WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Failings of the Fathers: 60

The next morning, Tina, Timothy and Sister Rebecca Katherine went to breakfast together.  It was early, and they went in, grabbed their trays and began talking about The Mannings.

"Is there any word?"  Tina asked.  She had just found out from Timothy and was worried about her nieces and nephews.


"Nothing new.  Todd's just landing in Llanview about now.  With all that's going on, I suspect we won't hear for a while."  Timothy said.


"When I think of that little boy, alone with some strange man . . ."  Tina said.


"Which brings me to the next thing.  Malcolm."  Timothy began.


"I don't know, but it just seems so wrong about him.  I mean, he just didn't seem the type, in the least."  Tina said.  "Poilte, refined.  Just seems wrong." 


"He was so grateful to Todd," the nun added.  "It doesn't seem like it would happen, but then again, just how much do we know the man, eh?"


"Is there any way it could be someone else?"  Tina asked.


There was silence.  The nun admitted to herself that she hadn't thought of it.  Timothy, however, was a different story.  "No telling," was all he said.


The nun caught his tone, and decided to wait until Tina went back to Aiden to ask him about it.  "I am sick over this.  Starr, Poor Dear, beaten almost to her demise, and that Little Ray, he's so precious and full of energy."


"Sam was found," Timothy said.  "Jack knew where to find him.  He's in shock, not able to speak."


Tina's eyes brimmed.  "My God, I love Sam, and I adore Little Ray.  He and I are bonded.  From the Mitch thing."


"I remember," Timothy said.


"This can't be happening," she said, putting her spoon down.  "My brother, he's . . . been so much in turmoil.  He and I were never really close, but, there's something . . . " her voice trailed off.


"Tina, it will be all right.  They will find Ray if he does not run his captor ragged first."  Sister Rebecca Katherine said.


"Hmf.  That's true."


"The family is going to need a great deal of support.  Sam will need counseling, and Jack, who's taking the blame, Todd, who is going to feel responsible, and Starr who may need medical attention for a while.  It's such a shame and so sad, really," the nun added.


"What can we do?"


"Only pray," the clergywoman said.


***


Jack was slumped against the chairs in the waiting room, dozing.  Jenna, who was watching Jewel, now noticed her starting to stir.  The teenage girl could not sleep; what had happened to Jack's family was too disturbing and too real.  She shook Blair, gently.  "Mrs. Manning?  I think Jewel needs to be fed."


"Jenna, my goodness, I just realized it's almost three in the morning.  Someone should come and get you, and take you home.  Or we can call a taxi, or our driver. It's very late."


"Lynnie knows.  She understands."


"But you need your rest as well."


"Mrs. Manning, please.  I think . . . with all due respect, I think Jack needs me."


She had to give the girl credit.  Standing by her man, at a young age.  Blair said, "As long as it's okay with your sister."


"It's fine, I promise you," she said handing the baby off to her mother.


Blair got up to take the baby into the bathroom with her for privacy.  She said, "Thanks," and went on her way.


Dorian was also awake.  Like Jenna, she couldn't find a way to sleep.  She said, "You're quite the young lady."  Having worked with Jenna at the gallery, Dorian was quite familiar with the pleasant, mature girl.  


"Thank you."


Jack jerked to sitting, and looked around him.  "Tell me this is a dream."


"It's not," Jenna said, taking his hand.


"Ray's gone, for real?"


"Ray's gone.  Starr's in there, and Sam."


"My father will be here soon.  He'll know what to do."


Dorian didn't say anything, she just got up and walked away.  She wanted to peek in on both Starr and Sam.


Jenna said, "Jack, you know this is not your fault."


"I don't want to talk about that.  Of course it's my fault.  If I was there, he would have had Starr and me to deal with.  Or I could have gone with him, instead."


"That's beautiful, that you want to support your siblings that way, but . . ."


"I was selfish and stupid.  If I were there . . . I don't want to think about it.  Please, Jenna, I can't talk about that."  His eyes were full of watery fire, and his cheeks were flushed.


"All right, we won't, not now.  But I know we will have to talk about it sometime."


"I just . . . I just want my family back.  I just want us to be happy.  I'm so. . . scared."


She sat next to him and put her head on his shoulder.  "What are you scared about?"


"Can't you tell?"


"Tell me.  It's good to say it out loud."


"I'm scared the man could hurt my little brother.  He's innocent. He never did anything to anyone.  And my sister, that she could not recover, or that she was raped, or something."


"Those make sense to be scared of."  She herself had thought of all of them.


"And Sam.  Like what if he can't get over what happened?  He never talks again or something."


"I know, I understand.  But time and love fix a lot of things.  Sam will talk.  He wants to.  He just can't, that's what your mother said."


"You know, I just wish my father was here," he said, and his voice caught.  


She touched his face and said, "He'll be here.  On his way.  You know that."


Blair walked back from the ladies' room, with Jewel in her basket, and for a moment, looked at her sleeping daughter and realized that Bitsy had known everything about Jewel's birth, as well as her size.  The basket was perfect for her, and had actually turned out to be a protective camouflage for her when needed; the kidnapper never noticed the little baby, and this saved her from being taken along with Ray.


Blair pushed the image of her little boy from her mind, but it kept seeping back:  the little smile; the long, mousey-brown curls that touched his shoulder; his running around and ignoring directions; the way he looked like Todd.  The lump in her throat became stronger, and she couldn't fight it anymore.  She wanted her baby boy, and she longed for his little face to be in front of hers and to kiss his chubby cheek.  Overtaken by her feelings, she began to cry, in fact, she started to sob, as if the damn had finally broken.  


She stepped over to a small section of chairs in an empty area of the emergency room to rest the basket on, and poured her sadness out through her tears.  The pain in her chest and her throat was physical.  It was more than emotion and more than sadness.  It was as if a part of her was ripped from her, and she recognized the feeling from her loss of her other babies, Brendan, Sommer and her first child with Todd so many years ago.  It felt the same, and she despaired, wanting to lie down and stop living.  


She leaned on a railing, and lost her composure, sliding to the floor and leaning against the wall, her sobs devastating the facade she had put on since she'd discovered what had happened at Unforgettable in her absence.  Her cries were audible but soft, and longing, and she put her face into her hand and let all of it go.  


He walked over to her, his face covered with pain and knowing, and slid down the wall next to her, until he was sitting alongside her.  She uncovered her face and saw him, and somehow it made the outpouring even stronger.  She wasn't prepared for strong, muscular arms to wrap around her and pull her close into safety.  She wasn't even sure he was real, until she heard, "Babe, it's okay, I'm here, now.  Come on," and he pulled her across him, holding her to his broad, warm chest.  


"Todd," she said through her wails.  


He'd arrived, and he was with them.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

2 comments:

  1. THIS CHAPTER WAS WRITTEN WITH LOTS OF FEELINGS & UNDERSTAND OF THE AGONY THEY FELT. COULD NOT HAVE BEEN ANY BETTER ENDING OF THE CHAPTER THAN IT WAS-PERFECT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much for the comments! Means a lot to read them and know my writing is working for you.

    ReplyDelete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!