WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Shadows Fall: Chapter 4

"Todd. It's been quite some time. I've heard from Viki what you have gone through recently. I was very sorry to hear about your misfortune." Andrew said, extending his hand.

"Thank you, Andrew. I appreciate you coming along, though I am not sure what my sister has up her sleeve this time."

Viki widened her eyes at Todd. "Oh, never you mind.  Andrew, we need your help. Todd wants to make this wedding to Blair special, and requires assistance with using St. James as they did back in 1995. You officiated, if you recall."

"Of course I recall. In fact, it was very sad. Two days following, you vanished. In Ireland. Of course, this was well before you duped Tea DelGado into believing you had a mental disorder.  I am assuming all is forgiven for those things?"

"So much water under the bridge," Todd said, "So many things have gone by. I've changed, at least, as much as I can imagine ever changing. All I want is my family and my life back."

Andrew stopped, staring into Todd's face. He means this. "Well, let's see what we can do here. I've called Father McFadden and he is expecting us."

Knocking on the office of the vestry, the three of them stood, waiting. When it opened, Todd saw a portly, older man, without much hair, in a black cossack and collar. "Ah, Mrs. Banks, please come in.  Reverend.  And who is this gentleman?"

"Hello, Father," Viki said, "This is my brother, Todd Manning."

The clergyman stopped short.  His face was spotted with recognition. He extended his hand half-heartedly.  "Well, hello."

Todd took the hand and shook it. "Good afternoon. Thank you for taking the time to see us."

"You're welcome. Please, have a seat, all of you."

Viki began and elaborate explanation of their reason for being there. Todd said nothing; he had a feeling in the pit of his stomach that something was not going to be right with this request they were about to make. Andrew interjected here and there about the history of the couple and the odds they had faced and beaten.

Father McFadden looked toward Todd. "I am genuinely sorry for the perils you have faced, Mr. Manning, but you must understand why I cannot grant your request." All three of them looked to him as he stood up and walked to the desk. "I cannot allow something like this. First, Mr. Manning, you are not a parishoner here. Are you Episcopalian?"

"No, I'm not."

"Are you a Christian?"

"I...I don't know."

"Hmm. Second, I have read many things about you and your past, Mr. Manning. I am afraid that I cannot oblige this request. Mrs. Banks, I certainly hope that you are understanding of where I am coming from in this matter."

Viki waited a moment, gathering her thoughts, "Frankly, Father, I don't. Isn't our religion about forgiveness? Love one another as I have loved you?"

Andrew opened his mouth to begin to speak, and the priest stopped him. "Reverend, you no longer are employed by this diocese. Additionally, I must stick to what I believe to be the truth, and that is, a non-believer and a possible atheist does not belong marrying here, whether or not he has 'changed' or 'beat the odds.' Good day."

He shuffled some papers on his desk. Todd didn't wait, he got up and walked out. Viki and Andrew sat a moment, as if shell-shocked. Finally, they followed Todd into the parking lot.

Viki approached her brother. "I'm sorry, Todd. I thought maybe I could do something. But I warned you about this, Father McFadden is a stickler."

Todd didn't respond. Instead, he leaned against the limousine and rubbed his forehead. He looked up at the two of them. "I guess some things really don't change, no matter what?"

Andrew said, "Yes, I'd say that's true. But you can't give up. We can think of something else, possibly go to another church and try again."

Todd shook his head, "It makes no sense to do that. I mean, I came here for Blair. I wanted her to have everything perfect."

Viki put her hand on his shoulder. Andrew folded his arms. The mid-October air was crisp and fresh and a small breeze blew. The sky was seamless with not a cloud visible. "Todd, where did you meet Blair."

Todd looked up and lost his train of thought. "I met her at Rodi's. That's why we're having the rehearsal dinner there. Maybe I can talk to John..."

"You once said to her that you believed that you really met her somewhere else. Do you remember that?"

"Of course. I met her at Rodi's but I first really met her and saw her for who she was in the park. We had a great conversation and she told me....when we were at the cabin last month, she told me that I made her feel like she was finally not alone."

Viki was noticeably touched. "That's precious. You're so fortunate, Todd, and I hope you see that."

"I do.  Sometimes."

Andrew spoke, "Why not have the wedding there, where you first 'met?'"

Todd perked up. "Rev, that's a great idea. In fact, that's one of the greatest ideas I believe you've had."

"You don't know any of my ideas, Todd."

"Well I know this one, and I'm pretty sure it's one of the best. I mean, being a Reverend and all, you can't lead too much of an exciting life."

Andrew rolled his eyes, "Stop while you're ahead."

Viki spoke up. "We can rent chairs, set them up like a chapel. We can have an archway, decorations, flowers, and with the leaves turning colors already, it might be very lovely, Todd. God will be watching you both, regardless."

He smiled. "Do you think she'll like this?"

Andrew put a hand on Todd's shoulder. I am positive she will like this. She will love it because she loves you. If anyone ever had a doubt about the two of you, it must be at rest now."

He nodded. "Then, let's get started."

***

Blair and Starr came in the doors of La Boulaie bustling with excitement and noise. Addie was on the couch in the living room, reading a bridal magazine. "Oh you're home, what happened?"

"Well, it's done. They're making a replica of the dress, only I changed a few little details."

Starr spoke up, "Oh, Grandma, wait until you see the fabric. It's going to be so gorgeous."

"Well, I am so glad this got solved. Now, Blair, what else? Did you get the groom a present?"

Blair fell to the couch. "I quit."

"Oh that's easy, come on, you've gotten this far."

"What do you get for a man who is a multimillionaire?"

"I think that's rather obvious," Addie said, smirking.

"Momma! He's already getting that."

"Sing to him, Blair. He loves your singing."

She thought. "Momma, that's perfect," she said, wistfully recalling the nights she sang to him when he woke from his bad dreams.

"Now did you know that a bride is lucky if she wears old shoes?" Addie said, turning back to the magazine.

"Forget it." Starr and Blair both said.

Todd walked through the door, putting his car keys on the table in the foyer of La Boulaie. "I'm back."

She ran to him, "Oh Todd, I missed you."

"I was gone for three hours."

"I know. I just missed you." She kissed him playfully, as they went into the living room.

Addie said, "Hello, Todd. Did you know that there are 26,000 weddings every day in China?"

He scrunched his face in confusion and said, "Well, how are the plans going around here. My end seems to be working out just nicely."

Blair looked at Starr, "Us too."

"Great, then everyone out of here."

Blair started to go, and he said, "No, not you, everyone else. Sorry, we have to talk."

Addie and Starr took their leave, Starr rolling her eyes on the way out. "I guess he didn't change all THAT much, grandma."

"What about the old shoes idea? She may need them." He closed the door after them.

"Hi, Blair."

"Hi." she said, falling into is arms. Their kiss was passionate, and she had to step back from him to keep it from developing further. "What's up? You wanted to talk to me?"

"Yeah. I think one area of our plans has to include your input. I'm nervous about getting it wrong."

"All right. What is it?"

"The honeymoon."

"What about it?"

"We've never had one. We've had 3 Weddings, and 3 bad not-Weddings, and never had a honeymoon. One was never even planned. This time, I really want everything to be perfect for you. A real honeymoon."

"Okay, that's great. So, where to?"

"Right, Where To?"

"I've always wanted to see Europe. Maybe we can go there."

"All right, what destination?"

"Greece, it sounds so romantic."

He folded his arms, "One word. Zeus Zelenko."

"That's two words, and never mind. How about London?"

"Kevin?"

"Oh."

"I was thinking maybe somewhere in the US, like maybe we could take in some football and take our honeymoon in Texas."

"Texas? I ran down Luna there."

"Oh yeah, that's right. And don't bring up Paris, France either. Dorian loves that place, she names her house a French word. And, Adriana's there....and the Tomas DelGado thing. Didn't you meet him there?"

"I never said Paris. Though, it was the next word I was going to say." She thought, "well you like it sunny and warm."

"Please, no island in the South Pacific," he said. "I've had enough crabs in my lifetime."

She looked at him. "Back to Europe? What about Morrocco?"

"Yeah, if you like prisons with chalk drawings of Dorian Lord."

"What's left? I know! Ireland!"

"Blair!" he admonished, "YOU'VE Got To Be Kidding. How about Spain?"

"Do the words DelGado and DelGado remind you of anything?"

"I guess that rules out Puerto Rico."

"Oh, now, I don't know! How about a secluded cabin in like upstate New York or something."

He sighed, "My mother's cabin. I kidnapped Rebecca and ran away with her there."

She stopped, "I think we were better off there than in Puerto Rico."

He took her hand, "How about Key West?"

She smiled. "We started there, but I also lied to you there."

"I know. Forgotten, forgiven. It was left behind a long time ago. But it's just a reminder that we've come full circle and that nothing will come between us again. You're forgetting that I proposed to you in 1995 while flying over that place."

"I didn't forget. How could I? I loved you so much that night."

"And now?"

"Now, it's so strange, I can remember you giving me that gorgeous emerald ring and me thinking I could never love you more. And I was wrong. I just love you so impossibly much. You're my hero now. You're my protector. You're just about eveything to me, and my best friend."

"I'm your only friend."

"You are all I need, Mr. Manning." She leaned forward to kiss him. He took her face in his hands and held her mouth close to his. Taking her top lip with his, he smoothed the skin under her ears on her neck with his thumbs, then separated from her mouth and kissed her neck in her favorite place.

He looked up at her, "Thank you."

She smiled, "For what?"

"For being mine. And for waiting for me."

"Waiting for you?"

"Yes. You had to wait for me to get well. And, in some strange way, you waited for me for eight years. You didn't fall in love with the right guy even once."

"That's because the right guy was not here." She took his earlobes in her fingers and rubbed them gently. "You're my mister right, every time."

He closed his eyes, then opened them and smiled at her. "Then, let's get married."

"Yes, let's."

"See you Saturday," he whispered.

"No way," she said, "you're not going anywhere that's not where I am."

"What about that tradition thing?"

"I can't, Todd. I can't let you out of my sight. I'll just think something bad will happen. I want to be around you, with you, and under you until the moment we go off to get wed."

"That's different. I thought people weren't supposed to see each other?"

"When have we ever been like other people?"

"All right, if that is what you want. After everything I have been through, I don't believe in bad luck or good luck anyway. I think we make our own luck,"  he said, "the shadows of the past will start falling away."

"That's not something you learned being in captivity, Todd. You said that almost 20 years ago at our wedding. The one with the gold balloons. You said, 'We make our own luck.' That was when the mirror broke."

"I never understood what it meant until now. Believe me. I'm going to make us lucky every day in every way I can."

He held her and she nuzzled her head into his chest.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!