WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Monday, November 4, 2013

Hope from the Ocean: 29

"It's going to take a lot to pack the whole family up," Blair said, after he collapsed onto her back after making love to her from behind.

He said, "Gee, how appropriate, in the moment we're in."


"Sorry," she said, "I just started thinking about it.  Not during, just right after."


"Okay Blair, try and spare my feelings, will ya?"


She laughed, and he rolled off her, and she found her place with her head on his chest.  "We have a lot to do."


"Are you sure we need to pack?  Can't we just get new stuff?"


"Todd, that's wasteful.  Besides, I like our stuff.  Let's talk about who's coming, and deal with the rooms."


"All right.  There's a master bedroom, that's us."


"Okay."


"There's a guest suite, and five other bedrooms in the main house.  Then, there are cottages on the grounds.  Everything's fully furnished."


"It seems like everyone can fit."


"Sure.  That's the point of me buying it.  It has a gym.  It has a pool.  And there's a sauna."


"Sounds amazing," she said, dozing.


"Wine cellar.  Pool table room."


"Uh huh."


"There's a helipad.  I'm bringing the copter."


She opened her eyes.  "What?  Are you just packing it in your pocket, or . . ."


"Sending it on a transport ship.  It will help us get in and out of Dublin if we need to."


"You've thought of everything."


"Just about."


"You're an amazing man, Todd."


"I have my moments."


"Tub?"


"Huh?"


"Hot tub.  You know, our place?"


"Hmm.  I don't know, but I will find out."


"Okay."  She dozed again.


"Blair?"


"Hmmm?"


"What about Momma?"


"Is she ready for that kind of trip?"


"No.  She's probably not."


"Ray will take care of her, Todd.  He'll make sure she's all right."


"Okay."


"She was cute tonight, scared for us.  She didn't see me attached to your hip like always."


"Hey, I was scared for us, too.  Like mother, like son.  I like you attached to my hip."


"Last night, when I came here unannounced.  You were dreaming."


He gulped, and became reticent.  "Yeah, I was."


"Was it . . .about . . ."


"Peter.  Wanting to beat me, beat Little Ray.  I kept telling him he wasn't even three yet."


She turned her face toward his, and rested her chin on the back of her hand on his chest.  "Three.  You were just a baby."


"He meant business.  That was Peter.  I told him I should have strangled him on his death bed, instead of begging for his acceptance.  I didn't remember, Blair.  I wanted him to love me and accept me, all because I didn't remember what he had done to us.  I practically begged him, that day that he died.  He had a heart attack, they revived him.  I almost got on my knees and begged him to love me."


She stroked his hair.  "Did he say it?"


"He said he never meant to hurt me."  He swallowed, and she could see his throat working.


"Maybe he didn't.  Maybe he couldn't stop himself."  He wrapped his arms around her, and she felt him pull her closer.  
She said, "It's all right."

***


Timothy kissed Dorian and then smoothed her hair back, looking into her eyes.  "Ya can't stay mad at me.  I'm doing honest work for the good of others, Dorie."


Her eyes were glistening with tears.  "All right, if that is what you want me to say, then I'll say I am not mad at you.  I am a little perturbed, but I'm also very proud."


"Ah, that's what I needed to hear.  Any man who cares for a woman wants to hear that she honors him with pride."


"So, you care for me, then?"


"Of course.  I really do, more than ya think."


"Don't go," she said, quietly.


"I must do this," he said, "But I will be back.  McBain is strong, he and his men are trusted.  They helped bring Todd back.  I'll be back as well."


He went to the door, and she couldn't explain, even to herself, the feeling in her chest and throat.  "Timothy," she said, running to him again, and wrapping her arms around him.  She kissed him, passionately, and said, "Please, be safe and come back to me, soon.  You know I will be waiting."


He left, and she closed the door, turning and standing against it.  She felt it.  Fear.  Trying to avoid it, she walked into the living room, and sat, facing the French doors, trying to rationalize in her mind his decision to return to Ireland and search for Patrick Thornhart.  Now she understood what Blair had been feeling; the distress, the worry, the fear of the unknown.  She picked up the phone.  "Blair?" she sighed, "He's gone."


"Dorian?  He'll be all right."  Todd, listening from Blair's end, mouthed "Timothy?" and Blair nodded.  She said, "He will, he'll be fine.  John knows what he's doing."


"I feel so . . . helpless."  Dorian said.


"Come with us, Dorian."  Blair said, and Todd rolled his eyes.  "We have plenty of room at Courtown Demesne.  Really.  You can have your own cottage."


Blair looked at Todd, and he nodded in agreement.  

He started thinking of how to run the gallery while they were out of the country, and thought of a solution.  Hopping out of bed, to let his wife take care of Dorian, he went to The Sun home office, and made a call of his own.  "Jenna, this is Mr. Manning.  Good morning.  How do you feel, selling your first three paintings?  Good.  I'm glad.  And you're welcome.  Can I speak to Lynnette, please?"

Lynnette came to the phone and began with a thank you.  Todd said, "You're very welcome."


"What can I do for you, Mr. Manning?"


"I need your help.  It's a business proposition.  My family and I have to be out of the country for a while.  I was hoping that you could take over watching and running the gallery while I am gone."


"I don't really know much about running one."


"It's all right.  My wife's Aunt Dorian is going with us, but she'll be available by phone.  She'll work from Ireland, I'll provide a computer for her to use.  I'll pay you three times what you are making."


"That's not necessary."


"Why not?  It's a lot of responsibility."


"I can't accept."


"If you do a good job, you'll get paid, how's that?"


"I don't know what to say."


"Say yes.  I need someone to do this."


"Fine, I say yes."


"Jenna knows a lot about it already.  I know she's in school, but when school is done for the day, she can help."


"I will do my best with this."


"I'm sure you will."


"Thank you, Mr. Manning."


He hung up, and looked up to see Jack standing in the doorway.  "Dad, am I going to have to leave Jenna?"


***


Timothy got on the plane, followed by McBain.  Taking their seats on Todd's private jet, they waited for take off.  John, dressed in black, as always, was looking out the window, and checking his phone for messages from the precinct.  Timothy, reading The Sun, had his reading glasses tipped on his nose, and was engrossed in what he was looking at.  


The seatbelt sign lit up, and both men, who had not been speaking since arriving at the plane hangar, fastened their belts and went back to their tasks.  Finally, as the plane ascended, John had to turn his cell phone off, and Timothy, noticing, said, "I hate the blasted things."


"Planes?"


"Cell phones."


"Ah, well, the world revolves around them."


"Today.  Not in the past.  I think we were better off."


"Most likely."


"Have ya got any leads?"


"Nothing new.  We have to meet with your contacts first.  Get an overview.  See if we can find out where they may have him."


"The RA21 will have more information.  They only trust those they know.  This is why I wanted to be here.  I know I can get them to help us."

"Think Thornhart's alive?"


"Most likely.  They enjoy taking a man's freedom.  Some of them push the limits of what a man can take."


John ran his hand through his hair.  "Manning is proof of that."


"His was a special case.  They wanted to bring him down, make him into nothing.  That must have come from how strong he was against them.  The more ya fight back, mouth off, the more they want to control ya."


"I can see him shooting his mouth off, maybe when he first got there."


"Perhaps.  From the way he tells it, and the information from Blair that Tomas Delgado provided, Todd was in no shape to be mouthing off to anyone when he first arrived.  He was near dead.  It must have been later, the fact that he did not give in to their attempts to break him angered them.  That is the type of men they are.  I see Patrick Thornhart as a bit more in control and more coolheaded."


"Definitely.  He's more stable, emotionally."


"Can ya blame Todd?"


"No, I wasn't saying that.  I hope you understand.  I saw some of it first hand.  He's a remarkable man to have dealt with all of it."


"I do.  I know what the boy has inside him, and I know what strength he bears.  And, he's my son, now, and I love him."


"I understand.  It's just what he needs.  Which, Mr. Broderick, is why we need to make sure you get through this in one piece."


"Lieutenant, I'd want nothing better than that.  I promised a certain lady I'd be back, and I plan to do just that."


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!