WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Chasing the Monsters: 36

"Okay," she said, "Ray's downstairs with your Mother, and she's packed.  She has to go back, Todd.  It's Monday morning."

He ignored her for a minute, and then stopped typing and sighed.  "Yeah, I know."


"Do you want me to bring her back?  Perzno can copter us, or Williams can drive?"


"I don't know."


She wanted to relieve him, and make things easier.  She said, "I think I'd like to, if it is okay with you.  I'll get Tina over here to babysit.  That way you can work without Road Runner bugging you."


He looked at her.  "You're so good to me."


"Don't say you don't deserve it," she said, putting her fingers to his lips.


"I won't say it," he said, under his breath, as she turned and walked out.


***


The familiar buzzing rang in his ears, and he waited until the bars slid closed, and two guards, flanking Laurence, lead the way.  He stood, at the end of the passageway, eyes focused on the man in question.  "Ah, Lieutenant McBain," Mitch began.


"Laurence."


"This is highly unprecedented."


"Maybe."


"To what do I owe this?"


The guards were signaled by John to step back and away.  It was just he and Mitch, in the middle of the penitentiary hallway that lead to the infirmary.  John said, "You wrote me several notes.  I've come to see what in the Hell you wanted.  In person."


"You know exactly what I want."


"And I can't give it to you.  Her doctor says it's not good for her."


Mitch frowned.


"And if you ever cared, you'd try and understand she's not ready for this."


"If I ever cared?  You don't know me, or what I feel or felt."


"Possibly.  I only know you as a disgusting excuse for a human being, but I digress."

Mitch's eyes became slits.  "Watch it," he uttered in a growl.

"All I came to tell you is that you can't see her until she's in care of herself, fully, and even then, who knows what she'll want to do about it."


"Where is she?"  his voice was considerably softer.


"In a hospital.  Under treatment."


He looked off, and for a moment, was very far away.  "Peter Manning . . . did this to her.  It's because of that, isn't it?"


John was reluctant.  "Yes.  The fallout from it."


"And she can't talk."  John didn't give any response before Mitch continued, "he beat her that badly."


"I suppose so, yeah."


"Is she . . . better?"


"Yes, she's better.  She's getting there."


"Why don't you let her make her own choice, about seeing me?  Does she remember?"


"She remembers.  Everything."  John saw Mitch swallow at hearing that.  "When she's well, she'll have her own decision to make.  But right now, she's not ready.  And I'm wondering if you care enough about her to accept that."


John knew he had won, at least this round.  Mitch looked to the floor, and then said, "Yeah, I can accept that."  Then, looking up, into John's face with a cold stare, "For now."


"Okay then," the cop said.  "Guards!" and the two men came forward, taking Mitch under the arms and leading him back through the hallway toward where he came.


John walked to the end of the hall on his end, and pushed the buzzer, releasing the door.  He stepping into the next corridor and pulled out his cell phone.  He left a message:  "Blair, I have to talk to you.  I'm stopping by in an hour or so, if you won't be there, call me back."


***


"Blair?  Dad and Jack Ribsky are both coming into Llanview to meet with me.  Dad just called.  Either the info I gave was really important, or he has something to tell me."  She had just gotten back from taking Bitsy back to Mountainview, when  he met her on the helipad with open arms.


"Probably both," she said.  "When will they be here?"


"An hour or two.  I'm going to copter into town and work a bit at The Sun, and then meet up with them at Rodi's for a beer."


"Sounds good.  Maybe the three of you can put your heads together and come up with something to help break this case."


"Yep."


"All right, be careful, Todd," she said, reaching up and kissing him on the cheek.


"I'll be careful."  He made his way to the helipad, and climbed in.  She could see him, in the cockpit, putting on his safety belt and earphones, and she smiled to herself, and sighed.  Picking up her cell phone, she glanced down at her home screen.  It was still, as it had been for some time, her favorite photograph of them at their wedding in 1995, him, with his long hair and goatee, and she in her grandmother's wedding gown.  She could almost see the slight bump in her middle that was Starr.  She ran her thumb over it and noticed the flashing message light.  "Ah, a message," she said aloud.  Picking the phone up to her ear, she heard John's unmistakable voice, slightly marred by the copter's lift off.  "Wonder what he wants," she said, polishing the screen on her top and placing the phone back in her pocket.  


She went into the house, and checked her napping children before John would get there.


A while later, she heard the doorbell, and made her way down the staircase to the foyer.  She said, "John, come in," she said, holding the door open.


"Hi, Blair."


"What's up, you sounded like, I don't know. . ."


"Is Todd home?"


"No, he just left, he has a meeting.  What can I do for you?"


"I need to talk to you about something."


"Okay, John, I know that, just say it, what's up?"


"I'm here to . . . I have information you should know."


"All right," she said, folding her arms over her chest.  She was impatient and not worried as to whether or not he could see it.


He knew her.  From the short time they were married, he could still tell her feelings from her body language.  So he turned and said, "It's about Todd's mother."


"What about her, John?"  Blair felt concern rise in her chest, and she sat down in the family room and he followed.


"I . . . know she's headed for release soon.  She'll be making her own decisions."


"What's this about?  You usually don't pull punches."


He sighed.  "Seems I made a little deal with the devil last year to help find your son."


"We found our son, John.  Todd and I."


"I know, but I also tried.  The only thing I could think of at the time.  And, it actually worked in its own way."


"Well, if you weren't there when the authorities arrived from Chicago, things might be different for Bitsy now.  Todd's grateful; so am I."  She paused.  "Which devil, John?"


"Laurence."


She reacted the way he thought she would.  "What?  What did you promise him?"


"I guess after all these years, I trusted you, Blair.  I thought you were being honest when you backed up Todd's answer about the compound, I had to find it.  Mitch knew, instantly, that it wasn't the compound Peter would seek out."


"Well, I'm sorry I lied.  But he's my husband.  We're together, and we're like one person.  We both see things, well, a little differently than most people."


"I understand, but I wasn't thrilled.  Anyway, I promised Laurence that if he gave me info that lead to finding Ray, I would . . . bring Bitsy to him."


She was silent at first.  "Why would you do that?"


"I wanted to find your son.  You'd lost enough children and Peter was a madman.  Call it a momentary lapse in judgement, call it what you want.  Anyway, Bo is upset with me for promising Laurence something that I may not be able to deliver and the problems it may cause.  So, I called Ray Martino, who said that until she's released, Bitsy's not going to see Mitch.  And of course, after she's released, it would be her decision to go or not.  I went to see him today, and he's not letting go of the idea.  The bastard is lovesick or something."


Blair immediately flashed on the painting of Mitch Laurence that Sister Rebecca Katherine had told them about.  "I see.  Well, I don't see how I can help you."


"I just thought you ought to know about this," he said, standing, "I didn't want to keep it from you anymore."


"Well, thank you," she also stood and they both meandered toward the door.


"And, uh, how you want to proceed with Todd is up to you."


"He won't take it well," she said.


"I know, but . . . I just felt it should be out in the open."


"That's fine, thanks, John.  I'll handle him."


"And Blair,"  John said, turning at the door, "I've never seen Laurence like this.  It's like he's a sad little dog who lost its master.  Never saw anything like it."


"I get it.  I saw a little of it myself, remember, when I went to get info from him about Todd's abuse."


"Yes.  And I'm sorry for everything he has caused you and your family."


"Thanks, but it's not your apology to make," she opened the door.  


John stepped out. "Goodbye, Blair."


"Bye," she said, and closed the door.  Leaning against it, she wondered what good it would do to let Todd know what Mitch Laurence bartered for.


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!