WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Diamond in the Rough: Chapter 75 (mild adult)

Tera Winfield sat next to Mitch in the car, looking ahead at the road.  He hadn't said much since he got in next to her, and asked about the guns.


She shot a glance at him, then said, "So, we're still going away together, right?  Michael?"

"Of course."  That was all he said.  Continuing the drive, he focused his eyes on the street in front of them.  After a few moments, he added, "What information did you get for me?"

"I found out what you asked.  The Mannings are away, Chicago, I believe. The boys are staying with their grandmother, aunt and sister."

She noticed his eyes squinted at the word "Chicago."  He said, "Hmf.  Dorian."

"Yes, she's usually there.  She and Addie have an appointment today, they're out.  Starr is there with her daughter.  Sam will be brought there soon, by his grandfather."

He interrupted, "That's not his grandfather.  Todd Manning has a way of making the world suit him.  The boy isn't his, or Blair's, and the man isn't a grandfather."

"Either way, that's the set up.  The older man brings Sam home every week, one day.  The older boy is out at Mountainview."

He raised an eyebrow and smirked.  "At Mountainview?"  He threw his head back and laughed.  "Seems like father, like son is a true statement."

She continued, "I believe they send a car for him.  At least, that is what it seems like they usually do.  My . . . daughter, my youngest, she's taken with the teenager."  

"Really?  That's too much of a coincidence, isn't it?"

"I'll admit, it's a bit strange, yes.  I still don't understand exactly what you have against the boy, but if the father attempted to kill you, whatever it is, I understand it's to forward the cause.  The Lord's work.  Jenna will have to get over the loss."  Tera was completely taken by Mitch's rule.  "Then, we can be together and I will serve you for the rest of our lives as we planned."

He seemed to be calculating something.  "What time do they all usually gather at home?"

"When it was at the mountain home, they'd all be there around six.  At La Boulaie, usually a bit earlier.  It doesn't happen as often.  Maybe 5:30."

He looked at his watch.  It was 5:00.  He said, "You've done well, Tera.  You've served the Messenger well."  He stopped the car, and pulled over.

She looked at him and smiled, before he brought his hands up in one movement, and grabbed her neck.  Squeezing with all his strength, he brought her to unconsciousness, her hand still on the handle of the car door.  Moving quickly out of the car and to her side, he dragged her out of the car onto the side of the road.  Then, heading to the back, he retrieved a pistol and shot her several times.  "Served the Messenger very well, but knew just a little too much.  Your reward will be in another place."

***

Todd was perched over her, one arm holding his weight off her, and the other under her bottom, pulling her up closer to him as he finished inside her.  She loved to watch him as he came, and listen to the sound of him.  All of it was part of a dance they had taken years to create together.  Now, it seemed as if her life couldn't be complete without these small details in her mind: the way he closed his eyes and relished the feel of her around him; the look of his arms, stomach and chest when he was with her; the way he always made sure she felt good before he worried about himself.

He opened his eyes and looked down at her, and she put her arms out, beckoning him to fall into them.  His head landed right above her breasts, almost directly on her heart, and his breathing slowly returned to normal.  She found her hands in his hair, as always, but without the long strands to play with.  He had made good on all of his words from the visit to Chicago; his long hair was a thing of the past.  As much as she loved it, she loved him this way as much.  It brought to mind the changes that had happened in their lives, that had brought them to these very moments.  She said, softly, "Todd?"

"Yeah?"

"Just checking to see if you were awake."

"I am.  Thinking about how good you feel."

She smiled.  "That's what I like to hear."

"You haven't sung to me in a long time, you know that?"

"Really?  I think it was just last week or so.  Has it been that long?"

"Yeah, I think it has.  Or else I just miss it."

She remembered him telling her, over and over, what her voice had come to mean to him the years he was away.  She said, "All right, any requests?"

"Dixieland."

"Huh?  I wish I were in Dixie?  That one?"

"No, just kidding.  How about 'The Old Gray Mare?'"

"Is that supposed to mean something?"

"No.  But if the shoe fits . . ."

She found herself playfully slapping his shoulder.  "Stop it.  That's not nice."

"What would it matter to me if you were old and gray?  Nothing."  He slid up her a bit, and whisked her over on top of him.  Easing her to the left of him, she found herself with her chin propped on her hand, looking into his face from his chest.  This was not before he planted a soft and loving kiss on her lips and one on the tip of her nose.

"Really?  What if you stop thinking I am beautiful because I'm old and gray?"  she said.

"That can't happen.  You're not beautiful because of those things.  I mean, you're pretty, you always were, but there something else.  You can't ever be not beautiful to me.  Besides, I'll be old and gray, too."

The room fell silent.  She closed her eyes a minute, with nothing but the rise and fall of his chest to lull her.  Then she opened her eyes again, and saw his were closed.  She said, "Hey?"

"Yep?" he said, without opening his.  

"It's so quiet," she said.  

He opened his eyes, gently moved her off him, and started to get out of bed.  She just stayed there and looked at him for a moment.  He pulled on his boxers, and then his pants.  She said, "What are you doing?"  

"Getting ready to go get the boys.  Isn't that what you were going to say next?  Too quiet?"

She blushed at the idea that he could know her that much.  "Well, I . . .oh all right, yes I was."

"Fine then.  I miss them, too."

"Can I go with you?"

"Sure.  Actually, I figure this.  If we hop the copter, and land it in Dorian's yard, we'll be just in time to meet up with Jack and ride with Williams and the boys back home.  I'll call Perzno.  He'll drop us off."

"You think of everything."

"Sometimes," he said.  Then he looked up to her.  "Blair, I don't want us to tell the boys or Starr what we learned about what happened to me and my mother in that house."

"All right."  She said, but he could tell it was more of a question.  He had always been forthright with the kids about everything since he had been back.  "I think Starr knows about some of it."

"I have my reasons.  You'll just have to trust me.  I know what it . . ."  he stopped a moment, gathering his thoughts and finishing tying a shoe.  "I know what it does to my mind, and my whole everything to know about it.  I pushed it down and away for so long for a reason.  I don't want any of my kids having these images in their souls.  I just don't.  It's like a horror film that's real, and they don't deserve that.  Whatever Starr knows stays that way.  They don't need to see that room in their heads."

She nodded.  Her husband was finally getting through it all and moving on.  "Whatever you say.  I'm with you one hundred percent."

"That I like, and need."  He said, taking a moment to stop and touch under her chin.  He rubbed his thumb across her lips.  "You...you're....well, you're Blair."

She thought to herself how just that was enough for him.  "You said that earlier.  And you're Todd.  My Todd."

"Let's go get the boys."  He said, putting his hand out.  She took it, and got up to dress.

***

Timothy got out of the car with Sam, and headed into La Boulaei.  Tina, still in the back under the blanket, said aloud to herself, "Well, Tina, this is it.  The diamond practically belongs to you anyway, so go ahead, get it and get out.  No time to be chicken."

Putting her head out from under the blanket, she checked around.  No one in sight; the road was a private culdesac, and there was no traffic to be seen or heard.  She quickly grabbed her bag, climbed over the seat, unlocked the back door from the inside, and exited the car.  She carefully made her way to the side of the house, ducking from any windows, and around to the back, where she found the cabana, fortunately unlocked, and went inside.  

"Well, I can stay here long enough to figure my next move.  It's not swimming season, so I should be safe from being found.  I'll just wait until tomorrow, when it gets to be around ten or so, no one will be home, everyone will be at work or school, and I'll slip in, get the Bhadra Diamond, and leave.  No one will be the wiser."  She felt her stomach flip a little.  "Now, Tina, this is no time to be getting nervous.  You're doing this for Blessed David Vickers, who went missing last year.  You'll be able to create that shelter in her name and still have a little left over for yourself."  She smiled, and then thinking better of it, said, "Or, have some for yourself and donate to a local shelter.  Either way, it's all good."

She looked around the room, and its modest poolside furnishings.  There were a few water toys scattered about, that reminded her of CJ and Sarah when they were little.  She touched the items with fondness, and sat herself into a wicker chair and put her feet up on the ottoman.  "Just a little longer.  Then, you'll have almost everything you ever wanted.  Well, almost."

She was dozing when she heard the loud and distinct sound of copter blades.  Peeking out the window of the cabana, she saw Todd and Blair disembark, and Todd wave off the driver.  "Leave it to my brother to make an entrance."

She watched the couple go into the house, and then settled back in the chair.  "It's going to be a long night.  Good thing I brought this extra sandwich for dinner.  I think I'll wait a bit, and nap first," she said, leaning her head back against the cushions and closing her eyes.

***

"Ah, Todd, Blair, nice to see ya," Timothy said.  "Didn't expect it, but it's good for the eyes anyway," he embraced Todd, slapping his back in a manly motion, and then kissed Blair's cheek.  "I trust your trip was a successful one?"  Starr and Hope stood by, along with Sam.

"I'll fill you in later, Old Man."  Todd said, and turned his attention to Sam, who was running at light speed to his arms.  

"And I will fill ya in as well.  Y'ar sons take after ya a bit."

"Dad!"  Sam jumped, and landed in Todd's grip.  Todd hoisted him over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes, his head over Todd's back.

Todd said, "Anyone hear Sam?  I could have sworn..." as he turned back and forth as if looking for him.  

Sam began to beat on his rear end, "I'm right here, Dad!"

"I hear him, but....Mommy, do you see him?"

Blair put a hand on her hip and said, "I hear him too, but...I can't see him."

"Where in the Hell did he go?"  Todd shouted, pretending to be perplexed.

"I'm right here, Dad, I know you see me!  Put me down and you'll see!"

Instead of putting him down, Todd swung Sam around and lifted him to sit on his shoulders.  His little shoes poked into Todd's chest.  "Hey don't kick, you're going to injure me."  He put Sam onto the ground.  "There he is, Mommy."

"Oh come here, you!"  She put her arms out and he ran to her and hugged her around the neck.  "Mommy missed you."

"I missed you, too.  We had fun, though me and Jack, we drove Aunt Dorian crazy.  We had the opposite game.  Everything she said, Jack told me to do the opposite."

"He did, did he?"  Todd asked, smiling.

"Yes, we'll be talking about that," she said, her motherly tone evident.  

He looked to Todd, "Am I in trouble Dad?"

"What, for aggravating Auntie Dorian?  Hell no."

"Tawd!"  Blair said.

"Well, maybe a little trouble."  When all eyes turned away, Todd winked.

"The boys were a bit mischievous, Parents, when ya were gone."  Timothy added.

Todd put his hands in his belt loops, "Well, I'll deal with this later, young man," in an exaggerated, authoritarian voice.

"Well, I best be going back to the Second Chances Mission.  Lots to do today."  Timothy said, heading for the door.  "Ya won't have to send a car for Jack.  He's getting a ride here with that girl, ya know.  Seems her sis offered to bring him."

Blair said, "Okay, Dad," and hugged Timothy again. "Thanks for taking care of my little man here."

"Bye Old Man, I'll fill you in later, promise."  Todd said, now bent on tickling Sam to hysterics.

Timothy made his way to the car, and drove off.  Sam watched him go through the window.  "I love Grandpa, Dad."

"I know.  Me, too.  He's a great guy."

"We're lucky to have a grandpa, right?"

"Right."

"And a grandma, like Grandma Addie?"

"Yep, her too."

"And Grandma Bitsy, right?"

Blair stepped in, seeing Todd's slight hesitation.  "Right.  Now go and wash up and pack your school things away."  She watched him go and said, "Todd..."

"I'm okay."

"Okay,"  Blair affirmed.

Starr, who had been watching from the side, said, "Well, glad you're home.  Should I wait for you to tell us what you found out?"

Blair said, "Yeah, that's best."

Todd said, "Come here, Shorty."  He put his arms around her and hugged her, kissing the top of her head.  "Missed you."

"Me too, Dad.  Glad you're home."

"Well the gang's almost all here."

"I have an idea."  Starr said, hoisting Hope onto her hip.  "Why don't we all stay here tonight, like old times?"

Blair said, "Todd?"

"Sounds okay to me, if that's what everyone wants.  Could be fun."

"Dorian and Addie won't be back until tomorrow.  They are going to the meeting with Sister Rebecca Katherine and then off to New York to shop for things for the Hope Weekend event.  I believe they're staying overnight."  Starr said.

"In that case, yes."  Todd said, taking Hope from Starr.  Just then, Ray was making his waking sounds upstairs, and calling out, "Da-da!  Yoo-hoo," as if calling to them to get him out of his crib.  Todd took the stairs two at a time to get to his son, and walking into the room, spied his little eyes just over the crib edge.  "Hey, buddy," he heard his voice crack.  It sounded far away and hollow.  "Come here."

He lifted him from the crib, and placed him over his shoulder, breathing in his baby-ness.  He said, aloud, "Hey, I missed ya.  I'm back though.  I'll never let anyone. . . ."  Todd didn't hear Blair behind him at the door.  She leaned against the frame and listened.  She watched as her husband patted his son's back and said, "You're safe with me.  I promise.  No one's ever going to hurt you, or do anything to you . . . not while I'm around."

Blair approached quietly from behind.  "Or me," she said, putting her hand on Todd's arm.  

He caught her gaze.  "I didn't know you were here."

"I didn't mean to eavesdrop."

"Yes you did," he smiled.

"All right, I did.  Fault me, if you want to.  I'm a sucker for sexy men who are child whisperers."  She put her chin on his shoulder.

He said, "Thank you for giving me him."

"You had a part in that, you know.  And you've already thanked me."

"Yeah, but . . . you had to do it all.  You know, the hard stuff."

"I wanted to.  For you, and me.  For us."

"I'm lucky, then."

"No, we are.  All of us."

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!