WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

The Mysterious Samuel Toddman: Chapter 45

The picture was gone, ash and nothing more. Todd turned to Starr, "It's finished. I'm hungry and your mom is going to bring Jack and Sam here in a couple of hours. Get Hope and let's eat." Todd headed for the kitchen while Starr headed up for Hope. Todd made sandwiches and the three had a comfortable lunch. Todd told Starr about his visit with Vicki and what they had discussed. He looked across the table at Starr. "What do you think? I'm sure Vicki is right and I'm already merging with Samuel. You've met Pete, I can't let him out, but he's getting much harder to contain.  I'm thinking about integrating, but it scares the hell out of me. Starr."


Starr looked at her dad and knew he was being honest with her. He really was afraid of losing his alters because he had lived most of his life with them. " Dad, I know you think it would be like losing an arm or a leg but in reality you won't really be losing them. If you integrate you'll have their strengths and yours to combat the anger that makes up Pete. I don't think he's capable of standing up to you in that situation. To me, you're already ahead of him. You were able to push him back down last night because you don't want him anywhere around Hope or me. That tells me you can beat him, you just have to have faith in yourself. I do. You should have your talk with Dr. Martino. I'm here just like Aunt Vicki and Mom. We're not going to let you get away again.  You got that?”


Todd smiled "I got that, Shorty." Todd got up and picked up the plates, realizing it was just another aspect of the changes that were occurring with him and Samuel.


Starr took Hope out to the living room and began playing with her daughter on the floor. Todd wandered out and sat on the couch watching them play. Then he asked. "Starr, what's Jack like?"

Looking up from her game of tickle monster, Starr replied."Well, he's reaching that obnoxious stage if you ask me. Right now he delights in treating Sam bad and taking advantage of Mom. Walker's been preoccupied with Tea, so I think Jack is feeling a little left out. He's been a little snarky lately. I haven't been a very good sister lately because I've been caught up in my own problems. I don't know what else I can tell you except he loves Walker. He won't remember you, Dad, so you'll just have to be careful. After they've been here for a little bit, I'll have Sam join me upstairs with Hope and you two can maybe get to know each other. You are going to meet him as Samuel right. He could probably use another male figure in his life, especially since Walker hasn't been there lately. Just be you. Mom told me you always had a way with kids. I like you, I think Jack could come to like you too."


Todd nodded. He picked up the sketchbook again and started drawing Starr and Hope, he marveled that he was able to do it. He had carved when he was younger. He remembered the dove and the cross he had made for Rebecca. He had never thought to pick up a pencil and sketch, but it was actually pretty easy. Of course, Samuel had been doing it for some time. The muscles in his arm and fingers were working a lot from memory.

Todd heard the door begin to open and set the pad down. Looking up he saw Blair entering with two boys. Todd stood up to greet Blair. He walked over to her. He wanted to kiss her, but the boys had no idea who he was. Deciding to greet her the way Samuel would have, he took her hand in his and gave it a gentle kiss. "Blair, it's delightful to see you and these must be your boys. Let me guess, from your's and Starr's description, you must be Jack." He held out his hand to shake Jack's but from the way the young man was standing, he was pretty sure it wasn't going to be taken. He recognized arrogance when he saw it and Jack was as arrogant as they come. When he was younger he'd had that same arrogance, but a couple of months in prison had severely dented it. After he had found out he was the Lord heir, that arrogance had once more taken root. It was in his genes. So Jack came by it honestly but Todd had this sudden urge to take the kid down a notch. He quickly turned his smile and body away from Jack and gave Sam his undivided attention. "Hi, you must be Sam, I'm pleased to meet you. You won't believe it, but my name is Sam too. How about that. I was named after a dear friend, how did you get your name."


Sam looked at him, all smiles. " My daddy named me after an old friend of his too."


Todd smiled, "Did he now? Well, then we have two things in common. I think that's a good reason to become friends too, don't you?" he held his hand out to Sam and Sam shook it solemnly. " Why thank you, Sam, I can always use a friend." Todd could feel Jack's eyes boring into him. Jack didn't like being ignored. Still ignoring Jack, Todd directed Sam over to Starr. "Starr why don't you see if you and Sam can find some snacks. Your Mom can watch Hope."


He started to move back to the couch and the sketchbook then he suddenly turned around as if in surprise. "Oh excuse me, Jack, I forgot you were here, perhaps you'd like to join us." Jack looked like he had swallowed a whole lemon. Todd was pretty sure Jack was used to getting his own way because he thought he was 'it'. If Todd had anything to say about it, Jack was going to find out the world didn't revolve around him. He looked at Jack closely and saw the kid squeeze back some tears. That was a good sign. It meant that there was hope for him. Perhaps they had a lot more in common then the first glance had suggested.


"Jack, I understand this used to be your father's house perhaps you'd like to look around. In fact, Starr told me that you actually lived here when you were very small. I think Hope has your old bedroom. There is a great view from the window over in my studio.  Come with me, there's something you'd get a kick out of." He headed over to the Studio and Jack followed curiously to see what was out there. Before looking out the window, Jack stopped. Todd turned around to see Jack looking at his sister's picture and then he saw Hope's.


"You did these?" asked Jack.


"Yes, I did.  It's what I do for a living. What do you think of them?" replied Todd.


"They're okay I guess, They look like Starr and Hope. But why don't you just take a picture?" asked Jack, "I mean if you want reality, why would you bother with this?"


"I bother because it pleases me to create something with my own hands. I can look at them and see what my subjects are feeling and then I express it on canvas. To be able to say you did it without the aid of machinery is a good feeling. Your father is a publisher, don't you think he gets some pleasure out of writing a story and knowing that people are going to read that story and have opinions about it, I'm sure he looks forward to sharing his talents with people that way. What do you like to do?"


"I'm pretty good with computers and I like sports. I've never tried anything like drawing.  I mean that's for wimps.  It’s just like this one kid in my class.  He's always drawing. He's always getting excuses from PE and things. Says he's sick. I think he's just avoiding PE because he can't do it and he gets the teachers' sympathy.  But me and my friends we get him occasionally when the teachers aren't looking. It's really funny. Say, what did you want to show me." asked Jack.


Todd turned toward the window and frowned. From the way Jack was talking he was something of a bully.  "Come over here Jack.  Look over there. Your mom told me that long before you were born your father stood right here and made the decision to buy that building.  He didn't even stop to think about it. He purchased it the next day and renamed it the Manning Building. He bought this penthouse for his family. He wanted the best for you and your sister. I think I was very fortunate to find this penthouse available. It brings me closer to my family, of which you are a part. Let's start over. Hi Jack, my name is Samuel Toddman. I'm a distant relative and I'd liked to get to know all of my family. What do you say, do you want to be friends?" He held his hand out once again and this time Jack took it and shook. "Good. Since your sister is living here, you are always welcomed to come over and if you need someone to talk to I'm here. OK?"


Jack looked at him and said."Yeah, OK, thanks".


They left the studio and joined everyone in the living room for snacks. Todd was grateful he had made it past the first hurdle with Jack. He hoped his son would start coming to him if he needed to talk, but he was worried about Jack's bullying. He would have to tell Blair, she needed to know. Blair and the boys stuck around and they ordered in takeout. Jack relaxed and soon they were discussing favorite movies.  At one point, Todd picked up the sketchbook and started drawing Jack. Sam and Blair sat down to watch as Jack came alive on the paper. Then Sam wanted to try so Todd gave him a piece of paper and let him have at it. Sam was cute as he tried to do what Todd had done and Todd and Blair watched as their children enjoyed the evening. Nine o'clock rolled around and Blair got the boys ready to go home, Todd handed Jack his portrait and noted that Jack rolled it up carefully so it wouldn't wrinkle. Blair promised to be back after the boys were settled and they left. Starr gathered up Hope and said her goodnights and headed up to put Hope down and do some studying. Todd found himself alone once more. He walked to the window and stared at the Manning Building. It had once meant so much to him. It no longer beckoned the way it had when he and Blair had first married. One thing and one thing only beckoned to him now. His Family.


Todd was still looking out the window when Blair came in. She walked over and embraced him from behind leaning into his back. "You’re a million miles away.  What are you thinking about?" asked Blair.


"I don't know. A lot of things I guess. I was remembering that first year. Finding my feet as publisher of the Sun and finally getting some respect. Remember, that was what we both wanted the night you gave me my Christmas present. We were riding high at first, and then we lost the baby.  We were both so afraid of life, we blasted ourselves apart. I'm not sure how we found each other again. I think we just needed each other more than we hated each other. If I could take back the trip to Ireland I would in a second. I made so many mistakes over the years and the final one culminated in losing you and the kids these last eight years. I'm trying to rectify that, but the obstacles are bigger than I anticipated. You didn't do too bad with our kids, Blair. Starr has a lot of strengths and she faces her problems head on. Jack isn't a bad kid, but I think he's going to be a handful if you don't rein him in now. Jack told me something that worries me a little bit. I think our son might be bullying someone at school. I'm not certain but the way he talked, it reminded me of my attitude toward people I thought were less than me at school. You should keep an eye out." Todd squeezed her arms and looked over his shoulder at her. She didn't look back she seemed to be thinking of something. "Penny for your thoughts," he said.


Blair shoved him with a laugh. "They'll cost you more than a penny, Mister."


"Hey, starving artist remember?" said Todd


"Something happened at school today. The principal called us in because Jack was accused of stealing some money. The young man who accused him was also under suspicion. The box of money was found in the other young man's locker. So the principal let Jack go. I was relieved, but you see I know the other young man. He and his mom and dad live in the gatehouse at Llanfair. It turns out his dad is Clint Buchanan's son. Shane isn't a bad kid and I don't think he took that money, but it was found in his locker. There is definitely some animosity between Jack and Shane." said Blair.


"Blair, do you know if Shane has a problem with his health?" asked Todd


"Well now that you mention it, yes. I know he suffers from Asthma and about a year ago he needed a bone marrow transplant for leukemia. Why did you ask?" inquired Blair.


"It's nothing, Sometimes kids who are sick a lot, end up drawing a lot of attention to themselves, but just keep in mind what I said. I'm ruthless, but in my book, kids are off limits. I don't want my son heading down that particular road. He'll end up like Peter, or worse, Victor." said Todd. "Come on sit down and I'll fill you in on my day."


They went and got comfortable on the couch and Todd told her about his chat with Vicki. Then he informed her of his decision to seek out Ray and begin therapy with the intentions of possible integration with he alters. Todd sat back and watched Blair, he was curious how she would take the revelation he was actually going to seek professional help. He had tried therapy before, but he really hadn't given it his full attention. He had feared opening up to anyone and giving them that kind of information to hold over him. Ray had been different. Perhaps because Ray had at one time stood in Todd's shoes as a rapist himself, Todd had managed to let him close to some of his well-guarded secrets. Todd was hoping to get back to that comfort level again with Ray, he needed someone he could trust.


Blair couldn't believe what Todd had just shared with her. This wasn't just telling her because he thought she wanted to hear it. Todd was speaking from the heart. He was going to begin therapy for himself. because he needed it in order to continue to make it in this world. She loved him so much, she wanted him well and whole. "Todd I think it's wonderful. You're doing this for yourself and it's going to be alright. I already love you just the way you are. But I know you'll feel stronger when you pull all of your Alters together." she moved in and kissed him.


Suddenly the lights dimmed until only one thing in the room was lit. A pool of light shown down on Samuel's portrait of her. Then she heard the music start up, the slow jazz sounds of a saxophone playing one very beautiful song, Todd stood up and held out his hand. "Dance with me Blair," he pulled her into his arms and they started to dance. 'My One and Only Love' played in the background. They swayed and moved to the song wrapped in each other. Everything and everyone no longer in the room with them.


Starr had come down when she heard the music start, she watched them tearfully. . Then she walked back upstairs and left them to their moment, happy they had found each other again


As they danced, Todd remembered their first dance in a dingy motel. He recalled his wonder that such a beautiful woman wanted to spend time with him. That she had sought him out, for his company. He couldn't figure out why she wanted to be with him, but he couldn't resist her. They kept running into each other and playing that silly game, the most pathetic one. One night he had insisted they play for something other than bragging rights, the loser of the contest had to do what the winner said. He won and he signed Blair up for amateur night. When she sang Simply Love, he realized he felt something for her, something much deeper than friendship. He didn't know until later that he had fallen in love with her. Todd spun Blair around and carefully planted a kiss on her graceful neck. Then held her close as the last strains of the song filled the a. As the song ended he loosened his hold, gazing into her beautiful eyes and took her mouth in his for just the briefest of moments. Another song began and he took her up close once again.


Blair was breathless just from the simplest little kiss, but then she heard the new song and the memories it brought forth were heavenly. Softly in his ear she began singing to him, at the sound of her voice his hold had tightened. She felt secure in his love that night and gave herself over to the song singing to her funny valentine the way she had years back. She pulled his mouth toward her as the final strains ended, giving him back his kiss, but this time he stayed and the kiss deepened.  Then he gently led her to the staircase and up to bed.


****
Blair slipped out of bed and started to get dressed.


"Hey, where are you going?" Todd said sleepily


Blair leaned over and gave him a kiss. "I've got to go, want to be home before the boys get up this morning.


"You didn't rush off yesterday, why today?" asked Todd.


"Yesterday the boys hadn't met you. When I took the boys home last night Jack asked me if you and I were more than friends. I told him that I was getting close to you. I'm not sure how he took that news, but I want him to give you a chance. If he considers you some kind of threat, you won't get that chance." Blair sat down next to Todd on the bed. "I think Jack likes you, but he's very loyal to Walker. Even though Walker is now married to Tea, I think Jack will always want Walker and me to get back together."


Todd looked at Blair "That's not an option anymore. You're with me and it's going to stay that way. I want Jack to like me, he's my son, but no one is going to keep you away from me ever again, you got that." Todd reached up and pulled Blair down into a kiss that conveyed those sentiments in a very satisfactory way.


Blair came up out of the kiss and brushed her fingertips over his lips.  "I hear you loud and clear. I still need to go home for now.  This is not the time to get Jack riled, he might say something to Walker and we're not quite ready for that confrontation. Walker's been very preoccupied and very unpredictable lately. You're not ready to face an angry Walker. Are you OK? "


Todd said, "I guess you're not giving me any options. Go, I'll see you later, right?"


"Wild horses wouldn't keep me away. I'll try and be back tonight." said Blair and she headed out.


After Blair left, Todd sat up on the edge of the bed. He felt a little angry that his own son was an obstacle to his and Blair's future. Damn, He was having to walk on eggshells because Blair was afraid Jack would tell Walker. Blair didn't think he was strong enough to handle Walker.  It was galling. Todd stood up too quickly and almost fell over. He sat back down and let the room stop spinning. OK, maybe he wasn't quite up to a fight right now, but it still bugged him that Blair was letting Jack call the shots. Once the spinning stopped, Todd got up and proceeded to get cleaned up and ready for the day.


By the time he got downstairs, Starr was getting ready to leave for her classes. Hope had been taken down to the Daycare so he could concentrate on some work and get ready for Ray's visit. Starr gave him a kiss and departed. Todd headed to the kitchen to eat something and decide his next move. Todd was trying to figure out how to get Tea to come over when the doorbell rang. He opened the door to a young police officer he had never met. "May I help you, Officer."


"Are you Mr. Toddman?" asked the officer.


"Yes, I am. Is there some sort of problem?" said Todd.


"Oh no Sir, the Commissioner just said I was to deliver this to no one but Samuel Toddman. Could I see your ID sir?" inquired the officer holding a manila envelope in his hand.


"Just a minute Officer, I've got it right over here. Please come in." said Todd, the young officer followed Todd into the living room and waited patiently as Todd got his wallet and showed his ID. "Is this satisfactory?"


"That's excellent Sir, The Commissioner extends his apology for not delivering it personally, but emergency family business took him out of town. He said to tell you he’d call at his earliest convenience." the officer handed Todd the envelope. "Commissioner Buchanan also said to tell you he had several copies made of the information. The DA was given a copy and the Commissioner sent one to Victoria Banks, he hoped that wouldn't be a problem."


Todd wasn't sure how he felt about Nora having the information, but it was probably safe with her, and he definitely wanted Vicki to have the truth. "Thank you, Officer, that is fine. I'll wait to hear from the Commissioner," he showed the officer out and locked the door behind him. Todd wasted no time opening the envelope noting the official stamp of a notary on the papers. Bo had made sure the information was accurate and confirmed by a notary. He wanted there to be no mistakes when Todd went to court. He had even put a signed affidavit stating that Samuel Toddman previously known as Todd Manning in the presence of both him and the technician did provide the DNA sample used along with a Sample from Victoria Banks to determine without a doubt that Samuel Toddman was Todd Manning half-brother to Victoria Banks and son of Victor Lord. The results of said test proved conclusively Samuel Toddman was, in fact, Victoria Banks' half-brother Todd Manning. Todd had the hard proof he was Vicki's brother now he had to find out who Manning was.


Todd makes up his mind he was going to give Tea a call. He just hoped after all these years, she wouldn't recognize his voice. He needed to see her, especially since he now had proof of his identity. She needed to be told she was married to an impostor. Just as he was reaching for the phone, Starr rushed back into the penthouse.



Looking at him, tears in her eyes she said. "Dad, Walker was shot! "

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!