WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Thomas Lord: Cloaked Chapter 6

Emil had almost gotten a ticket getting them to a hospital.  He had seen them come out of the docks with the young girl and had heard about all the disappearances. He figured they had found her wandering there. Both men appeared extremely gentle with her and when they had said they wanted to go to the hospital, he had lost no time.  He had a daughter about the girl's age and if she had been missing he would have moved heaven and earth to find her. The two men had spent the drive trying to console her and when he pulled into the emergency bay, he helped them out. When the older one tried to pay him he said."This ride is on me. You take care of the little girl." Emil walked over to the child and said "You'll be okay now. God is with you." he patted her cheek and smiled at the men and drove away.

Todd had gotten cleaned up as best he could while the doctor was checking out Lily. He tossed his jacket in the trash since it reeked the most of alcohol and rejoined his nephew outside her room. "Any word?"

C.J. shook his head, "They brought in another doctor, a woman, it seems Lily was frantic when the male doctor entered the room. I'm worried she's going to be scarred emotionally the rest of her life. She saw me outside that warehouse and let me take her, but she was so subdued as we walked away. Then when we stopped to wait for you, she began to cry and she wouldn't tell me what the problem was. I told her how you helped to free her and that you were the uncle I had told her about when she was younger, the one who had saved me. She looked at me and got the strangest look on her face. I must admit I was shocked when she ran to you, a stranger."

Just then, a nurse emerged and came over to them. Todd heard her approach and looked in her vicinity. "Mr. Roberts, your daughter is asking for you. She also asked if her great uncle was out here." Todd raised his hand and she said. "Oh, well good, she would like to see you too. You gentlemen may go in but keep it brief, she's pretty traumatized and the doctor would like to keep her overnight. The doctor will tell you more."

C.J. looked at Todd and offered his elbow to his uncle so they could go in together. Once in the room, Todd heard several people leave, someone in white came over and introduced herself as the doctor in charge of Lily's case. C.J. headed over to the bed where Todd heard Lily cry "Daddy" and then just sobs.

Todd reached out to touch the doctor and asked."Excuse me, but I have to know. Was she violated?"

The doctor hesitated for just a minute obviously looking for permission from C.J.   Holding Lily, C.J. nodded, he too wanted to know. The doctor shook her head no for C.J.'s benefit, unaware that the man who had his arm on hers couldn't see.

She hadn't answered so Todd asked again. "Please! I'm a relative."

For a moment, the Doctor was puzzled until she spotted Todd's cane. "I'm sorry."

At her first words, Todd thought she meant the worst. "Oh God!" he released the doctor, turning pale.

The doctor said quickly, "No, you misunderstood. I meant I was sorry I didn't know you were blind. She wasn't violated, but she has been mistreated and there are signs she's been drugged. We want to keep her here so we can ascertain what kind of drugs were administered and try to flush her system clean of them."

Todd raised a trembling hand to his forehead, he had envisioned Marty all over again.

Because he was still so pale, The doctor said. "Perhaps you should sit down. I didn't mean to shock you. She's really doing remarkably well except for her fear of men. I'm glad to see she seems alright with her father and she doesn't seem scared of you either. That's a good thing." while the doctor was saying all that she had grabbed a chair and pushed Todd down into it.

The next thing he knew she was taking his pulse. Todd jerked his hand away. "I'm alright, I'm just concerned for her."

That doctor frowned and said. "You're more than a little concerned, your heart rate is extremely high."

"Uncle Todd, maybe you should let her check you out after what happened last night." C.J. didn't like Todd's color any more than the doctor.

"Drop it C.J, it's nothing, it will come back down. I'll just sit here, and I promise to just relax if you'll both drop it. " Todd knew if he let her examine him further, he was going to end up in a bed alongside Lily and he couldn't afford to do that. He had to see this out to the finish and he couldn't do that lying in a hospital.

C.J. realized his uncle wasn't going to let them examine him so he didn't force the issue. "It's okay, Doctor, I'll see that he sits there and takes it easy," the doctor nodded and left.  C.J. remarked. "This evening's romp didn't help matters. If you had all those other guys helping, why didn't you just let them handle things, and you could have just organized the diversion."

Todd began laughing.

"What did I say that was so funny? Are you sure you're alright?" C.J. was concerned, his uncle didn't laugh very much and he wondered if his uncle had had more to drink than he thought.

"They say laughter is good for what ails you, C.J.  What you don't know is, all those other guys were me." Todd chuckled.

"No, I distinctly heard four different voices out there."

"No, you distinctly heard me and three of my alters. I'll explain later." Lily had calmed down and was just holding on to her dad. He got up and made his way to the bed. "Hi Lily, I'm your dad's uncle."

"You're Ali, and you saved me like you saved my dad. I knew you would come, Dad told me how you showed up when he was about to go over a cliff and you saved him. I remembered he said you were magic and I kept praying that my Dad's genie would come save me and you did. Do you think you could save my brother too?"

"Lily honey, Chase is home with grandpa, my Uncle Todd helped him the other day and thanks to Chase we were able to locate you. I don't want you to worry about Chase, you just need to rest, he'll be so excited to hear you're safe," said C.J.

"Can you and Ali stay?" asked Lily

Her young voice was near to tears and C.J. pulled her close. "Honey, I'm not leaving you and I'm sure Ali will stick around for a little while, but he's going to have to leave before morning, he's got something he's got to do tomorrow."

"Ali please stay."

"I'll stay for a short time Lily, but you should get some sleep.  I need to go help the rest of those girls, you understand don't you?"

"Oh good, I know you'll help them, you're a hero, just like my dad said. Thank you for helping me," she rolled over and closed her eyes, one hand tucked in her father's, as she went to sleep.

"She's right you know, you're still a hero. I know you're not finished with this yet but promise me you'll notify the authorities and get backup before you attempt to save Kym and the girls. I want Chase to know you, besides you still owe me a full blown explanation of how you managed to pull off that diversion." C.J. reached out and gripped Todd's arm. "Thank you!"

Todd sat with C.J. and Lily for a while longer. He got C.J. to talk to him and found out how his nephew had ended up on a Georgia Orchard. Todd wasn't surprised to hear C.J. had fled the stuffy Buchanan life in London, nor was Todd surprised to hear that C.J. hadn't talked with his own mother Tina since leaving England. It seemed his screwball sister had met up with her ex, Cane and the two of them had gotten involved with more hair brain schemes and had dumped Sarah and C.J. on Cord and gone off on their own adventures. C.J. had felt cornered because his grandfather Clint had wanted him to get into the publishing business and when he rebelled, they had a falling out. Shortly before his eighteenth birthday, C.J. had caught the first plane out of London and had ended up in Georgia. He had been working his way slowly toward Florida when he had stopped outside Peachtree, Georgia and met Lily's mom. He had gone to work for her dad, Joshua and been there ever since. When his wife had died suddenly in a car crash, he had chosen to stay and help Joshua with the farm. Todd was proud of C.J., he had done something with his life and hadn't relied on his family's fortune to do it.

During the early hours after midnight, Todd had taken his leave of C.J. and Lily, promising to see them when everything was over. C.J. wanted to leave Lily with her grandfather and brother and help, but Todd talked him into staying with his family, pointing out the Lily needed him more. The last thing he did was give his new great niece a kiss whispering to her a promise that 'Ali' would save the rest of the girls.

When he arrived at his hotel he shed his shirt and took a quick shower, he didn't have time to sleep, too much needed to be taken care of before that ship docked. Todd walked to the corner and found a pay phone still in operation and made an anonymous call to the police telling them the whereabouts of the Warehouse with the missing children and alerting them to the white slavery ring operating from their dock. He also informed them a Ship was arriving late that afternoon that would be picking up its cargo from that warehouse and a second warehouse, the second one holding the missing girls. When asked to give his name he replied, "Listen, you don't need my name, what you need is a team on that dock this evening when they get ready to board those children. I've found the warehouses and I've given you the name of the Ship, now do your jobs and save those kids."

Todd hung up knowing they probably had started a trace on the phone at the mention of the missing children. He was pretty sure they didn't get it but even if they did it wouldn't do them any good since it was a public phone, even so, he wiped the phone down and went back to his room to call John. ...

John looked at the clock as his phone went off. Who the hell was calling at three in the morning? Whoever it was, better have a good reason for calling so early. "Damn it, this better be good."

"Grumpy as ever I see. Sorry for the earliness of the hour but I need your help," said Todd.

John sat up abruptly, "Where are you, Toddman?"

"That's unimportant right now. I didn't call to talk about me, I need you to help some children, are you willing to listen?"

John ran his fingers through his hair, as always Manning was being his usual puzzling self, what had he managed to get involved in this time. "Okay talk, what is this about children?"

"John, I have info about an International White Slavery ring operating off the east coast. I happened to stumble onto it where I'm at, but it's bigger than right here, I've already discovered a similar ring operating off the docks Of Wilmington, North Carolina and I need you for that. My information tells me that a ship is scheduled to stop at the Wilmington Port in North Carolina where it will be picking up a shipment. The thing is that shipment consists of over one hundred children, I'll stake my life on it. Don't ask me how I know it, just check it out. I'm sure you'll discover what I already know, children in North Carolina have been turning up missing. My guess is they're being kept somewhere on that dock. I'm unsure as to the exact whereabouts of the warehouse holding the children but I figured with your contacts in the FBI you might be able to get some eyes and ears on that dock before the ship arrives."

"How do you know it's a White Slavery ring, Samuel? That's pretty intense stuff, have you got proof." John asked, from the tone of Samuel's voice he knew the story was probably true, but Samuel had to have something tangible.

"I have proof, two children have already been rescued, another child was almost beaten to death, my inside source tells me the rest of them are scheduled to be sent out of the country tonight. I'm doing everything I can to stop what's happening here, but I want to see the rest stopped also. You should tell your contacts the ship, that is making the pick up here, is the Daimler Odyssey,  Find out where, besides here and Wilmington, the other ports of call are. I'm pretty sure you'll discover the rest of the ring. John, they're taking small children and young teenage girls, they have to be stopped."

"Samuel, you're sure the Odyssey is the ship picking up the children."

"I'm positive. There's more. The company is mixed up with the Yakuza. If I'm correct, both are trafficking in human flesh and sending these kids who knows where around the world. I'm stopping this bunch from leaving and I hope you'll help me put a kink in their organization elsewhere. There isn't much time, I'm sure about the warehouses here and I was able to get word to the authorities here, I only hope they're not too late. Will you help?"

"Yeah Samuel, I'm on it. I'll get my contacts the info and but it sounds like you've got yourself mixed up in something extremely dangerous. You don't need that right now. The whole Hesser, Kipling trial is on hold because the feds want to talk to you and Interpol is still trying to round up Hesser's partners. Some of them are seriously pissed at you, man. You should know you've been targeted by them. A second attempt was made on Manning just a couple of days ago. They failed, but they'll keep trying. Interpol and the FBI are slowly tracking them down and this botched attempt helped get one of them. I don't know how you got involved in this latest thing, but you better keep a low profile, the last thing you need is another mob after you." John couldn't believe what he had just heard, White Slavery and the Yakuza. How did the guy manage to do it? He seemed to jump from one frying pan to another. "I mean it Toddman, be careful, the Yakuza will finish the job Hesser started if they find out you've upset their apple cart. Why don't you tell me where you are and I'll come help? For all I know, someone might be monitoring my calls.  They could be tracing your call as we speak."

" John, I'm fine, help the kids in Wilmington. Don't worry about me, I'm not going to do anything stupid." Todd hung up figuring he had talked enough and John was right, Hesser's partners were fully capable of monitoring John's cell. He really didn't need another ratchet in the works. Todd walked over to the desk and opened his laptop. He sat down and began his story for the Herald.

21st Century, White Slavery Exists

In the past week, this reporter found actual proof that slavery in the south is far from abolished. Parents around the countryside began experiencing loss as children started disappearing. No one was able to find a cause or a connection, this was an ongoing travesty around the country as children were taken daily. In a country as rich and blessed as this one, we as a nation have lost track of an essential ingredient that made this country. Families. Family values have eroded over the years, children have become an afterthought as parents struggle to work two jobs just to keep food on the table and shelters over their heads, but all the activity to supply the outside comforts have separated the parents from the very ones they're doing it all for. Kids have been left with babysitters and siblings and even strangers when all they wanted was to be with their parents. Now outsiders have come to our shores and decided to mine one of our most valuable resources, Our Children.

Just days ago a young girl was found severely beaten on our docks, the sad thing about this is it didn't even make a small blurb on the news. It was just too insignificant to notice and that is just what these outsiders expected. They showed no alarm but continued their everyday plans completely assured that no one would bother to look into the matter. Who was that young girl and why hadn't anyone come forward looking for her? It saddens this reporter to think that the poor girl was beaten probably because she tried to escape and it was all for naught, or so she thought.

It wasn't for naught, because of her bravery, that anonymous little girl brought the plight of over one hundred and forty children to my attention.  It was only a matter of time before I was able to put two and two together. These outsiders are everywhere and they have been snatching and grabbing children from all over our countryside. The cry of parents is just now being heard. These men will be caught and punished and the ones behind them will learn that our children are not for their pleasure and profit. Stand up for your children. Step forward and prosecute these men as they are found and brought to justice. Today is the day we take back our country and reinvest in the values our forefathers fought so hard win. These children are our legacy. They deserve a country that will stand up for them and fight for them. Join me in this stand and let these outsiders know our shores will no longer be used for Slavery of any type.

Todd looked at the article and realized it had been a long time since he had fought for something that was really dear to his heart. He had come close to losing two members of his family and he hadn't even realized they were out there. He remembered telling Blair a long time ago he would make his own family, Blair and the baby, and it didn't matter if the rest of his family wouldn't acknowledge them, but he had been lying to her and to himself. All of his family mattered to him, that was what Vicki had been trying to tell him all along. He would find Blair and go home as soon as this was over. He needed his family around him, they would keep him sane.

Taking one last look at the piece he kicked himself, he had written an editorial which wasn't bad, but he wasn't the editor. He'd have to rewrite it this time without all the speculation and speech giving. It needed to be grittier and full of the actual facts surrounding the take down of the key players and the rescue of the children.

She walked into the kitchen, the noon news was on as she got a cup of coffee and she vaguely heard something about a blaze down on the docks the night before. Any other time she might be interested just for the novelty of the announcement, but her thoughts were about Todd and where he might be in Savannah. Why did he have to be so stubborn? If she didn't love him so much she'd strangle him the moment she found him. He had no right to worry her so much.

Blair pulled out her cell and reviewed her text messages. She had several from Addie and Starr and one from Vicki. She rarely got messages from Vicki and it merely said: "Call me." Blair quickly dialed Vicki, there was possibly more news on Todd.

"Vicki, I just got your message, tell me you've heard from him."

"No Blair, I haven't, but I did receive a strange email from an editor in Savannah. Blair, I think he's working for a paper down there. The Herald....The managing editor of "The Herald", one Amos Caulfield, responded to an email I sent out about Samuel. In a rather cryptic message, he informed me that Samuel was fine but that he was involved in a story concerning small children and the editor seemed to feel it was very important that he be allowed to complete the story. You and I know how important children are to him. Whatever this story is, Todd won't quit until it's resolved. Since I know you're looking for him, I figured you might be able to get something out of the editor. Still, just a heads up, don't be surprised if Caulfield stonewalls you."

"Thanks, Vicki, I agree if there are children involved Todd will be there. Thanks for the heads up, I'll see what I can get out of Mr. Caulfield. I'm tired of sitting here waiting for another of Todd's calls. I tracked him down before, I'll track him down now." Blair called the newsroom at The Herald and was finally put through to the Editor.

"Caulfield here, what can I do for you?"

"Mr. Caulfield, My name is Blair and my sister-in-law gave me some information today that I was hoping you might clarify. It seems you might have some knowledge of the whereabouts of my husband. I've been trying to find him and I was hoping you might be able to provide a clue where he could be."

"Ms. Blair, I didn't catch your last name. Is there a reason you think I might know your husband? "

"Yes, according to his sister, he's apparently working for you. His name would be Toddman, Samuel Toddman." Blair listened, but there was an extra long pause before Caulfield's next remark.

"I'm afraid you're mistaken, I don't have anyone by the name of Toddman working for me." Amos sat there wondering if Thomas' wife would push the issue. He didn't like keeping her in the dark, but Thomas had already informed him of the strike against the slave ring set for this evening. Thomas' whole story was riding the successful capture of all involved and Amos' police connection said they were gearing up for an assault against the two warehouses that would occur simultaneously with the Feds assault on the ship. It was a dangerous undertaking especially since so many children were basically being held hostage. If word leaked out about the assault, the children would be used as human shields.

Blair realized that Mr. Caulfield was deliberately keeping her in the dark. She needed to find out if there were any stories out there about children that would have attracted Todd. "Well, thank you for your time, Mr. Caulfield, obviously my Sister-in-law must have misread your message. If you should by chance be contacted by my husband, I would greatly appreciate a call, I'm staying at my cousin's, here in Savannah, I left my number at your front desk."

Caulfield hadn't been much help although she did believe Todd was working for him. What was it Vicki had said, he was working on a story involving children. Cassie came into the kitchen and Blair asked her."Cassie, have you heard any stories being bandied about concerning children.'

"Now that you mention it, Blair, there is one that's been filling the airwaves lately. It seems some children have been coming up missing around the Dock area, Police have been warning parents to keep the kids off the docks. Nothing concrete has turned up that I know of or my editor would have been all over me to look into it."

"Cassie do you know the managing editor of The Herald, Amos Caulfield."

"Yes, he a pretty tough old bird and has been known for sniffing out the good stories in his days as a news reporter. Why do you ask?"

"I asked because according to Vicki, Todd is working for him on some story involving children. I think Todd stumbled onto a story on the docks and whatever it is, Caulfield is keeping a tight lid on it. I think I'm going to go do some investigating of my own, down at the docks. If I'm right, I just might find my husband."

"Blair, I don't know, the docks are hardly the place for someone like you to be walking around. The men down there are pretty rough, maybe you should just wait until Todd is ready to find you."

"I can't Cassie, I have this feeling he's going to need me and I'm going to be there for him come hell or high water."

Blair took a look at the clothes she had brought with her and knew she had a problem. The outfits were either too good girl wholesome or the exact opposite, sex kitten. Blair liked to be sexy but down on the docks, the workers might think she was some kind of high-dollar hooker. Of course, she might be able to get more information with honey, so it looked like she was going to the docks as a sex kitten. "Todd you better be there, I'll only take so much groping for you."

Cassie stood there in shock when Blair came downstairs. "Blair you can't be serious. You're not going to the docks dressed like that. Those men will be all over you. Surely you could have found something ordinary and less attention-getting to wear. I don't think Todd would approve of this at all."

"I've made up my mind Cassie. Men will talk to me and I need information. I'm a big girl, I can handle myself. Besides, it's the middle of the day. What could go wrong?" She turned and headed for the taxi waiting for her.

Cassie shook her head and prayed her cousin knew what she was getting into.

Emil had gotten the call to pick up a customer in one of the nicer areas of town so he thought he might end up with a pretty good tipper. The people around the docks rarely tipped. He was remembering his last fare last night the two men and the young girl. He had insisted on covering the fare since it was obvious the young girl was traumatized and the two men were very concerned about her. He had known something was wrong when they had carried her out of the dock area. What he hadn't realized until he arrived home, was that somehow the older man had managed to leave a tip in his pocket. The man had put a hundred dollar bill in his pocket and he hadn't felt his touch at all. It was all the more surprising because the man who had given him the money was blind.

God was good. That money with his other tips for the day was the final amount he needed to get his own medallion and own his taxi. Now good fortune was again smiling as he got a call for a pick up in a good neighborhood. He pulled in front of the impressive home and watched as a beautiful woman descended the stairs. He quickly got out and opened the door for her and she gave him a beautiful smile. Once inside he inquired where she wanted to go.

"Yes, could you please take me to the docks." said Blair.

Emil stepped on the brakes and he turned around to face her. "What would a good woman like yourself want to do down at the docks? That is a most unsavory place and soon the workers will be getting off.   If they see a woman like you there, they might become very offensive. Please, dear lady, give me someplace else to take you."

Blair smiled again and decided to explain. She looked at his ID and called him by name."Emil, I really need to go down to the docks. You see I'm searching for someone and I have reason to believe he might be at the docks."

"Oh, good lady don't tell me you too, are missing a child. It is a dangerous place for children these days. Just last night I picked up a fare. Two men and a young girl they had found on the docks. The poor girl was so terrified, but the men were most solicitous toward her. I, myself, have a daughter about her age, and it hurt my heart thinking what might have happened to that young girl. I took them to the hospital. I wouldn't let them pay but the older blind one managed to tip me anyway. It is because of his generosity that today I own this taxi."

Blair wondered about his passengers the previous night. Todd was blind if he wasn't wearing the implant. Could Todd have been on the docks last night? If it was Todd why wasn't he using the implant, why would he attempt to maneuver the docks at night blind. She leaned forward and asked. "I know this sounds strange, but could you describe the two men."

Emil looked at her curiously but proceeded to describe them. "The younger man was fair-haired and a medium build. He was very nice looking and seemed very close to the young girl they were helping. The other gentlemen was slightly taller than me, he had some gray in his short brownish hair. He had two scars intersecting on his cheek and also had a small beard. He was the blind one."

"Emil, I've changed my mind could you take me to the hospital where you took them last night. The blind gentleman you just described could be the one I'm looking for. It's possible he might still be at the hospital." Blair sat back and prayed he would be there. If Todd was the man Emil had just described she wouldn't have to go to the docks. She clasped her purse tightly, hoping her reunion with Todd was just around the corner.

Emil pulled up to the entrance of the hospital and opened the door for his passenger. He had been happy that she had chosen to go to the hospital instead of the docks. He wouldn't have felt right leaving her at the docks.

Blair exited the taxi and gave Emil his money and then a tip. She decided to have him stick around in case Todd wasn't inside. She could still head for the docks if this stop proved to be a waste of time. Blair walked through the doors not sure how she was going to find out if Todd was even there. She had no name to go by just the descriptions given to her by Emil. Walking up to the counter in the emergency department she inquired. "Excuse me, I know you're very busy, but I was wondering if you could tell me if two men and a young girl came in here last night. The young girl was the one in need of care. I don't have her name but I was hoping someone might remember if she was admitted or anything." She was informed that most of the staff from the night before, had left for the day and if she didn't have a name they couldn't look her up in the system. Blair turned away disappointed. She was about to leave when a young male nurse behind the desk caught her attention and beckoned her back to the desk.

"I just remembered something, if you'll wait I'll see if the doctor is on." he made a call and then smiled. "You're in luck, Doctor Matthews is here and she very likely saw this girl you asked about. She said she had a minute before starting her rounds this evening. Here she comes. Dr. Matthews this is the woman I called about." he gestured to Blair and went back to work at his desk.

Blair turned to face the young Doctor. "Doctor Matthews, My name is Blair Toddman and I promise I won't take up too much of your time. I was inquiring about a young girl who arrived here last night in the company of two gentlemen. Can you tell me if you saw that girl by any chance? Please, I'm not asking you to tell me anything about her condition, in fact, I'm really here to find out more about one of her escorts. You see I'm looking for my husband and I have reason to believe he might have been one the men who brought the young girl in. Do you remember them?"

"Yes Mrs. Toddman, I do remember the group. I admitted the girl last night. The older blind gentleman and his nephew were quite concerned for the girl. Why do you think one of the gentlemen could be your husband?'

"You see Doctor, my husband's been missing for the last couple of weeks and I'm greatly concerned for his health. I've managed to track him here to Savannah and the description of the blind gentleman has me hoping it might be him. My husband stands about six feet tall has graying at his temples and two scars on his face. He was recently blinded but he also has a severely weakened heart. I have to find him and I'm hoping if you admitted this girl he might still be here in this hospital with her." Blair paused for a moment as it registered that the Doctor said the blind man and his nephew. Todd's nephews were Joey, Kevin, and C.J., and as far as she knew, Joey and Kevin were still in London. Could the nephew be C.J.?  "You said he was with his nephew, is there any chance the young girl's last name is Roberts."

The doctor had listened as Mrs. Toddman described her husband and knew she was describing the man from the previous night, she frowned when she heard the part about his weakened heart. She knew last night, that the man had a problem but he had refused help. It was clear by Mrs. Toddman's concern that she should never have allowed him to leave. The woman had just identified the girl's last name without even seeing her, she quite obviously was a member of the family. "Yes, Mrs. Toddman, the young girl's last name is Roberts, so it sound's like the blind gentleman and your husband are one and the same, but I can't tell you if he's here. She's the first patient I was going see, perhaps you'd like to join me and we'll find out about your husband."

Blair couldn't believe it.  Todd might be here. She smiled and followed the doctor to the room. The doctor entered the room and from out in the hall, Blair observed three people standing around the bed, an older gentleman, a young boy and someone very familiar. The third person could be none other than C.J. But it didn't look like Todd was in the room. Blair's heart sank. The Doctor went up to C.J. and said a few words and C.J. came towards her.

"My God, Blair you're the last person I expected to find here. Uncle Todd isn't here. I'm sorry, I can tell from your face, you were hoping to find him."

"Oh C.J. you have no idea how much I was hoping to find him. Please tell me, is he okay? I just know he's overextending himself on this story, tell me what's really going on."

"Blair it's unbelievable but Uncle Todd is smack dab in the middle of exposing a white slavery ring. I had no idea, he was the man who saved my son, then I found out he was working to save my daughter too. You should have seen him yesterday Blair, he was terrific, he made it possible for me to get my daughter away from those monsters, and now he's gone back to the docks to see that the monsters get caught. He promised my daughter he would save the rest of the girls that were trapped with her."

"C.J., why would he go back there? Surely he doesn't think he can save them alone? "

"I think he wants to see the police and Feds take them down, but if I know Uncle Todd he's gone there to ensure that Kym makes it out of there unscathed."

"Who the hell is Kym?" Blair started to seethe. What poor damsel in distress had Todd decided to help this time?

"Kym is the young woman who's been trapped most of her life in the ring and she's the one who helped us get Lily. Todd won't let her go down with the rest because she's as much their victim as the girls she's been watching."

Damn the man, it's Marty all over again. She had let him take off for Ireland and had said she would wait for him to come to her in London. He expected her to do it all over again, but this time he was in for a rude awakening. The last eight months had proven one thing to her, even if he didn't realize it; it was that they were stronger together than apart and whether he wanted her there or not, she was going to have his back." C.J., you take care of that daughter of yours, I'm going to go find my husband and make him realize once and for all he's not alone anymore."

****

Blair left before C.J. could stop her and all he could do was pray she didn't get in over her head down at the docks. He wished he had a way to let his Uncle know Blair was headed his way.    Knowing his Uncle, Todd wouldn't be too happy to see Blair show up at the docks.

Emil had waited for her and Blair quickly got in the car. "Emil, I guess we're still headed for the docks. Don't worry about me, now that I know he's there for sure, nothing and no one will stop me from finding him.

Emil shook his head but he took the good lady to the docks. On the way there he noticed an increase in the number of police vehicles in the surrounding blocks as they neared the Docks something was going down. "Good Lady, I'm not so sure you should go wandering around on the docks, I have this bad feeling something is going to happen there tonight."

"Emil I'll be fine.  If I see trouble, I'll go the other way. Don't you worry about me." Blair got out, giving Emil his money. She smiled at him and said. "I've been taking care of myself for a long time. It will be alright." Blair headed down toward the docks, she had managed to get one last bit of information from C.J., and that was the location of the warehouse Kym was in. Todd was going to be somewhere in that vicinity and she would find him.

John stepped out of the taxi at the Savannah docks, he knew this had to be where Todd could be found. Three hours after Todd's call, John had been in serious talks with the police of Wilmington and the FBI. They had been very interested in finding out who his source was and John had stonewalled them. Todd had really stepped into it. A major plan was formulated to coordinate both strikes simultaneously, the one in Wilmington and the one in Savannah. That was all John had needed to hear. He had called in a favor from Bo and gotten a ride on the Buchanan Jet. Once down he had taken a taxi to the police station and introduced himself to the local FBI liaison. After a little more discussion, he headed for the docks. John was pretty sure Todd was going to be in the area of one of the warehouses. He had sounded like he needed to rescue someone. More than likely Todd was going after his inside source.

John had seen the police activity, they were waiting to move in as soon as the docks cleared with the normal industry activity. The Daimler Odyssey was docking in an hour. Most of the warehouses will have closed for business by then. John took a leisurely stroll down the docks checking out the warehouses making note of the one with the no Trespassing signs and the obvious guards. That was the one the police had been informed held the small children, the second one held some forty girls between the ages of twelve and sixteen. Taking a moment to stand there and view the ocean, he observed a big ship on the horizon, more than probably the ship they were waiting for.

The dockworkers were getting off their shifts when he spotted her. He recognized that figure and the walk, unfortunately, every man on the dock had noticed her too. It wasn't long before she began getting wolf whistles and bawdy innuendos. How the hell had she gotten to that dock?  He hadn't known she had left Llanview. Damn it, now he had two civilians to worry about. He watched as the crowd of men around her grew, the woman just didn't know when to stop vamping.

Blair realized a little too late, that she was fully surrounded by dockworkers. "Hey, fellas give a girl a little room."

"Lady, you sure as hell ain't a girl, now come on sweetie, what are you really doing down here? Admit it, you came for a good time, well lady, take your pick we'll all be glad to help you. Foxy lady like you should have a proper escort. I and my pals will take care of you. We'll show you a real good time, right fellas." the guy speaking looked around and his fellow workers all agreed and laughed.

"Really fellas I appreciate the offer but I do have a reason to be here and it's not what you think." She smiled but realized by the looks on the faces around her that the men had only one thing on their minds. They began closing in around her, the next thing she knew she was grabbed roughly by the leader who began to fondle her, his buddies egging him on.
Blair tried to keep calm, as she pushed him away, but all she ended up doing was push herself into another man's arms. That guy took his feel. laughed and passed her to the man next to him. They were all laughing as she struggled to break free. Blair began to panic, she had to get free. she was shoved into another pair of hands, but this pair merely held her and steadied her. The men had stopped laughing and Blair looked up into the stern blue eyes of her friend and ex, John McBain.

John had moved toward the men as they gathered around Blair. He pulled his shield and began showing it as he made his way through the men. They had slowly parted until he was in the inner circle. He arrived just in time to have Blair passed into his arms. He showed his badge to the inner circle and said. "I think the Lady's has enough. You should probably call it a night, fellas." He held on to Blair and the men could tell he wasn't really giving them an option. So they scattered and left. When they had all disappeared he looked at Blair, shook his head and said, "Woman, you're more trouble than you're worth. What the hell are you doing here?"

Blair straightened her clothes and responded. "What do you think I'm doing, I'm looking for Todd. How the hell did you get here?"

"You should be grateful I'm here. Just what did you hope to accomplish coming to the docks dressed like that? I mean really Blair, these guys see someone like you walking the docks dressed like that, what else are they supposed to think?"

Blair grimaced, she had made a mistake. "Oh you're right but I figured I might be able to get some information from them. I was hoping someone would tell me if they had seen Todd."

"Blair, seeing you dressed to kill, the last thing on their minds was another man."

"Alright it was a mistake, but what are you doing here?"

"The same thing as you, I'm looking for Todd. You shouldn't be here, something major is taking place in the next half hour. Go back to wherever you're staying and wait for my call, I'll find Todd."

"Oh no you don't, I'm not leaving. Todd's down here because he needs to rescue another lost soul. The last time he did that he almost died. I'm not going to let that happen again."

"Blair you'll only get in the way and then I'll have to rescue both of you. Go home now!" Blair stuck her tongue out at him and turned toward the street exit. He watched until she was out of sight and then continued his walk down toward the warehouse he was sure Todd would be.

Blair stood at the corner of the building, just out of his sight. She counted to twenty and turned back toward the dock. As she peered around the corner, Blair saw John head toward the warehouse she had started at. She knew she had picked the right warehouse she just must have been too early. Blair decided to wait for a few minutes, letting the dockworkers exit, before she headed back down. The sun was lowering and she noticed a ship coming into dock. Looking at it, she spotted the name on the side. She stumbled as she realized what it said. Talk about coincidences. She stared at it, her heart pounding. It just seemed so strange to see the name emblazoned on a ship, The Daimler Odyssey, how weird was that.


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!