WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Who's the Real Todd? Chapter 32

Todd looked up, grinned and sat down on the floor. "Hi Sis." he grabbed Bree and began tickling her till she begged him to stop then he set her back on her feet and got up. "Just getting acquainted with my great niece." he smiled at Jessica and then gave his sister a kiss on her cheek. "I came to ask your help, and to issue an invite. This goes for you too, Jessica. I'm getting married tomorrow night and want you there. Well actually Samuel is getting married, but you know what I mean." Jessica gave him a puzzled look, but Todd didn't elaborate and Vicki merely nodded. "Anyway, I had something I needed your help with, got a few moments."

Jessica sensed he wanted to talk to her mom alone so she took Bree's hand and said. "I need to get this one a snack, you two talk. Todd, I'd love to attend your wedding.  I take it you're marrying Blair." She smiled when Todd merely nodded, "Then I'll be there. Count on it." and she left.

Vicki smiled and said "You're looking better than the last time I saw you. So you and Blair decided on tomorrow, what can I help you with."

"I need to borrow the services of your gardener. Up by your cabin is a field of wildflowers. I want to fill the house with wildflowers, none of those hothouse plants for me. I want to let Blair know that she is everything wild and free like those flowers. Can I borrow him tomorrow? Since the wedding is set for sunset, I figured he could get them in place during the day. I want it to be special for her. You know what I mean, right?" Todd sounded a little embarrassed as he tried to explain what he wanted.

"Todd you can certainly borrow him, but maybe you should let me take care of organizing and setting up your venue. Now are you having the wedding at the penthouse than, is that the house you're referring to?" she asked.

"Well no, see, that's my wedding present to Blair. The wedding will take place at Dragonheart. It's my estate up on Llantano Mountain. I'll give you the directions." he answered. " I bought the land years ago and had the plans put away but Samuel found them and had the house built. Blair hasn't seen it yet and with everyone's help I'll be able to surprise her with it tomorrow. I just hope she loves it as much as I do."

He sounded just like Tom, so eager and anxious for Blair to like his surprise. "Don't worry Todd. I'm sure she'll love it. So I'll plan on going up in the morning with the gardener and we'll get the house prepared for the wedding, do you have your minister for the ceremony. If not I can asked my vicar. "

"No that's unnecessary, Andrew has agreed to try one more time. Although he told me in no uncertain terms if I screwed this time up, he was washing his hands of me." Todd knew he needed to get back to the penthouse, so he gave Vicki the directions and the key to the estate and said, "So I guess I'll see you tomorrow." he gave her a quick peck and rushed out.

Jessica came back into the room and found her mom looking out the window she seemed sad. "Mom, what's the matter? How long have you known Todd was in town."

"He's been in town since late February but you were already Tess. Jessica, you can't tell anyone he's here. If you talk about him you have to call him Samuel. What I'm about to tell you is for your ears only. Todd isn't well. He's got a bad heart and I've almost lost him to several heart attacks. His life is also in danger from Carlo Hesser. There have been two attempts on his life already and one of them almost succeeded. It's crucial that Hesser doesn't find out he knows he's Todd. Samuel and the others kept him alive for all those years, so he could come home. I don't want to lose him again." Vicki wiped the tears from her eyes, she hadn't told Jessica about the upcoming surgery because she didn't want to think about it any more than Todd did. She wanted tomorrow to be a happy time for him so she was going to do everything she could to make it happen.

Jessica could tell her mom was still upset but she had to ask one more question. " Mom, what did you mean when you said Samuel and the others kept him alive? Samuel was just an identity he made up because he couldn't remember who he was. Who are these others you're talking about?"

Vicki looked at her daughter and said. "Samuel is much more than an identity. He's a part of Todd, as are Tom, Rodd, Pete, and Ms. Perkins. Todd was not faking DID all those years ago. He suffers from it the same way you and I do."

"But that can't be, what about the tape the night of his wedding to Tea. We all heard him say it was a lie. Why would he do that if it was indeed the truth?"Jessica asked.

"I don't know, I think Todd didn't really want us to know. I think he let Pete sabotage everything because deep down Todd would rather be considered a liar than admit he was ill. But when he came back here as Samuel, Todd had no choice. Todd was trapped and Samuel was in charge. Todd only escaped after he went to Victor's Tomb to face what Mitch had done that night long ago. I found him on the floor in the throes of a heart attack. and with Blair's and Starr's help, we got him to the hospital.  It was there that Blair told me of encountering Samuel in Paris and how subsequently Samuel made his way here. Samuel and Todd have both been working diligently to find and bring down Carlo Hesser. But now something has happened and Todd has pushed up the Wedding, even though Carlo is still on the loose. Tomorrow he and Blair will get married and I pray he has the time to make this marriage last." Vicki left the room on that cryptic statement leaving Jessica both confused and worried for her uncle.

Todd reached the penthouse with a few minutes to spare before John's people were to arrive. John had agreed with his wishes and not assigned a new officer to protect him. Todd walked into his living room and put his keys away then went to the desk to look at the picture Carlo had left the night before. He picked it up carefully to not get any more prints on it than he already had. He was praying Carlo had left viable prints on the picture and elsewhere in the apartment. He then wandered into Samuel's studio and picked up a new canvas and set it in place for Samuel to work on when they got back from their honeymoon. The doorbell rang and Todd went to get the door. He opened it and stood stunned when he saw who John had sent.

She was busy checking supplies when she heard the door open and started to introduce herself. "Mr. Toddman, My name is Natalie ...." she stopped as she found herself looking into the face of a man she hadn't seen in eight years.

Before she could say anything else, Todd stepped outside the apartment and closed the door. "Don't say anything Natalie." he looked at both her and the man with her and said. "Before you come in you need to know a few things. You, sir, have been told of my pest problem. If you would be so good as to go on in I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding them. Give me a moment to talk to your colleague and then we'll be in." he opened the door for the gentlemen who was going to try and trace the bugs and then he turned back to Natalie. She had been quiet all during his instructions to her co-worker and now she merely stared at him waiting for his explanation.

"My apologies Natalie, I didn't know you worked for the police department. I would have made sure that John sent over someone else had I known. I'll be glad to have a long discussion with you after you finish what you've come here to do. I'm not an impostor masquerading as Samuel Toddman. That is indeed my name and yet I can see in your eyes you believe I'm someone else entirely and you're right. This just isn't the time for explanations. I don't know what John told you about why he sent you here but I'm working with Bo and John to bring in Carlo Hesser and he made an unexpected visit here last night. I asked John to send someone over to take prints to verify that he was really here. I will tell you right now that Carlo Hesser wants me dead.  If he finds out I'm Todd Manning, he'll make it happen.  He believes I'm Samuel Toddman and that I still haven't remembered my true identity. He needs to keep believing that. All that being said. Do you think you can hold your curiosity in and act like you are here on behalf of your mother, my distant cousin? To the City of Llanview, I'm Samuel Toddman, a distant cousin of the Lords, and the new owner of the Sun. We can discuss you and your sister while you dust. Remember the bugs in the house are active right now and someone is monitoring my conversations." Todd stopped talking and waited for his niece's answer.

Natalie had listened in stunned silence from the moment he had told her not to say anything. She was trying to process what her eyes and ears were telling her. All these years a man had been walking around town with a new face, claiming to be Todd Manning. They had all accepted him and lived and worked with him and yet here standing in front of her, in flesh and blood, stood the real Todd Manning. She knew it in her bones. She had so many questions but she knew he was right, she had a job to do. "Alright, Mr. Toddman, let's get this show on the road."

Todd opened the door and spoke aloud "Hello my dear, you must be Natalie. I've heard so much about you from your mother. Please come in and tell me how that new son of yours is doing. I heard about the unfortunate accident you had and his kidnapping, I'm so glad he was returned to you. You must have been frantic."

Natalie heard real concern coming from her uncle and took a good look at him again. This man was different from the man who had disappeared eight years before. She wondered what had brought about such a change and knew she would have to have a long chat with her mother. "Mom told me your name was Samuel, may I call you that," she asked still playing along, all the while opening her kit to begin her work.

"But of course my dear, and I hope you will allow me to call you Natalie. Now tell me what name did you give to your new son," asked Todd as he handed her the picture of Blair that Carlo had given him. She carefully dusted it and photographed it and the prints that showed up on it.

"His name is Liam and he's really beginning to grow now. I never knew what a difference a child could make in your life. He really is a miracle." said Natalie and then she found herself facing Samuel's gallery.

"Children are the miracles given to us that give us purpose in our lives," replied Todd. "Do you like my gallery. You are looking at my muses. They kept me sane during my dark empty life in Paris. Meeting Blair brought me closer to a family I didn't realize I had. It brought me here. As you are a member of my extended family I would be honored if you could join me and Blair tomorrow evening when we exchange wedding vows."

Natalie didn't know what to say. Her relationship with her uncle had started out bumpy because she had come to town to hurt Vicki and he had resented that but then they had made a kind of tentative truce when her husband Mitch Lawrence had revealed his true colors and attacked her family. She knew some of the stories of Todd's disappearance and the part Mitch had played in all that, but it appeared Todd wasn't holding Mitch against her. The fact that he was working with Bo and John, was a big change and now he was inviting her to his wedding. She was still a little raw about weddings as her own didn't happen, but if her mother was attending she just might make the effort. Maybe it was time to put the past behind, and move forward into the future. "Samuel, I think I would love to attend. Thank you for asking. It's time this family got back to its roots and supported one another and welcomed you into it wholeheartedly."

Todd was shocked. He hadn't expected that response from Natalie and it shook him up a little bit. He found himself at a loss for words and could only look at her for a moment. Once again something broke free inside and he felt a sense of belonging to a family that had always been lacking. Because of his history with Kevin, only Vicki and Jessica had ever really accepted him into the family. He had told himself that was alright, he didn't need them but deep down he had always hated that he remained an outsider. It had hurt and only Blair knew how much. He finally found his voice. "Excellent, you're mother has the directions and the time. This is delightful. You've just made my day."

Natalie smiled and continued with the dusting she found several different prints on the frame of Tea's portrait and dusted and took pictures of them then moved to the studio. "May I see what else you've painted." She asked.

Todd nodded and said, "By all means, You'll notice the new one I've started of your mother, perhaps you let me paint a portrait of you and Liam."

Natalie looked at the paintings in Samuel's small studio. She couldn't believe that her uncle had painted them. It was such a different aspect of the Todd Manning she had known. Almost as if he was a different person entirely. The person who painted all of these pictures had a deep love for his subjects and although she knew Todd loved her mother she had never thought of him as sentimental. Still, these pictures told her that deep inside he cared for them all. When he had mentioned that his muses had kept him sane for all those years, she wished she knew the entire story. In those few words, he had conveyed sorrow and loss and then the joy of discovery. What had really happened all those years ago? "These are truly beautiful and I would love a picture of Liam and me. Maybe someday in the future, you'll be able to do one for me. " As she spoke she suddenly saw a slight frown touch his face as if he was worried about something but the look passed quickly and he smiled.

"Yes perhaps after things settle down after the honeymoon I'll be able to get back to work painting. I'm so glad you were able to stop by and visit today. I look forward to seeing you and your son tomorrow." he helped her gather her things and walked her out. Outside the apartment, they waited for the expert who was still inside with the bugs and he looked at Natalie once more. "The invitation was real Natalie. I do hope you join us tomorrow I want to start fresh with you. You're my niece and I know I wasn't very nice when we first met. I apologize for letting Mitch get his hands on you all those years ago and I'm glad he didn't succeed with his plans. One thing I do know is that when your mother loves someone she means it. She gives me love even though I don't deserve it and she'll always love both of her daughters. Remember that."

Natalie smiled at her uncle and said. "I will. Now you be careful, Mom wouldn't want to lose you again. Let us get Carlo Hesser. If these are his prints then we'll know he's still in the surrounding area. You worry about showing up tomorrow and getting some of that happiness you were telling me about. I think you deserve it as much as the next guy. So I'm rooting for you."

The technician walked out of the apartment and said." I think we got a possible lead. I'll get the information to John and we'll start eradicating your problem one bug at a time, so whoever is listening will think they just got faulty equipment. Of course, that means you still have to watch what you say for a few days."

"That won't be a problem, after tomorrow the penthouse will be vacant for a while, as I'm going on my honeymoon and while my wife and I are gone my roommate and her child will be moving back to her aunt's home. Hopefully, when we get back the problem will be solved. Thank you for everything and I'll wait for John's report. Natalie, you take care of your son and I'll see you tomorrow." He watched them get on the elevator and returned inside. He had a little over an hour to kill before Blair arrived for their dinner with Larry. 

The next few hours were going to be some of the hardest he had ever lived through. He got himself a drink and sat down thinking of everything that had transpired. Going over his conversations with both Natalie and Jessica and then recalling Ray's talk, he had really been down when he had arrived to speak to Ray, but Ray had turned him around and now he was glad. He had reconnected with Jessica and that had felt right but perhaps the most surprising encounter had been with Natalie. She had accepted the truth, without a ton of questions, and then had actually made him feel good by just welcoming him into the family. It was possible if he survived his honeymoon that he might finally achieve the happiness he had been searching for. He raised his glass to Blair's painting. "Here's to us Blair, it's time to roll the dice and see what's in store for us next. As long as I have you I think I can make it." he felt two arms go around his waist and her cheek against his shoulder. She whispered. "That goes both ways." he turned to embrace his fiance, silently vowing never to let her go.

Todd rolled out of bed thinking about the previous night. It had taken him forever to fall asleep after their dinner with Larry. He walked to the dresser and picked up the records that Larry had provided. Inside the envelope was also his meeting time for the consult with Michael McBain and the tentative time scheduled for the surgery he was going to undertake. It was fast becoming very real that he might be looking at his last few days. Like he had told Blair, the die had now been cast and his fate was in God's hands. If he could have avoided this surgery, he would have done so in an instant but even Larry said it was too late. One way or another the implant needed to be taken out. If he left it in, it was certain to kill him, at least he gave himself a chance at life if he tried to remove it and succeeded. He didn't have the luxury of waiting. Todd walked over and placed the records in his suitcase then he began loading it with his clothes for the honeymoon. He grabbed the suitcase and his Tuxedo and took them downstairs.

After breakfast, Todd called the paper and made sure the announcement was going to be on the front page. Grabbing everything he needed for the rest of the day he headed out, he wanted to make sure that everything was going okay at the estate and he had forgotten to alert Vicki that delivery men would be bringing some furniture for the master suite. He stopped at the caterers and verified the time of their arrival. His next stop was a meeting with the musicians, then with everything in place he drove up to the estate.

Vicki had gotten an early start making sure that her groundskeeper and his crew had headed up to the cabin to collect the wildflowers Todd had requested. They had arrived back with a truckload full of wildflowers and Vicki gasped at the beautiful sight all of them made in the truck. She understood then why Todd had asked for them. They all grabbed bundles of flowers and soon her terrace was full of various bouquets. Jessica and Bree were in awe when they came down for breakfast, it was like walking into a mountain meadow. Vicki had made a couple of baskets with loose petals for Bree and Hope, then she had the containers loaded up and she headed up to the estate followed by the groundskeeper and the flowers.

She pulled onto the driveway as it wound through the trees and noticed that a clearing was approaching. Upon entering the clearing she was stunned at the sight that greeted her. She stopped her car so she could take it all in. The home was magnificent. It blended perfectly with its surroundings like Nature had fashioned it from stone and wood, polishing and refining every angle and facet. This was Todd's gift to Blair, every feature meticulously thought out. Vicki quickly got back in her car. If this was the outside she was eager to see what Todd had designed for the inside. She took the key he had given her and walked to the front door admiring his fanciful dragons. Then she opened the door and just stood there. The design of his entranceway tugged at her heart as light flowed into the room through the many windows. She walked under the arch of the stairway into Todd's gathering room and was drawn to the opposite wall, looking out at the view from the back terrace as the clearing opened to the valley below. Todd had said the wedding was to be at sunset and now she knew why. The room faced West and the sunset light would fill the room.

"So what do you think Sis, will she like it?" asked Todd from behind her.

She turned around and beamed at him. "She'll positively love it. It's truly lovely Todd."

"Would you like to see the rest before you set up the flowers?" Todd asked eager to see her reaction.

She laughed. "Most certainly, lead the way."

Todd showed her around the downstairs as the rooms fanned out on both sides of the family room. The wing to the left contained a large kitchen attached to an equally beautiful dining room and breakfast nook and wine vault, another beautiful stairway led from the kitchen up to the floor overhead. The wing on the right contained what was obviously meant to be Todd's study and office but what she found truly endearing was that a room had been designed for children, she was sure at the time he had designed it for Starr and Jack but now he would be able to allow Hope, Bree, Sam and eventually when they were older Ryder and Liam to come and play. Todd loved children and hopefully, when everything was resolved, he would be able to enjoy the lives of the little ones and watch them grow. Also in that wing was a gracious art studio with windows from floor to ceiling for ample light, a gym for Todd to stay fit including a private sauna, and the last room opened into a music room which had a small recording studio attached. Todd had lovingly thought of everyone when he made the design.

Todd took her upstairs at the top of the arch they entered a small hallway with three entrances. The left entrance opened to a wing with two complete suites of rooms as did the right entrance. The middle entrance opened to a master suite with the piece de resistance the bedroom that overlooked the valley just as the room below had. Vicki was close to tears knowing the love that had gone into each aspect of Todd's design. He had gone to the window and was lost in thought. Vicki had an inkling he was thinking of what was ahead and she drew close to him and tucked her hand around his elbow and said. "Todd, you designed all of this with Blair and the children in mind. You never expected this dream to come true but Samuel did and he had it built. I need you to have faith that all the rest of your dreams will finally come true. What's ahead is scary for us all but I have faith in you because to me, you're a miracle. You've never given in even when you were at your lowest. I know you'll fight with everything in you and you're going to defeat this monster like all the rest you've faced. How do I know this? Because You're My Brother, the One and Only Todd Manning.

Todd looked down at his sister and said "This is why I came looking for you this morning. I needed to hear one of your little talks. You don't know how many times Samuel heard your voice in his head giving him encouragement. I missed that Vicki. I'm grateful you're still here."

"I'm grateful you're still here too, but we need to get moving. I've got a venue to prepare. Todd, did you plan on giving your guests someplace to sit during the ceremony?"

"Sit, heck no. I figured they could stand and as soon as it's over everyone could leave." Todd said perfectly serious.

Vicki looked at him and he suddenly grinned. "Alright, I guess I'll give them something to sit on. Would the floor do?" At that, Vicki punched his shoulder, and laughing he took her hand and they walked back downstairs.  Vicki went out the front door and found a delivery truck and the caterers' truck arriving. Todd saw to the delivery men as Vicki directed the caterer to the kitchen and then put the groundskeeper and his people to work setting the flowers around the room. The caterers had brought the chairs for the event, so they were put in place facing the window. Vicki was then moved to send her groundskeeper for more wildflowers as she envisioned them scattered strategically around the front. She gave him specific instructions to dig them up and bring them back to be planted. She then went back to work finishing the interior until the design was pleasant to the eyes. Todd stood back and watched his dream unfold, as his fairytale venue came to life under his sister's hand.



*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!