WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Saturday, March 4, 2017

Memories Unlocked #28

# 28


Blair finished her call with Nora.  She was drained.  She just wanted to go lay down in her bed and let herself cry.  Vicki was right, she had been so anxious to get Todd home, that she had completely forgotten he would need some special changes to help him navigate the house.  Now he was going to be staying at the Palace and like the hospital, she had a feeling he would find a way to extend his stay there.  She needed someone getting to work on making it feasible for him to come join them as soon as possible.  As she started up the stairs the doorbell rang.  It was irrational but Blair got a sudden hope that maybe Todd had come after his talk with Vicki.  She rushed to the door.


“Did Vicki change your mind?” she said as she opened it.  “Oh.” Her happiness deflated like a balloon as she saw Sam standing outside the door.


“Where have you been?  I’ve been calling since I got back into town from the airport.    Bo refused to tell me any more about what happened on the plane.  He said I would find out soon enough. What the hell kind of story did Todd feed you?  He’s even got Bo wondering.”


“Sam, what are you going on about, and why the hell was Bo trying to arrest Todd this afternoon?” Blair watched Sam enter and head to the living room.  She followed, intent on finding out what Sam knew.  


“Blair, you know what kind of man Todd is.  How could you fall for his stories again? Did he talk you into helping him pretend to be paralyzed so he could gain sympathy from all of us?”


Before Sam could continue, Blair slapped him. “Don’t you dare say another word.  I thought you of all people would know that Todd’s not faking anything.  I’m well aware that he is capable of pretending something like this, I thought the same thing when I first saw him.  But he’s not, Sam, he really doesn’t remember, and the injury to his spine and back is very real. I’ve spent the last two weeks talking to him and trying to see some sign that he finally remembers our love for each other and … and…  it’s not...there? Blair’s voice caught as all the feelings from earlier assailed her.  She collapsed on the couch and started crying.


Stunned by the slap, Sam stood there frozen and then realized Blair was telling the truth.  He heard her pain as she cried and walked over and gently patted her shoulder.  His mind was in turmoil and he felt like a grade-A heel.  He had been so stung by Todd’s betrayal in 1998.  Then Todd had returned and had seemed sincere about changing his life but instead, he had once again spiraled out of control.  His latest actions with Jack had only strengthened Sam’s belief that Todd would never learn from his mistakes.  Was I wrong to think that Todd had used another illness to gain sympathy all over again?  He felt Blair’s shuddering breaths as she sobbed. It appears so.  “Come on, Blair.  It’s not hopeless.  He’s home at least.  Where is he? I’d like to talk to him and tell him I’m sorry.”


Blair cried even harder.


****


Todd wheeled his chair out of the fancy Limo.  The driver, who had previously picked up the whole family at the airport, had switched to a handicapped-accessible car the Limo company had.  He rolled to a stop in front of the driver.  “Say, it’s Williams, right?


Williams looked at Todd strangely, “Yes, Mr. Manning.”


“How would you like to be my personal driver along with this great car.  According to my wife, I can pay and it would definitely make it easier to get around this city.  Let me know and I’ll contact your employer.”


“Mr. Manning, you are my employer.  Mrs. Manning instructed me to get this vehicle when I dropped her off at the house.  Luckily the Limo service in town was able to provide it..  It will probably take a couple of weeks to purchase another car like it, but the company had no problem letting us have this one as long as we need it.”


“I see.  Well, that’s great then.  If you’ll get my luggage, I’ll go get my room.”  Todd rolled away and entered the hotel.  He looked around.  There was a grandeur about the place that suggested it catered to the wealthy.  Todd cringed.  It wasn’t really his taste but it was the best hotel in Llanview. Todd headed for the front desk where he saw a woman helping another couple.  After they headed for the elevator he moved forward.  “Excuse me, I’m in need of a room.  Would you happened to have one available? Also, any chance you have one Handicapped accessible.”


Renee spun around and looked down at Todd Manning sitting before her in a wheelchair. “What the …Todd, what are you up too?  Is this a joke?”


Todd looked bewildered for a minute then answered. “No ... Oh, I see.  You know me and by your tone, you don’t like me very much.”  He frowned.  Did everyone in the town hate him?  “Look,  I’m not up to anything.  It’s been a long day and I’d just like to get some rest.  Do you have a room?”


Renee raised an eyebrow.. “I’m surprised you’re here.  You’ve never been too impressed with the Palace.  What’s with the chair?  Are you hoping it will make Blair come around?”


“Okay, I get it.  You think I’m playing a game.  Is everyone in this town so suspicious?  Lady, I don’t know who you are or why I should bother answering your question.  I’m too tired to fight with you, and it’s none of your business why I’m in this chair.  Blair knows the reason and she’s the one who brought me back to this town.  I’ve been given to understand by my sister Vicki that if I give things time, everything will work out but I’m sadly losing my patience.”  The woman’s assumption was the last straw on an already trying day. Todd was angry. It had been a while since he had lost his temper but the woman in front of him had pushed him to his limit. “Do you have a damn room or not?!”


The volume of Todd’s last remark made several guests turn their eyes toward the front desk and Renee realized that Todd was attracting some attention.  “Todd, please, there’s no need for a scene. Now let’s see.  Yes, I have one suite that is handicapped equipped on the third floor.  Will that do?”


Todd took a deep breath and rolled his shoulders trying to alleviate the tension that had been growing since landing.  “That will be fine. Just give me the key.  Williams can finish filling out whatever you need.” After he received the key, he turned to where Williams was waiting patiently. “Williams, I’d like you to come to my room for a minute after you finish down here.  Thanks.”  He rolled away from the counter anxious to get out from under all the prying eyes that now followed him.  Another guest held the elevator for him and soon after that, he rolled into his suite.


The interior of the suite was more modern than the lobby and Todd breathed a sigh of relief when he saw the bathroom.  The whole room would do nicely.  Williams showed up right behind the bellboy.  Todd gave the bellboy a tip, then had Williams close the door. “Um, I know this isn’t something you were hired for but I need a favor.”


“What can I do to help?”


Todd rolled up the right pant leg exposing the brace he was wearing. “Can you help me get this blasted thing off.” A few minutes later, his leg was free.  Todd began rubbing his leg.  “You have no idea how good it feels to have that thing off.  I know it’s supposed to give me support if I want to walk but all it does is make the pins and needles in my leg more intense.”


“You don’t have one on the other leg. Is there a reason, Mr. Manning?”


“You might say.  I’m not getting much in the way of feeling in that leg and I have no control of any of the muscles, so a brace wouldn’t do much good right now.”  Todd dropped the pant leg back down and set the brace on his lap.  “As for the brace, I think I’ll leave it off until I get a therapist here.  Hey, do you have a moment?”


“Yes, sir.”


“You told me you work for me.  How long?”


“I’ve worked on and off for you since 1995.”


“It seems that a lot of people in town don’t like me.  Am I that big an asshole?” he looked at Williams and realized he was putting the driver on the spot. “Look, don’t worry, I won’t fire you. I just need an honest answer.”


“As employers go, Sir, you’ve always seemed pretty fair to me.  You’re your own man and you don’t let it bother you that some people don’t like you.  Fools annoy you and yes you have a number of enemies from your younger days.  Still, Mrs. Manning and the children have really missed you, I can tell you that.  While you were missing, I would take Ms. Starr to school and all she would talk about was you.”


Todd felt a little uncomfortable when Williams brought up Blair and Starr. “Right, umm, thanks for that. So if I hear you right, I’m pretty much persona-non-grata in this town accept to my family. Okay, well that’s just dandy.” He rubbed the brace on his lap.  Although unable to walk, he had been needed and liked in Guam.  It appeared he had come home only to find himself in hostile territory and that was a little disheartening.  He looked back up at Williams.  “I appreciate your honesty and for sticking around to help me.”


Williams reached into his pocket and pulled out a card.  “Mr. Manning, here’s my number if you need me.  I’m available at all times.”


Todd took the card and pocketed it. “Well, I’ll probably be giving you a call in the morning then.  Thanks again for your help.”


Not used to thanks from Mr. Manning, Williams gave a slow nod. “Understood Sir, I’ll wait for your call.” At that, he turned and left.   


****


Renee was deep in thought when Asa came walking in.


“Hey Darlin’, how about joining me for a drink.  I just made a heap of money outsmarting some fool who thought he could take Asa Buchanan for a ride and I feel like celebrating.”  When Renee didn’t answer him, he reached out and touched her shoulder.


Renee almost jumped out of her skin at Asa’s touch.  “What?!!! Oh, Asa, I’m sorry.  What did you say?”


“What’s got you so skittish, Renee?  You were really in a fog just now.”


“My latest guest just caught me by surprise.  I’m afraid he was on my mind when you came in.  Would you like to join me for a drink?”


Hell, yes, Little Lady.  That’s what I asked you a minute ago.  So who’s the scoundrel  that has you all bothered?”


“I never said he was a scoundrel.”


“Renee, there are only two kinds of men in this world, bad ones and good ones.  You wouldn’t be upset by a good one.  So who is he?  Do you want me to get him out of here?”


Renee had to laugh at Asa’s statement.  She turned the front desk over to an employee and walked around the counter and linked her arm in his.  “I don’t think that would be very good for business if I put a man in a wheelchair on the street, even if he is a scoundrel. Let’s get that drink and you can tell me about your success today.”


“Now hold on, Darlin.  You can’t leave me wondering.  Why would a man in a wheelchair bother you? Tell me who he is.”


“He’s Llanview’s favorite person to hate and he’s back.  Who knows what trouble he’ll stir up this time.”


“Lordy, woman, you don’t mean Todd Manning, do you? I thought that skunk had left town for good.”


“So did a lot of other people.  But I guess Blair had other ideas.  According to him. Blair brought him home.  It was strange, Asa.  He acted like he didn’t know me.  When I asked about the wheelchair he got pretty put out.  He wasn’t wearing any casts so I can’t imagine why he needed the chair and he refused to tell me.  Because he started making a scene, I went ahead and gave him a suite and like I said, it wouldn’t look good to kick him out now.”


“Well, it sounds to me like he’s playing another angle.  The man is sharp as a tack when it comes to manipulating others.  I’ll call Bo.   There has to be something Bo can nail him for.”


“Now Asa, just settle down and drink your scotch.  He’ll do something sooner or later, he always does.  He’s playing his part to the hilt.  He even insisted on a handicap suite. Other than the penthouse suites, it’s one of my most expensive rooms and Todd’s always been rather reluctant to spend his money  I have a feeling once he sees the rate, he’ll accuse me of gouging him and he‘ll move back to the penthouse faster than you can say YeeHaw.” She raised her glass and touched Asa’s with a smile..



*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!