WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Who's the Real Todd? Chapter 29

While waiting for the tests to proceed, Todd told Blair to find the kids, eat, and then check on Manning's status. While she was at it, he asked her to talk to Tea about Jack. After she left, he took the time to have a chat with Samuel. To the nurses he appeared to be resting. but he was doing so much more than that. "Samuel, we're going to find out if there is more to the pain. Now I want to know what made you think there was something synthetic to the problem and not just mental." He couldn't find the corridor and he was beginning to get worried. "Hey, what going on in here. Where are you guys?"


Samuel popped beside him suddenly. "We've got a problem. Once you see it you'll understand. Come with me."


Todd followed Samuel it was weird, he began hearing this strange whirring sound. It was something he had never heard before. Where the hell was it coming from. It was getting louder. Then he saw everybody else standing together staring at something. Wait a minute not everyone, where was Pete. They parted and Todd saw the ornate door in front of him and Pete on the ground cradling his arm. "What the ...What happened." he knelt down to look at Pete's arm. It was badly burnt.


Pete grimaced and said. "Tried to open the damn thing. Don't you hear it?"


There it was, the sound of something similar to a generator and it was coming from behind the door. He started to reach for it and Samuel stopped him . "You can't touch it, Pete didn't tell you everything earlier. Your stress wasn't the only thing that brought on that heart attack. Everything happened at once, you were hyperventilating and we had discovered that there was suddenly sound coming from behind the Door. Pete made the mistake of reaching for it and all hell broke loose. Pete took the shock in his arm and your heart seized. I had to tackle Pete to break the hold and by then you were in full cardiac arrest. We collapsed along with you.  When you regained consciousness so did we but Pete was just a little cantankerous because he's never experienced pain the way the rest of us have. It made him out of sorts with you. That why I told you what I did. I think the door hides the implant, and it's connected to our nervous system when Pete grabbed the doorknob the electrical current zapped through him and straight to your heart. We can't touch it, it needs to be removed surgically, that is, if they can find it"


"Mr. Toddman, Are you alright?" Todd felt a hand on his shoulder and realized the conversation with Samuel was going to have to wait. He opened his eyes and replied "I'm fine, just resting."


The nurse smiled and said "We're going to take you for your CT scan, You just take it easy. This shouldn't take too long."


They wheeled him out of ICU. Todd noticed that his shadow was keeping a reasonable and unobtrusive distance then he took off and disappeared. Todd didn't like that where the hell had he gone. He was being wheeled into the elevator when Larry took over for the nurse. The nurse pushed the button for the floor and departed. The doors closed and he and Larry were alone. Larry pushed the stop button and turned to Todd.


"We need to talk. Todd,if you are sure that Kipling is the man responsible for your memory problems, then we have a major problem. I thought Kipling was dead. If he's involved in this and he's tampered with your brain, this is going to be like walking through a mine field. If you are correct and he implanted something, he's got a backup program that will kill you in an instant if he gets wind that we discovered what he did. I want you to be sure you know what is at stake if we rock the boat. I talked to Blair and she told me you're engaged to be married. You can live a long life with that piece of machinery in your head. All you have to do is forget Kipling and Hesser and go on with your life as Samuel Toddman. Todd, I know what Kipling is capable of, he almost killed me. You have Blair back and your kids, back away from this." Larry waited he had seen Todd's face as he was talking and knew what his answer was going to be. But he had felt the need to try and stop Todd.


At first Todd couldn't believe it when Larry had started talking. As he had listened he realized Larry was trying to warn him, not stop him. He knew Larry was right he could walk away right now and probably live a long life but he'd be living a lie. He couldn't do that. For eight long years he had done just that and that life had been empty. True he had Blair and the kids but if he couldn't be himself, something would always be missing. Eventually it would become between him and his loved ones. Just like Samuel had gone into that cemetery months ago knowing he wasn't going to come out, so too did he have to have the scan. If there was an implant, it was the proof he needed to get both Hesser and Kipling. "I know you mean well, Larry. Answer me truthfully. If you were me would you just let him off the hook?'


Larry sighed, "No Todd I wouldn't. But I'm in better shape than you are and as a doctor it's my duty to try and talk you out of something that could kill you. The scan room and hallway should be clear now. Let's go see what Kipling might have done." At that Larry started the elevator and they proceeded to the scanning room.


Larry had called in a radiologist he knew wasn't in any one's pocket and the scans were done quickly. Larry had watched the monitors and seen Todd's heart scan, it hadn't been pretty. If Todd couldn't keep a lid on the stress his heart was simply going to stop functioning. Then they began the brain scan Larry and the radiologist looked at each other.


"Damn" said the radiologist." I've never seen anything like it before. Only a top notched surgeon is going to be able to remove it."


"I agree, but I think I know a surgeon who just might be able to perform that surgery. Remember you never saw these scans.  I'm taking this copy and the rest you delete. Thanks for coming in. If you run into anyone just tell them you were called in to read a particularly hard Xray." Larry shook his hand.


The radiologist looked at Larry, "Is the guy a friend?"


Larry shook his head, yes. "He's a part of my extended Family."


"Too bad, hope that surgeon friend is good. That guy's going to need the best." He shook his head and exited.


Larry took another look at the scan and went to give Todd the bad news.


Larry got Todd out of the scanner and helped him back onto his bed. Then he pulled up the scans on his notebook and showed them to Todd. "I'll start with these, Todd. Your heart is working but just barely. The attacks have caused a lot of damage. That damage is here to stay. I'm amazed you're still kicking. But I shouldn't be, I know what your body has been through just in the years I've known you. That head scan told me about the trauma caused by the wounds that made your scars too. You were exceedingly fortunate not to lose your sight. but I don't think you're going to like these next scans. You were right Todd. Kipling has inserted something in your brain."


Larry turned on the brain scan pictures. At first there didn't appear to be anything there but as the scan went deeper Todd saw an image begin to appear. "You have got to be kidding me! THAT is in my brain. I take it it's not going to be an easy removal is it." Todd looked at the picture in front of him. There on the screen in the midst of his brain sat a piece of technology nestled and connected with multiple wires running into his brain. It looked a little like a spider had taken up residence in his head. Todd was fascinated and revolted but most of all he was angry.


"Only a skilled surgeon is going to be able to remove it Todd, and if he does, we have no idea what it might do to you. That's been in there for eight years. It is in the part of your brain that stores memories. You could very well find yourself once more without memories if any mistakes are made removing it. My advice would be to leave it alone but you're not going to do that. I know an excellent young surgeon who's making quite a name for himself in the field of microsurgery. He operates in Seattle but he's related to someone here in town and did his early residency here. I can arrange a meeting with him. Let me talk with him and explain all the secrecy needed for your protection. His brother is a cop, so he's familiar with the need for things to be kept below the radar. If you're determined to get it out then let me begin making the calls. In the meantime, you've had enough excitement for today. I know you don't want to hear this but you're our guest at least for the night. You can go home tomorrow." Larry began rolling Todd's bed back to the elevator and Todd saw his shadow waiting there for them.


"Larry, what's the name of this hot shot surgeon if I may ask? inquired Todd as the elevator doors closed.


"Sure Todd, his name is Michael McBain, he's Detective John McBain's brother." answered Larry.


The nurse took over for Larry when they got to the ICU. She rolled Todd into the room and Larry went in search of Todd's doctor. Todd thought it was an interesting coincidence that the detective he was currently working with was the brother of the surgeon he needed but there was something about the name of the surgeon that sounded familiar. Then it hit him. He recalled Samuel making a trip out to Seattle to talk to a young doctor who had worked the Emergency Room at Philadelphia General the night he had been taken there by the research facility. That young doctor had been Dr. McBain. Now he knew there was a God. The young doctor,who had given him his first big lead, was hopefully going to be able to get him free of implant that Kipling had installed. It was ironic how things were coming full circle.


Todd found himself drifting off as he listened to the various beeps and noises around him. He was almost asleep when he felt her lips tough his in a gentle kiss. " Lady, I'm engaged don't let my fiance see you doing that."


Blair laughed and kissed him again and looked down into his hazel eyes. "Did the doctor get the results back from your heart scan?"


"I'm believe so but he hasn't been back to talk to me about it. What about Manning?" asked Todd.


"Actually Walker was released yesterday evening. And before you ask, Walker has found a scapegoat for Jack. According to Tea, no charges will be filed against Jack. You were right Samuel, and Tea is furious with Walker. Jack is going to skate. What are we going to do with Jack?"


"Blair if we can't get the courts to punish him then we have to find something equally disgusting and a little scary to punish him. I don't want to see Jack turning into my father." Todd replied "Let me think about it I'm sure I can come up with something."


"Alright what about the other problem. Did we find out something about it?" Blair looked at Todd , he seemed evasive and that scared her. "Samuel, I can tell something is wrong."


Just as he was about to tell her, Vicki, Starr and Jack returned and he changed the subject. "Okay, someone please tell me there are still good things out there to eat. All they've given me is something they called soup and who spilled the beans about the breakfast I had this morning." Starr looked guilty and Todd laughed "Oh not you Shorty, I thought we had a pact. Best buds don't rat each other out. How could you?"


"I'm sorry it just came out in passing. I was telling Aunt Vicki about it, I guess the doctor heard me." answered Starr. She looked at her dad and knew he was deliberately keep the conversation light. What had happened while they had been at lunch?


Vicki was watching Todd too, and sensed he was avoiding something. He obviously didn't want to alarm Starr and Jack. She knew the only way he would talk to her was if they were alone.


"Hey, enough of this hovering. Why don't you all take off for now. They're not going to let me go home till tomorrow. If something changes Blair can let you know." Todd looked at Blair and she nodded.


"Samuel's right.  Starr take Jack home and check on Hope. You can let Addie and Sam know Samuel's alright." said Blair.


Starr knew they wanted to talk in private. "Sure Mom, come on Jack, let's head home. We can come back later." She grabbed Jack and pushed him toward the door.


Vicki looked at her brother and said. "I need to go check on Matthew and Rex, but I'll be back." She gave Todd a look that told him to count on some alone time with her and she departed.


Once they were gone, Blair turned back to Todd. "Okay, you've stalled long enough. What happened?"


Todd knew he couldn't avoid it any longer. "We were right. There is something in my head. It's not very pretty and according to Larry it's going to be tricky to remove. He says there is a possibility I could end up losing my memory all over again. Blair, I don't want to wait. Let's get married. Now, tonight."


Blair felt fear deep inside. Todd was talking like he might not be around for much longer. "Samuel we can't, we don't have a license. Tell me why it's so urgent we do it tonight."


"Blair , I've lost too much time already. I don't trust this ticker of mine and I've got to get that thing out of my head. Knowing it's there is driving me crazy. Come on. If not tonight then whatever the shortest length of time it would take. We'll keep it simple. You, me, the kids and Vicki and Ray. I need this Blair. I need you." Todd pleaded. He couldn't tell her he thought he wouldn't make it out of the operation alive. At least they could have a few days of Happily Ever After before he went under the knife.


Blair knew he was serious. " Okay Todd but we're doing it legally. I'll contact Ray and get the license for you to sign today before the courthouse closes. If we're going to do this then I need to tell the kids and Addie too. There isn't too much afternoon left. I'll be back with that license." She gave him a kiss and hurried out. She had two calls to make before hitting the courthouse. If Todd wasn't going to tell her everything she would get the information from Larry.


Todd hated inactivity. He had gotten out of bed and begun pacing the room much to the dismay of his nurses. He had unplugged the heart monitor and bells and whistles had gone off, bringing them running thinking he had once again flat lined. They had tried to get him back in bed but he responded. "Listen. I agreed to stay the night, but I can't lay in that bed a minute longer get me a portable monitor unless you want to bring on another attack."


The nurses immediately backed off and went in search of his doctor. The next thing Todd knew they were back with a portable monitor and then let him be. He was still deep in thought when Vicki returned. He nodded at her and continued to pace till she spoke. "Samuel you need to sit down for a minute. We're alone. Tell me what has happened."


Todd stopped and found a chair. He sat down and looked at his sister. "Larry's surprised I'm still alive. He said this attack added more damage and anyone else would be in need of a new heart by now, but that's only the tip of the iceberg. You remember my mentioning a guy by the name of Ivan Kipling. Well it turns out he's the doctor that is in cahoots with Carlo Hesser. Samuel and I have been remembering some things about my missing three months and one thing we both remembered is what the guy looked like who experimented on us. Larry confirmed that man is Ivan Kipling."


"But I don't understand what is Larry doing here, he's not on staff any longer how come you talked to him." asked Vicki. This was getting confusing. Todd was talking like Larry was one of his doctors and she found it unusual that Larry would have taken Todd on as a patient. Could it have something to do with Kipling? "Samuel, what exactly have you been remembering?"


"I can't go too deep into a description of what Kipling put me through because I'll very likely black out. You see not only did he experiment on me he also inserted something into my brain to keep me from remembering. Larry came on board to ascertain if something had been implanted and we got the proof this afternoon. It's there, something deep in my brain, not only that, but it's got a small connection to the electrical currents in my body that help operate my heart. I need to get it removed but it's dangerous" Todd stopped talking and noticed his hands were shaking a little bit. He clasped them together. "Larry is contacting a surgeon he knows and he told me that removing the implant might cause me to once again lose all my memories. I'm scared Vicki. I'm out of options."


Vicki caught her breath, it couldn't be true, but she knew it was. Kipling had tampered with Larry all those years ago. He was insane enough to attempt mind control again only this time he had used her brother. "Oh Todd.." she didn't know what to say.


He ran his fingers through his hair and stood back up "Don't do that. You know I can't stand pity. There's only one answer to this and I'm doing it, I'm having the surgery. But enough, do you want to come to a wedding in a couple of days. Blair has accepted my proposal and in three days time, Blair Cramer and Samuel Toddman will be tying the knot. I need you there, can I count on you? I'm going to marry her while there is still time. If something goes wrong we'll at least have these few days together."


Vicki nodded "You know I'll be there. I also believe that you're going to come through this surgery with flying colors. After all, you're the one and only real Todd Manning. Nothing has been able to stop you so far. I know nothing as insignificant as a simple implant is going to stop you now. You tell me where and when and I'll be there. That's a promise." She walked to him and gave him a kiss and then said,  "Now let's get you back into bed. Give yourself a chance to make it to your Wedding Day without anymore mishaps."


Before Todd could get back into bed Blair came into the room. "You Bastard! You promised no more secrets, that we were in this together and you lied."


Todd looked struck "Blair I couldn't ... I didn't know how..." he turned to Vicki  "Help me!"


Vicki moved to intercept Blair. "Blair think, did he really lie or just omit. Ask yourself why? Look at him Blair. Give him a chance to explain." She looked at her brother and knew he was terrified he had inadvertently lost Blair and it was killing him.


Blair stopped and looked at the man she had come gunning for, the man who had always manipulated her to keep her oblivious to the truth. After talking to Larry she had been mad because Todd had kept her out of the loop about surgery. She thought he had lied because he was keeping her in the dark for her own good and if she was planning a wedding she wouldn't know what he was up to until it was too late. It had made her blood boil that he was back to taking her for granted. Now she paused and saw what Vicki saw. Todd wasn't trying to keep her in the dark, he was terrified he was going to lose her and had pushed the wedding because he needed her so badly and the surgery scared him to death. He hadn't omitted it on purpose, he had omitted it because his chances of survival were almost nonexistent and he wasn't prepared to face them yet. Her anger gone she walked to him and placed both hands on his face and said, "You fool. No matter the outcome, I'm not going anywhere." she kissed him, tasting his tears, and said gently "get back into bed. I've got to get to the courthouse, I have a license to get."



*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!