WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Mysterious Samuel Toddman: Chapter 3

As he started to leave the room, Samuel stopped and surveyed the paintings surrounding him. "Which one? Which one of you goes with me today? Ah yes, there you are. The time has come to part with you. Just as you sang to my heart, so shall you sing to that special someone." He looked at his painting wanting to remember it...his Muse in her long red gown holding a single red rose and staring wistfully at the shadowy figure of a man shrouded in fog. He carefully covered the painting to protect it from the elements.

He leaned the portrait against the door and donned his coat; from the pocket he removed a black silk mask which he proceeded to securely fasten to cover the right side of his face. With mask in place he pulled up his collar, picked up the portrait and departed the garret apartment.

***

Back at the bistro, Blair and Tomas continued their discussion. "Do you understand why I must find this artist? I must find how he knows about these moments in my life. You were going to tell me of some of the other paintings. Were there any more like the one of me on the stallion?" Blair asked.

"Always, I have thought that these paintings were the works of a man with deep insight and imagination. I never knew that some of them might be based in reality. One, I sold to a collector of celebrity paintings. He came into my Gallery one afternoon and chanced upon the portrait of you in an elegant pink gown adorned in diamonds at your neck and wrist. He said he had to have it because you looked so much like Marilyn Monroe and it would be a perfect addition to his collection. One of the smaller ones that was part of the first ones I sold for your anonymous artist, was of you gazing sorrowfully at an empty cradle. That one touched my heart so deeply. Please tell me that you did not encounter such sorrow." Tomas looked at Blair.
Blair sat there a moment, her thoughts a million miles away to an earlier time, remembering sitting in a limo laughing with a tall dark man enjoying a secret only they knew and then in an instant her thoughts wander to a time when every thing seemed so empty.. the loss of the baby and the loss of a love.

Tomas gazed at Blair and knew she was no longer with him in the moment, as he watched, tears began to form in her very expressive eyes. Tomas reached across the table and gently touched her hand. "Oh my dear Blair, forgive me for upsetting you."

Feeling the touch on her hand, Blair blinked rapidly, wiped the tears quickly from her eyes and gave Tomas a tremulous smile.
" It's quite alright. I'm feeling very overwhelmed right now hearing all of this. I just don't understand any of it. What you have been telling me is so unbelievable. This man is painting so many intimate, and from the sounds of it, painful details of my past and I don't know him. How does he know me? Who's supplying him with details known to only a couple of people? I must find this artist! For my own sanity, I have to clear this up."

Tomas sat back having let go of her hand." Yes. It is obvious that we should do everything possible to get you two together. Unfortunately, that is where the problem is. Paris is full of artists and finding our mysterious one is going to take some time. As I pointed out, he's always come to me on his own schedule. I never know when I'll receive a call or when he will put in an appearance in my Gallery. Several of your paintings were sold recently and in fact the one you saw in my Gallery was purchased yesterday and I was at the Gallery this morning to ensure its proper packaging for delivery..of course after encountering you, the only thought in my head was an urgent need to get to know you, the subject of so many beautiful paintings."

Blair blushed, not quite knowing what to say to this handsome man looking so intently at her. She barely knew this man, yet here she was sitting across a table from him and opening up to him as if he were a dear friend.
"Yes...well perhaps we should table this discussion. From what you say, it looks like we're going to have to find a way to draw out this artist; but the afternoon is waning and I really should get back to my friend. If you would be so kind to take me to my hotel, I really need to rest a little bit, I'm feeling drained. This morning has been an eye-opener. Perhaps you could join my friend and me for breakfast tomorrow and we could plan our next move."

"Oh most certainly, a good night's rest and we'll undertake the task at hand. Now let me get you to your hotel and I'll return to my Gallery to see to the painting. I'm sure tomorrow we will be able to come up with some kind of plan." with that Tomas paid the waiter and helped Blair out of her chair.

After seeing Blair safely enter her hotel, Tomas sat in the cab and replayed the lunch in his head."What an intriguing woman." he thought. "To inspire such paintings, surely she is a prize worth keeping. How could one let her get away."

***

The afternoon was getting on as Samuel neared the front of the Gallery. He looked around, luckily there were not any passersby on the street. Not comfortable being out during the daylight hours, Samuel moved to look through the window of the Gallery. He noticed her painting being removed from the wall. "Well, it looks as if Tomas has sold another. Ah my beautiful Muse, you are so wild and reckless. May you gallop away to the clouds, free and unfettered" Samuel stared as they put the painting into a crate. He thought to himself. "There are too many people here right now. I must wait till nightfall." He backed away from the window and walked back into the shadows. Just then, the taxi carrying Tomas pulled up out front of the Gallery. Samuel stopped when he heard the cab. He turned and watched Tomas enter his establishment.

" This is good. Tomas is here. I'll wait till the others leave and then Tomas and I can have our discussion." he leaned against the wall and bundled up. "Hopefully this will not take much longer."

Upon entering the Gallery, Tomas assessed the situation and went to the crate to make sure all was well with the painting. Seeing everything was in order, he made sure the crate was being sent to the proper party. The label read. To: Mr. Carlo Hesser, c/o the Caribbean Gallery, Cayman Islands. Mr. Hesser was one of his best clients. Strangely, Mr. Hesser had bought quite a few of his anonymous artist's paintings..Now having met the subject of these paintings, Tomas wondered if Mr. Hesser also knew Ms. Cramer. After seeing the crate securely on the truck to be shipped off, Tomas instructed his crew that they could leave for the night. He headed back into his office. Stepping into the room he turned and looked at the painting on the wall opposite his desk. It was of Blair standing on a circular stair staring out a vast window overlooking a city. It's nighttime and Fireworks were in the night sky, lighting her upturned face. In the shadows behind her one could just make out the figure of a man watching her. Suddenly Tomas heard the bell at the front door. He sighed and left his office. As he came into the Gallery he saw a very familiar figure.

"My dear sir...how fortuitous..I have been looking for you for some time. Several of your recent paintings have sold and I was hoping to be able to get the money to you." Tomas walked warmly toward Samuel. "Please let me get your Money but we must talk..something very unexpected happened today."

Samuel moved to the counter and laid down his portrait. He carefully positioned the counter between himself and Tomas. "Stop Tomas, you know I'm not one for talking. I've brought you another portrait I expect you'll have no trouble procuring a buyer ."

Tomas stopped his forward motion and turned to go to his safe, he knew how skittish his mysterious friend was and this time he had to try and get some information from him. After everything he learned from Blair this afternoon, he was too intrigued by what had befallen. He must find a way to help Blair, and now for his own curiosity, he too must find out more about this man. He collected the money from his safe and went back to the counter. As he placed the money down on the counter he looked at Samuel. " May I see your latest offering." Samuel nodded,and Tomas lifted the covering off the Portrait. It was exquisite. Tomas admired it and remembered that face sitting opposite him at lunch.

Tomas looked up at the face across from him in the shadow. He noticed the mask, and although shadowed he saw a strong face, magnetic eyes and long hair that seemed to fit this man. The man had seen much but he was unbending, a certain strength emanated from him. Tomas cleared his throat and said, "As always, you've outdone yourself. This is magnificent. As you know by now,you're works are extremely popular. Two of my clients are always in a constant bidding war over your work. I, of course, will let them know another piece is available. But my friend surely after all this time you could extend to me a favor?" and he looked at Samuel.

Samuel, realizing that this man has been a friend for such a long time and had never asked for anything, nodded and said " If it is in my power to grant you this favor, then certainly, what is it you ask of me?"
Tomas smiled." If you would, could you please tell me your name. At least your first name. For so long a friend, I believe we can at least call each other by name." For the first time since he met him all those years ago, Tomas saw his friend smile.

"Samuel," he said "my name is Samuel."

As he stood there smiling Samuel realized this man was a friend. He'd been there for Samuel and never before had he asked any questions. Tomas had helped him but always respected his privacy. Samuel began to leave.

"Wait! Don't forget your money." said Tomas and he handed the money across the counter to Samuel's outstretched hand.
Samuel pocketed the money and headed for the Door. He stopped and turned to look at Tomas "Take care of her." nodded toward the picture and disappeared out the door.

Tomas stood frozen for a minute then made a mad dash to the door. " Samuel, Wait!" he looked down the street and saw a figure turning the corner. "Wait , come back! I have something important to tell you!" Samuel kept walking, he hadn't heard the call.

Samuel bundled up against the chill of the night but mostly out of habit. Tonight he didn't feel the chill. He had a friend. Maybe he'd be able to tell Tomas more the next time he saw him. He realized he needed someone to talk to that could talk back. As he arrived at the garret, he took the steps two at a time, anxious to tell the girls of this evening. He stepped through the doorway into his apartment. Looking at all of his paintings he sighed, took off his coat, draped it over his arm long enough to remove his mask from the side of his face and put it back in the pocket. He removed the money and headed over to the mantle where he gently slid Dee's picture to the side and opened the safe hidden behind her. Samuel counted out the money. He held the $200,000.00 and whistled." I've really got to go to the Gallery more frequently. This was for just three paintings." He peeled off a couple of thousand and put the rest in the safe. Pulling the painting back into place he smiled and said "Oh my lovely one, you I trust implicitly, I know you always have my back Dee." Samuel stepped back and gazed lovingly at his two ladies. " I have to tell you I've made a friend...After all these years I think I can be friends with Tomas. I told him my name and I didn't feel panicky maybe something is indeed changing. My images are getting stronger, is it possible that what I'm seeing , what I'm feeling is something real. Are they real memories? I don't know, but I'm going to find out. The doctors told me a long time ago that I needed to talk to someone, someone separate who could give me some honest feedback. I'm going to do it. I think I'm going to try and have a conversation with Tomas. I think he'll listen objectively . All these years he's been trustworthy and discreet. It's time."


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!