WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

The Mysterious Samuel Toddman: Chapter 30

 Blair and Vicki followed the ambulance as it left the cemetery. Vicki knew they were in for a media circus. There was a sizable crowd at the gates.  Most were wondering who would need an ambulance in the middle of the night at a cemetery. Everyone loved a good ghost story and when word had come into the Banner's Newsroom of the EMT call to the cemetery, they had wasted no time getting a reporter to the scene. In typical fashion for reporters, The Banner's investigator had managed to get a ringside seat outside of the crypt. He had managed to get pictures of the name on the crypt and one, of the man being carried out on the gurney.  As he was about to head back in, the reporter spotted some of The Sun's reporters also there. It was going to be a race to see who scooped who tonight.

 Once outside the gates, the ambulance had gone to the hospital with sirens on. When Blair pulled in behind the ambulance at the ER, she and Vicki watched as they wheeled Todd in. Blair looked over at Vicki, she had been quiet for the drive to the hospital, they both had been lost in thought. Blair wondered if Vicki was up to what was about to take place now that Todd was home. But then again, she wondered if she was. Blair and Vicki joined Starr as they stood outside the room where the doctors were working on Todd.

 "How's he doing?" Blair asked.

 "Mom, he had another attack in the ambulance, they had to shock him to bring him back. Mom we can't lose him again. We just can't." Starr replied anxiously.

 Vicki looked at her niece. " Your father is the most stubborn man I know. He won't let a thing like a heart attack take him out. I'm sure of it." Deep in her heart Vicki prayed that was true. She really wanted to be able to see him with his eyes open and wisecracking some joke about how Lord Hearts are really made of Rubber, and they always bounce back.

 The doctor finally came out to talk to them. "Mr. Toddman is stable and holding his own right now. The attacks have ceased, but his heart is very weak. If he makes it through the next 24 hrs without another attack, he'll probably pull through. We're going to send him up to CCU soon, do you know if he has any family here?"

 Vicki spoke up, "Yes, we're his family, he's a cousin of mine. Will we be able to see him."

 "That shouldn't be a problem, but they'll probably only allow up to two at a time." said the Doctor.

 "If I may, I'd liked to take first watch. I need to be here when he wakes up. Starr, you should go home to Hope, and come back in the morning. You too Blair. Thank you for saving his life in that awful place. If you hadn't followed him there we would have lost him for sure. You understand why I need to be here. It's been so long. and for some reason I think he needs me too." Vicki looked at them both silently pleading for their understanding.

 Starr knew her aunt had just found her brother again. She, on the other hand, had the knowledge of the last few days to keep her hopeful. Her dad had survived so far, she would pray that he would make it through the night. The morning wasn't that far off. She would go to Dorian's and give her daughter a kiss, and make arrangements to come back without making Dorian suspicious. She looked over at her mom. "I can do that Mom, let's let Aunt Vicki spend some time with him. Just let me go in and give him a kiss from me and Hope.   You can drive me home and check on the boys too."

 Blair looked at Vicki and Starr and knew it was the right thing to do. She didn't blame Vicki for wanting some alone time with Todd, she had already gotten some great time with him and had hopes there would be more, but Vicki had just found out he was alive. It was fitting she should have some time with him right now. " Certainly Vicki, it's only fair. I agree, I think he needs you right now, too. Do you want me to call Charlie and let him know where you are?  I know the last few days have been in such turmoil concerning Jessica and Natalie. Are you sure you're up to this?"

 Vicki said, " I'm stronger than you think. Todd was in that crypt for a reason and I sense it had to do with Victor again. If he's battling demons then he needs someone who's been there to battle with him. I’m going to do just that. I'll be fine.  I would appreciate if you would call Charlie but don't alarm him, he's been through some rough times too. Starr, go give your father some encouraging love. I'll wait."

 Starr went in and stood by her father's head. She leaned down and whispered in his ear. " Dear Sir Dragon you must rest, I and Princess Shorty would be lost without you. How else are we going to get back up to our castle in the sky? We love you!" She gave him a kiss on the forehead and let her mother say goodnight to him too.

 "Goodnight Todd, we're not finished yet. Remember you and me against the world, I'm holding you to it." Blair gently kissed his lips and moved some hair off his face. She stood up and left the room with Starr. "We'll be back in the morning, take care of him," she said to Vicki with a hug and then they left.

 Vicki went to her brother's side. He looked so tired and pale. She looked at the monitors and for now his heart was beating pretty regularly. She couldn't help but think of the cruel joke that life had played on them. The last time she had seen Todd in this hospital was when their father died. Todd had been trying to get Victor's bogus will to Mitch replaced with one that would keep the Lord money and holdings in the Lord Family, but he had failed. What had been so touching about the moments following Victor's death was that Todd had been concerned for her more than anything else. He had wanted Victor to own up to his crimes against Vicki and had felt like the old man had managed to cheat Vicki once again.

 Vicki sat down next to Todd and just looked at him. She knew the man on the bed was her brother like she knew how to breathe. She felt the connection immediately like strings that had gotten knotted up and couldn't get untangled. It was ironic that she was sitting here praying that Todd's heart was stronger than hers had been. What a joke, all of her father's machinations to get a heart to make him immortal.  It was obvious the Lord heart was no bargain.  Both She and Todd were proof of that.

 Todd started moaning, the doctors had said he was sleeping. She could see his eyes moving under his lids. He must be having a nightmare. She reached up and took his hand. "Todd, it's alright, you're safe. I'm here. You're not alone." for a moment his hand had grabbed onto hers like a vise then it slowly relaxed, she let the air out she had been holding. For a brief moment Todd's heart rate had increased and started beating irregularly. She had been so afraid it would seize again. For a while he seemed to rest peacefully, then he took a turn, his temperature started to spike and he began to toss and turn. Suddenly he grabbed her hand.

 "Vicki" he whispered. His eyes were opened but she didn't think he was aware. "Vicki we've got to get out of here. You can't stay. You're not safe here. Father's here, he's coming for me. He wants my heart, he told me. If he sees you, he'll hurt you again. You need to get help. I can't escape for long. They were holding me down Vicki. Peter and Victor; they told me I was worthless. Vicki, I tried to get free, but Peter wouldn't let me go. He told Father he would hold me and Father could do what he pleased. God, Vicki I tried.. I tried to get free but I couldn't I was bound I couldn't get loose. Vicki, Father! Vicki, he smelled like Death, I saw Him. He was standing over me with a knife and he said he wanted my heart. I thought I saw Sam, but then I couldn't see him anymore. Vicki, you have to get help!”  

 Todd’s eyes looked at a place behind Vicki and suddenly he squeezed her hand hard. “Look out Vicki, he's here, Father's here, go hide. Don't let him see you. No Father, don't take my heart, PLEASE NO!" Todd started to get up.
.
It was everything Vicki could do, to keep Todd on the bed. Alarms had started going off and soon the doctors and nurses were in there. The heart doctor gave Todd a sedative and stayed till his heart once again stabilized. The sedative put Todd into a deep sleep where he wouldn't dream.

 Vicki watched anxiously as the doctors settled Todd once more. Her own heart was doing a number as she recalled what she had just heard. Was it possible that what she had just heard, was what Todd experienced in the tomb the night he disappeared? If it were true then no wonder he fled those memories. Todd's trauma with his father Peter had already done a number on him years ago. What if Blair had been right. Blair had believed that Todd had been encased with Victor. Could Mitch had been that cruel. Todd had talked about Victor's smelling of Death. My God, he'd been buried alive. He couldn't have lasted long without oxygen. If he was deprived too long, he must have truly believed he was with Peter and Victor. Someone had removed Todd from the Tomb. Most likely it had been Mitch and someone had carved that second scar. In his delirium Todd had been seeing Victor come at him with the knife. When he thought Victor was indeed going to take his heart , Samuel must have taken his place. It was beginning to make sense. That's why they had never met Samuel earlier. In Todd's mind Samuel was Sam, the man he had always counted on and loved like a father. Todd had turned himself over to Samuel for protection.

 Vicki's eyes filled with tears as she realized everything her brother went through that night. She'd had believed like everyone else that her brother had once again done something horrendous when he disappeared. She couldn't have been more wrong. To top that guilt, was the guilt of knowing that she had accepted Walker as her brother without really investigating if were really true. Of course they had all been fooled by Walker. What didn't excuse her was that she hadn't helped Blair more right after Todd disappeared. If she had put her contacts to work when he first disappeared all of the last eight years might have been different. She wiped her eyes. It was behind them and none of it mattered now. Now she was here and she would stand behind him and help him get his life back. First they had to get him better. Then they would face the firestorm that was about to overtake Llanview.

 Todd was resting more comfortably. Vicki took the moment to step out and get some tea from the nurses station. Everyone had been very supportive because they thought they were watching over her cousin. Luckily no one on staff knew her brother except Marty and Marty was currently having her own problems at St.Anns. She took the tea back into Todd's room and sat down again. The doctors reported that his vitals were improving and they were removing him from the critical list. He was still considered high risk for another heart attack so he was remaining in CCU for the time being. They were also concerned that he hadn't come around yet, and had ordered certain tests to make sure he hadn't sustained any neurological damage from lack of oxygen. Vicki prayed that the tests would come back negative. It would help if he would wake up. Vicki heard the door open and looked to find Blair entering the room.

 "How's he doing, Vicki, has he been awake yet." Blair inquired. She was carrying a bag with her. " I've brought you something to eat. You have to take care of yourself, Todd has no idea you've had your own share of heart troubles. He would never forgive me if I let something happen to you. I talked to Charlie and Natalie, they know you're here and I told them they didn't have to come up that I would keep you company. They both seemed a little relieved that I was going to be here because of what they're going through right now. You can go if you need to and I'll call if he wakes. Has he said anything?"

 "I'm not going anywhere till all of the tests come back and he awakes. I need to be here when he does. You need to sit down. Something happened last night and I think it was crucial to Todd's sanity, you need to hear this. " Vicki gestured to the chair close to her and Blair sat down. " Last night, Todd was semiconscious for a time, he began telling me something, I don't think he was really aware  at that moment; I believe he was reliving his last moments in the Tomb the night he disappeared. Blair, I think you were right. I think Mitch sealed Todd in the tomb next to our father. The terror he lived during the time he was in there played havoc with his mind. What he went through was real to him and when he could take no more he left, and Samuel took his place. I also think Samuel is Todd's way of hanging on to Sam. He received that second scar that night and I think Mitch gave it to him. From what Todd told me, I don't think he has any memory of Mitch actually cutting him. I think Samuel took over before that occurred."

 "My god Vicki, You really believe Todd was entombed with Victor for a time. He must have been terrified. It's a miracle he's not insane. Did he say anything else?" asked Blair.

 "He didn't have a chance. His heart started acting up and it took several long minutes to stabilize him. They gave him a sedative to make him sleep deeper and he's been sleeping quietly for the last few hours. They've taken him for a couple of neurological tests to make sure he didn't sustain any damage when his heart stopped. That's what I’ve been waiting for and also some sign he might be waking up." Vicki got up and walked around a little bit. "Blair, I know there were reporters at the cemetery last night.   Have you seen anything yet?"

 "I haven't seen a paper this morning. You're right, there must be some questions out there now. I'll go to the gift shop and get the papers. Who knows what they saw last night?" Blair got up and headed for the door." I'll be right back."

 Vicki wandered over to her brother. "Todd, I'm sorry. After everything you went through with Peter, you shouldn't have had to deal with our Father. All your fears of the man and what he did to me, played on your mind so much you were unable to separate illusion from reality. Please come back Todd, it's time to wake up. We can face your terrors." She gently stroked his cheek, thinking of all he had been through in his life. She looked up to his eyes and realized he was looking at her. "Todd, are you awake? Can you hear me?" She held her breath because she wasn't sure if she was talking to Todd or one of the others.

            "Hi, Sis. Miss me?" Todd smiled. Todd looked at his sister for the first time in eight years. She was as beautiful as he remembered, the years had been kind to her. She had some tears in her eyes so he started to reach for them. "Ow, what the hell.." he winced, his chest felt like someone had been using it for a punching bag.

"Easy, just take it easy. Todd you've had three heart attacks in less than 24 hours. You need to lie back and relax, I'm going to ring for the doctor." Vicki reached for the call button and pressed it. The doctor arrived quickly and checked out Todd, then spent the next few minutes explaining to Todd everything that had occurred concerning his attacks and subsequent treatment. Vicki watched her brother closely as he was being examined. She could tell Todd was still experiencing residual effects from the trauma he'd recalled. She saw the tightening of his jaw as the doctor was feeling along his ribcage, she knew he really didn't want to be touched. Todd had watched the doctor the entire time waiting for any move that might hurt him. Vicki saw Todd's tension release as soon as the man left, then Todd turned his gaze back to her.  She smiled at him and finally answered his question. "Yes Todd I missed you. Now I know you're feeling a little spent but are you up to a few questions."

Todd grimaced he had a feeling he knew what her first question was going to be. That day in the cemetery when she was blasting him for his betrayal he had never felt so bad. He had almost admitted the truth but had known she wouldn't believe him. He let her believe the worst, because she hadn't been totally wrong. He had used her. He knew what Victor had done to her and how she had struggled with her alters. It had been cruel to use that to his advantage. Now she knew the truth. She knew he also had alters and she knew he lived with them very differently than her.  It was time to admit the truth and take the consequences. He looked at her and nodded. " Go ahead."

"Todd, are you alone?" Vicki asked quietly.

Boy, he hadn't expected that. Might as well get this over with. "No." he replied.

Vicki takes a deep breath, " Can I talk to Tom ?"

"Wow, this is a great room!  Hi Vicki. long time no see. Boy, Todd sure has missed you. but I took care of him when he was gone. Gee, that was a long time. He hasn't been up for very long and we've been working night and day to get him out." Tom said.

Vicki sat stunned. She had speculated that Todd knew his alters, but she never realized how much control he had to come and go. "Tom thank you for taking care of him. Can I talk to him again."

"Sure thing, Hey Todd she wants to talk to you again." Tom was gone.

"I'm sorry Vicki, I really am. What we did was unforgivable. This might sound strange, but they're like my brothers. They've kept me company for so long, that when I went catatonic they took it into their own hands to help me out. When I regained some control everything was out of my hands. I didn't want to go to jail, so I let them retain control. The day of the trial is a blank for me, I remember being with Tea briefly the night before but don't remember anything again until Tea and I were at your lodge. When I came back I knew it was best to let you continue to believe I was a pretender. I just wanted to be here with whatever family I had. As always I messed up again." Todd stopped talking. He was finding it hard to breathe.

            Vicki had been listening intently, letting him talk. When he suddenly stopped. She looked up and saw the monitors. Todd's heart rate was increasing again. She quickly went to him. Cradling his hands in hers, she began reassuring him "Todd, it's alright. I'm not upset. I understand more than you know. Don't panic, take your breaths as slowly and deeply as you are able. That's it, I've got you. I'm not going anywhere right now. Blair's going to be here shortly. Starr and the baby will be here later. Relax. Don't try to talk anymore. There you go. It's ok, go to sleep." Vicki watched as the heart rate slowed back down. When she looked back at Todd he had fallen asleep again. She tried to move her hands, but he gripped them tightly, so she sat next to him on the bed and let him hold them till he was fully asleep. She sat back down in her chair and rested her head in her arms against the edge of the bed. She was tired and drained by the events of the last few days, the tears welled up and started flowing as she sobbed quietly for her brother. Though half asleep he heard her, Todd gently laid his hand on her shoulder and fell back asleep.



*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!