WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Monday, May 28, 2012

Battle the Dark: Chapter 15

After several rounds of lovemaking, in and out of the tub, they had collapsed onto the bed, and were lost in each others' faces as they talked, looking into each others' eyes.  They reminisced about old times, and remembered small things that they guessed the other had forgotten.  Neither one had forgotten even one bit.

Blair was starting to doze on his chest, and he was playing with her hair, as they enjoyed the quiet.  Ray was due for a feeding in an hour or so, and it was very dark and quiet.  Todd said, "Blair, you awake?"

"Barely, but what's up?"

"I miss the boys."

She looked at her husband.  She could not have loved him more than that moment.  "That is so beautiful."

"I just do.  I miss them.  I'll miss making them breakfast like I do on Saturdays."

She sat up and put on her robe.  He was lying there, naked, with the sheet strewn over him sloppily.  Her breath caught in her chest for a moment and then she said, "Well, go on then."

He said, "Go on what?"

"You know what you want to do."

"Think they're up," he threw the covers off, and grabbed some jeans.  Pulling them on, he worked the shirt over his head.

"You kidding?  With a $100 movie ticket, they're probably half way through it already.  You know Jack is up, call him if you want.  Sam will cooperate.  You won't sleep that great without them anyway."

He smiled at her, "I have more surprises this weekend, but they'll just have to enjoy them, too.  I'll be right back.  Blair, it's like 1:00 in the morning?"

"They won't mind, Todd.  They can watch movies and play here.  Sam will think it's an adventure."

"I'll get Devon before I go.  He'll be outside the door."  He kissed her, "Love you."  She watched him go, waiting for Little Ray to wake for his feeding.  While basking in the quiet, she remembered his hands on her and the way he felt inside her.  He had done all this for her.  She didn't know how she could have lived without him all the time he was gone.  And, she was grateful he was there, whole, now.

In his naturally stoic way, he slinked downstairs with ease, and made it through the penthouse door to his neighbor's to get Devon.  In his quiet exit, Michael Leona did not even hear Todd Manning leaving.

***

Jessica, just getting home from an evening out with friends, lazily walked into the library of Llanfair, expecting to find it empty and quiet, and lounge there for a bit before taking off to bed.  To her surprise, Viki was there, reading a book by the fireplace, which was not lit.  The evening was too balmy for that.  In fact, Jess had removed her jacket earlier and had it flung over her shoulder.

"Hi, Mom."

"Jessica, you're home.  How was your evening?"

"It was okay," she said, plopping in the chair.

"I can see that's quite an overstatement."

"I guess. Why are you up?"

"Couldn't sleep.  Seems Clint has taken to snoring tonight.  It kept me up, so I decided to capitalize on it and get some reading done."

"Oh."

"Jessie, what's wrong?"  Viki could read her daughter pretty well after thirty-some-odd years. 

"I don't know, Mom."

"It's that boy.  The one who came to visit."

"Stop.  Really.  I don't care what Devon does at all."

"I see."  Viki said, closing the book.  "Can I say something?"

"Okay, what?"

"Why are you so mad at this young man?"

"He lied to me.  You know the story, Mom.  You know what happened."

"Yes, but that was some time ago, and that was before he saved your life."

Jessica's face softened.  She pretended nonchalance.  "So?"

"He saved your life, he risked his own.  Seems to me he loves you.  Are you sure this is not just you being afraid to lose another person you love?"

Jessica didn't answer.  She just sat and looked at her mother.  "How do you do that?"

"Do what?"  Viki asked.

"Know things.  See into my head?"

"I just do.  Now, don't be too late, you have to be up early with the the children in the morning for that park event you promised them."

Viki headed to bed, and Jessica looked after her.  "Good night."

Jessica went out to the patio and looked up into the starry sky.  She lifted her face to the stars and breathed in the warm but fresh air.  "Good night," she said again.

***

Sister Rebecca Katherine awoke with a start.  She had an eerie quease in her stomach, and reached aside the bed for water.  There was none; she had forgotten to fill the pitcher before bed.  She ambled, in her nightgown, to the sink in the adjoining bathroom.  Her quarters were nice enough, and she enjoyed living at St. Anne's.  She especially loved helping the needy patients and supporting their wellness.  It was the job for her.

As she sat down to return to bed, she could not shake the horrible feeling.  It started in the pit of her belly and traveled through her arms and back.  She prayed, hoping it would help, yet the feeling did not ease.  Afraid that it meant a medical condition of some kind, she picked up the phone, even though it was late, and called her brother.

"Timothy, were ya sleeping?"

"You know I am up late, Creena.  I was just writing a bit."

"And then you'll be in bed until noon.  I know you!"

"Yes, well,  was doing a bit of research and writing for your Mr. Manning.  I owe him an article."

"Ah, yes, Todd."  That moment, she was reminded of the sick feeling in her gut, and the reason she called.  "I'm feeling....rather strange, brother."

"What's the problem, ay?"

"I feel sickish, like something is wrong.  I cannot shake the feeling.  I don't know what it is, but it's strange.  It rather woke me.  Water and praying have not helped."

"Eat something, woman."

"Not hungry, really.  I'm worried.  I called because I wondered if there were something wrong with you.  But I guess you're perfectly all right, and cantankerous as ever."

"Yes, I'm fine.  But your 'sense' has me worried.  You're a pretty perceptive lady, my lass."

"Sometimes.  I just can't quite place it but something is not right."

"Who is on your mind, Sister?  You can tell me."

"I believe it's...I don't want to think it."

"Ya think it's your 'son,' that Todd Manning, my boss, eh?"

"I think it's The Mannings, yes.  The only other people aside from you that I have this strong of a love for.  Jessica also, but I get the feeling it's not about her.  I just can't shake it.  I don't know if I will be able to sleep."

"Well, Creena, how do you feel about calling there?"

"At this hour?  Never.  It's late, and the babe is probably asleep.  I might disturb them, let me just forget about it and try and rest."

"All right.  Are you sure you're all right?"
 
"Yes, I'm fine, never mind me.  I'll read a bit and try and relax and sleep more," she said.

He sensed her growing concern.  "This isn't like what happened before Johnny was shot, is it?"

She paused.  "It's similar to that, but I'm not going to think about that now.  I'd rather just ignore it and chalk it up to a case of indigestion.  You know,  Fridays are pizza night here at St. Anne's."

"Of course."  He thought a moment, "Why does this lad mean so much to you, Creena?"

She smiled a bit through tears, "He's such a deeply wounded soul, Timothy, it's very hard to explain it in simple words.  Some terrible things have happened to him, and not just from Carlo Hesser."

Timothy paused, "From what I hear about Hesser and his crew, the things he experienced there would have been enough." 

"God bless him," she said, "I'll be over to see them tomorrow, first thing, if you'll come and give me a ride?"  

"Sure, lass," he said, and they hung up.

***

Under the same stars, Michael Leona woke up.  He scrambled to his feet and checked the designated areas.  The street was quiet.  The bug had produced no sound in the lower level of the penthouse.  He was relieved that he had not slept through an opportunity, but realized also that there would be plenty more coming his way if he needed them.  He was in no rush.  He wanted to relish every moment.

It was then that he proceeded to look to the right and left of the building and he saw it.  The SUV was gone.  In his way of calculating, he figured that 90-10, it was Todd who had gone out at this late hour, not Blair.  His chance had arrived.  Breathing in the fresh cool air on the rooftop, he was exhilarated by the prospect of what he came to do, and what he might add to it for his own enjoyment.  He descended the stairs to the service area, and headed for Penthouse 2.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!