WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Chasing the Monsters: 19

"Blair, it's good to see you," Cord said, entering the foyer and seeing her standing behind Tina, with her arm through Todd's.

"Roberts," Todd said, extending a hand.


"Todd," he said, shaking it.  "I've heard a lot of things, but none of them match some of the stories of your life.  I just wanted to say, right off the bat, that I don't envy you, and that you're brave."


Blair felt a lump in her throat, and saw her husband's working.  He said, "Thank you.  I made it.  I'm still here."


"Yes, you are, and so are all of us.  Imagine this?  All these years later?"  Tina said, going to Cord's side.  


He gave her a knowing look, and said, "Okay, Girl, what are you up to?"


"She's not up to anything," Blair said, "We wanted to see you, didn't we, Todd?"


"Sure, yeah.  I . . . well, things have changed over the years, I guess. Tina's not so bad."


Blair elbowed him. "He means that they have gotten closer.  She's been through a lot, too and she's been a rock for our kids."


"Madame," Nigel interrupted, "dinner is almost ready."


"Thank you, Nigel.  Well, should we all head into the dining room?"  Tina said.


Everyone, for some reason, looked to Todd.  "Yeah, why the Hell not?  I don't turn down meals often," and Blair laughed nervously.  The four of them headed into the other room.


Viki, who had been in the library, listening, said aloud, "Tina, what exactly do you think you're going to achieve?"


***


"Jack, is it hard to babysit all us kids?"  Sam asked.


"Kinda.  But when Shaun's here, it's easier."


"Like today?"


"Yep, like today."


"Because Jewel and Ray are just babies, right?"


"Right."


"Jack?"


"Yeah, Squirt?"


"I . . . showed Dad everything."


Jack frowned a little.  "What do you mean?"


"I showed him everything.  Where I was hiding, where Starr was.  Where Mixie died.  I showed him.  From the balcony."


"You mean the other day, when you were standing up there?"


"Yeah."  
He thought about it.  "I'm scared every day."

"You don't have to be scared anymore.  Peter's gone."


"I'm scared thinking what if he wasn't?  And other stuff scares me.  What if he's not dead?"


"But he is."


"But what if he wasn't?"


"If he wasn't, Dad would protect us.  He'd make sure we were all right.  Why are you thinking about all this?"


"I always do, I just don't say anything.  Mom said I should talk about it when I am scared, so I am talking about it, I guess."


"You're scared because they're not with us, and we're alone?"


Sam nodded. 


Jack continued, "Okay, let's go get Shaun then.  You, me, Ray and Jewel will go and get Shaun.  Or, you could call him or text him.  Which one?"


"It's too hard to get those two to listen.  I'll call him, okay?"


"Sure.  Go ahead."


Jack watched as the little boy called Shaun on his cell phone, told him to come to the house and thanked him, politely.  "Okay, he's coming."


"See?  That was easy."


"Why does he have a cane?"


"He got hurt, he's still recovering.  He has some nerve damage in his foot."


"From the needle that Grandpa Peter put there."


"Peter.  Sam, Peter's not your grandfather.  Timothy is.  Right?"


"I guess."


What the heck is wrong with that kid?  Jack made a mental note to mention it to his parents, and headed down the hallway toward his younger siblings' room, as Sam went downstairs to meet Shaun.


***


"So, I guess I should offer you condolences for your loss.  You lost a brother, right?"  Cord said, taking a forkful of food after he spoke.


"Yeah, my brother Aiden.  I didn't know him long.  His father adopted me.  As an adult."


"Wow, just more twists and turns as we go," Cord said, swallowing.  "Adopted you?"  He cut his food and listened to Todd.


"Yeah, he did.  Let's face it, I could use a father figure, maybe always have.  Anyway, it was before we knew that Aiden was alive."


"I see.  So much has happened to you, Todd.  And you, Blair.  I'm sorry about the baby you lost."


"Thank you," she said, looking down, and Todd covered her hand with his.  


Cord's chewing slowed as he watched them, completely engrossed in each other, even for a fleeting moment, here and there.  He said, "Sore subject, I'm sorry."


"No, we're fine," Blair said, "we have two new children you don't know about, I believe.  That sounded so weird, like they're purchases or something.  One is Raymond, he's three, and the newest is Jewel, she's just over a year.  She's a miracle baby, after the shooting, and all."


"That's beautiful.  You guys are blessed,"  Cord said.


"Which brings me to the next thing," Todd said, looking at his sister.  "Ray was saved from death by Tina here."


Tina beamed at her brother, and Blair thought for a moment that she saw him wink.  Tina said, "Oh, Todd, it was the only thing I could do.  Ray is so sweet."


"A toddler, huh?" Cord asked with a knowing look at the parents.


"Yes, his nickname at home is 'The Road Runner.'" Todd said, and Cord lightly laughed.


"Was he the child that . . .well that . . ." Cord said, and then thought better of it, not finishing his sentence.


"Was kidnapped by Peter?  Yes.  Ray was taken.  Sam hid, and Jewel was so tiny, she was in her basket, and he never saw her."  Blair said.


"That was lucky," Cord said.


"Well, I was wishing Tina had been around for that one," Blair said, and then twisted her face when she realized how badly it sounded.  "I mean, she did wonders when we were held at La Boulaei by Mitch."


"Laurence.  He's not all there," Cord said, seriously.


"Tina saved our baby's life, and ours, too," Blair said.  "I mean, her motives may not have been stellar at first, but . . ."


"Ahem," Tina cleared her throat.


Blair made an oops face, biting her lip, and Todd said, "So, what do you do, now out there at the ranch?"


"It might seem a bit strange but I got into security work.  I know, I didn't think it fit me, either, but that's what happened."


"Security?"  Todd repeated.


"Yep.  Mostly for families.  Like body guards, home security systems, fencing, you name it."


"I'm surprised.  I thought you were into big business."


"I do that, too, this security thing is on the side.  There was a need for it at the BE headquarters out there, after a break in, so I looked into it.  A friend of mine was going under.  I bailed the company out, and got into it more."


"I'd really appreciate a favor then," Todd said, looking at Blair.  "Coincidence, Blair, isn't it?"


"What do you mean?" she said.


"Well, Cord, it would really make us rest assured if you would stick around and help with the kids.  My head of security was injured during the attack months back, and still hasn't recovered.  I feel like he could use a break, so I may just send him on vacation, and now something has come up for Blair and I.  We were going to leave the kids here, with Tina and Viki, and could really use your help.  Can you stay?  I'll make it worth your while.  We don't want to leave them home alone, because Sam is really struggling with nightmares, and it's too similar to what happened at home, and La Boulaei, well, there's the home invasion and worst of all, Dorian."


"Oh, well, I reckon that explains that," Cord said, smiling.


"Little Sam is really having a hard time."  Blair added, following Todd's lead.


"I really had to get home, honestly.  Back to the ranch,"  Cord explained.


"Well, it's only a few days, more, can you see your way through to doing this?  We trust you, and it would be so much easier than trusting strangers,"  Blair said.


Tina, miraculously, said nothing.  Her eyes followed each of the speakers back and forth with grand interest in them.


"Well, I . . ." he stopped, catching Blair's expression.  He glanced down, and saw Todd and Blair's hands intertwined, on the table, and glimpsed Todd's wrist scars.  He looked back up and said, "I guess a few days more won't hurt."


"Thank you, Cord," Blair said, with her best, more sincere whispering tone, and Todd squeezed her hand in admonishment.


"Don't mention it.  Well, we'll discuss the details over coffee," Tina said, "which I'll go and hurry along."


"I'll help you, Girl," Cord said, getting up.


After they left, Todd mocked, "I'll help you, Girl," in his best western accent.


"Todd?  Stop!"  Blair whispered.  "What's the matter with you?  You just about crushed my fingers."


"I didn't mean to, but I couldn't stand you batting your eyes at that guy another minute.  I mean, where's his ten-gallon white hat?"


She stopped, and smoothed the hand that was holding hers with her thumb.  "Todd, you're jealous."


"Me?  No."


"Yes, you.  You are.  And you should know by now, Mr. Manning, that there's no one who can ever take your place in my life."


He looked at her, still recovering from his anger.  He said, "I don't like the way he looks at you."


"Oh, stop, he's got a 30 year-old girlfriend."


"First, I haven't even seen her, and I know you're sexier, and second, my sister's flipped her lid.  He's taken?"


"Well . . ."


He looked around, as if for help.  "You both are out of your heads.  He's already involved. He lives across the country.  He's a rancher."


"And she's Tina."


He stopped, and paused.  "And she's Tina,"  he nodded.


"Now, stop this mess, you know you're the only man for me," she said, reaching under the table and lightly grazing the inside of his thigh with her hand.  Her fingertips brushed against him, and a shiver went through him that she could see and feel.


"Whoa, what are you trying to do, there, clear the dinner table the quick way?"  he said.


"No, I just want you to remember what you're getting tonight."


"Tonight?  That's a long way off."


"Then you'll be really appreciative of it when it happens."


His face took on a totally different appearance, and she knew she might have gone a little too far.  He wanted her, and right then, and she saw it, in his eyes and the way his hand tightened slightly around hers.  And more of a problem was that she wanted him, and her nipples were standing up at such attention, she was sure the whole world would see them poking against her bra and blouse.  


Their eyes locked, and they moved toward each other, and before their lips actually met, he said, "The Limo."


She said, "Right," and grabbed her purse.  


As they got to the door of Llanfair, Tina and Cord appeared behind them, with the coffee tray and some desserts.  Todd said, "Uh, we have to be going, the kids are expecting us for a family day.  Thanks, Cord, draw up the papers, whatever it costs, and send it over.  I'll sign.  The kids will be here tomorrow morning."


"Thanks Tina, for being a lovely hostess."  Blair said.


Tina said, "You're going?"  She looked as if the world had collapsed.


Todd said, "Well, our kids come first, you know that, having saved them, and all."


"Yes, well, I do, sure. Okay. Thanks for coming," Tina said.


"Thanks for the grub, Sis," Todd said, and they headed out.  


Cord and Tina stood in the lobby with the trays, and looked at each other.  "They're just the same, aren't they?" she said.  "They always were on top of the world together."


"They're not the only ones," Cord said, and he looked at her for a moment, and warmly smiled.


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!