WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Chasing the Monsters: 2

"It was a beautiful party," Blair said.

"Yep," Todd said, handing payment to the waiters he had hired to help out.  They'd done the cleaning, and he and Blair had been tending to the kids' bedtime routines before making their way back down to survey everything.  In the foyer, he said, "Thanks, good work," and the head waiter nodded.  


The waiters and waitresses, in black and white, headed outside to their van, with their equipment in tow.  Todd turned to Blair and said, "It's over.  Another event for the Mannings behind us.  Think everyone liked it?"


"Yes, and another one down," she said.


Bitsy was just coming down the stairs, with Sister Rebecca Katherine.  The nun said, "My goodness, Sam is a bundle of energy, that he is."


Todd said, "Yep.  Sure is."


"Ray didn't want me to leave his room," Bitsy said.  "He asked me to sleep on the floor."


Blair said, "He loves his 'Gamma.'"


"I love him, too.  It's okay, if I stay here, isn't it?" Bitsy asked.


"Of course, Momma," Blair said, looking to the nun.


"Bea's able to stay the night.  She has permission from her doctor, and she's fine and able to do so."


"That's good, Momma.  You can have breakfast with us in the morning before going back."


"That would be nice, and I'd love it," Bitsy said.


"Are you staying as well, Sister?"  Todd asked.


"No, I have to go. Lad.  Clients in the morning."


"Sister, thank you for everything, and the lovely gift,"  Blair said.


The nun made her way to the car and said her goodbyes.  As the limo pulled off, Bitsy walked into the family room where Todd and Blair were sitting, and she said, "It's been a while since I've been here."


"We're glad you're here, Momma,"  Blair said.


"How are you feeling, Momma?  You all right?"  Todd asked. 


"Yes, I'm fine.  I'm better.  Well, getting better.  Dr. Martino says."


"You want the pink room?  You had it before, remember?"  Todd asked her.


"Yes, that's perfect," she said.


Blair got up, and went to the stairs, "If you guys don't mind, I'm a little tired, and Jewel will be up for a feeding in a couple of hours."


"We'll be up in a minute, Babe," he said, and looked back to his mother as Blair went up.  "Momma, you saved my life, Ray's life and Blair's last year.  I just wanted to tell you again what it meant to us, in case you forgot."


"I had to, Todd.  He wanted to . . . to do bad things to Blair and hurt Little Ray.  He shot you."  Bitsy wrung her hands, and looked at them.


"I know, but I never got a chance to really say thank you, not the right way."


"You didn't have to, because. . .I . . ."


"I know what you're going to say, Momma, but I don't want you to say it.  Not now, or ever."


"Well, I had to, then.  That's all."


He stood up, and put out the last of the fire.  "We want you to come and live with us, soon.  When you're better."


"I want to, I really do.  I want to be with the children, and you, and Blair."


"I know.  I just wanted to make sure that you knew that Unforgettable is always open to you."


"I do," she said, standing.  She went to the stairs.  "Good night, Todd.  I love you, My Angel."


"I love you, Momma.  Night."  He watched her go, and turned back to the fireplace.  He dampened the embers with some water, and closed the little doors in front of the opening.  For a moment, he thought back to the second Peter shot him, and how all he could think of was dying and leaving Blair and Ray at Peter's mercy.  He shook it from his mind, and ascended the stairs.


Blair was just getting under the covers when Todd came into the room.  He went to the bed and sat by her.  She turned and said, "What's the matter?"

"Jack."


"What about him?"


"College."


"I knew you were really upset, Todd.  I could see it.  But, the truth is, you did all you did without it.  Why can't he?  I mean, that's at least what he's thinking."


"You're on his side about this?"


"I don't know.  I just, he wants to be like you.  He wants to do what you do.  That's okay, in my book, as long as he works hard at it."


"I screwed college up, Blair.  You know that.  I ruined my chances of everything I'd hoped for.  Jack can take those opportunities.  He can't get so far without a college degree.  I mean, of course, with my owning the paper, it's different, but I want more for him.  I don't want him to ride on Victor Lord's money.  He's better than that.  I had to, and you know why.  He doesn't.  He can do this on his own merit."


She touched his arm.  "You're such a good father.  You're so proud of him, and you want him to be better than you.  That's a good Dad."


"Whatever it is, I'm pissed."


She smiled.  "I know.  But, what can we do?  It's his life, his decision."


"Baloney.  He's a kid.  We're the parents."


She laughed lightly, "Not sure he'll see it that way."


"I need you to back me on this, he's going to college."


"Todd, now, you know how teenagers are.  They won't do what they're told.  They want to have a say in their destinies."


"He needs to go to school."


"He needs to do what he wants to do, Todd.  He wants to be like you, and he's basically made up his mind."  She could see he was frustrated.  

"It shouldn't be that way.  He can do more, be more.  I can't believe you're not on my side with this."

"It's not about sides.  I just think it's okay if he does what he wants to do and becomes like you.  What's so wrong with that?  I think this is about the chances you lost, Todd, not what he's lost," she said.


He climbed into bed next to her, and faced the ceiling, his arms over his chest. 


She crept close to him.  "It's okay that you want certain things for him.  But you have to support what he wants, too."  She ran her fingers lightly over his chest, and then placed her head in her favorite spot, below his shoulder.  He didn't answer.  "You're angry with me," she said.


He stayed quiet.  Then he said, "Yeah, I guess I am, but not really with you, with the whole thing.  I've got the money for it, he always talked about it, at least most of the time.  Now suddenly he's not going.  He got in everywhere he applied."


"He'll be all right.  You know that."


"Maybe," he said, and kept his arms folded.  


She yawned.  "I'm going to catch a little sleep before I have to get up again with Jewel.  Today was a nice day, Todd.  Let's be happy."


She closed her eyes, and he stared at the ceiling while she slept.


***


In the middle of the night, Bitsy was awakened by noise.  At first, she thought it was Ray crying in his crib.  She sat up to listen to it, and then got out of bed, padding quietly into his room.  He was sleeping soundly, his curls cast over his face on one side.  She pulled his little blanket up over his chest higher and walked out. 


On her way back to her room, she heard it again.  A small, quiet whimpering.  She continued until she was in front of Sam's door, and realized it was coming from inside.  She knocked lightly on the door, and the noise stopped.  Opening the door a crack, she said, "Sam?"


He was sitting up, in the dark, clutching a stuffed Spiderman doll to his chest.  His breathing was coming and going rapidly.  He said, "Grandma."


"Yes, Sam.  Are you crying?"


He sniffed, and looked down.  He was not wearing his glasses, and she walked closer to the bed, reaching down to turn on the light.  His eyes adjusted to the brightness, and she could see he was shaking, and tears were on his cheeks.  She sat beside him, and put her arms around him.  "Sam, what is it?"


"I had . . . a bad dream . . . " he said, having trouble catching his breath.


"Oh, I've had those."


"I'm . . . scared."


"Oh, I know.  I get scared, too.  What was your dream about?"   She stroked his hair and held him.


"That guy, the mean one.  Dad's father, Peter."


Her heart leaped in her chest a little, but she did not let on.  "Why?  Why are you afraid of him?  He was a coward, and he's gone."


"He . . . killed my dog," he said, crying, "and I still think about it, and I dream about it a lot."


"Did you tell your Mommy and Daddy?"


"Yeah.  I told them.  They brought me to see Dr. Martino.  He's nice."


"He is.  I've met him, he's my doctor, too.  He helped me a lot."


He looked up at his grandmother, and his curiosity interrupted his tears.  "Grandma Bitsy, how come you can talk now?"


"I don't know, Sam.  Maybe the bump on the head, maybe something else.  But you mustn't let Peter come into your dreams.  You can tell him to leave, did you know that?"


Sam shook his head no, but his face was innocently hopeful.  "I can?"


"Yes, you can.  You just go into your dream, and you tell him to go away.  You're the one dreaming it."


Sam thought about it.  "I don't get why he was so mean to Dad.  Do you get it?  Did he ever tell you?"


"No. I don't get it either.  But I think he was a cowardly, lonely, very bad and mean man."


Sam thought for a few minutes.  "It's not fair."


"What's not fair?"


"That he hurt my Dad.  Dad was just a kid, like me.  My real Dad hurt me, too.  Not like Peter, but he did."


She hadn't heard this, and her heart broke.  "Was that a long time ago?"


"Yes."


"Then it's over.  Todd is your father, and he loves you.  He would never hurt you."


"No.  He wouldn't.  He would die for us.  He fought a bear for us."


"He did?"


"Sort of.  He kind of ran from the bear, and she followed him away, but he would have fought her for us!"


She half-smiled.  "He's a hero, then.  To you.  Let him into the dream to get rid of Peter next time."


"Or, you.  You could come in.  I heard about what happened.  You shot Peter.  You shot him to save Mommy, Daddy and Ray."


She nodded, unable to speak at that moment.


He let out a ragged sigh, and said, "Thank you, Grandma Bitsy, for making sure I had my parents."


She smiled, and tears sprung to her eyes.  She said, "It's all right," and hugged him close.  "Just remember what I said."


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!