WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The Mysterious Samuel Toddman: Chapter 17

Todd was fit to be tied. To be so close to Blair, but not the one in charge was driving him crazy. If any other man had touched Blair like Samuel had, Todd would have killed him. She had always brought that demon in him out. Some things never changed. More and more memories of his life with Blair were escaping from the walled room . He was pretty sure that Blair's proximity had been the catalyst. Todd hoped Samuel would keep his mind on the goal. He needed to know who was behind this and why this person had gone to so much trouble to keep his memories locked up. It was obvious from Blair's conversation that she had been surprised to see him. In fact he felt there had been more than surprise in her tone, she had seemed puzzled by something. He wanted to know why she was puzzled. Todd was puzzled too. She had expressed surprise and anger at seeing him. Yet when she realized the truth about his alters; she had seemed to back off any accusations of wrongdoing on his part and instead had tried to find out just what he had been doing for 8 years. Blair was hiding something from Samuel, something she knew about him,Todd, that she felt Samuel wasn't ready to hear. God, he had to get out of here! Samuel was getting ready to take on Alex and Todd had a feeling she was going to be a handful.


Samuel's cab pulled up outside Tomas's Gallery. It was time to begin to live, he knew now he had only been existing. Samuel paid the driver and entered the Gallery. Letting his eyes adjust to the dimmer light, Samuel looked around for Tomas. Tomas' office was closed but Samuel saw Tomas' assistant. He walked in her direction, all the while admiring the artwork along the way. "Excuse me. Can you tell me when Monsieur Tomas will be in?"


Simone looked up, startled. She hadn't heard the bell ring. In front of her stood a striking gentleman. Her eyes found the scars on his face. They didn't make him frightening, but they definitely lent an air of mystery to him. "I'm sorry, I didn't hear you come in. You were asking about Tomas. I expect him shortly, is there anything I can do to help you?"


"No, that's quite all right, I'll just wait." replied Samuel. He turned and decided to look around.  He was looking for one particular painting, then he spotted her. Samuel walked toward her. This time he saw the flesh and blood woman he had just left and as he looked at the painting he started hearing a song. It had been a night meant for lovers, a special day. He saw her singing and she was singing to him. What was the song? Yes. That was it. She was singing 'My Funny Valentine' Samuel stood there reliving the moment when she came towards him, but even as he was remembering, he realized he was looking at her through someone else's eyes. What the hell. This was the second memory where he felt like he wasn't really living it but merely viewing it. Why were his memories coming to him like that. It's as if he were two people. The bell at the door rang and Samuel turned to see Tomas enter. Well, here goes. Samuel moved to intercept Tomas as he headed for his office.


As Tomas's eyes adjusted to the interior, he saw a man coming toward him. His eyes widened, It couldn't be. Samuel was here and without a mask. Tomas saw something else as Samuel neared him. He realized Samuel was no longer in hiding. The man in front of him exuded confidence. Tomas extended his hand "Samuel, it is so good to see you and so unexpected. When you left here the other night, I was positive I wouldn't see you for a while. Indeed, I have been looking for you? Something happened the other day. Come into my office and we can talk."


Samuel smiled and said. "Tomas, I realize this is unexpected. Yes, let's go to your office. I do have something to tell you." Samuel followed Tomas to his office and the two men entered.


Across the Gallery, Simone watched the exchange of conversation and heard Tomas call the stranger Samuel. Was this gentleman Tomas' mysterious artist? Perhaps she should make another call to Mr. Hesser. He had said he wanted to be informed if anything unusual occurred concerning that artist. No, she needed to be sure this man was the artist before she called. She would wait, maybe she could get Tomas to introduce her.  Simone returned to what she had been doing. She would get the information soon enough.


Tomas led the way and offered Samuel a chair. He sat down behind his desk and took his first good look at a man he had known for seven years. There was something different about him. It wasn't just the fact that he no longer covered his face. It was like he no longer lived in the shadows. What had brought about this transformation?


Samuel sat there, letting Tomas come to grips with the idea of him actually being there in the daytime. He knew where Tomas' amazement was coming from. Hell he was surprising himself these days. Tomas seemed at a loss for words so Samuel decided to take the initiative. "Tomas, let me tell you a little of what has happened since last we saw each other. I can't begin to tell you what it meant to me, that night when you asked my name. For the last seven years I've been living my life in the shadows.   I was afraid of what I would face and expose myself to if I let anyone close. I wasn't comfortable around people and didn't want them to be uncomfortable around me. That's why I resisted letting you or any others into my life. I was content to paint and live my life through my paintings. And then you asked my name. I felt the shadows lift. The next day I was on my way here, but experienced some health issues that plague me sometimes and had to return home. Still, I promised myself that this moment would come, and here I am."


Tomas sat there humbled by the fact, that his simple act of asking for a name had awakened the man in front of him and freed him from his shadows. He even felt a little ashamed that it had taken him so long to make the overture of friendship. But now he wanted to let Samuel know what had transpired the last few days. "Samuel, I'm honored that my little question helped you, but I have some additional news. I've been helping a woman who came to Paris looking for someone. Samuel, that someone was you. She was given one of your portraits as a present and the subject matter of that portrait and the date you painted it raised questions and brought her to Paris to find you. We've spent the last several days trying to track you down. In fact, we were at your apartment yesterday but we missed you. She was very upset and we made plans to try and find you today. It is fortuitous that you should come here this morning maybe you could come with me to see her. I know she has truly been anxious to see you."


Samuel listened as Tomas told him about trying to find him. Upon hearing that Tomas and a lady had found his apartment yesterday, he realized they were the ones that his landlord told him about. That inner voice in him relaxed at the realization that it wasn't his enemy who had discovered his whereabouts. It also became clear how Blair found him. She was obviously the woman Tomas spoke of. "Tomas, I believe that will not be necessary. You see, I've already met her. Last night an attractive woman knocked at my door. Her name is Blair Cramer. Is that your friend?"


Tomas was dismayed when he realized that he wouldn't be helping Blair this morning. Obviously Blair had gone out after he left her yesterday. Still he had other questions for Samuel. "But yes, Samuel that is indeed her name. Was she able to get the answers to her questions last night?"


"We talked well into the night and I explained how I painted her picture, I believe we came to an understanding. I left her at her hotel not too long ago and came here. You see Tomas, I have some questions of my own concerning my paintings. I'm hoping you’ll be able to answer them. Is it possible for you to give me the names of some of the buyers of my artwork? In particular, the person who purchased the most recent painting. I realize your clientele value their privacy, but I was hoping as the artist you might give me the names of my patrons." Samuel inquired. "After all these years, I would like to present them with a portrait they themselves would like to see."


"I don't see that as a problem Samuel, I've never been instructed to keep their identities a secret and there are two people who seem to battle it out for any of your portraits. I'm sure they would be delighted too meet or talk to the you. If you'll give me a minute I'll have Simone get that list." Tomas got up and left the office.

For some reason, Samuel started to get excited at the prospect of finding out who these patrons were. He wasn't sure but it seemed likely that one of them might be the one behind Alex. He got out of the chair, too nervous to continue sitting and turned and found himself facing another portrait of Blair. Hmmm, it looked as if Tomas was an admirer of Blair also. Just then he felt his pulse rate quicken as he realized he didn't care for the thought that someone else might want Blair. He'd only just met her but he was jealous. He couldn't believe this feeling that had started in the pit of his stomach and radiated all through him. She belonged to him and he wasn't letting her go.

Tomas made his way to Simone. "My dear, would you please get me a list of the buyers of Monsieur Toddman's paintings."


 But Tomas, we don't have any paintings by a Monsieur Toddman." replied Simone.


"Oh forgive me, I forgot to tell you. I've learned the name of our Mysterious Artist. If you would pull up the list of the buyers who have bought his paintings and bring it to my office. I will introduce you." at that Tomas returned to his office.


So, that gentleman with Tomas is our Monsieur Anonymous. I will get the list of buyers and meet this gentleman that has Monsieur Hesser so watchful. Simone went to the computer and put in the name Monsieur Anonymous, up on the screen came a list of paintings and purchasers. She pressed print and watched as the list was printed out. Taking up the list she made her way to Tomas's office.


Tomas found Samuel pacing when he got back to his office. "It won't be but a moment more. Simone will be bring the list shortly. Could you tell me if you're so inclined, did you know Blair before last night?"


"Tomas, that's a little hard to answer. I don't know. We were trying to figure out that answer most of the night and the closest we came to was maybe. You see I have no memory of my life before 8 years ago. If I believe what she says of my art then I must figure there is some connection to her that at this time I can't recall." said Samuel.


"Are you aware that you resemble her ex?" Asked Tomas.


"Indeed! She was very angry at me at first and thought I was pretending to be an artist. I believe she thought I was her ex, a man named Todd. I was able to persuade her that I wasn't this Todd when she allowed me to sketch her. She informed me she was going to be leaving for home shortly. I think I was able to answer the questions that brought her here. I hope that someday I'll be able to find out how we're connected." Samuel replied .


Just then a knock was heard at the door. "Come in," said Tomas The door opened and Simone entered holding a piece of paper. "Simone, allow me to introduce Monsieur Samuel Toddman or as we've fondly have called him Monsieur Anonymous." Tomas smiled apologetically at Samuel who returned his smile a bit ruefully. Samuel took Simone's hand and gently kissed it. " It is a pleasure to meet you, Simone."


Oh My, thought Simone as he took her hand. He’s charming. She smiled and said,"I believe this is what you are waiting for. I've been wanting to meet Tomas's mysterious artist for a long time. Monsieur, You do not disappoint." Simone handed the paper to Samuel and departed the office.


Samuel turned to Tomas. "I would like to thank you again for getting my life on track. I hope we'll continue to do business, but I must tell you I will be making some changes and I can't promise when you will see me again." With those parting words, Samuel took the list and departed.


Over at her desk, Simone was on the phone. She nodded politely as she saw Monsieur Toddman leave. He returned the nod and left the Gallery. Samuel hailed a cab, "#19 Rue Morgue" he instructed the driver, then he sat back and looked at the list he now held in his hand. There were several names on the list, but two names stood out. It seemed both had bought a sizable number of his art pieces. They were a Mr. Carlo Hesser and even more curious, a Mr. Todd Manning.


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!