WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Friday, April 26, 2013

Diamond in the Rough: Chapter 62

"So all of us have to wear red?"  Jack said.


"Yeah, all of us have to wear red.  Anything red."  Todd said.


"Can I wear my red pajama pants, plaid, and my red t-shirt?  The Abercrombie one?"


"Yep."


"Cool.  I'll be comfortable instead of all packed in to some tie and shirt."  Jack said, going up the stairs.


"Company comes at 6:30," Blair added.  She came down the stairs in a short red dress with a fur collar and fur cuffs.  The fur was black, but it reminded him instantly of how she looked when she gave him the original Christmas gift.  He stared at her.  She smiled, "You like it?"


He swallowed.  Starr said, "Of course he likes it," and looked back at him, drawn into his expression.  She'd only seen him that way a few times.  Her eyes brimmed, and she looked back at her mother.  She said, "Mom, who did you invite to this party?"


"Just about everyone in the family.  Vicki's family does their own thing, but we'll see them tomorrow, on Christmas Day, like we always do."  She made her way to Todd's side.  He was wearing black slacks and a tight-fitting red shirt with black accents.  


She said, "You are beautiful."


He said, "You took my words," and kissed her.


"Oh God, here comes the mushy stuff."  Sam said, wearing the mini Santa suit he had begged for.


The doorbell rang.  Jack, who was just coming down the stairs, said, "I'll get it."


Sister Rebecca Katherine, with Timothy, entered the foyer. 


"They're here!" Sam shouted.  "Yay!  Last year was the best because of you, Grandpa!"


"Well I'm glad," Timothy said.


"And you Sister Becca Thrin!"


"Thank ya, Laddie.  Let's go see the tree," and the three of them went off after handing Jack their coats.  Starr met up with Jack in the foyer.  


Taking one of the coats, she said, "You know why Aunt Dorian isn't here, right?"


"She and Timothy had some kind of lover's quarrel."  Jack said.


"Lover's quarrel my ass.  I was there.  I just want to tell you, if Aunt Dorian shows up, I'm not letting her get away with what she's doing."


Jack rolled his eyes as she walked off, "Drama," he said.


Hugs and greetings were all around and the gifts brought were placed under the tree.  Todd had hired one waiter for the evening, who was bringing around snacks.  The main meal would be a buffet, when everyone had arrived.  Hope and Sam were running around and Sam was yelling, "On Dasher, on Dancer, on Prancer and Nixon!"


Todd said, "Nixon?  Don't tell me one of our kids is a Republican." 


Timothy said, "I'll catch both of ya and turn ya into reindeer meat!" and chased the children, Hope screaming as they went through the archway leading to the dining room.


Sister Rebecca Katherine said, "I was at Mountain View today, Todd."


He sipped his drink.  "Okay.  How is she?"

"She's mostly the same.  But I wanted ya to know, that she sent this.  Ray wanted me to give it to ya."


She extended her hand, and in it was a beautifully decorated envelope, with meticulous spirals and stars in Christmas colors.  He hesitated.  Blair looked at him, and then took the envelope.  "We'll read this later, thank you," she said.


He nodded, and looked off at the fire.  The nun got up, and without notice, took his face in her hands and said, "I'm very glad to have met you, Todd Manning.  I feel blessed to be part of your family," and kissed his cheek gingerly.


He said, "Merry Christmas, Sister."


The doorbell rang, and Blair was up, "I'll get it, since you're busy kissing!"  Her Louboutin pumps were black patent, and the red underneath them matched her dress.  She opened the door, "Dorian!" and hugged her Aunt.


Jack, standing near the tree, said, "This ought to be good."


Todd stood, "Auntie Dorian," he said, and she kissed both his cheeks.


"Todd, Merry Christmas," she said, looking around.


"Grandpa's here," Jack said.  "He's chasing the kids."


She acted as though it didn't matter to her, and moved to Sister Rebecca Katherine to greet her.


Starr made a beeline for her mother.  "Mom, I need to see you a minute."


"Starr, I'm . . ." she had no choice as Starr practically pulled her out of her shoes.  "For goodness sake, 
what is it?"


Starr whispered, "I didn't want to say anything before, but I didn't know she was coming."


"What?  What?"


"Do you know why the fight happened between Timothy and Dorian?"


"No, why? Starr?"


"Mom, she wants you and Dad to break up.  Again."


"Oh come on, Starr," she began to head back to the guests.


"Mom, I was there.  She said terrible things about Dad and how she wants to protect the Cramer women.  That he brings all kinds of danger and pain to the family, and that this thing with Grandma Bitsy is just more of that."


"You heard her?"


"Yeah.  And so did Timothy.  He flipped on her, in a gentlemanly way.  Then I left, so I didn't hear the rest.  And Mom," her face changed.  Blair saw water come to her daughter's eyes.  "Why didn't you tell me about Dad?  About . . . when he was a little boy?"


Blair stopped.  She looked to the ceiling, and with her own eyes moistening, she said, "It's up to your father, not me, and we just learned of it, not a few days ago.  When we met Bitsy.  He suspected, but he didn't remember fully, until she clarified it.  Since then, he's been dealing with it the best he can, and mostly worried about her.  I think his memories are all coming back."


"Well, Dorian knows, and she didn't ever seem to care.  She's just back to wishing you two apart."


Blair eyes squinted.  "I"m going to ask her to leave."


"Wait, Mom!  Are you sure?"


"Leave this to me.  I've had enough, and it has to end.  Once and for all."


Starr rolled her eyes, and followed her mother, and Jack, who was listening in from just outside the kitchen said, "This ought to be really good."


Blair went into the family room, and sat on the arm of the chair next to her husband.  She played with his hair a bit, as everyone was talking, and then waited for a lull in the conversation.  When she got it, Jack looked at Starr and said, "Here we go."


"Dorian, I was wondering,"


"Yes, Blair, what is it?"


"Why aren't you and Timothy talking?  Usually, you're in a closet or something somewhere."


"Blair!"  Dorian was indignant.


"Mom!"  Starr said.


"Yesss," Jack hissed.  Todd, surprised, looked at his son, who continued and said, "Goddess, Dad, Goddess."


Timothy, who had been playing with the children, came around the corner.  "I'm afraid I made a few off-color remarks at the lady, and she was not happy with me."


Dorian was speechless, and Starr, who was about to say something, felt Blair's hand go over her mouth.  Blair said, "IS that what it was, Dorian?  Is it?"  Her voice had escalated.


Dorian said, "Well, I . . ."


Timothy began to interject, and Blair said, "No, Timothy.  I'm sorry.  I realize you're being the gentleman you are to defend my aunt, but I want her to answer."


Dorian said, "Well, we both said things."


Blair, beside herself with anger, got up, and went toward her aunt.  "What things?"  She folded her arms.

Hope looked at Sam and said, "Wanna watch Sponge Bob?"


He said, "Nah, that's kid's stuff.  This is good."


Jack, realizing the types of things that might be said, ushered both Sam and Hope up the stairs to the game room and set them up with a game, and almost broke his legs attempting to get back to the confrontation in the family room.


As he stumbled down the last two steps, he heard Blair say, "So, tell us.  What did you exactly say?"


Timothy said, "Bridgette, really, it's Christmas. . ."


Blair cut him off.  "My house.  My house, and I want to hear it."


Dorian stood, "All right.  I'll own my words."


Jack, who had retrieved popcorn from the kitchen, plopped next to Todd and both of them shared.


"It's about time.  Go ahead.  We're all family here."  Blair added.


Dorian said, "Timothy and I did not see eye to eye on something."


"It was my fault," Timothy said, "I began it."


Dorian said, "No, actually, it was me.  I said that I thought Todd was bringing nothing but pain to you and your family."


Blair, whose fists had balled up on each side of her body, looked around her, and grabbed the first thing she saw, which was Jack's container of popcorn and flung the contents at Dorian.  


Jack, laughing under his breath, said, quietly, "Shit," as one perfectly-popped kernel stayed in Dorian's cleavage.


Todd stood immediately as Blair said, "Get out of my house."


Todd, still laughing from Dorian's popcorn shower, said, "Wait, wait, wait a second, Blair."  She turned and looked at him.  He put his hands up as a shield, as he checked her popcorn container for more, before continuing.  "Hang on, Babe."  He slowly took the container from her, and said, "Auntie Dorian's family.  And she happens to be right."


He turned to her, "Dorian, I know I've hurt Blair, and even the kids, but I never meant to.  There are just some things . . ." his voice cracked, and the room was no longer a bustle of comedic confrontation.  He put the popcorn container down on the table, and spoke again, "Some things have created situations in my life that I couldn't control.  Some of it even made me do things that I'm not proud of.  But I love Blair, and I love my kids.  And they make everything all right."


Starr had her hands over her nose and mouth and was crying.  Jack, was sitting, stoic, watching his father, intently.  Sister Rebecca Katherine dabbed at her eyes, as Todd, without notice, kissed Blair passionately, one hand on her jaw and the other in her hair.  Timothy broke into applause, which everyone in the room followed, except Dorian who, surprisingly was speechless and wiped at her eyes herself.  Sam and Hope came down the stairs, just to see the ending of the kiss.  Sam said, "More mushy stuff, yuck!"


When the kiss was finished, Todd said, "Auntie Dorian, come on and join us.  I think you'll enjoy the meal."  Taking one of Blair's hands, and one of Dorian's he lead them both into the serving area, where the buffet was set up.  It was beautiful, with Christmas lights and an ice sculpture in the center.  Hope said, "It's Beauty and the Beast, look!"  Jack found himself looking at his parents instead of the frozen statue, then noticed that Starr was doing the same.


Dinner proceeded without further incident.  Blair apologized for dumping the popcorn on Dorian, and she apologized for her words against Todd.  This, of course, lead to Timothy and Dorian sharing a few glances across the room, and Todd purposely pushing them toward the mistletoe.  "Come on, you two, I really don't want you to be apart over some words about me."


As Timothy kissed Dorian, Todd went back into the family room to clean up the cups and party remnants that were lying around, and took his mother's envelope off the mantle.  He held it in his hand, and Blair, who saw him alone by the fire, came to his side.  She put her chin on his shoulder, and said, "My love, are you all right?"


"Yeah.  This is was a Manning Christmas Eve, all right."


"Only we could have one like this," she said.


He said, "I love you."


She said, "I love you, too."


"Merry Christmas and all that."


"And all that," she said, resting her nose against his.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!