WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Diamond in the Rough: Chapter 88

"We're home," Blair said, looking into Todd's eyes and smiling.  

Sister Rebecca Katherine had accompanied them. "I'm going to see that little cherub and see to him for a bit, and possibly catch some winks myself."

"All right, Sister," Blair said, and they watched her climb the stairs.  She said, "We're home, and things are . . . settled."  

"Pretty much," he said.  They both plopped down in the family room, and crossed their arms.  

After a few moments, they looked at each other.  He said, "Now what do we do?"

She laughed.  "Live life, I guess."

He took her hand and held it on his lap.  "It feels, different.  It's going to take me time, Blair.  There's a lot there."

"I know," she said, her heart breaking.  "But at least you understand yourself better.  Don't you?"

"Yeah.  This reminds me of, you know, the times when we had nothing to worry about except The Sun, making our family and our businesses.  Remember?"

"I do remember," she said.  Looking at him, she brushed his hair off his forehead, "how can I forget?"

"One thing left to do."

"What?"

"Tina."

"What about her?"

"She was planning to steal from your aunt, remember?"

"So?"

"So?  She was doing something bad.  Right?  Think we should turn her in, mostly for impersonating a nun?"

Blair chuckled.  "No, you shouldn't do that."

"Why the hell not?"

"Todd, look what she did for the family?  She could have run off.  In fact, she was running off, when she looked back at the house, and you know what she told me?"

"No, what, that your make up was off?"

"Yeah, but not that, she told me she looked back at La Boulaie and she thought of the babies there, and of you, losing your family again, and that we just lost a child, and she went back."

"Are you sure this was Tina you were talking to?"

"Yes, Todd, it was.  Look what she did when she was up there, confronted with Mitch.  She never backed down.  She protected our children, Todd.  And she made friends with our baby.  He took to her so well."

"He'd take to Jason Voorhees, that doesn't say much."

She laughed lightly, "Come on, you don't want to face it, but the dimwit helped save us."

He put his arm around her and pulled her close.  "I guess she did.  I should call her, right?"

Blair said, "Yeah, maybe so."

Todd pulled out his cell phone and dialed.  She was still at the penthouse where he had allowed her to stay the evening of Mitch's home invasion.  "Tina?  Todd."

"Hi Todd, I didn't expect to hear from you.  I suppose you want an explanation."

"I guess not.  You know, I wasn't too happy that you lied to my friends, Sister Rebecca Katherine and Timothy.  They're very close to me, like family.  They're like my surrogate parents, for God's sake."

"I know, I'm sorry about that.  I just wasn't thinking.  I wanted that diamond."

"For what?"

"Money.  My dear David Vickers went missing.  I wanted to build a shelter for animals in her memory."

He rolled his eyes, and covered the phone.  To Blair, he said, "Remember, I asked if it were Tina you were talking to?"

She nodded.

He said, "It's her.  Don't worry."  He went back to the conversation, "I just called to say thank you for helping my family, against Mitch."

She was quiet.  "You're welcome.  I didn't mean to, but it ended up that way.  I guess it was lucky that I was there."

"I guess it was.  I . . . do you want a ride over to Viki's?  I thought you might want to see her."

She went silent.

"Hello?  Are you there?"

She was choked up, "You mean, you're not holding this Bhadra Diamond thing against me?"

"How can I?  Blair said I shouldn't, and besides, Little Ray would be really pissed.  He's got his first crush and it's on you."

She swallowed.  "Thank you, Todd.  And I will take that ride to Llanfair.  Thank you."

He hung up.  "There.  Happy?"

She kissed his cheek.  "Yes.  I am.  That was the right thing to do, Todd."

"I'll send Williams over to get her after he drops Starr and Hope off here."

"It's been a long day.  We've been through a lot this year."

"This year?"  He quipped.

"Okay, the last two years."

"The last two?"

"Okay, our whole lives.  Better?"

"Accurate.  What's next for us?"

"I don't know.  Maybe we'll slip into quiet, back-burned existence and not have any drama for a while."  She said, tipping her head back on the couch.

"No drama?  Us?  We have a teenager with a drinking problem, a little boy who thinks he is a superhero, a boxing nun who's out to save the world, my mother, your mother, Auntie Dorian and Timothy, Starr and her music . . .what else do we need?"

"We also have little Peachy here on the way."

"Yes," he said, leaning over toward her stomach, "Peachy, I didn't forget you."

"Jack's going to have a hard time, Todd.  Jenna's mother let Mitch free.  And Jenna is going to be so hurt.  Do you think she already knows?"

"Yeah, probably."  They sat in silence a minute, before they heard the copter.  "Here come the boys,"  Todd said.  

"Yeah, they're home.  Todd?"

"Yeah," he said, seeing her hand already placed protectively over her stomach.

"I'm so happy."

"Happy.  Good."

"Are you happy, Todd?"

"I think we've had this conversation before.  I don't know, I just know I have everything I need.  Right here . . ." he waited to hear the boys' footsteps on the heliport staircase, "in this house."

"You're happy, Todd."

"Yeah, I guess I am."

***

"We have to go now, Dorie, and see them.  They almost got killed, my beautiful girl, and Todd, and the kids."  Addie said.

"We're going, Addie, Dear.  I am driving as fast as I can."

"I can't wait to see them.  I want to give all of the grandchildren a big hug."

"I want to get that husband of my niece's to press charges on that witch Tina.  She has less brain cells than a crab."

"Dorie, maybe you should wait and listen to what happened?  Timothy said . . "

"Nevermind what Timothy said.  She tried to break in my house and steal my jewelry."

"Dorie, you don't use that diamond necklace anyway."

"No excuse."

They got quiet for a moment.  "I am so glad Todd was there to protect them."

"On that point, we actually agree this time."

"You need to stop, and give the guy a break, Dorie."

"Let me be the judge of that."

***

"Hi, boys, and Timothy!  Good to see you."  Blair said, as Sam and Jack made their way into the kitchen and then the family room with their grandfather in tow.

"I came to announce something, Mannings."

"It must have been important for you to brave the copter."  Todd said.

"It was.  Everyone sit down, please."

Just then, Starr arrived, and with Hope in tow, she greeted everyone and took her place in the family room, closest by the fire to warm her hands.

Timothy waited until everyone was settled into a spot.  He said, "I filed papers today, to adopt Todd Manning as my son."

Blair let out a small squeal.  "You knew about this, Todd?"  He just smiled.

He continued, "It was his idea.  This way, you boys and Ray and the new babe and Starr can call me Grandpa and it will be a reality."

"Yay!  I got dock-ded again.  Well, kinda."  Sam said.

"Todd, this is . . . it's beautiful.  I love it."  Blair said.  Starr got up and hugged Timothy around the neck.

"I might as well get myself a Dad."  Todd said.

"Creena knows, which makes her y'ar aunt.  She was pleased."

"Yeah, 'cuz we already have two grandmas."  Sam added.

"Right," Blair said.

"And we have a couple of aunts,"  Jack said.

"Yep, that we do," Todd said, and leaning to Blair, he whispered, "one or two too many."

"Stop," she whispered, lightly slapping his arm.  "Our family is growing," she said.

"So, this means I am y'ar legal grandfather now.  Are ya all right with that, boys?"

"Sure," Jack said.  "Not that it would have mattered if you weren't."

"Ya seem a little out of sorts, Son.  What's going on?"  Timothy said to Jack.

"It's Jenna.  You all know why."

"I don't!"  Sam said.  "Why, Jack?"

"Sam, come on, you and I have to go in the kitchen and make some snacks," Todd said, lifting his son.

"But, Dad, that's what people always say when I have to leave the room . . ." his voice trailed off as they disappeared around the corner.

"How is Jenna, Jack?"  Blair said.

"I don't know much.  I got a couple of texts from her.  I can tell she feels bad because . . . well, her Mom is the reason Mitch almost killed us.  I mean, she thinks.  I don't know how she's doing because she's out of school right now.  Her Mom is still missing."

"Your father will take you to see her, if you want."  Blair said.

"I know, I just . . . have to be sure she wants to see people.  You know."

"It's not anything she could control.  But this is about her mother, and that will be a deep wound."  Timothy added.

The room when quiet, as the doorbell rang.  As Blair stood to answer it, Sister Rebecca Katherine made her way down the stairs with Ray in her arms.  He was chortling and shaking his rattle at everyone.  "Da da!"

"Hey, Little Guy."  Todd came around the corner, eating more of the snacks than he was putting on the tray.  "How was your nap?  Hey, Sister."

He took Ray into his arms and said, "Hey, this guy's up.  Anyone want to hold him, so I can finish the snacks?"

"I will," Addie said, stepping into the foyer and putting out her arms.

Todd said, "It's Grandma Addie."  He handed the baby to her, and kissed her cheek.  Turning to the side, he said, "Hi, Auntie Dorian."

"Todd," she said.

Blair walked into the foyer, "Come in, and have a seat.  We were just talking."

"Blair, we had to come right away after hearing about the incident with Mitch,"  Dorian said.

Timothy stood, "Dorie, Addie."

"Timothy," Dorian said.

"Well, everyone's here."  Blair said, and the room was filled with family.  "I never thought I'd see the day we were all together like this for something other than a holiday."

Todd sat next to Blair, and she was glued to his side.  There was little space between them, but Sam managed to try to be in it.  Dorian said, "I came to, talk to you, Todd.  And I want everyone to hear me."

He shrugged, "Sure."

"I . . . may have been too harsh concerning you over the time you've been back.  Everyone has suggested more than once that you've changed."

"I guess so.  That's what they tell me."

"Personally, it remains to be seen.  But, what you did the other night, according to Jack and Starr, risking your life again, offering, over and over to give your life for your wife and children, I never imagined you had it in you."

"He's done it before, Dorian, we also told you that."  Blair said.

"Yes, but, honestly, I was being pigheaded.  Starr, bless her heart, conveyed everything that happened during the home invasion at La Boulaie.  You," her voice caught, "You offered to trade everything you have for your baby, and for Blair.  Everything you had, including your life.  And I suppose I owe you a debt of gratitude for that."

"Shit,"  Jack said, under his breath.  "She's losing it."

"Shh," Todd said, "That's disrespectful, Son."

Dorian continued, "Anyway, I thought it was important that I came to say my peace.  I appreciate you defending my family, and risking your life for them, Todd.  I am grateful that you are in their lives."

Blair was covering her mouth and nose as if praying, and her eyes were watering.  "Dorian," she said through tears, "Thank you."

Todd said, "It was easy.  I couldn't make it without them.  They're worth more than anything else I have, including all the money.  Everything," he said, putting his hand on the Sam's head, and looking into his little face.  

Blair caught Dorian tearing up, watching.

Todd continued, "After everything I've learned, I don't know, somehow, it's just like a huge question has been answered.  It was tough, I won't say it wasn't, and I know it's not over.  Blair," he said, grasping her hand, "If she weren't there . . ."

"Todd was very strong," Blair said, looking into his eyes.

He cleared his throat.  "I learned everything about what my father was.  I guess I needed to know.  Maybe it set me free, to finally find out who I am now, me, not him and not what he left in me.  I guess time will tell."

Timothy said, "It just may have.  The thing is, ya came out of this stronger.  Ya might not even know it yet."

"We know it," Blair said.  "We do."

"Lucky break," Todd said, smiling at her.  He moved her hair back with his hand.

"What about Tina?" Dorian said, "I want charges pressed against her."

Todd looked at Dorian, and said, "Listen, Auntie Dorian, that dingbat sister of mine helped save my son.  I'm not about to look that in the mouth.  You have to let go.  If I can, you can."

"I suppose," she said, and looked at Timothy.  He smiled, and winked at her.  She crossed her legs, and leaned slightly forward.

"Well a couple of things.  No more secrets in the family, so you all should know I own and fund the Second Chance Mission,"  Todd said.  "And, I am opening an art gallery called The Diamond Gallery for my mother's work and Jenna's.  Jenna's getting a full ride to any college she wants.  She doesn't deserve what's happened, and it's not her fault what her mother got involved in.  That family's paid the price."

Jack looked at his father, and for some reason, he saw him entirely different.  Not only was he a total badass, he was a real life hero.  He was helping people.  Just because.  "Dad?"

"It's okay Jack, it's just the way I roll."

"Diamond Gallery?"  Addie asked.

"Yeah," Todd said, "for a couple of reasons."  He directed his gaze at the nun, who smiled.

Jack laughed, to himself, and his eyes reddened and watered.  "Thanks."

"Dad, you're not really Spiderman."  Sam said.

"No, Sam, I'm just a guy."

"Yeah, you're a real guy, not a fake one."

"Right, I'm a real guy."

"But, you're my Dad."

"Yeah, I am."

"I love you."

"I love you, Sam."

Realizing there was not a dry eye in the house, Sister Rebecca Katherine said, "Well, there are snacks all around here, and lots of treats.  Next week is Hope Week, I know ya all want to attend.  Bitsy will be showing her art there."

"And, for those who don't know, Todd and I are going to be parents again."  Blair said.

The general commotion ensued with a few hugs and kisses here and there.  Todd looked at Blair and said, "I know I don't deserve it, but I'm glad it's here," he said.

"Let's not think that way,"  Dorian said, surprisingly.  "You do deserve it, Todd.  You deserve something good.  Just be sure to make beautiful things out of what you're given."

"I plan on it," he said.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

2 comments:

  1. Just beautiful. Thank you for Dorian speech.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Dorian, always have. Her antics are never over, but her attitude was warranted in this one! Thanks or reading!

    ReplyDelete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!