WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Hope from the Ocean: 41

Todd looked at John and the agents and said, "The secret entrance.  It's around that bend.  The guy there, he tried to kill me.  The kid jumped in front."  Todd went to Aiden's side.  "Can you walk?"

"I can.  The shot. . . Shots just have a strange effect on me. . ." he scrambled to his feet, "I'm fine.  What about Darren?"

"He's alive, that's all I know."  He looked to John.  "I have to go back, John.  I  . . . can't see the room, not now.  I'm done with that.  I can't leave Blair.  I have to go."

John, watching the events unfold, felt strangely satisfied and proud at the same time, and somehow could not explain it at that moment.  Todd, without thinking it over, went to Darren, and hiked him over his shoulder, as Patrick had done for him years ago.

Todd didn't look back, and John said nothing to stop him.  Instead, he called to Aiden and the rest of the RA21 boys and moved them all ahead.  Alternating in Todd's mind was Patrick, carrying him, and him, carrying Darren.  The two scenes interchanged between the present and the past, and Todd, seeing black seeping in from the edges of his eyes, fought to remain conscious.  As they moved toward the exit of the catacombs, Todd saw a trail of blood behind his feet as he walked.  "He's going to bleed out.  We have to stop and fix it, or move faster," he said.  Not knowing how many from The Men of 21 were actually already in the tunnels, they hesitated to stop.

Aiden asked, "Can ya go on?"

He didn't respond.  Instead, he just walked on, the weight of Darren pushing down on his shoulder and bringing to mind the cuts and wounds that once were there.  He heard Aiden again, "Todd, if ya need a break," but he ignored it and strained to make it toward the opening.  The blood was running from Darren, onto Todd's back, and he could feel the warmth of it seeping through his shirt.  Like his arm.  The blood, warm, would get sticky, and make his shirt adhere to his wound.  His shoulder was the worst that time, the large rectangle.  The one that Leona . . .

"Todd!"  Aiden called out, "Todd, are ya with me?  Ya look green, Paddy."

"Yeah, I'm with ya."  Just a little farther.  Then you go home, to Blair.  To your children.  This door will shut behind you.  It will slide, and close.  Behind you.  

Todd went down.

***

Blair sat up and screamed Todd's name.  Sister Rebecca Katherine, who was sitting in the side chair by the bed, had been drowsing.  She moved quickly to Blair's side, and put her arms around the shaken woman.  "It was a dream, Bridgette.  Just a dream."

"Oh, my God, he's hurt.  He's hurt, Sister."

"My goodness, Bridgette.  Y'ar afraid, just dreaming.  Conjuring the ideas of something terrible."

"Where's my phone?  Has he called?"  she was frantic.  She reached over to the side table and grabbed her phone.  Pushing the speed dial number for her husband, she waited to hear his voice.  She tapped her thigh and waited.  

Finally, she made a connection.  "Evening?" the voice said.  It wasn't Todd's.

***

The noise Todd heard as he approached consciousness sounded similar to muffled radio, like the times he had covered his head with a pillow to drown out Jack's music in the early morning hours.  As he attempted to open his eyes, and adjust, he realized he was still in the Rialto Cinemas.  He could hear Aiden speaking.  "This is a friend of his.  He's all right, he just passed out.  Why?  Well, he was tired.  Hold on, Mrs. Manning, I think he's awake."

His eyes focused.  Aiden was over him, looking down, a concerned look on his face.  "Todd, can you hear . . ." Aiden was interrupted by a wincing expression and his hand went to his temple.  Todd sat up, and looked around him, taking the phone from Aiden's hand.  

"Babe?"  he said.

"Todd?"  Blair's voice cracked with fervor.

"Yeah, Babe.  I'm right here.  What happened, Blair, you're crying?  Baby okay?"

"I had a dream, just now.  You were hurt."

"I'm not hurt.  I led them to Patrick.  I'm all right."

"Oh, Todd," she cried, and sniffled, taking Sister Rebecca's hand.

Darren, who was on the ground next to them, was covered in blood, and Aiden was gripping his own head in discomfort.  Colin and Rory, who had been guarding the entrance, were tending to Darren and trying to patch his wound with glue and gauze.  

Todd said, "Dublin Hospital.  Let's get him there."

"How will he pay for his treatment?" one of them asked.

"I practically own the cancer wing.  Long story.  Blair, I have to go, Babe.  I promise to call you, in a little while.  Trust me, I'll call you and I'll be home in just a little while."

"I love you, Todd."

The men struggled to get Darren to an upright position, and then, with the teen still unconscious, dragged him between them to the exit of the theater.  Todd let Aiden lean on him as they made their way out.  He called for a taxi, and the first one was loaded with Colin, Rory and Darren.  William was nowhere in sight.  After depositing the Feds by the entrance, he had left.  Todd inquired about it, and Aiden, who was waiting with him for the second taxi, explained that William had a police record and naturally avoided cops.

As the first cab drove off, Aiden said, "The pain subsided."

"I'm glad to hear that," Todd said.

"Ya didn't believe us.  Ya thought it was some kind of joke.  Y'ar important enough to these men to risk their lives."

"Darren saved mine, that's for certain.  Whatever he needs, he gets."

"He'll live.  He's a tough one, that rascal."

"What about you?"

"Me?  What do ya mean?"

"You've got this problem, this affliction.  You need medical help.  Maybe in the states."

"Ah, let's talk about that another day.  Right now, I'm dealing with my pot of gold, and that was ya bringing us to the place we had to be at the right time.  Thornhart will be saved, and The Men of 21 thwarted.  The summit is a huge event.  So many of them will be there, if not all.  They'll be captured.  It might take time, but it will be done by tomorrow."

"Maybe."

"No, it's for certain.  Because of ya."

"I didn't do anything but sweat," he said, feeling clammy with his clothing stuck to him.

Aiden laughed.  "I like ya.  Ya got a good sense of humor about ya.  Ya been through bloody Hell."  He paused.  "The woman, on the phone.  That was y'ar wife, eh?"

"That was her.  My One True Babe."

"Ah, that would explain the 'OTB' flashing on the phone.  She sounded so tormented when I answered."

"She was afraid.  She's pregnant, a miracle baby.  Long story, again."

"Y'ar tales get more and more exciting, Todd.  I hope to hear them all, someday."

The cab pulled up.  Aiden said, "Well, it was nice knowing ya.  I see we're going our separate ways, Man."

Todd said, "Why don't you come out to the castle, and hang with my family for a few days.  Debrief.  Rest.  We have a pool, a sauna, a gym, a two-year old personal trainer."

He laughed.  "Hmf.  I'd like to.  Are ya sure I'd be well received?"

"Positive.  We can the  get the info on Darren from the hospital when we get to the house.  Is that okay?"  he said, climbing in.  

Aiden followed suit.  "It's fine.  Darren lives with his mother.  Believe it or not.  I live wherever I can find a place.  Right now, it's in a ten-dollar a night flat off the bar.  I appreciate this kindness."

"Then it's settled.  I think some country air and family time could do you wonders."

"Family time.  I don't have a family.  I left the people who raised me when I was sixteen.  I went on my own.  I felt destined to find the truth."

"We both have a lot of stories to share, it seems.  But I must warn you, the first thing I want to do is keep a promise to my wife."

"Understood."

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!