WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Failings of the Fathers: 32

"What are you going to fasten the poles to?  There's no ground in the family room."  Blair stood with her hands on her hips, watching.

"It's not that kind of tent.  It just....has the poles inside it.  You just sort of, set it up."


She folded her arms over her chest.  "Okay, I really have to see this one."


He was right.  The tent came out of the box, he put the poles together, slid them into various sleeves of tent material, and then stood it up.  The tent was ready to go.  "Not bad," she said.  She climbed inside, and sat.  "It's roomy."


"Yep.  It said 6 man tent.  We don't have six men, so we should all fit," he said.


"Well, come on it and try it.  Look, it has a zipper thing, it makes a little window in the back."


He climbed into the tent, and sat beside her.  "It is pretty cool in here."


Jack, who was holding Jewel, said, "Mom, she's wet."


"Okay," Blair said, coming back out of the tent.  "I'll be back, fellas."  She went up the stairs.

Todd came out of the tent too, "Hey, what do you guys think?"


"I think it's cool!"  Sam said, diving inside.


Jack said, "I think it's pretty neat, Dad.  It's working out pretty nice.  The fire's on, and pretty soon we can cook some dinner.  Epic."


"Yeah, epic."  Sam said.


Ray was passed out asleep on the couch.  He had his hand under his chin, as he always did.


"Well, dinner soon, okay.  I remembered the marshmallows, not that any of you did."  Todd said, going into the kitchen.


"Is Mom tired?"  Sam said.


"Yeah, she is.  She's been through a lot, giving birth.  Plus, she's nursing, she burns a lot of calories that way, and sometimes loses energy."  Todd said.


"Well, you both worked hard getting Jewel here," Jack said.


"Dad, why does it hurt to have a baby?"


"It just does, Sam."


"Dad, remember I asked you a while back, how the baby got in there . . ."


Jack interrupted, "Sam, look, a deer," he pointed outside.  The little boy went to the sliding door, and looked out.  


"Where?  I don't see it."  Sam said.


"Look closer," Jack said.


"Thanks," Todd said, "I really wasn't ready for that one."


Blair returned to the lower level, and she had changed Jewel and herself.  She was in the lemon yellow lounging set that she bought in Greece.  He remembered it clearly.  She had taken care of him there, painstaking care.  He wanted to take care of her forever, and make sure she never felt deserted by him again.


"Dad, geesh, there's other people in the room," Jack teased.


"Not when she walks in," Todd said.  "Hey," he pulled her close and kissed her, his hand slid under her hair.


"Hey," she said back, following the kiss.


Her other hand had the basket with Jewel, who was content and sleeping.


Jack said, "I'll take her," and took the basket into the family room.  


Alone in the kitchen, he went back at her, kissing her deeply.  He whispered, "I miss you," when Sam made his presence known again.  


"Oh, boy, mushy stuff."  Sam said.


***


"Y'ar acting sort of crazy, Pappy.  There's nothing bad about Malcolm and Calvin.  They're just friends, they are.  Pals."  Aiden said.


"Ya don't know them all that well."  Timothy said.


"No, but I didn't know Colin, or William, or Darren.  None of them.  And they became my brothas.  Like Todd.  Same thing, I didn't know him either, and now, he's important to me.  It's been my way of life, Dad.  For years.  It's how I got by."


"I understand.  But ya have to remember why y'ar here.  Someone wanted ya dead.  Someone erased y'ar memories.  Someone killed y'ar mother."


"I know all this.  And it's working.  I've had . . . a breakthrough of sorts, Pappy."


"Tell me about this, Son."  Timothy said, momentarily forgetting his train of thought.


"I was in therapy, and I remembered something after the shooting.  A man, bringing me into a very plain room.  The room was white.  He made me sit in a straight chair for a long time, and talked to me about strange things."


"What strange things?"


"Strange ideas.  Anti-establishment sentiments, I didn't recognize them then.  Some things about needing no one but y'arself, and, of course, needing them."


"Them, Laddy?"


"The Men of 21.  But I didn't know that's what they were.  Just as we were getting closer to more information, my head started to pain.  They think part of it is related to the emotions."


"Which means Todd may have been right."


"Yes, that is what I believe, now."


"The scar tissue, still must have an effect?"


"It must be removed.  But they want to work this way a bit longer."


"Well, then we do whatever they believe.  Anything to help ya or save ya, my Son."


"I wanted to call Todd, and see if he had any insight.  I remember another thing, it may be small."


"What is it, Lad?"


"I was always wearing all white.  It was . . . odd, but I remember it."


"Maybe we can call him tomorrow.  At this point, it's dinner time there now, and they have the new babby."


"That's true.  I'm heartily grateful that my brotha has that wife and that babby, and the other children.  After all he's been through, he surely deserves some kind of happiness."


"We all do, Son.  Ya do as well."


***


After cleaning up the cooking items and finishing roasting the last few marshmallows for the boys, Todd and Blair got the kitchen cleaned up and got ready to go to camp.  "What shall we do, kids?"  He asked.


Jack and Sam were in the tent already, and Jack had an affinity for Jewel, so she was near him most of the time.  Ray was running in circles around the tent, and Todd scooped him up and said, "Okay Road Runner, time for bed."


His face became very sad, and he said, "No bed, Daddy.  Play."

"No, Buddy, time to rest."  He put the little boy over his shoulder, and as usual, Ray wound up at high speed before crashing.  Before Todd got to the top of the stairs, he was already drowsing in Todd's arms. He put the little boy in his crib, and touched his soft, light hair.  "Love you, Guy."


When he returned to the lower level, Sam and Jack were playing cards inside the tent and Blair was in the kitchen, nursing.  He stood watching her a moment, before walking over and lightly touching her back.  "Hey," he said.


"Hey.  She's still taking just a little.  I wonder if it's just because of her size?"


"Call the doctor tomorrow and ask.  But her stomach can't be all that big if she fits in my hand, Blair."


"That's true.  But she has no trouble doing it, that's for sure."


"Maybe she just knows when she's full."


"Probably," she said, putting herself back together and putting Jewel into her arm to pat her back and burp her.  After her little gas bubble, she placed her back into the basket, and said, "Your mother did a great job with this.  It's very sturdy, and she was right.  Perfect fit."


"Yep," he said, and his face showed a slight bit of sadness.  "I'm going to see her tomorrow."


"All right."  


"Blair, I miss you, so much."  He touched her face.


Within moments, Jack came around the corner.  "Hey Mom, Dad?"


"Yeah, Jack?"  Todd said.


"Do you think me and Sam could just sort of go it alone?  I mean, we hardly ever get the chance to camp out in the living room without Ray."  He smiled.


"Well, what do you think, Mommy?"  Todd said, smirking.


"If that's what you want, Jack."


"Can Jewel stay?"


"I thought you and Sam wanted to go it alone?"  Blair asked, raising an eyebrow.


"Well, we don't mind her.  She's not running circles around us all day.  She's cool."


She looked at Todd, who had folded his arms and had a large grin.


"I guess she can stay.  She's going to sleep, for about four hours.  Then she'll want to eat again."


"Well, by four hours, I can bring her upstairs and just put her in your room, right?"


Todd shrugged.  Blair said, "Sure, okay.  But if she wakes up and acts upset, just text us.  I guess Daddy and I will go and camp out," she said, looking at Todd and smiling.  He caught her hand next to her hip and held it.


"No problem," he said, taking the basket by the handle with one hand under it.  He walked off, and they saw him bring Jewel into the tent.  They had television playing, and immediately, they heard the sounds of soft giggles, as well as the card game continuing.


Todd said, "Come here."


She walked toward him in the dim light of the kitchen.  He ran his hands up her hips, until they landed in her hair on both sides of her face, and he kissed her.  She said, "You know what that reminds me of?"


"No, what does it remind you of," he said, putting an arm around her waist as they started walking toward the stairs.  


She said, "A certain premier of a really cruddy movie."


"Oh, yeah, I think I remember that day.  Something about David Vickers, wasn't it?"


"Mm hmm.  It was.  And someone showed up there, for the first time, and then kissed me, sort of like that."


They ascended the stairs.  "I don't know how I contained myself that night.  I just wanted to be with you, so much."


"I could tell, by that kiss.  It was . . . one of the most beautiful moments of my life.  And believe me, there are a lot of beautiful moments that I can remember, Todd."  They had reached the landing.


"Me too, Babe," he said.  He kissed her nose.  "I just want to hold you and touch you."


"You can, I'm right here."


He scooped her into his arms, and kissed her, again.  He brought her into the bedroom and put her gently on the bed.


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!