WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Battle the Dark: Chapter 6

"So, Walnut, a bit of a strange name.  Thank you for untying my hands."  The nun said.

"Don't thank me.  I kidnapped you."

"Yes but you showed some mercy and kindness.  These I know make for a kind person in there somewhere."

"Don't call me kind."  He said.

The nameless man came from the bathroom, and packing a bag haphazardly, he left them in the room together.  "He was in a rush, that one."  Sister Rebecca Katherine said, and Walnut said nothing.  He sat across from her on a stiff armchair.  She went on, "How did you get into this mess?"

He didn't respond.  "Quiet.  Now."

She stopped talking, and sat on the edge of the bed, frightened and needing sleep.  "Can I go to sleep, then, Mr. Walnut?  Will ya mind if I get some shut eye?"

He nodded to the bed affirmatively.  She knew he would be there, watching her all night long.  She tried not to think of the horrors that might await her.  Instead, she removed her headpiece, and some of the overgarments of the habit.  In just a simple skirt and top, she went to lie down.  Before she did, he spoke, "There's a bag over there with some stuff.  Some ladies' nighties, and some slippers, some toiletries.  If you want them."

"Why thank ya, but for tonight, I think I'll just be getting some sleep in these, my working threads.  No sense dirtying something at this late hour.  Good night, then."

He heard her, in the dark, saying her prayers, and his own name was mentioned.  He sat, watching her until her breathing became very regular.  Checking the door, he made certain all locks were thrown.  It was him and the nun, at this point.  He waited for orders, and decided to sleep in the chair as she rested.

***

Carlo Hesser made his way to the arranged meeting place in Dublin.  He obtained a sleek thrill from the idea that he was just hours from Innishcreg, where Todd Manning was shot and almost killed.  He knew he would run into some of the old-timers from The Men of 21, and get the most recent updates.  Disguised as an elderly sheep farmer, he made his way across the streets, carrying a small sack.  First he would deal with The Brodericks, then later, The Mannings. 

Freedom had not meant as much to him as it did this time.  Now that he was able to go where he wanted and rebuild his life, a sense of peace and exhilaration went through him as he traversed the foggy roads in Rialto.  This meeting would be just the beginning.  He had already begun to ingratiate himself back into the fold by carrying out the first task that they asked of him again.  He had made certain that the Broderick woman was held, by one of his few and strongest remaining contacts in the states.  It had been years, and they wanted proof, and deserved, of his continued loyalty.  This would certainly please them all and cause them to return to his call.  He would lead them again.  Poseidon would return and captivate the oceans with his power.

***

It was morning.  Todd woke up to see Blair, in the rocking chair, nursing his son.  It was the most beautiful thing he could have woken to.  "He's fine with it, now.  It took some doing, but he's got it."  Blair said.

She couldn't have been more gorgeous to him if she tried: that just-woke tiredness about her; her hair, flat from sleep and slightly amiss; make-up free face with a sweetness he couldn't place when she met the eyes of her child; and her white nightgown around her, slipped down off one shoulder to feed his baby.  He just looked at them, in the mother-child dance, and slipped back beneath the covers for a little more rest.  

She climbed back into the bed next to him after about fifteen minutes.  He could hear the softness of Ray's little breaths next to them in the bassinet.  She put her head on his shoulder and said, "All right, Daddy, what's on your mind?"

"How do you know I have something on it?"

"I can tell.  You were restless all night.  And it was not dreams."

"No.  It's that nun.  I guess I have some kind of affinity for her."

"What exactly did go on between you two?"

"It was...I don't know how to say it.  I just know that I was at the end of my world, Blair, when I thought you might..."


"Die?  It's okay, you can say it.  I'm right here."


"Okay, when I thought you might die.  I was sick over it.  I couldn't function.  I couldn't see anything ahead of me but black."


"And she was there for you?"


"Yeah.  She made me see some light.  And then, you were okay.   Maybe her prayers or something.  She made me see something ahead of me, instead of utter darkness.  And, she figured me out, without me saying a word."


"Some people are like that.  They may have gifts that we can't understand."


"She must.  Or else it's something deeper than that.  If that's the case, I don't know how to accept it into my mind.  I never believed in God answering prayers, Blair, not the way she does.  She makes me wonder."


"I know.  I thought of that."


"If you had died, I am telling you, I don't know what would have become of me."


"You would have been the boys' father.  That's what.  You would have been Starr's daddy, and Hope's granddad."


"I don't think I could have done it."  He looked at her, and his face showed a calm certainty.  "I just don't.  I'd sit there, while you were in with the doctors, and I'd try to see past that day, and there was nothing.  Just dark."


"You would have found a way.  Your sons would have needed you."


He didn't answer, and was afraid to tell her that he was sure there would be no him if there were no her.  He was pretty positive he'd fade into himself and stay there if she were gone.  Of course, he pushed it away.  This wasn't happening - not now.  But he still knew.


She changed the subject, seeing his unresponsive face go somewhere she was not sure about.  "Todd, do you think we will have another baby?"


He laughed, "We just got the new one.  Let us get tired of him first."


"All right," she laughed, "I was just wondering.  We're not getting any younger."


"We'll never be old, because we'll both be the same age.  We won't notice.  Don't worry about that now."


"What should I worry about, then?"


"Sister Rebecca Katherine."


"I know, she's still on your mind, eh?"


"Yep.  Though she might have things under control, you never know with that one."

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!