WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Chasing the Monsters: 21

"Here's the bottles, and the rest of the baby things.  We'll only be away a few days."  Blair handed everything to Tina, and weakly smiled.

"They'll be okay, Blair."


"I know.  I know they will."  She looked to the children.  "Come on, give Mommy a hug."


Ray ran to her legs and hugged her, and she crouched down and kissed and hugged him.  She did the same with Sam, before returning to standing to embrace Jack.  "Take care of your brothers and sister," she said.


"I will, Mom, you know that."


"Go to school, every day.  No working."


"All right.  I will," he said, and turned to go from her, bringing the kids with him into the library.


Cord said, "Blair, be safe."


She looked at him, "I will, thanks."


"Don't worry about them," Tina said, "I love them so much, they'll be fine. Cord knows what he's doing."


"Yes, but do I?" she said, headed to the door.  She put her hand on the knob.  "I'll call you soon.  Todd says thanks, he was busy with a few last minute details.  He said his goodbyes at the house.  It's . . . very hard for him."


"Well, he's going to Chicago," Tina said.  "That can't be easy."


"No," she sighed.


Cord said, "Blair, are the things in the newspaper true about . . . that place?"


She nodded, "Yes.  All of it is true.  He's . . .I know he's done terrible things, but . . . I . . ." she choked up.


"You don't have to say anything, Blair,"  Cord said, "we understand."


"Well," she said, gulping, "I should go.  Wish me luck."  Blair smiled again.


"Good luck.  We'll take care of the kids."  Tina said.


Blair opened the door and walked through it, and Cord looked to Tina.  "Well, Girl, it's been a long time since we kept young kids entertained."


"True, but you don't forget.  Like riding a bike."


"I guess," he said.


"Oh, it is," she said, adding, "remember, sledding, when the kids were little?"


"Sure.  And everything else we did.  Those kids made posters and campaigned for Todd to be set free.  Things change."


"Yes, they do.  I . . . guess they might have been right about him, somehow," she said.


"All that stuff, in his past, as a kid,"  Cord seemed perplexed.  "He must not have remembered."  


"He does now,"  Tina said.


"Yeah, he remembers," Jack said, stepping back into the foyer.  Little Jewel was in his arm, facing out.  "Aunt Tina, if you're going to be like Aunt Dorian, I'll just take the kids home."


The baby stared at both of them, as if awaiting an answer.  Tina said, "No.  No, Jack.  It's not that way.  My brother has been through enough, and he loves you kids."


"Good, because I can't take more of that.  No one knows what he's been through."


Cord watched the young man, and said, "He's important to you.  I can tell.  You love him."


"Yeah, so?"  Jack said, slightly defensive.


"You understand him.  You know the things he's been through, right?"  Cord said.  

"Yeah, I think so.  Some of it.  Only Mom knows everything."

"And she still loves him.  And your Aunt and I respect Blair, and your father.  He's changed a lot since I knew him."


"He's had to.  He almost died, a lot of times.  He was tortured for eight years."


"You keep standing up for him.  It's the right thing to do," Cord instructed.


"Hey, uh, thanks, who the heck are you anyway?"


Cord smiled, "Hmf.  You're just like him.  I'm an old friend, but I'm Clint's son.  I'm actually your family."


"He's your cousins' father.  Would have been your Uncle."  Tina piped up.  "CJ and Sarah's dad."


"I don't really know them, but okay, pleased to formally meet you," Jack said, putting one hand out, and the other still cradled Jewel.


"Same here.  Your father's lucky to have a son who stands by him." Cord said.


"We don't always get along, but he's cool.  He'd . . . do anything for us."


"That's good," Cord said, and then to Tina, "Well, let's start the entertainment," and they all went into the library.


***


Blair went back into the limo, and ran her hand on the seat.  She closed her eyes, and pictured him, above her, the two of them lost in each other, less than a day before.  She loved how he made her feel, always as if she was the only woman alive.  She breathed in deeply, and then let it out, hearing herself and smiling at the thoughts that filled her.  Her cell buzzed in her pocket, and she pulled it out, in time to see Todd's face flashing.


"You on your way?" Todd asked her.


"Yes, I am.  Almost home.  We're at the base of the mountain.  Keep thinking about the last time we were here."


"Llanfair?"


"No, the limo."


He breathed out, slightly raggedly.  "I know."


"I dropped the kids off.  They all seemed okay.  Sam was the worst; at first, he didn't want me to go."


"I bet."


"After a little while around Tina and Cord, they seemed all right."


"Was Viki there?"


"No, I mean, I didn't see her.   I think she was at The Banner."


"I have a call to make, so I'll see you at home, all right?"


"Sure.  Just have a few things to finish packing."


"Then, we're off."


"Right.  I'm not far from home, so expect me."


"You okay with this, Babe?  We can turn back and just not go."


"No, I'm okay with it.  Let's get it done with, move on, again, and get back to the kids.  Maybe this will help Pamela."


"Okay.  See you soon."  He hung up, leaving her to bask in the memories on the drive home, and dialed a second number until he heard a voice answer.  "Auntie Dorian, is that you?"


"Yes, it's me, Todd."  She sounded curt.


"Well, at least you recognize me."


"Of course, why wouldn't I?"


"Listen, there's something I need you to do for me."


"What's that, Todd?" she sighed a little, as if bothered.

"We're about to get on the plane here, air traffic a mess.  I need you to call ahead and give Timothy a heads up.  I mean, I don't trust too many other people with anything like this, if you know what I mean."


"I can't, Todd, we're not on speaking terms. which you very well know."


"He'll get over it.  Oh, they're boarding, imagine that?  Please, Dorian?  I tried, he answered, but he said he would have to call me back, he was showering, and he hung up!  I don't want him hanging out there worried about Blair and I.  Tell him we'll be really late, I have to go, they want the phones off.  Buh bye!"  He rambled fast until he hung up, and went to the door of the home office to head to the bedroom.  


Blair was standing in the hallway.  "I just got here," she said, "what was that all about?"


"Eh, just an experiment.  You caught me."


"I thought I heard you say Dorian, and we're boarding?"  She folded her arms, and raised an eyebrow.


"I said that, yeah."


"Todd . . .?"


"I just figured why not?  He's miserable without her.  At least it will get them talking."


"Probably not.  She'll just say her part, and then it will be done."


"Maybe."


"You're playing matchmaker?"


"Yeah.  I feel really badly about those two."


"Well, it's not your fault.  It's hers, with her big mouth."


"Well, don't be so hard on her, she lost a lot, too."


Blair's face twisted with uncertainty.  "What's gotten into you?  You used to hate her so much?"


"I don't know.  I can't seem to find the anger toward her. I sort of warmed up to her for a while there and  . . . it just takes too much energy for me to gather up the hate again.  She's the closest thing to a mother-in-law in the real sense of the word that I've ever had.  I love Addie, but she's more the kindly friend type."


"Hmf, I suppose that's true."


"Besides, my father was happy.  I think he's flipped his lid over her."


"And she over him.  So what do we do when we get there?  What about your father?"


"He'll make it.  He wanted to drive there, so he'll probably make it there later today.  I'll rent us a limo or whatever.  No problem.  Leave it to me."


"I will.  Why not?  You always surprise me and take care of me, so I won't worry."


"Good, let's just hope my plan works."


***


He was still finishing the paper, when he heard his phone ring.  "That damn contraption.  I can't stand it, it never cooperates," he said, trying to slide his finger on the slider to answer.  "Private number, eh?"  Finally, it worked.  "Hello?" he said, impatiently.


"Hello, Timothy."


His face tightened.  "Dorie?"  For a moment, he felt dread, thinking something horrific had to have happened for her to be the one calling.


"Yes, it's me.  I have a message.  It's from Todd."


He swallowed.  "From Todd, then.  All right."


"He said that they are going to be late.  He didn't want you to wonder what was going on.  He'll call, something about air traffic."


"Ah, I see."


"Yes, well, I've done what he asked, so . . ."


He interrupted.  "How are ya?  Are ya doing well?"


"Yes, I am.  I'm fine."


"I'm glad, then.  That's good."


"How about you?"


"Not so well, I'm afraid.  I'm . . . ya could say I am missing a friend."


She paused, swallowing, and her eyes burned with tears.  "I see."


"Yes, well, thank ya for calling."


"You're welcome.  He was adamant.  He was concerned."


"And he called ya, eh?"


"Yes.  He said he didn't trust too many people with the task.  They were trying to board and it . . . seemed hectic.  Knowing Todd, it was one of his moments."


"Are they all right?"


"Yes, they seem to be perfectly fine.  They've had some conflicts with Jack, of late, regarding college, or the lack thereof."


"I knew that was happening, Todd said something."


"They handled it, as a family, I'm told.  And now, they're off to Chicago to meet you.  Legal things, I'm guessing."


"Yes, seems they are."


There was silence.  It was awkward.  Neither wanted the silence to continue, because neither really wanted the call to end.  He said, "I'm on a case."


"Yes, I assumed."


"I'm helping Todd get all this settled."


"Oh.  Trouble?"


"Not really, but there are some old demons that need to rest."


"Is this what Todd and Blair are involved in?  I don't think she was too happy going back to Chicago."


"Yes, it's what they are involved in.  Some things that have to be closed up and finished.  Some things from his past."


"He wants this?"


"I believe so.  He believes it will lead to closure.  I agree."


"That's understandable.  Considering."


"It's hard for a person to get over this kind of abuse.  For a man, it's . . . it breaks y'ar core."


She sighed.  "I can only imagine.  And . . . Todd . . . well, he deserves to be able to put it to rest."


Timothy smiled.  "Dorie, I have to go now.  I want to thank ya again for calling and warning me.  Thank ya kindly, Dear Lady."


"Oh, uh, all right.  I hope that you take care of yourself, Timothy."


"And I hope ya do, too.  Good bye, Dorie."


She held the phone to her chest.  A pain grew in her throat, and she whimpered, even though she was trying not to.


In Chicago, Timothy set the phone down.  "Hmf.  She may have promise after all," he said aloud.


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!