WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Who's the Real Todd? Chapter 30

Todd was buttoning his shirt when Blair arrived. After kissing him, she put the paperwork down and took over for him. "I'm not helpless Blair," he said.


She smiled " I know but it gives me a chance to enjoy the view longer." As she buttoned the last button she asked. " Have you talked to Larry or your cardiologist yet this morning."


Todd nodded, "He said I'm out of danger for now and you know the rest, no stress, change the diet etc. I haven't talk to Larry, I'll try and reach him when I'm home. Let's get out of here."


A short time later they arrived at the penthouse and noted that power had been restored, Todd quickly went to his desk and opened his laptop he pulled up Dr McBain's information and liked what he saw. Larry was right. The young doctor had been making a name for himself in the medical community and his expertise in microsurgery had garnered respect from doctors around the world. Todd and Blair had discussed the surgery after she had returned the previous night. She had forgiven him for not telling her about the surgery and he had explained his fears about waking up with no memories once again or the possibility of not waking up at all. They knew that the surgery had to remain a secret from Carlo so they had decided the surgery would be done as part of their honeymoon. Now they waited on Larry's connections and the hope that Dr McBain could fit Todd into his very busy schedule. 

Todd picked up his phone and called the police station. "Detective McBain please. " he waited as the call was put through to John "Yes detective, Samuel Toddman here, I'm calling on behalf of my fiance to check on the status of the GiGi Morasco case. I understand Blair's son Jack was under suspicion as a possible culprit and wondered if you could tell me if the police were going to be pressing any charges..... I see, so as of right now young Jack is off the hook. Yes I agree it's an unfortunate set of circumstances. On a different subject entirely, I wonder if you could possibly meet me somewhere to discuss a security issue I'm currently looking into concerning the Sun .... Yes I believe that would work, shall we say 4:30 this afternoon. Excellent, I will see you then."


He had his meeting with John set.   He felt the need to get out of the penthouse and figured it wouldn't alert Carlo. Todd started to head up the stairs and noticed that Tea's picture was crooked on the wall, something was off. Todd's paranoid senses went off. Someone had been in the penthouse while the power had been off. He walked over to the picture, he carefully felt around the back of the frame until he felt it. He straightened the picture leaving the bug in place, for now he just needed to find out how many more uninvited guests he had. After more than an hour of searching he had found bugs in every room in the house. In anger he destroyed the bugs in Hope's and Starr's rooms, furious that Carlo had sent someone to invade his home. They would all need to be extra careful until Todd could get Bo and his team over to debug the house, one slip of the tongue would let Carlo know he had his memory back.


The phone rang and Todd realized that he had no way to alert Larry about the bugs. "Samuel Toddman here. May I ask who's calling. Ah Dr. Wolek yes my cousin told me about you... I appreciate your interest ... No, I've had no recurrences today. You say there is an operation that might improve my chances to weather another attack... Yes I would be very interested . I really would like to be able to enjoy my upcoming marriage to Ms. Cramer. Thank you so much for your interest and information. I will certainly look into it. I hope we get a chance to meet perhaps you could join my fiance and me for dinner say a couple nights from now. You're free, that would be delightful. Shall we say the Palace Restaurant? We'll see you then." Todd was amazed at how quickly Larry had realized that Todd was being overheard and had gone along with the chat. They had managed to set up a dinner where they could chat and exchange the dates and times of the upcoming surgery without letting Carlo in on the name of the doctor and the type of surgery he'd be performing.


Todd fixed himself a late lunch and sat down to write a note to leave for Starr and Blair telling them about the "Bugs" around the house and to make sure they talked about him as Samuel until they could be eradicated. Then he headed out, he had a couple of errands he needed to run before meeting John.


Todd had been thinking about it ever since Blair had dropped him off at home, the drive up there didn't take long and he wondered if his memory was accurate. He pulled the papers out from under the seat where Samuel had left them after coming back from Seattle. He pulled off the road and started down the driveway stretching out in front of him, he rolled to a stop gazing at it. His heart lurched. It was as stunning as he had imagined it would be. Before leaving the country Samuel had come across the papers in safe deposit box and had fallen in love with the plans. For some unknown reason, Samuel had set the plan in motion. He had hired the contractors and had paid for the construction trusting the work to a man who's name had been attached to the papers. Todd had designed it with Blair in mind all those years ago. Then Jack had developed Aplastic Anemia and his lie had torn them apart. He had put the plans away in the box along with Samuel's ID after returning from the island. Now he saw his vision come to life. It was to be his wedding surprise for Blair and he stopped the car to go see if everything inside was as stunning as the outside.


Todd walked to the front doors admiring the stain glass windows that flanked the carved doors. Two beautiful black dragons stood guard on either side ready to protect the inhabitants from all danger. He pulled the chain from  around his neck and used the key to open the doors. Stepping into the entrance way he was blown away by the elegance of deep rich wood and stone that greeted him. Two curving stairways arched like two halves of a heart uniting at the top framing the entrance to the heart of the home, and the room beyond was breathtaking as the view to the valley spread out in front of him as windows from floor to ceiling filled the opposite wall. Todd walked to the windows and knew this was where the ceremony would take place. It was fitting, two halves of the same heart finally united and made whole.


Todd walked out the doors admiring the grounds around his home. The wilderness blended with the strong lines and natural elements of stone and wood that comprised the exterior of the structure. Todd locked the door and walked to his car taking another look before heading back down the mountain. "Thank you Samuel. I never thought I would see it built. I figured it was just another dream of mine that would never come true. I don't know what prompted you to complete it but I'm grateful that you did,"


"I did it as much for myself as I did it for you Todd. The artist in me fell in love with your vision. I think I contracted it before I left because I too had your dream in my head and I wanted something to believe in and have waiting for me if I ever came home. It's funny that even though I had no memory of where this place was, it didn't matter, I knew it was mine and I hoped that someday I would come home to it, little did I know that one day the woman you designed this for would show up on my doorstep and do just that, bring me home." Samuel replied. " Knowing what I know now, it's obvious to me that Blair holds the other end to our heartstring and we'll always find a way back to her."
  
Todd acknowledged that and headed back into town for his meeting with John.  He pulled into the parking lot at Rodi's and made his way inside, stopping at the bar to get a drink and then he joined John at his table. "Thanks for meeting me here." he said.


John replied. "Not a problem but you were a little cryptic on the phone.  What's up?"


Todd looked at John and said. "My penthouse has a bug problem if you get my drift it happened recently so it's not safe to talk freely there at the moment. Anything you guys can do to eradicate it will be appreciated."


John's ears had perked up when he realized what Todd was telling him. "How bad is it? "


"They bugged every room in the house including my daughter's and granddaughter's but those bugs are no longer operating, I'm afraid I lost my temper when I realized those bastards had violated Starr's and Hope's rooms. I left the rest alone because I wanted to talk to you and find out if any of them could be traced back to who's listening in. Have we had any more news on Kipling's residence and if he has any house guests?" asked Todd


"It's slow going on that front, Samuel, but the activity concerning the ambulances has been noticed and we've been trying to find out where a couple of them went after leaving Kipling's house. As to your bug problem I'll call in a favor with somebody at the bureau that might be able to trace the signal then we can exterminate the problem.  I had a call from your shadow yesterday who told me you had another heart attack. How are you doing? Are you sure you're up to pursuing this thing with Hesser and Kipling?" John took a sip of his beer and checked out the man sitting opposite him. "You look like this is taking it's toll, why don't you just let us take it from here."


"I can't do that, John, there's been another development. I have proof that those guys tampered with me and very likely Manning in a new diabolical way. They inserted something into my brain. I need to get it removed before it removes me. In fact I'm hoping your brother might be able to help me on that front. Blair and I are meeting with Dr. Larry Wolek later to discuss the dates for that surgery. I'm impressed John, your brother has built up quite a reputation in such a short amount of time. Do you think he can be trusted to keep this whole thing under his hat? I need to get my hands on that implant, it's the tangible proof we need to bring these guys down." Todd sat back and took a sip of his beer letting his words sink in.


Hearing his brother being mentioned made John sit up and look intently at Todd. "If you're seeing my brother this is serious, Samuel. I'm not bragging when I say he's good but he usually takes on the difficult surgeries other surgeons wouldn't attempt. I will tell you this, if this is that serious you can count on him to tell no one. Is Blair aware of this new wrinkle and just how dangerous it is?"


At first, Todd was surprised by such a personal question coming from John and then he remembered Blair telling him she had been married to John for a short time, it was obvious that John still had feelings where Blair was concerned and he was looking out for her. "Yes, John, Blair has been fully informed of my circumstances. You are aware that we're getting married, It wouldn't be fair to marry and leave her in the dark about this. In fact Blair will become Mrs. Samuel Toddman in the near future. We'll send you an announcement." Todd was getting ready to leave, then he remembered another question he needed to ask. "Did you find out any more about Christian?"


John shook his head no then said, "He's been behaving himself but we did find out he wasn't working at Capricorn the night the two assailants were killed and we've gotten his telephone records and he did receive several calls from the Cayman Islands which is where you told me Carlo was picked up. He's now being watched as a person of interest but that's all we can do unless another attempt is made against Manning or you." John leaned forward and said "Don't lose your shadow, Samuel. He's probably the only thing that's keeping Carlo from making another try for you, He doesn't trust what he's heard that's why he ordered the bugging of your home. I'll get on that problem immediately but you, Starr, and Blair need to be extra careful to talk and act like you're Samuel until the situation is resolved. One other thing, I'm not done with Jack yet. Samuel, I know he's your son but he committed a crime. I'm going to find another way to prove his involvement in Gigi's death. I hope you and Blair don't fight me on this too."


Todd had been waiting for this conversation but he also had been avoiding it. He frowned at John's slight threat but he shook off his irritation and grimaced saying, "You probably won't believe this but I'm actually praying you do find a way to tie him into it, John. Blair and I have talked and we feel the only way to save Jack is to find a way for him to be punished for his deed. My hands are tied because legally I'm just a cousin and the man his mom is marrying. I can't claim my parental rights, but you have my support. What my son did was unintentional but still criminal and if he doesn't pay for it now, I fear I'll lose him in the future when he does something else and it is intentional."


John sat there stunned. He had heard stories of the shenanigans that Todd Manning had perpetrated over the years to stay out of jail and now he was sitting here saying he wanted his son to face up to his crime and take the punishment. This wasn't the Todd Manning he expected, in fact, so far this man had surprised him at every turn. He was actually beginning to like the guy. John remembered a time when Blair had tried to explain her attraction to Todd Manning and he had had all sorts of trouble understanding how she could be taken in constantly by the man they all called Todd Manning. But this man had a different side to him than the Manning John knew, Samuel had a conscience and he had learned from his mistakes. Manning had been executed and still had remained the same arrogant amoral bastard to this day. The two men were, in fact, very different.
  
Samuel said one more thing to John before leaving. "Jack's not a harden criminal yet and he's not the one currently pulling strings for his freedom, that's Manning. Jack is remorseful, I've seen it but he's scared, so he's going to cling to the freedom his father has bought for him. I'll do what I can to get him to come forward on his own but I can make no promises. But if you find the evidence needed to bring him down before I can do that, I'm asking for your help to keep the penalty from being too severe. I realize I'm asking something of you that you might not be able to give, but as his father I have to make the attempt."


"Samuel I can't make any promises but I will consider everything you've just told me." replied John meeting Todd's eyes directly.


Todd had always been able to read people and he knew that John was a straight arrow and he could count on John to at least think about things. "I accept that, thanks for at least considering," Todd stood up held out his hand to the man across the table. He couldn't remember the last time he had offered his handshake to anyone but he found himself wanting to shake John's hand, he felt they had come to an understanding today and he wanted John to know it.


John reached across, shaking Samuel's hand as they sealed their agreement.


Todd walked out into the sun and reached for his sunglasses. Ever since the implant had been triggered, his head constantly throbbed like a perpetual hangover. He sat in his car for a minute thinking of the conversation he had just had. He never would have thought he could actually work with a policeman, He respected Bo's integrity but there had been times when Bo's Dudley Do Right mentality had grated on every nerve Todd had.  John was the exact opposite. Like recognized like, and from the moment he had met John, Todd had known John would have his back.  He also realized John understood shades of grey and it was that fact that Todd was able identify with. John was a rogue and Todd was comfortable with rogues.


The house was quiet when he arrived back home and then Todd realized he hadn't seen his Shadow at his usual place in the hallway. He paused in the doorway and saw him standing facing Samuel's gallery. Todd recognized him instantly, but he was supposed to be Samuel so he inquired, "Pardon Me, may I help you with something. I apologize, I wasn't aware that my fiance had arranged any meetings for today. I hope you haven't been waiting too long. My name is Samuel Toddman."


"No apologies necessary Mr. Toddman. I assure you this was a totally unplanned visit. I've been an admirer of yours for some time now, but I must say the three portraits you have on your wall are magnificent. When I heard you had returned to the states after your many years abroad I was stunned that you had taken up residence in my old stomping grounds. But how remiss of me. Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Carlo Hesser." Carlo turned and faced him. "I have the honor to own a number of your beautiful paintings, but alas right now I'm unable view them the way I used to. I was recently in touch with a mutual friend of ours, Monsieur Tomas sends his regards. He was telling me he has another of your portraits for sale. I believe he called it Sunset Memory. I must admit your perceptions of the lovely Blair Cramer are truly stunning."


Todd gestured to the couch and Carlo took a seat. Todd found his hand shaking a little bit as he set down the house plans and moved to take a seat opposite Hesser. As soon as he sat down he made a quick excuse. "Mr. Hesser, it is an honor to meet one of my patrons. If you'll pardon me while I catch my breath. I'm just home from the hospital. If you give me a moment. " Todd closed his eyes and immediately thought 'Samuel I need you now, Hesser is here but I swear if you don't take over I'll give us away.'


'I'm here Todd, rest and watch.'


Samuel opened his eyes and looked at the man patiently waiting and recognized the man he had seen several times with Dr. Kipling. "Like I said Mr. Hesser I can't tell you how pleased I am to make your acquaintance, but I'm curious. To what do I owe this visit? I'm also very curious how you know my beautiful fiance."


Carlo smiled and said "I've known your fiance for quite a long time. Like I said, Llanview used to be my home, in fact I used to own this penthouse.  But forgive me, I did have a reason for coming today. I heard some dreadful news regarding our friend Tomas. It seems he had a unfortunate accident one evening recently when leaving his studio. I was told it was quite serious but that Tomas is still alive. His assistant Simone informed me that he had ordered the rest of your paintings were to be delivered to you. So I've come with hat in hand to beg you to allow me to purchase the portrait that Tomas had up for sale. Barring that I was hoping to engage you to paint a portrait from a picture I had taken long ago." Carlo reached into his pocket.


Samuel held his breath, knowing at the moment he was at Carlo's mercy if he had a gun but Carlo pulled a picture from his pocket. Samuel accepted the picture and felt Todd's anger begin to surface. The picture had been taken the night Blair had confessed sleeping with Patrick and confessing her undying love to Todd only to have Carlo expose Todd as the person who had kidnapped Starr. Samuel kept a rein on the anger rolling through him knowing it was a good thing Todd wasn't out. He knew Carlo was trying to find out if he was Todd and he wouldn't give him the satisfaction. Samuel looked at the picture and remembered that night as Todd had looked down on her while she sang to him. "She is indeed lovely my fiance, perhaps you could tell me where you got this picture of her."


The disappointment in Carlo's voice could be heard as he commented. "I had the pleasure of attending an event that your fiance and her husband threw many years ago. I always liked that picture and wondered if you would consider my request and make me a portrait of it." Carlo had been certain the picture would expose Todd but Samuel had no memory of the event or what had transpired. It appeared Vega and his other spies were correct. Samuel Toddman had no idea he was the real Todd Manning. he waited to see if Samuel would agree to painting the portrait, in reality he missed his other paintings and he truly did admire Samuel's style and his subject.


Samuel hated the thought of selling even one more piece of art to Hesser but he also didn't want to spoil the plans already in the works for bringing down this man. He was very dangerous, Samuel had gotten the distinct impression that Carlo had been giving him a warning when he had mentioned Tomas's accident. Samuel knew he'd be checking on his friend the minute Carlo departed. "Mr. Hesser since you brought me the news of my friend and you've been a lover of my artwork the least I can do is paint this portrait for you. I must ask you to give me a little time to paint it as I'm getting married shortly and will be going on my honeymoon. Is there some way for me to let you know when the portrait is completed?" Samuel inquired. He really didn't hold out much hope that Carlo would give him any working address but he figured it was natural to ask.


"I'm afraid I'm currently in flux Mr.Toddman but I'll be in touch. I'll let you know where it can be delivered once I've settled someplace.  Will that be sufficient?" asked Carlo being evasive.


"Most assuredly Mr Hesser, just give me several weeks to get settled back into a routine after the wedding. I'm assuming you want this portrait in oils like the others you own.  It will take some time to dry properly so we can't rush it. Let's say you check back with me in under a month. It should be ready then." Samuel looked at Carlo trying to smile naturally but he knew the smile didn't reach his eyes, in reality there was nothing he wanted more than to let Todd or Pete have their way with this man. "Excuse me but I've been a bad host.  Could I get you a drink, Mr. Hesser." Samuel started to rise hoping Carlo would accept but pretty sure he would decline. He wasn't wrong.


Carlo arose from the couch and said. "I'm afraid I'll have to take a rain check on that Mr. Toddman. My ride is probably waiting for me as we speak but I will be in touch about the painting and please accept my congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I hope you and Ms. Cramer have a long and happy marriage. Don't get up I'll see myself out." Carlo departed and disappeared down the exit stairs before anyone saw him.

Samuel leaned back in the chair and looking at the picture said, "Mr Hesser, you'll be in hell before you ever get your hands on this particular portrait."


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!