WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Shadows Fall: Chapter 47

The next day, Todd and Blair were both tired, dealing with the three-hour stretches of sleep that the new baby would take.  Both of them were up each time the baby needed them.  Blair was exhausted, she turned to him when the sun peeked in and said, "The kids, school."

He said, "It's all right.  I sent them off about two hours ago."

She closed her eyes, "I have to get up.  I have to get Sam's lunch."

He petted her hair.  "He has his lunch.  Go to sleep."

He peeked over the bed, and Little Ray was sleeping in his bassinet, and one of his little hands was folded up under his chin.  Todd reached over and gently stroked his head.  The baby was so tiny, his hand completely dwarfed him.  He marveled at his shallow little breaths, and his peaceful expression.

Turning back over, he grabbed his tablet from the nightstand and typed an email:

Ramon, start the plans I made last week.  I want the nursery at The Sun ready for us in a week.  Mrs. Manning and I will both be at The Sun sometime over the next few weeks. We've got to settle in first and get used to the baby and his hours.  I want the nursery I planned to be ready by next Friday, just in case Blair wants to come in sooner.  Email me back any questions.  The details are in the plan I sent you earlier.  TM


Feeling a sense of accomplishment, he moved on to what he felt would be next.  He called Addie, asking her to come by in an hour or so to help out while he was gone.  As soon as Blair was up and awake for the morning, and Addie arrived, he would be on his way to pay a visit to Mayor Finn to try and land the biggest story since his return.

It was already ten in the morning, and Todd was surprised that he had dozed.  Turning on the baby monitor, he traipsed down the stairs to get himself some coffee and food.  In making his way to the kitchen, he was stopped short by the doorbell.  He opened the door to see Devon standing there, with a small bouquet of flowers. 

"We don't want any," he said, starting to close the door.

Devon stopped it with his hand, which Todd looked at, and then moved his eyes to the young man's face.  "Come on, give me a break, will you, Todd?"

"Todd?  Who told you to call me Todd?  It's Mr. Manning to you."  He said turning his back and leaving the door ajar.  Devon took this as an invitation to step inside.  "Hurry up, I'm a busy man.  Got a new baby.  He takes a lot of my time, and I wouldn't have it any other way."

"All right.  So are you going to listen to me, Mr. Manning?"

"Todd."

Devon rolled his eyes.  "Todd.  Are you going to hear me out?"

Todd rolled a pencil between his fingers.  Sitting slouchy in the chair, with a white a-shirt and pajama pants, he said, "Maybe."

"These flowers are for Blair."

"Eh."

He placed them on the coffee table.  "Look, I saved Jessica's life, don't I get any credit?"


"What exactly do you want?  That nun did more than you."


"What a punch she gave that guy."


"Yeah," Todd laughed to himself, and Devon joined in.  "That was pretty good."


"The way she whipped her head around and just hooked him under the jaw."  Soon, both were laughing and reliving the whole event, scene by scene.

When the humor passed, Todd said, "What do you want, Devon?  Why did you come here?"

"I can't give up on Jessica.  I love her.  Haven't you ever made a mistake with someone, and then tried to prove your love?  That's why I'm here."

Todd thought about it.  "I've done that at least one hundred times, maybe more."

"So then you relate?"

"No.  Because Blair and I, we're made for each other.  We're the same kind of person.  We get each other and we can't live apart."

"How do you know Jess and I aren't like that?"

"I don't.  But neither do you.  How long have you known her?  She's fragile.  I don't want her hurt by you and your 'gigs.'"

"How long did you know Blair before you knew?"

Todd stopped, thinking back.  Blair, at Rodi's, in her white blouse with ruffled front and short, black pencil skirt.  Blair, her hair shining in the moon, on the park bench.  Blair, tricking the policeman outside his hospital room so he could escape.  "All right, you made your point.  Why did you come here though?"

Devon smiled.  "Easy.  I need an ally."

"You have to earn that.  I tell you what, I am hiring a new security team for here, and at The Sun.  With a little training, you seem to have the right stuff.  Maybe.  This will be a way for me to keep an eye on you and figure you out.  Report to this guy," he handed him Shaun's card, "and follow his directions.  My family is the most important thing in my life.  You are to put yourself above them, and die for them if you need to."


"I totally understand that.  I can do it.  I already love your family."


Todd didn't fall into any discourse about the last comment.  Instead, he stood up.  "Get going, I've got a lot to do."

"Congratulations on the baby, again.  He sure had an eventful birth.  Oh, one more thing?  Should I go see Jessica or not?"


"Give it a few days.  Ask me again Thursday."


Todd looked at the clock.  Addie was due soon, and he still had not eaten.  He got himself some coffee and breakfast, and began to go over his security plan.  Shaun was to be hired full-time, round the clock security at the penthouse or wherever Blair and the baby were.  The rest of the team would be stationed at various places:  Sam and Jack's schools, LaBoulaie, and The Sun.  He was not taking any chances, and took Zeus' warning very seriously.  Now that Moonbeam was here, more than ever, he needed to make certain that everyone was protected and there were to be no slip ups.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

1 comment:

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!