WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Saturday, December 17, 2016

Memories Unlocked #23

# 23


Todd looked at the airplane with some trepidation.  It was small in comparison to the jets taking off from the airport and he wondered if they wouldn’t have been better off taking a commercial flight back to the States.  At the same time, he wasn’t ready for the stares he would get if he traveled commercial.  He also had a slight problem with Sawyer. The man was cocky and it just raised Todd’s hackles to be around the guy.  He kept having a memory of another man with dark hair, a man who acted like he was God’s gift to women.  He had no idea who the guy was but he knew he didn’t like him.  For that reason, he found himself reacting to Sawyer’s easy charm. “I’m not sure Doc would approve of that plane any more than she would the transport plane.  Is it even flight worthy?”


“Hey now, don’t put my baby down.  It’s seen a lot of travel but it is a good little plane. Sam didn’t have a problem with it and it did get us here to find you.” Sawyer patted the side of his plane and smiled rakishly at Todd.


“Yeah right,” Todd said dryly as he rolled up to the side of the plane.  “I see a problem here.  Any idea how to get me on?”


“Don’t worry about that.” Sawyer nodded to a ramp making its way across the tarmac.  “That should take care of your fears.  Listen, man, I get this isn’t easy for you.  It has to be uncomfortable not remembering your past and all.  From what Sam told me, you’re a survivor and hey, I have to give you props.  I never thought we’d find you but that wife of yours and Sam were convinced you would make it somehow.  Actually, I owe you big time.  Because of you, this baby is all mine and I met Sam.  She’s the best thing to happen to me in a long time.”


Todd’s eyebrow shot up. “So glad I could be of service to your love life. It’s not like I had anything better to do,” Todd replied caustically.


Sawyer’s eyes narrowed at Todd’s angry tone.  He realized then that Manning had a lot of anger beneath the surface.  “Sorry didn’t mean to touch a nerve.” he watched as Todd backed away from the plane for the ramp to be put in place.


Blair had been watching Todd and Sawyer and saw the change in Todd’s posture.  He was mad about something but from experience, she knew he wouldn’t say anything.  Turning back to Dr. Sanchez, she took the records and all the information the doctors in Llanview would need to see to Todd’s treatment.  “I know I never said this, but thank you for saving Todd’s life.  Because of you, Todd was still here for us to find.”


Miguela smiled.  “Todd was still here because he’s got a will of iron.  I do believe the children were also responsible for keeping him sane all these months.  That said, I think you and his own children also kept him grounded.  He just didn’t know it at the time.  Blair, have faith.  I know you haven’t made as much progress as you had hoped with Todd.  These things take time.  Remember, he’s battling two fronts, his amnesia, and the paralysis.  Stay strong and be there for him.  He’ll come back to you.  He’s just a little wary right now.”


Blair gave Miguela a quick hug.  “I know.  I’ll give him the time he needs.  At least, he’s warmed up to Starr and Jack, for now, that’s good enough.”  While she had been talking, Sam Vance had gotten Starr, Heddy and Jack settled on board and was stowing their luggage. As soon as Blair entered, Sawyer closed the plane up and he and Sam went to the cockpit.  Blair settled down next to Todd.  He was staring out the window at Miguela.  She took his hand and he turned to look at her.  “Are you okay?”


Todd shrugged. “I don’t know.  This is all I’ve known since I woke up in the hospital.  This has been my life.   It’s like I’m starting all over again.  The life I’m going back to is full of so many dark things that threaten to overwhelm me and I’m unsure what will happen when that life catches up to me.”


“Todd, you don’t have to face it alone.  I’m here for you and I mean it.  I love you and deep down I know you love me.  I have to have faith that you’ll remember that soon.  In the meantime, we’ll face things one day at a time and we’ll do it as a family.”


****


Bo looked at Sam.  “Are you sure you want me to do this?  Blair’s going to be really unhappy with you.  After all, you’re supposed to be one of Todd’s friends.”


“Don’t you think I’ve thought long and hard about this.  Something doesn’t make sense to me.  Blair told me Todd’s been sick and that he was badly injured when he was found in Guam.  But we all thought Todd had DID too.  I just don’t want him playing her for a fool.  He’s tricked her so many times I can’t help but feel like he’s playing on her sympathy.  I had a chance to do some research, and yes, Todd was in the hospital as a patient when he first arrived in Guam.  Of course, they wouldn’t give me specifics but he was released as a patient over two months ago.   Why didn’t he contact anyone then?”


“Well, it’s pretty obvious he didn’t want to be found.  He was almost arrested in Hawaii for trying to kidnap his own kids.  Maybe he chose to give Blair a chance to cool down and then he was going to reach out to her and plead his case.  It’s worked before, Sam.  You know how she is.”


“See, that’s what I mean.  Blair can’t help herself, she always has to help him.  I tell you, Bo.  He’s got her right where he wants her.  It’s just what he did to Tea and Vicki, and Blair even helped him back then.  She was the only one he let in on his secret.  You need to help me stop him.  The restraining order still stands.  Just arrest him when he gets off the plane.”


“I can arrest him but you know it won’t stick.  The fact that he’s traveling with Blair and the kids pretty well negates the order.  All I really can do is detain him for a short time and then he’ll be free.”


“Thanks, Bo   I know Blair will protest but all I need is some time alone with her to make her see reason.”


“Fine, when are they expected to land?”


“His private jet is arriving at 5:00 pm at Llanview Airport.  I told Blair I would meet her and she asked me to bring Vicki.  She thinks it will do Todd some good to see his sister.”


****


Todd jerked awake as the jet landed.  He didn’t know why, but he was disappointed the flight was ending.  He had been having a nice dream about Blair.  He vaguely remembered it but what was encouraging was that he had been dreaming about her and it hadn’t been another bad memory or anything.  For the last two weeks, she had teased him and supported him as he had tried to get his right leg to support his weight.  With the left leg still uncooperative, he hadn’t been the most pleasant person to be around.  On one particular day, she told him he wasn’t allowed to win the most pathetic game and he had laughed.  He realized she was telling the truth, he had been acting pathetic.  Most of all, when she said that phrase, it had seemed familiar and for lack of a better word, like something a friend would say to another.  It suddenly made him feel more comfortable around her.  He had been trying so hard not to hurt her but he knew she wanted something more from him and he just wasn’t ready.  He was so lost in thought he never saw the two men board the plane.


“Todd Manning, you’re under arrest.”


Totally surprised, Todd looked up to see an older man with gray hair and a younger man standing in front of him. Both were glowering at him but it was the statement that had just been made that shook him.  “What did you say?”


“Don’t act so surprised, Manning? What did you expect?  Although we can’t arrest you for the kidnapping attempt, you’re still in violation of the restraining order that says you can’t be within 100 yards of your family.” Bo frowned.  Todd appeared truly shocked, and made no move to get up.


“Antonio, it looks like Mr. Manning is at a loss for words for the first time in his life.  Come on, Manning, get up or I’ll have Detective Vega haul you out of that chair. Sam is convinced you’re running some sort of scam on Blair. I can’t do anything about that but I can follow through on the restraining order.  Come along quietly and if Blair drops the restraining order, you’ll be released.”


Todd wasn’t sure what to do.  In his heart, he knew he had been on the run and thanks to Starr he had figured out it was because he had tried to kidnap them. Because of that and the violence he had remembered, he had tried to send Blair and the kids home without him but she wouldn’t leave.  It appeared she had forgotten about the restraining order in her excitement to get them all home. He also was confused about why Sam Vance thought he was scamming Blair.  She knew about his legs.  It didn’t make any sense. He glanced at the man called Vega.  “I’d like to cooperate but we have a problem.  I’m afraid I can’t get up. If you would go get….”Todd was a unable to finish as the older man nodded at Vega.


Antonio moved to Todd’s side and grasped his arm. “Get up or you’ll be adding resisting arrest to the charges.”  He tugged, lifting Todd halfway out of the chair.


With his right arm entrapped by Vega, Todd tried to use his left arm to steady himself but it was too late.  Unable to get the right leg under him to help support his weight and already unbalanced with the left leg uncooperative, he collapsed to the floor.
The indignity aside, Todd winced as his right arm almost came out of its socket thanks to Vega still holding it.


“Manning, enough, get off the floor!”  Bo was furious.  He thought Todd would be more cooperative but it looked like he was up to his old tricks again.


“May I have my arm back?” Todd said angrily.


Bo nodded to Antonio and he released the arm. They watched to see what Todd would do next.


Rubbing his sore shoulder, Todd tried to get up into a sitting position, “I’m not trying to pull anything, you idiots,” he said under his breath, then he looked at the older man. ”Look, I don’t know you but I’m guessing you’re Detective Vega’s superior.  If you’ll just let me explain.”


“Damn it, Manning.  That’s it.”  Bo moved forward to help Vega with Todd, but before he could touch him, Vince, Todd’s pilot, came out of the cockpit.


“Mr. Manning, it’s time to get you off… Mr. Manning are you okay?”  Vince said as he saw Todd sitting on the floor and two men standing over him.  He recognized the Police Commissioner and took a guess that the second man was an officer.


“I’m fine and it appears I’m also under arrest.  Could you perhaps give the detective a hand and help me back into the chair?”  


Vince moved forward and Bo stood back saying, “Go ahead Antonio, help Mr. Manning back into his chair.”  He watched and noticed that Todd was pretty much dead weight as Antonio and Vince picked him off the floor.  As they went to set him in the seat, Bo saw a glint of something shiny under Todd’s pant leg.  Suddenly Todd leaned forward and reached toward the same spot. Thinking Todd was getting ready to make a move, Bo pulled his gun. “Hold it right there, Todd.  Move your hand away from your leg.  Antonio, search him.”


Todd sat back slowly and stared at the older man. He didn’t say anything. Vince was already headed to the back of the plane and Todd was forced to sit quietly as Antonio bent to pat him down.  Damn, when will this end? He knew what Antonia was going to find and it was all he could do to control his anger.


Bo stood silent, feeling the hatred coming off Todd.  If looks could kill he would be dead at Manning’s feet. He watched as Antonio stopped patting when he reached the right leg.  


“Got something.” Antonio looked up at Manning with a smirk.  “Did you really think you could hide a gun?”  


Todd icily stared back and said nothing.


Antonio began raising the pant leg and froze as it became apparent what he was uncovering. “Um Boss, put your gun down.  We have a problem.”


“What do you mean?”


“It isn’t a gun holster. It’s some kind of brace.”  


Just then Vince came out from the back pushing a wheelchair. Bo was stunned and moved out of the way as Vince rolled the chair up beside his boss and they watched as Todd moved onto the seat.  He raised the pant leg to adjust the brace on his right leg and then grabbed the dead weight of his left leg and settled it into position.  He turned his chair to face the two men.  “If you haven’t figured it out by now, you never will, but let me spell it out for you.  The legs don’t work,” he explained bitterly.  He had been trying to play nice but the humiliation of falling in front of strangers and being searched had been all he could take.  “I’m sorry if it bothers you that I don’t remember your name Mr. Chief Detective but that’s what happens when you lose your memory.  Now I guess I don’t have a choice about this arrest but could you at least give me time to get off this damn plane with whatever dignity I have left.”  He rolled to the door and looked back at Vince.  “What’s the plan this time, Vince?”


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see this story clearing up some unknowns about Todd's time in Guam. Love that Sam's the grey one. Enjoying.

    ReplyDelete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!