WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

The Mysterious Samuel Toddman: Chapter 46

Todd looked at his daughter, "What did you just say?" 

 She rushed to him and hugged him. "Oh Dad, it's terrible.   Someone shot him outside of Rodi's yesterday. I've got to let Mom know and then I've got to go to the hospital.  I rushed back to tell you. What does it mean? Why would someone want to kill Walker?"

 "How did you hear about this Starr?" asked Todd

 "Dad, I feel terrible, I just now turned on my phone and there was a message from Tea," said Starr "I turned it off yesterday when Mom and the boys got here. Poor Tea, she must be frantic."

 "Starr, you should just go to the hospital, I'll try and reach your mom. She might already have heard it too. If not I'll tell her. Now go." Todd sent his daughter out the door. Who was trying to kill Walker? Ten to one he was going to get a visit from Nora any minute now. Since she knew he was the real Todd Manning, he could just see her brain working. He'd be at the top of her list. The person at the top of his list was Carlo Hesser, but everything with him was conjecture. This was just great. It appeared Carlo was starting to cover his tracks already. Unfortunately, Carlo's plans have just thrown a big monkey wrench into his.  Todd opened his computer to see the latest news. Local news reported that gunfire erupted outside Rodi's tavern yesterday evening.

" According to Detective McBain, Todd Manning, publisher of the Sun had been targeted by a sniper. While trying to elude the gunman, Manning was shot.  The condition of Manning was being withheld until family members had been notified."

 Todd closed the computer. A sniper meant a hit. Someone had hired a killer. Todd was fit to be tied. Not only did this mean someone wanted to silence Manning, but now he might be the number one suspect. The only thing that might keep him out of Nora's clutches was the fact that he had only been out of the hospital a day and a half. Also, he had had someone with him that whole time. And if Nora wanted to check his phone records. The only calls he made yesterday were to Vicki and Ray.

 Damn, he had forgotten about Ray. It was too late to reach Ray now, he was probably headed for Llanview.  Todd hoped he would come to the Penthouse before hearing any news concerning 'Todd Manning'. If Ray heard the news and thought he had been shot he might turn around and go back home. Why did matters always take a turn for the worse for him?

   "God, when are you going to give me a break!" He reached for his phone and tried to reach Blair. It went straight to voicemail. He had a good idea she had heard the news already, he would just have to wait for her call. Then like clockwork the doorbell rang. Todd went to the door and opened it.

 She hadn't changed much. He was still kind of surprised to see her.  Nora usually avoided him like the plague. Then again, if Bo talked to her, then she knew about his alters. Maybe he should just let Samuel talk to her.  He closed his eyes for a moment. "What do you say, Samuel, help me out?"

  "I'll do it, Todd, but I'm not going to be around too much longer, we're becoming too alike.  Be prepared, you might be back sooner than you think." Todd let Samuel take over and sat back to watch.

 Nora was shocked when he opened the door. She had seen his picture and had talked to Bo. Even so it was still unnerving. For one minute, she was sure Todd had opened the door, then he had slumped imperceptibly against the door only staying upright because he was holding the handle. The man who faced her now seemed different. Bo had said Todd's alters were real, which Alter was in front of her.

 Samuel struggled to keep control. Then his strength returned and he looked at the woman in front of him. He knew she was Nora Buchanan, but he wasn't sure why she was here. "Good Morning, is there something I can help you with?" Samuel inquired.

 Nora didn't quite know what to do. Todd had always been sarcastic and rude most of the times they were around each other. This gentleman was quite different and unlike any of the other alters, in fact, that's what he was, a gentleman. "You must be Samuel, I'm Nora Buchanan, the DA, and Commissioner Bo Buchanan's wife. Could we talk?"

 "Oh excuse me.  Please come in and have a seat. I'm sorry it was rude to make you stand in the hallway." Samuel moved aside so she could enter. "This is delightful, I'm honored your husband decided to help us. What can we do for you?" he led her to the living room. "Would you like some coffee or tea. I would offer you wine, but I know it is too early for you people here in the states to drink before noon. In France, wine is like water. I'm afraid my years in France have affected my habits."

 Nora walked in and looked around. She saw the beautiful portraits on the wall and noticed the studio set up by the windows. She also noticed a playpen close to the corner of the staircase. She looked quizzically at Samuel. Paintings and babies were certainly an odd mix. She sat down, "Mr. Toddman, I was wondering if you heard what happened yesterday afternoon?"

 "Mrs. Buchanan, I'm afraid I'm a little out of the loop, I only came home from the hospital the day before yesterday and have spent the last day and a half recuperating and talking with family. Perhaps you could tell me what happened yesterday." Samuel replied.

 "It seems someone tried to kill Todd Manning yesterday and almost succeeded. Would you know anything about that?" asked Nora.

 "All I know is what you just told me. I get the impression you think I might somehow be involved, but I assure you neither I nor Todd wants to see Manning dead.  If anything we need him alive, if we're to prove Hesser is at the bottom of the whole switch. I know you and Todd have a horrible past connection. I'm sorry for any harm we did to you back then. I swear we just want our life back nothing more. If you think we set something in motion this last day and a half please feel free to investigate. Todd and I have been here the entire time. We've also had company for most of that time. You must understand Todd has been away from his family for eight years, he just recently was freed from the prison that bound him inside and the only thing on Todd's mind has been to reconnect with his daughter and grandchild, his son Jack, and Blair. You are suspicious of Todd's motives because of your past acquaintance. Todd is exposing himself to you and Bo and his immediate family. He has kept this secret of us locked away for a long time. It is your choice to believe whether I'm real or not, just as it was your husband's.  For Todd's sake, I hope you give him the benefit of the doubt." Samuel finished speaking and sat looking at her calmly. The ball was in her court.

 The sincerity of the man sitting opposite her was overwhelming. Samuel's sophistication and understanding for her feelings were so different from the Todd she knew. Todd would have been on the defensive from the word go. But Samuel had stated the problem succinctly and brought up some very good points as to why he would want to keep Manning alive not dead. Plus he appeared to indeed have an alibi for yesterday.

 She had been so sure that Todd had managed to hoodwink Bo into believing he had alters. That was one of the reasons she had come to see him. If Samuel was real then so was his tale. She knew what Vicki was currently going through with Jessica. Tess had managed to create a lot of turmoil in the past several years. Vicki's alter Tori had also been a disaster. If Samuel is real, then that means Pete also is real. God, then Tom was right when he said Pete held them all hostage. That means that Todd was innocent.  Can you admit you were wrong Nora? Samuel said Todd was trapped for eight years and had just now gotten out. She remembered how she had felt when she had awakened from her coma. All the lost time, it had been horrible.  Eight years was a long time to miss. All the time Todd was trapped in Samuel. Walker Lawrence or whoever had been living Todd's life. Now someone had shot Manning. If it wasn't Todd then maybe Samuel was right, an unknown person or persons had put Walker or Whoever into Manning's shoes and now it appeared that they were cutting their leash. Nora looked at Samuel then asked. "Could I speak to Todd?" She didn't know what she expected because she had never been on the other end of such a connection. She just had to see how it worked.

 Samuel closed his eyes. "Well I've talked to her and she still wants to talk to you. Sooner or later you're going to have to talk to her. I'm not going anywhere just yet. You said you wanted to stop hiding, that you want to get stronger. You need to face your demons both inside and out, Todd. I think Nora is one of those outside Demons. It's time." Todd nodded he knew Samuel was right. He opened his eyes and stared at the woman he had terrorized so long ago. "Hello, Nora. It's been a long time."

 She looked into his eyes, they were Todd's, but they were different. He was different. She remembered the way he had been before he had disappeared. He had played the avoidance game. Back then when he didn't get his own way he had attacked first then asked questions. If he didn't like the answers he received, he had changed things to suit him. The man in front of her wasn't playing any games, she could still see the ruthlessness that was part of his makeup. But behind it, she saw a softening, like he had learned to give a little and he was willing to take help if he could get it. Todd had come out, not from behind a faked made up person but like he had stepped out of a mirror and the person that had been sitting in front of her, Samuel, had simply disappeared. It was disconcerting and disturbing.

 "I'm sorry. It's been a rough couple of days. I had a feeling you'd be paying me a visit. I wasn't sure if I was up to your recriminations. I took refuge behind Samuel because I just don't have the strength right now to get into it with you, Nora. I don't have the foggiest idea who shot Manning except I know it wasn't me. And I know you're going to say I could have hired it done. You're right, but if I wanted Manning dead I wouldn't have let you or Bo know I was in town. In fact, Samuel's been in town several weeks. Manning hasn't been touched during that time. I asked for Bo's help and I still need it. One of the reasons you came today is because you got the same paperwork I got. The proof that I am who I say I am. I don't need to kill Manning to get back my life, I just have to go to court. But I don't just want my life back, I want the man or men responsible. Can you understand that? Will you help?" Todd put it all on the table. Now it was up to Nora.

 She had come there determined to prove Bo wrong and catch Todd in a lie. She had been sure he had lied to Bo. Now she had seen something she never thought she would see. Todd Manning had just sat in front of her and told her the whole truth. He hadn't tried to bluster his way with some tale or point fingers anywhere he had just told her what had happened. He had been honest to a fault about what he could have done. Bo was right, Todd Manning had changed. "You're right Todd, I came to read you the riot act. I thought for sure you had played Bo and that you did have something to do with Manning's shooting. I was wrong, and I don't believe I'm saying this, but you've got my help if you want it."

 Todd looked at Nora with some surprise. He hadn't expected that. He stood up held out his hand and said "I'll take it." Nora reached out and shook his hand. Todd smiled at her. "Thank You."

 Nora couldn't believe it. She was actually shaking Todd's hand and he was thanking her. It had to be a first. It was a little weird. She relinquished her hold on his hand.

 There was a moment of awkward silence then Todd made a move. "Samuel was right, I could use a drink right now. Can I get you something, Nora? There's still some coffee in the kitchen. You wait here, I'll be right back."

 Before Nora could say anything Todd had disappeared. They still needed to talk, so Nora took the opportunity to look at Samuel's work. He was an excellent artist. She would never have guessed that Todd the Jock could have such talent. The artist who painted these portraits seemed to have a sense of empathy for his subjects. That was one trait that had never been part of Todd's character. Nora couldn't help herself, she was curious what Samuel was painting in his studio. She opened the gate and wandered in. She saw the Portrait of Starr and then realized just who the playpen might belong to. Nora had a good idea who the Second painting might be. She was correct. It was a picture of Hope. She actually found Samuel's whimsical departure from his other Portraits very charming. As she walked back out of the Studio, Todd was bringing out a tray of Coffee and Pastries. It was so strange, he was actually being friendly. "I wondered who the playpen might belong to, but after seeing your paintings, my guess is the playpen is for Hope."

 Todd looked up. He realized she had just come over from the studio. "Yes, the playpen is for Hope.  Starr and Hope are living here. Blair told me when I moved in, that Starr had been going through a rough time. After the initial shock wore off at seeing me, Starr and Hope moved in. It's been helpful to have her here. Besides if she wasn't, I'd still be in the hospital. Probably driving everyone nuts. The doctors only let me come home if I had someone here to make sure I didn't overdo it." Todd offered her a coffee and took a cup and sat down. "Let's talk Manning. I read the news, it said Manning came under fire of a sniper. How bad is it?"

 Nora took a sip of her coffee and looked at Todd. He was in pure newspaper mode. His instincts were in high gear. "I don't know Todd, I understand he was in surgery most of the night. Since you say you didn't have anything to do with it perhaps you can think of a reason someone else might have done it."

 "Off hand, if he's supposed to be me, he's probably got a list a mile long of people that would like to see him dead, but I don't think it's one of the usual subjects. Manning was targeted by a sniper, and that sounds like someone put a hit out on him. I willing to wager that someone is starting to cover their tracks and getting rid of loose ends. I told Bo my suspicions about Carlo Hesser being mixed up in this somehow. Unfortunately, I still don't have any hard evidence. I think Carlo has ties here in Llanview. I just need to find them." Todd finished drinking his coffee and got up and walked over to his desk. " I managed to turn up a couple of shadow companies that some of Hesser's money seems to be moving through, but I'm still trying to follow the connections to the final holding. As soon as I find it, I'll let Bo know. The officer who came by earlier said Bo was out of town on family business, do you have any idea when he'll be back?"

 "I'm not sure when Bo's trip is going to be over.  In the meantime, if you find anything, you let me know, Todd. Don't try and take this on by yourself. If Hesser is behind this switch of you and Manning. I want him found and brought to justice legally. Todd for once in your life try to work with the system. I need to go, I've got to head to the hospital and see what else I can learn about Manning and his shooter. I don't want you involved in this. You'll only muddy the water right now. Keep yourself under the radar. So far only a handful know who you really are, let's keep it that way. If the papers get wind of a second Todd Manning right now, all hell will break loose." Nora stood up and headed for the door. " I mean it, Todd.  Stay out of it."

 Todd saw her out and headed back into the living room. That had turned out better than he had imagined. Who knew he could actually get along with Nora Buchanan. Todd took the tray back into the  kitchen and then got back on the computer to get the current scoop on Manning. Nothing more had been released to the Public. Todd debated trying to reach Starr but knew she probably had her cell turned off in the hospital.  He was just going to have to be patient until either Blair or Starr thought to call him. God, he hated being patient.  Todd sat down on the couch and went back over the earlier conversation with Nora. He really had been caught off guard when Nora had said she believed him and then had offered her help. Perhaps even more so when she had returned his handshake. The whole world was turning upside down, he was actually getting help from Nora Buchanan. Would wonders never cease?

 A couple of hours had past since Nora's visit. There had been no updates on Manning's condition. Todd looked at the clock, he had thought someone would have called by now, but they hadn't. He needed to know if Manning was alive. After looking at the clock, he realized that he hadn't heard from Ray. They hadn't set a time for Ray's visit and now Todd was worried the visit might not take place. Ray had no idea there were two Todd Mannings. Todd knew he was just going to have to trust in God on this one. If he was supposed to get his head on straight, then Ray would show up. If he didn't, Todd was back where he started.

 Samuel's last coming out had been rough. Todd just knew he was losing Samuel, losing wasn't the right word, but that is what it felt like. He hadn't known him long, not like he knew Tom and Rodd and Pete, but Samuel had proved to be one of the best parts of him. Because Samuel had been there, Todd wasn't lying in some insane asylum right now. Todd was chilled by the thought of spending time in any kind of mental facility. That is why he had always kept his alters a secret. He was afraid everyone would think he was crazy.  Now he was getting ready to open up to a shrink about that very secret. "Come on Starr, give me a call." This waiting was driving him crazy. He couldn't find out anything about Manning and he didn't know if Ray was going to show. He wasn't even sure what he was going to say to Ray when he saw him. Todd paced, he needed to be doing something, but the last time he had tried to draw when he didn't have a subject had resulted in that horrendous picture concerning his nightmare. He wasn't ready to face any more nightmares without someone to bring him out if he got trapped.

 Todd had given up any hope of hearing anything when the phone rang. "Hello, I thought you'd never call, is he alive?... Ok, I know you need to stay. What about Hope?... Addie's picking her up.... What did you just say? Blair's mom, Addie?...She's cured! Ok, is she going to bring Hope here? Alright, No that's fine... I love Addie, We'll be fine. Have your mom call me. I hope he makes it." Todd hung up, it was selfish, but he needed Manning to live. Manning was proof of Carlo's plot.

 He was so busy thinking about the phone call he didn't hear the doorbell. Suddenly he realized someone was at the front door. Todd was nervous.  How do you tell someone you haven't seen in 16 years, that you suffered from something like DID?  This was going to be tricky. Todd answered the door.

 He studied the man standing in front of him. Time had been good to him.  The only things, that showed how long it had been, were the laugh lines around his eyes and the gray at his temple. "It's been a long time Ray.  Won't you come in." Todd stood back and let him in.

 Ray had been doing some studying of his own since the door had opened. He had been curious ever since he had taken the call. He remembered Todd. It had been hard to forget him. The man facing him looked like he had seen more hard action. Ray noted the second scar and wondered how Todd had received that. It was a pretty wicked scar and must have caused a lot of pain when inflicted. Ray also noted Todd's pallor. Todd had mentioned something about just getting out of the hospital. When Todd had called, he said he needed his help. There had been something in Todd's voice that had sounded a little desperate. Ray had always felt like Todd had only touched the surface of his problems when he had been pardoned by the Governor. Without the mandatory order for counseling, Todd had quit their visits. Ray had often wondered how Todd had fared when he got his release. "Todd, I was surprised to hear from you. Heard your life really changed after the pardon. Something about you being Victor Lord's heir. How did that work for you?"

 Todd looked at Ray, "Well that remains to be seen, Ray. That remains to be seen. Welcome to my home."

 Ray walked in and looked around the living room, it was a sharp contrast to the man he had known in prison.  The room gave off an air of sophistication and warmth, something Ray had only glimpsed in Todd. Todd had always carried himself with arrogance, but there had always been that air of sophistication about him.  In prison, the arrogance was all you saw unless you got to know him. Ray felt like they had been getting to know each other. Then Todd had ceased therapy. Todd obviously didn't need any money and judging by the playpen in the corner, it looked like he had managed to get his own family. What did Todd need with a humble rape counselor? "I must admit Todd, I’m curious? What prompted you to call me?"

 "Have a seat Ray. This is a tale you should hear sitting down. This looks perfect doesn't it, a home and obviously a family. This is all smoke and mirrors, Ray. Oh, it's real in a sense but I'm living a lie right now. I can't even be me because someone else has that honor right now. But I need to go back a lot of years. I'll tell you my story then let you judge if you believe it or not.”   

 Todd waited until Ray got comfortable, then sat down opposite him.  “Remember that anger we spoke of all those years ago. It's still here, I live with it constantly, it churns inside me and haunts my dreams. I fear that one day it's going to overtake me for good. There's more inside me than that darkness, Ray.   I live eat and sleep with a several very real personalities. A number of them have been with me since childhood. The last one appeared eight years ago. This is his penthouse we're sitting in and those are his paintings on the wall.”  

 Todd watched as Ray looked at the paintings and raised an eyebrow. “I know, you're skeptical. It's quite a leap from a young man with anger management issues to someone with a personality disorder.  Do you remember those sessions where you would hammer me about my father, Peter Manning? You have no idea how close you got when you wanted me to open up about him. Do you know he wasn't even my dad?  God the things he..” Todd paused and gulped unable to go on. Just thinking of Peter brought on a headache.  

Like before, Ray didn’t say anything. Todd took a deep breath and continued.  “Then there was finding out about my real bastard of a father, Victor Lord. Does a man's psyche wonders when he finds out his Father raped his sister when she was just a little girl and continued it till she was almost in college. I almost lost it the night I found that out. I wanted to tear him from limb to limb, but all I had was the crypt and a coffin to swear at." Todd looked at Ray, tears in his eyes he whispered. "I found out just what kind of man I came from on the eve of my wedding. I wanted to hide and never come out that night, I had raped Marty and my father had raped his own daughter. My sister Vicki found me in the tomb the next morning and convinced me I had a chance at a life. I married Blair and she gave me a daughter, unfortunately, the curses of my fathers didn't let up. I lost Blair because of the anger deep inside me, then one of my alters wreaked havoc and took fifteen people hostage. In the month that followed that event I lost my way and my alters came out to play. By the time I regained control, I thought I had finally found some happiness with my second wife Tea, but fate stepped in and my world tumbled again. Everyone believed my alters had been faked so I let them continue to believe it, until recently."

Todd paused again. His heart started racing. Hold it together and just spit the story out. Hell, it's like tearing off a band-aid.  "Eight years ago I almost died.  The event was so horrific that before I gave in to my wounds and passed out, I split once again and Samuel emerged. Samuel has been in charge these last eight years, but Samuel had no memory of me or my other alters. So he forged a new life as an artist. We've been living in Paris all these years. Someone took away my memories and as they finally started coming back to Samuel, I finally became aware again. Unfortunately something was keeping me from taking control. Several nights ago I went back to my father's tomb. It was there that the trauma that brought about Samuel happened, I attempted to retrace the events and finally faced the memories, but it cost me, I had a heart attack that night, actually several, before they were able to stabilize me. Now I'm cursed with a bad heart. I can't take back my life because someone else has been me for the last eight years. Even my daughter, my sister, and the women I love believed he was me and accepted him. My God, Tea and Blair married him. But I'm supposed to be alright with all of that, I can't get angry about betrayal, I can't let them see how hurt I really am, because they all feel so God Damn sorry for me and they're worried I'm going to have another heart attack. I'm being attacked daily by my alter Pete who is gaining strength and I feel absolutely helpless.”

Ray was stunned, The man in front of him, who moments before had seemed so in control, was, in fact, falling apart. Ray looked at Todd and knew what it had taken this man to ask for help. He had watched him struggle with his demons once before, but he had never conquered them and now they were attacking in force. Todd was figuratively on his knees pleading for help and he had turned to Ray.

 Todd caught his breath and had to look away from Ray. He didn't know where those last few statements had come from. Once he had started everything had come pouring out. It scared him.  Had he really been holding in all of the turmoil?  He had been letting it build up in him. Trying to not show Vicki, Blair or Starr just how miserable he really was. He hadn't wanted to hurt them, but in truth he was seething. He had really tried to understand how they had all mistaken Manning for him. Inside he felt like they had all stabbed him and turned the knife for good measure. He looked back at Ray. He needed to get rid of this anger before it poisoned him, before he could face his alters, he had to first face himself. "Ray I need your help, whatever you can give. I'm going to lose it all again. I can feel it. There will be no coming back it I lose it again." he couldn't talk anymore.   He was headed into another panic attack and he had to stop it.  He stumbled up and away from the couch. He had to find a way to calm down or he was going to pass out.

 Ray watched as Todd got paler then noticed his breathing getting shallower. He had seen enough panic attacks in his therapy sessions to realize Todd was in the middle of one and if his heart was weak from the attacks, he needed to get it under control or the heart rate could push him into another attack. Once Todd stumbled to his feet, Ray knew he had to hurry. Ray quickly went to his side. "Todd you need to sit back down.  You need to slow down your breathing, Todd can you hear me." Before he could get Todd back to the couch, he collapsed. He had passed out. Ray laid him flat on the floor and began checking his pulse. It was racing but strong. Next Ray checked his heart, noting the heart monitor. Once Todd had passed out his breathing had slowed normally, Todd's color was pinking up as oxygen was moving through his system and heart correctly. Ray could see Todd was beginning to come around.

 Todd came up out of the darkness, as he opened his eyes he saw Ray leaning over him. Suddenly Ray became another man, it was Victor again. "NO! NOT MY HEART!" he was lost again.

 Ray had been trying to help Todd up when he had suddenly screamed in horror and had passed out again. Ray checked him over again, but he hadn't passed out from a panic attack, he had been frightened and had passed out from fear. Ray didn't want to call 911 because he knew it was the last thing Todd would want. Ray went over to Todd's bar and got a towel and some ice. Maybe he could use a little bit of natural shock therapy, he went and laid the ice directly on Todd's skin. Todd jumped but still didn't revive. If he couldn't get Todd to wake up soon he'd have to make the call. The second cube did the trick, Todd started coming around again. This time Ray stayed out of his line of sight and just talked to him, "Come on Todd, that's it just breathe. you'll be fine."

 "Unfortunately he's not fine Ray, If you'll help me sit up, I'll explain." said Samuel.

 Ray did a double take, the face was Todd's, but the intonation of the words spoken and the expression on his face said it wasn't Todd. He offered his hand to the gentleman next to him and help him to the couch. then Ray waited for the explanation.  Ray had heard of DID but had never come across it. Now he appeared to be in the presence of his first alter.

 "My name is Samuel Toddman and I am the alter who has been in charge of Todd's body for the last eight years. What you just witnessed is the last vivid memory Todd has of the moment he almost died. I don't know if he'll come back out tonight. Let me explain, Todd vividly remembers his father Victor Lord coming at him with a knife. To Todd's oxygen starved brain, Victor wanted his heart. In reality,  the knife coming toward him made this scar, but Todd was no longer there I was. So here we are now still dealing with the fallout from that night and many others. Some of Todd's secrets are buried too deep even for me. I know that his other four alters are protecting him from something that happened when he was a boy. They told me only Todd has the key. So I ask this question again for Todd. Will you help us? He trusts you, I know from his memories that you're the one man he's ever trusted fully. I know you helped him in the past. I'm aware you work for the State and your caseload is overwhelming but I think Todd was hoping you would help as a friend and he has very few of those.”

 Ray was fascinated. He had known Todd was a complex man when they had talked all those years ago. He had never realized just how complex and damaged he was until now. He had been about to tell Todd that he couldn't take on an individual case with everything on his plate, but he realized that Todd rarely asked for help of any kind. Todd considered it a sign of weakness if he couldn't handle his own problems. This time Todd was doing more than asking for help, Todd had basically said it he was putting his life on the line. Ray realized he was a little out of his league, but Todd didn't think so. He had put his trust and his faith in Ray and he was asking for Ray to take him on, all of him. It didn't feel right to say no. A man had asked for his help as a friend. He had never imagined that Todd thought of him as a friend. But it felt pretty good. So one friend to another he made up his mind to help. "Samuel I'll help you. Pass that along to Todd. I do have one question. Why did Todd keep saying there was another Person who had been living his life? I don't understand."

 "Todd said that because it is true. Eight years ago someone came back to Llanview with a different face and claimed to be Todd Manning. That person has been living Todd's life with Todd's family ever since. That is why Todd is feeling betrayed and hurt. He can't comprehend how they didn't know the difference, and it's killing him. There is the other problem you heard, Pete is the violent side of Todd and as the anger in Todd builds, Pete is getting stronger. We have to find a way to release Todd's anger before it consumes us all and all that is left is Pete."

 Samuel was feeling stronger and sat up straighter. "I can see in your eyes that you are an intelligent and caring therapist. Read up on us, it will help you, but you should be aware that I'm not going to be around much longer. Todd and I are beginning to integrate which, in the long run, will help him, but I fear I'm leaving him in the lurch with regards to Pete. He needs a friend Ray, a real friend, someone he can confide in, that isn't walking around in his head. I hope we can be that, friends. He's ready, I hope we see each other again, but if we don't thank you."

 Samuel closed his eyes and Todd took his place. Todd met Ray's eyes.  "Samuel said you would help. Thank you."




*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!