WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Failings of the Fathers: 66

"I have to talk to ya," Timothy said, getting John McBain on the phone.

"About the kidnapping?"  John asked.

"No, it's something else.  We know who it was who took Little Ray and hurt Sam and Starr."  Timothy explained to John the events and coincidences that lead to Sister Rebecca Katherine's idea of asking Ray to fax the photo. 


John said, "Wait, Peter Manning is living?"


"Yes, that is what we've determined.  He's taken the place of someone else, and faked his identity.  He was . . . actually living with Blair and the children, on their property, for at least a couple of days."


John didn't like the sound of any of it.  "Oh great, Manning's abusive father, alive."


"Yes, and he has their son."


John said, "I was over at the hospital earlier.  Dorian called me, she's on a rampage of some kind again about Todd.  She mentioned the kidnapping, that it was his fault."


"Dorie did that?"  Dorie, not again.


"Yeah, and I got what I could out of the girl, Jack's friend, Jack, and Dorian, and a very groggy Sam, and then came back here to do a little detective work."


"I was going to ask ya to call Todd and tell him to stay out of this."


"I'm ready to dial, seriously.  Ready to do that anytime."


"I think it must be done.  He's . . . going to naturally want revenge for everything, not just the beating of Starr and the taking of Ray."


"No.  His own abuse at Peter's hands, as well as his mother's."


John hadn't remembered about Todd's mother, somehow, until just then, when he said it.  The whole thing was making him very concerned.  He said, "Thanks for the call and heads up.  Fax me over that photo, will you?  I'll check it with Jack as soon as I can."


He hung up, thinking of everything he knew about the case.  He'd been there, in Greece, when Todd first remembered his mother's attack and beatings, and had marveled then how the man went on.  He told himself in no uncertain terms that Todd was going to kill Peter Manning if he didn't stop him.


***


"You're finally here, it took long enough," Peter said.


She looked past him to the little bundle on the couch.  "He's asleep?  That's a start."


"He was quiet the whole way.  Probably a good kid, unlike his father.  Probably has some discipline."


"What's next?  A note or something to ask for the fortune?"  That was all she could see.


"Maybe."


"Maybe?"


"Yeah, that's what I said, maybe.  Now, back off."


She did.  And this was what had kept the two of them together, since the nineties and before.  Her relentless way of being able to accept whatever he said and just do what he asked.  She knew the outcome and the rewards would always be more than enough to overlook his "sensibilities," as she called them.  He'd never raised a hand to her; perhaps because of her accepting way with him.  Either way, she'd never believe Todd Manning's despicable accusations of her Peter.  He did lose his temper at times, but it was easily quelled with a simple agreement to whatever he said.


He had gotten up and went to the kitchen, and took a beer from the fridge.  "You didn't get the kind I asked."  He called this to her from the other room.  


She sat, looking to the baby.  He was precious; sleeping silently, and his long curls were over part of his face.  She gently brushed the curls back, and answered.  "I'm sorry.  I told you that they don't carry that kind much anymore.  I did try and find it.  Forgive me?"


He didn't answer.  He took several swigs.  "Yeah, whatever," he said.


"He's sweet."


"Boys aren't sweet, or shouldn't be," he said.


"Well, anyhow, what are we going to do next?  You don't want to send a ransom note, then what happens after this?  Peter, we have your grandson . . ."


"He's not my grandson.  He's Todd's son.  Todd's not my kid."


"All right, then we have Todd's son.  What is it you think comes next?"


He sipped his beer again, and she waited.  Her heart leaped in her chest when he said, "Whatever hurts him the most."


***


Todd answered his phone.  "Yeah?"


"It's me, your old friend, McBain."


Todd rolled his eyes, and made a face toward Blair that let her know he wasn't all-too pleased.  He said, "John.  I'm . . . a little busy right now. . . "


"I imagine you are," he said in return.  "I, called for that very reason.  Don't do this."


Todd stopped and said, "Do what?"


"Do what you're doing."


"What do you mean?"


"Are you at the airport?"


"Maybe."


"Exactly.  Don't do this, vengeance is not going to help you keep your family."


He said, "Uh, you know, you're right."


John said, "What?"


"I said you're right.  Blair and I were just talking about that.  It's a police matter.  My mother's with us, she thinks she knows where he is hiding out.  There's a compound, where Mitch used to have his church.  However, we don't know where it is, exactly."


Blair put her hands on her hips and rolled her eyes.


John said, "Let me talk to Blair."


Todd moved the phone away from his head and said, "Fine," into the air.


Blair said, "Yes, John?"


"Blair, I'm going to get your son back, you just have to make sure that Todd steers clear of this."


"Okay."


"That sounds too simple."


"Do you think I want to lose Todd?  I don't want him taking any chances.  It seems Peter might have gone to this place Mitch had, or even to the cabin they used in New York to disguise the truth about Bitsy.  The cabin is . . . well, public record has info on the location from back when Todd was there with Rebecca.  As for the compound, which makes sense, Mitch is the only one who would know that.  Peter would go somewhere he thinks he can't be found, right?"


"I suppose.  I'm on it.  And I want you, Todd and Bitsy home, at Unforgettable, or back at the hospital."


"Well, we've found Todd now, that's what we came here to do.  It took both of us to talk him out of it."  She met Todd's eyes with hers, and he couldn't stifle a smile.  Us against the world, again.  She finished, "I'll be in touch."  She hung up.  "Well, that was not easy.  I didn't love lying to him.  Besides, something can happen to us, Todd, maybe he's right?"


"No.  No one is going to get our kid but us.  We need to do this, Blair, so does Momma."


She searched her husband's eyes, and remembering all the nights he woke in terrors and sweats about his childhood, she said, "Then I'm in.  Let's go."


They headed to the boarding area that lead to Todd's private jet.  He had taken her hand and his mother's again, and had one of them on either side.  He said, "Did I tell you I named the jet?"


"No," she half-laughed.  "You didn't."


"Well, I'll tell you later."  She gave him the side eye, and he slid his arm around her waist and pulled her a little closer.  Then he said, as they walked. "We'll get our son back, Blair.  We'll bring him home safe and sound, and there's nothing that will stop us."


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

2 comments:

  1. I AM REALLING ENJOYING THESE CHAPTERS. I DID NOT READ FROM THE START BUT BACKED UP SOME & NOW ENJOY THEM. PLEASE CONTINUE TO WRITE. THANK YOU

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello and thanks! I appreciate your words and I am so glad you like the stories.

    Just a suggestion: when you finish this book, go back to the start, and begin with the first, "The Way Back." That way, you can see everything they have gone through to get to where they are in this book and who some of the new characters are.

    ReplyDelete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!