders," she repeated. 


***


Colin, William, Darren, Owen, Jimmy, Miguel, Todd, Timothy and Tina were waiting in the solarium for Aiden's surgery to end.  Tina was beside herself, and Todd hung close, to lend support.  The RA21 boys had been telling Aiden stories all day.  Some were very amusing, and Todd enjoyed listening to the exploits of his new brother.  


After several hours, Dr. Vigo made his way to the sunroom, and walked into the midst of them all.  He pulled his surgical mask down and said, "I have news."  Tina and Timothy both stood.  Todd was still sitting, but positioned behind them both.  "I'm sorry.  It was very difficult.  Mr. O'Farrell has lapsed into a coma."


A hushed "no" came from Tina's mouth, and she reached behind her for the arm of the chair, and found Todd, standing to catch her in case she fell, instead.  He helped her to sit, and she buried her face against his shoulder and cried.  He held on to his stoic best, as the others reacted.  The men from Rialto all became silent, except old Owen, who said, "But he's alive."


Dr. Vigo said, "Yes.  He's alive.  We don't know much, until he wakes.  The longer he's out, the more danger he is in, I'm afraid."


Timothy walked away from them all and went to the window in the back of the solarium.  Todd, handed off Tina to Miguel, and went after his father.


"Dad?"  Todd said, softly.


"Yes, Lad."  He didn't turn, or make a move to look in Todd's direction.


"He's not gone.  There's still time."


"I know."


"But I think you have to call Sister Rebecca Katherine.  Or I can do it for you."


"Son, ya're right.  She needs to know.  Will ya send the jet for her?"


"It's already there.  I sent it with Malcolm."


"I appreciate it."


"Dad . . ."


"Todd, please.  I can't . . . I can't think of anything but losing him again.  I just found him . . ." his voice trailed off.


"I understand.  I'll make the calls.  If you need anything, I'll be right over there."


Taking out his phone, he dialed the nun.


***



"Ray, I'd like to come and see Bitsy, soon."

"That's fine, Blair.  Just be sure to realize she's not communicating.  That is, not the way she usually does."


"What do you mean?"

"Well, I had told you about the visit to the nun's room, to leave a drawing.  It's happened again, twice.  And, the other day, when Sister was talking to her, she rested her head on Sister's shoulder.  Nothing else, and then reverted back to her catatonic state."


"I see.  Well, I still want to come and see her.  I promised Todd.  She needs to see a familiar face from home."


"I agree.  Whenever you like."


"I'll see when I can get Starr and Jack both here at the same time to babysit.  Shaun's here, but it's still a lot for him on his own, and besides, he has other things to do.  He can't constantly be chasing a baby around.  I think it's good for them to spend time with the kids."


"I agree, it would be good for Jack and Starr to share some family responsibility.  It helps develop closeness, and keep it that way."


"That's true.  I like that.  Well, as soon as I can find a time where they both are around, I'll be showing up there."


"Great.  I'll look forward to seeing you, Blair."


"And you."  She ended the call.  She examined her calendar to choose a date, and was interrupted by a small bang and an outbreak of tears.  She ran to the living room, and Ray was crying, in the middle of the floor.


"What happened, Little Man?"  she said picking him up.  She kissed his cheek, and he wailed.


"I was playing with the doggie and he ran away and I fell down."


"Were you trying to ride him again?"


The little boy looked guilty, but shook his head no.


"You can't get on the doggie's back.  He's a doggie, not a horsey.  It's not nice."


"I want to wide."


"He's not that kind of pet.  You can pet him, and you can throw a stick for him to chase, but you can't ride him."


"Why Mommy?  Want to wide."


"It hurts the doggie.  He's not strong enough to carry a big boy like you."


"I want Daddy.  When can Daddy come home?  Mommy, tell him.  Now."


"You miss Daddy?"


Her youngest son rubbed his eye, and his breath caught in his chest.  He nodded.  She kissed the side of his head.  "Daddy will be home soon, and he will put you on his shoulders, and ride you all around the yard."


"Yay," he smiled through tears.  "Yay, Daddy is a good horsey."


She laughed.  "Daddy is a good man."


"Daddy is a good man," he said.


"When Daddy called, what did you tell him?"


"I said, I wuv you, Daddy.  He said, 'I wuv you too, Buddy.'"


She smiled, and her eyes moistened.  "That's because he really does.  He loves you very much.  He'll be back soon.  But Ray, you cannot ride the dog, anymore.  It's not nice, okay?"


"Yeah."


"Okay.  Now, go and play."  She put him down and looked at the time.  It was almost time for Jewel to wake from her nap, and Blair knew that she had to call Todd either before Jewel woke, or after dinner when Jewel went down.  "Shaun?"  She called up the staircase.


"Yeah, Blair?"


"Can you come and watch Ray for a bit?  I need to call Todd.  It's already 9:30 there and I want to report in and see how Aiden's surgery went."


He came down the stairs, carrying Sam under his arm like a bag of potatoes.  He said, "Sam here finished his homework in only thirty minutes."


"Did we check to see if it was neat?"


"Yep."


"Great," she said, "I'll be back, I need to call Todd before Jewel gets up."


She raced up the stairs into her room, and realized she couldn't Skype him, if he were at the hospital, because he would be without his tablet, so she called instead.


"Hey, Babe," he said.


"Hi, Todd.  I miss you."


"I miss you."


"Malcolm came.  He seems to be settled in.  He toured the grounds today, and I told him everything."


"Was he okay?"


"Yes.  He did ask to go inside toward the end, but he was fine most of the time."


"That's good.  Seems things are moving along for him."


"Yes, it seems so.  The kids are great.  Ray started crying earlier, because he tried to ride Mixie, but mostly because he misses you."


"Yeah, I miss him, too.  All of you."


"Any word on when . . ."


"Blair," he interrupted.


"What?"


"Blair, Aiden's in a coma."


"Oh, no, Todd.  That's terrible.  How's Tina, your father?"


"Both are a mess.  The longer he stays under, the worse it is.  There's nothing anyone can do.  I feel . . . helpless.  Like, my money, it means nothing, I can't buy a way out, I can't fix it. . ."


She heard his frustration.  "I wish I were there, to hug you and love you, and just be there for you."


"Me too, but the kids come first.  They need you, especially Jewel.  How is she?"


"Perfect.  And I am going to see your mother one of these days."


"Good.  She'll like that.  Even if she doesn't show it."


"Todd, I'm sorry about Aiden.  Really.  I just want to believe it's going to be all right.  You should, too."


"I'm trying.  I love you, Blair."


"I love you, Todd."


"I'll call you later.  Maybe on Skype."


"Okay."  She hung up, and tears stung her eyes.  Jack, who had heard the ending to the conversation, came into her room.  


"Mom?"


"Yeah, Jack. Hi."


"Mom, what's wrong?"


"Uncle Aiden is in a coma.  We don't know if he will make it."


"I'm sorry, Mom."


"I know.  Thank you, Jack."


"Is Dad okay?"


"He will be."


"He must miss us.  Especially you."


"He does.  But he'll see us soon."


"Mom, let Jewel stay with me tonight?  I'll take care of her, I promise.  You can stay on the phone with Dad for a few hours.  Be together."


"Jack, that's very thoughtful."


"You got any bottles left, you know, of your, you know, your milk?"  he was embarrassed to ask.  


"Yes, I do, actually, I have one.  Do you remember how?"


"Of course.  Let me take care of it.  Tomorrow's Saturday, and I know you miss each other.  He probably needs to talk."


"I will.  That's very kind of you Jack, and I'll do just that, thanks."


"You're welcome.  I don't mind.  Me and Sam can camp out with her."


"Okay," Blair said, feeling very fortunate.


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!