WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Monday, March 26, 2012

The Shadows Fall: Chapter 15

Todd brought Jack into the penthouse and sat him in the kitchen, moving the wastebasket in front of him, as he got a cold cloth for his forehead and put on some coffee.

"How did you happen to get this drunk in 15 minutes?"

"I started before I left." 

"Jack, what's the deal with the drinking?  You're 15 years old.  It's not the greatest idea."

"You drink, sometimes.  I thought it helped."

A signal.  He needed something.  He needed help before he even left the house.  "It doesn't.  And, your mom and I were right here.  It amazes me that you're more willing to talk to a glass of whiskey than either of us."  He put the cloth on Jack's head.  "Now, what did you need help with?"

"I don't know, things are just, they're all messed up.  I grew up thinking I was one person and just found out I'm not."

"That happened to me, too."

"When?"

"When I learned I was Victor Lord's son, not Peter Manning's."

"That was a relief, right?"

Be careful, Manning.  "I am not sure it was a relief, but more like it explained a lot of things."

"About why he hurt you."

"Yep.  It didn't excuse it, but it gave me understanding."

"Dad?"

"Yes."

"The room is going around.  Is that normal?"  Jack heaved into the trashcan.  Blair walked in.  

"What's going on, you two?  Jack, what's wrong?"  She rushed over, patting his back.

"It's okay, Blair, Jack and I are just talking,"  he said.  She looked at her husband's face and read it.  

"I'm going back upstairs before all this sick makes me sick too."  She left them alone, after kissing her man on the lips lightly, and squeezing his hand.

"Jack, you all right?" Todd asked.

"You know, I actually feel better after puking.  How does that work?"

"It just does.  Now, let's get you upstairs and to bed.  Tomorrow is another day, we'll be talking more about this.  Right now, none of it will stick."  He helped his son off the chair, steadying him, and leading him to the staircase.

"Dad, I still can't believe how tough you are."

Todd smiled, despite everything.  "I'm not so tough."

"You are, you just, bam!  Headbutt.  Badass."

"Maybe, but it's not pretty how I got that way.  Now, let's go.  Walk."  It took them several minutes to get up the stairs, and Todd led Jack to his bedroom, where Jack promptly fell onto the bed and was out.  Todd turned him on his side in case of more heaving, and left a trash can by the bed, putting the cool towel on his son's forehead.  He moved Jack's hair back from his face, seeing Blair's sleep expression, and he made a halfhearted single laugh.

He made his way to their room, and she was wide awake, waiting for him.  "Hi."

"Hi, Blair." 

"Is he okay?"

"He will be.  I'll finish with him tomorrow.  He needs help, and as much as we care for him, he needs Ray.  Ray will know what to do."

She snuggled next to him, as he climbed into bed, shirtless and with his pajama bottoms.  She traced a heart on his chest.  "Can you see that?"

"See what?"

"Look at what I am tracing."

"I don't know, do it again," he whispered.  She indulged him, looking up at his face with her green eyes very wide and accepting.  For a moment, he flashed on her next to him in a different time, in the same room, in the same position, on the bed with baby Starr, after Ireland, looking at him almost the same way.  "A heart."

"Yep.  The big one you have right there."

"Don't tell anyone.  Our secret."  He leaned down to kiss her.

"You really love Ray, don't you."

"I don't know, is love the word?  I respect him, I appreciate everything he has done.  I know he'll take care of my son."

"And you consider him your friend, whether or not you want to say so."

"Maybe."  He gave her the side glance.

"You're a wonderful, loving father."

He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her closer.  She put one leg over him to get herself closer.  She rested her head on his chest, so that she could hear his heart beating.  He didn't know what to say to her then about what happened, but he was certain he'd skip the headbutt.  
     
*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

2 comments:

  1. wonderful wonderful story keep up the good work i cant wait for tomorrow!!! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the comments. I really appreciate you reading! Sorry I don't get around to commenting on comments more often.

    ReplyDelete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!