WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Hope from the Ocean: 43

It was late.  The streets were totally deserted.  Patrick, in the undercover car with John, sat, looking out the window, watching the dark silence of the night.  The roads had very few cars, and there were no pedestrians in view.  He turned to John, and said, "I'm free.  And I think I just realized it."

"You are.  And most likely, The Men of 21 will not be bothering anyone again.  I believe that summit covered the gamut of them."

"Possibly.  Just a strange feeling, is all.  I was minutes away from death, and I knew it.  My captor had asked me what I wanted for a special meal.  I'd already eaten it, and I knew what it meant."

"It meant the end.  Todd was right.  He's the one who clued us, and Aiden."

"Aiden?  Which is he?"

"The one with the scar on his head."

"Yes, right.  From the RA21."

"Yep.  They pushed for us to go in tonight.  A little longer, and we would have been too late."

"Ya can't blame Manning for pushing.  He knew exactly what was going to happen.  It almost happened to him."

"I've arranged for you to spend the night in Timothy's flat."

"Ah, Timothy, the older man, the one who took such a shine to Todd during the last time he was captive."

"Yeah, that's the one.  He's adopted Todd, you know?"

"That's a bit odd, or unusual.  But Manning always needed a father.  He's had quite a deficit in that area."

"You don't know the half of it."  John said.  "There has been a lot of turmoil for The Mannings since you were involved."

"Not more?"

"Yes, more.  But it's Todd's life, his decision what's out to others and what's not.  Let's just say it's been Hell."

"I'll hazard a guess that it has to do with that adoptive father, the first one.  Peter Manning, I think."

"You'd be right.  But again, not at liberty to just share all that.  Maybe you'll get a chance to see Todd yourself."

"Here's hoping," Patrick said, "I want to thank him."

The car had stopped outside Timothy's building.  Patrick said, "McBain, it was a pleasure seeing ya open that slider and rescue me."

"My pleasure.  Take care of yourself and give my love to Marty, when you get back.  Todd's transporting you home on his jet, in case you're wondering."

"I sorta figured.  Take care, as well."  Patrick slammed the door shut and made his way to Timothy's apartment.

It was three in the morning, and Patrick wasn't sure he'd catch Timothy awake, but he was wrong.  He knocked lightly on the door, ready to sit propped in the hallway until morning, when the door opened.  Timothy said, "Ah, Thornhart.  Ya made it."

"I did.  And in one piece."  He limped into the room.  "The first thing I must ask of ya is to allow me to call Margaret."

"Of course," Timothy said, and provided him with the phone.  While the man called his wife, Timothy went into the kitchen and fixed a light snack and some herbal tea.  In doing so, he realized that Todd, as well, was probably being taken care of well.  He would have to call him, and Dorian, in the morning.  Now, he wanted peace to come of all of them and allow them restful solace.

When Timothy made his way to the living room with the tray of tea and snacks, Patrick was already off the phone, and sitting with his leg up on the ottoman, and his arms folded.  "Ya brought me something."

"I did.  Some tea, and a snack.  I am not sure what ya've eaten, but now that I think of it, it was likely your last meal."

"It was.  But this is fine."  He took a bite, and a sip.  "Ya became a father, eh?"

"Yes.  McBain clued ya in."

"He did.  The best thing that could happen to Todd Manning is to have a father, even though it's late in his life."

"I know.  That's part of the reason.  The other part is that I need a son."

"Goes both ways, I see."

"Yes.  

"I can't believe he came back here."

"He's been here before, since the time ya saved him.  When I had cancer.  He came and gave me will to survive, paid for my treatment."

"Hmm.  McBain said he's been suffering?"

"He has."

"Can ya help me make him see that he owes Margaret and I nothing.  He's given more than he has to.  He's paid, in full, times over."


"I'll try, but he doesn't listen well to that one.  Convinced that his misdeeds, horrible as they were, as a younger man are still something held over him.  And, it's mostly by himself."

"He saved my life, risking his, and risking his sanity.  It must have been impossible carrying that boy out of there on his back and dealing with the memories.  I don't know how he did it."

"I can't explain him.  He's just Todd."

"In the morning, will ya call him?  Have him come and see me off?"

"Of course.  But now," the older man yawned, "I need to get some rest.  Ya should as well. I am glad ya made it and that we may have seen the end of The Men of 21."

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!