WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Battle the Dark: Chapter 9

"I'm going back to see Ray, Blair."  Todd said.

She turned from nursing in the rocking chair, and looked at him.  "I think that's great, if that is what you need."

"It is what I need.  I don't like how I'm feeling.  Jittery, on edge.  The nightmares, they're increasing, when they should be decreasing.  I'm home, you are with me, I should be able to put it all behind me."

"PTSD is not something you just put behind you.  You went through that hell for eight years, Todd."

"Maybe.  Maybe it's something else."

"Don't start questioning yourself.  You have come a long way with this."

"I don't like how I feel.  I just don't.  I can't relax, I feel like I can jump out of my skin."

She put the baby down in the bassinet.  She reached out and took his hand.  "Come here."  She lead him to the bathroom, and ran the water into the beautifully-crafted tub and jacuzzi.  "I am positive you can relax.  I seem to remember someone really liking certain bath times with me?"

He smiled, and watched her disrobe.  He suddenly forgot his train of thought, and found himself undoing his shirt.  

She said, "Remember?"  She walked to him, almost fully nude, "those nights in here, toward the end of my pregnancy?  The candles on the rim, and us in that lukewarm water?"

He dropped his shirt to the floor.  She ran her hands down his sculpted chest, stopping to play in his chest hair a few moments, before her hands went to his belt.  He said, "I remember that."

"Of course you do," she said, slipping his pants down, "and you remember how relaxing it is?  Just sitting in that nice bubbly hot water, and waiting to see whatever happens?"  Next, she lowered his boxers, and he stepped out of them, moving closer to her.  

She pulled away, teasingly, and took his hand, and he followed.  She stepped into the tub, and sank down, and he came in after her.  They sat, heads tipped back, and relaxed.  She had added a sprinkle of lavender oil to the water, and they basked in the comfort of it.  A few minutes later, she said, "So, you can't relax?"

"I'm pretty relaxed.  I guess you were right."

"I was."

"Do you remember what comes next, Mrs. Manning?"

"I certainly do, Mr. Manning."

He moved toward her and pulled her over him and they became lost in their embrace.

***

Walnut pulled his phone from his pocket.  "Yeah?"

"My good man, how is our friend doing?"  Carlo's voice was that same lilting, sinister tone.

"She's fine.  She prays a lot."

"I see, and she certainly has reason.  There is a change in our plans."

Walnut swallowed.  "And?"

"You are to hold our guest a while longer.  We've come up with a different plan."

"I am glad you're saying so.  She wasn't too worried about dying."

"Yes, some of my cohorts mentioned that, being such devout Catholics.  Our new plan is to work on the other end.  Our plan is to bring Timothy Broderick to us.  We will post a message in an underground newspaper and bring him to us.  If he wants her to live, he must reveal himself first."

"I think you have more hope with that plan," he said, turning to Sister Rebecca Katherine and watching her.  She was doing her rosary.

"Yes, well, this is perfect.  He will come forward to protect her, and then we will have him."

"Then, I can let her go?"

"No, you will not be letting her go.  She's seen you.  She knows who you are, she knows who you work for.  She will be eliminated."

He swallowed again, saying, "Yes, sir."

"Fine.  I'll notify you soon of what to do."  And the phone clicked off.

She turned to him, "Just finishing the rosary, the one you asked for.  I did this in your name."

"We have a problem," he said.

***

Devon knocked on the door of Llanfair.  The door opened, and a distinguished butler said, "Hello, may I help you?"  His accent was British.

"I'm here to see Jessica."

"Do come in, please wait, I'll get her."  He disappeared up a grand staircase.  Devon remained in the foyer of the house, hands folded.  Jessica came to the top of the stairs, and then saw him, and turned back.  

"Jessica, wait, please?  I need to talk to you.  It's about....Sister Rebecca Katherine."

She stopped, and then turned, walking slowly down the stairs.  "What about her?"

"You've heard, right?" he said, holding up his boss' paper.

"I did.  Why are you here?"

"Wanted to make sure you knew."

"I know.  Now you can go," she headed for the doorway and opened it, showing him out.

"All right, that's not why I came."

"Of course, a lie, that's perfect.  Just up your alley."

"Jess, come on, that's not fair," he said.  "Give me two minutes to talk."

She paused, "All right two minutes, and hurry, my watch is fast."

"Okay, I love you.  I never lied about that.  I want to be with you.  That's a fact.  I was an actor, yes.  I wasn't acting when I fell for you. I've told you all this before, but I figure if I keep telling you, sooner or later you will believe me."

She didn't falter.

He continued, "I loved being with you, around you.  I loved making love to you.  I can't get it out of my mind, and I want you so much.  I made a mistake, and I am sorry.  Everyone makes them, Jess."

She faltered, folding her arms and blinking back tears.

He went on, "Please give me another chance."

"Two minutes is up.  You have to go, Devon."

He looked dejectedly at his feet.  "All right.  Thanks for listening.  I won't quit though,"  and he left.  She sat on the settee and slumped forward onto her elbow.

Nigel peeked around the corner.  "Miss Jessica, may I get you anything?"

 "No."

"If you don't mind me saying so, Miss, I think the only thing you'd possibly want may have gone through that door."
*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for keeping the nun safe so far, please keep her unharmed. Your story is incredible and I always look forward to your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for these lovely comments. I wish more folks would write them, so I could see what works for the readers! Enjoy...more coming.

    ReplyDelete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!