WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Diamond in the Rough: Chapter 16

Todd waited for his son outside of Ray's office.  He sat on the bench in the hall, the same one that Blair had collapsed on months before, when she almost lost Ray.  It brought his mind to the funeral of his daughter, Sommer, and he thought all of it over, as if searching his mind for answers.  There were none.  Hatchmarks on the wall . . .

He shook himself loose of the memory flash, and turned his attention to the opening door.  "Hey, Jack."

"Hi Dad," the boy said, sitting next to him on the bench.  

Ray said, "This was a bit emotional for Jack.  He might need a breather."

Todd instinctively put a hand on his son's head.  "You okay?"

"Yeah."

"I know what always works for me after these kind of sessions."

"What?"

"McDonald's."  Jack laughed slightly, but Todd looked down and saw his son wringing his hands.  Blair does that.  

"Thanks, Ray."

"Jack's come to some good realizations about the alcohol, at least.  That's a step.  I gave him information to share with you about a teen group that's here.  Kids that have great amounts of stress, and have turned to substances.  Jack's gotten caught at a good time, at least he's not dependent on it. But," Ray turned to the boy and put a hand on his shoulder.  This caused Jack to look up.  "It could very well become that way if we don't get it under control now."

Jack looked back at his feet.  Todd said, "So, you like this teen group idea?"

"Yeah, kinda."

"All right.  I've been in group with Ray before," Todd said, thinking back to his days at Llanview Hospital in the 90s.  It was before he met Blair.  It had brought him to a lot of realizations about himself, back then.  Time had flown.  "They work."

"Okay, I'll see you then, Jack.  In fact, the group is just getting out," Ray said, consulting his watch.  "Next time, you can be a part of it."

As they walked together toward the main entrance and lobby, Jack stopped short, and Todd, following his eyes, saw what made him pause.  It was Jenna.

***

"Mom, is Jack going to be okay?"  Sam said.

"Yes, he will be okay,"  she assured.

"Mom, is he going to hate me more because I told Dad?"

She stopped her fussing over her Thanksgiving plans and took Sam on her lap.  "Now, what would make you say that?  Jack doesn't hate you."

"He does," the little boy said, and then started to cry, "he never wants to play with me anymore.  He hates me, Mom."

"No, I know he doesn't hate you, Little Man.  I know it."

Sam sniffled against her chest, and she wrapped her arms around him.  "You know you're my baby boy, right?"

"No.  Ray's the baby boy.  I'm just Sam."

"No, you're always my special baby boy.  You are always that to me,"  she gently rocked him to give him comfort.

"Mom, why is Jack drinking that stuff?  Is it good?"

"No.  It's bad.  Jack's just . . . trying to get the bad stuff in, to push other bad stuff out.  It's not right, and it's not good.  And you must never try it, okay?"

"I won't.  I'm no dummy.  Besides, Spiderman doesn't drink.  And Dad doesn't really either, except sometimes at parties."

Blair was amazed at how observant her son was.  Then, she flashed on a younger Todd, drunk at a local bar, and how he looked when she walked in the place to find him, ruminating about Victor Lord.  That was so long ago.  "Not much, no.  Your Dad is different.  He's . . . very strong."

"He is.  He picks up me without even saying 'ugh.'"

She laughed, and kissed the top of his head.  "Right.  And he's strong other ways."

Sam pulled away just enough to lock eyes with his mother, "I know, Mom.  He's the strongest.  I want to be like him when I grow up.  I want to save everyone."

Blair thought of the irony and purity of the comment and her eyes welled with tears.  "You'll be just as strong as he is.  Trust me."

***

"Jenna?"  Jack said, approaching her.

"Hi, Jack.  Well, I guess the news is out, huh?  I see a shrink.  And I'm in a group here."

"Well, don't feel so bad.  So do I and I will be in that group next week!"

She smiled, "At least I'll know someone."

"Yeah, me too.  I'm glad for that."

Todd purposely hung back, and watched the two of them as they walked toward the doors to outside together.  Jack was extremely taken with the girl; she was lost in his words.  My son's in love.  Finally, Jack realized what was going on, and as they got onto the walkway outside Mountainview, he turned.  "Dad?  Sorry."

"No problem, just didn't want to interrupt."

Jenna looked at Todd, and he recognized two things in her face:  curiosity and fear.  He said, "Jenna, how are you today?"

"Fine, Mr. Manning.  You?"

"Fine, thanks."  Todd shot a look at Jack that said, it's now or never.

"Jenna, I have to tell you something."  Jack said.  "I'm not a regular kid."

Todd laughed a little to himself, and she said, "I hope not!"

Jack laughed too, and then continued, "I'm . . . well, my family is rich.  And that's why we have that limo over there."

She looked at it, "I kinda figured."

"And that's why . . . well, my Dad, he wants to sponsor your art show, if you'll let him."

Her expression was priceless, and his son had given that to her.  Done deal.  They'll be an item by sundown.  

She said, "Oh, my God.  Mr. Manning?"

"Yeah, Jenna, I saw your sketch.  You're great.  I was thinking that my newspaper, The Sun, could back your art show and do an article on you and your family, to help bring your mom out?  Possibly lead us to her, or lead her back?  It was all Jack's idea."

She was elated, and almost lifted onto her toes.  "Yes!  I'd love it."  Then, she faded a bit.  "But I'd have to talk to my sister.  She's my guardian."

"All right, sounds good.  Here's my card, call the office when you guys are ready to talk."

For a moment, Todd detected disappointment in Jenna, but then the girl came back to life.  "Jack, I can't thank you enough."

Todd made himself scarce by going to the limo and getting in.

Jenna continued, "I can't believe you believe in me enough to ask your father."

"I do."

"I just . . . I don't know if Lynnette is going to go along with it."

"Why not?  Is it because of me?  Because of the things I did?"

"No, not you."

His eyes narrowed.  "My father?"

"Yes, I think so."

"People change.  He changed.  He suffered.  Trust me."

"I do.  But not sure she does.  You see . . . well, this is hard."

Jack read between the lines.  "Something bad happened to Lynnette, didn't it?"

Jenna nodded.  "It was my fault.  It's part of the reason I'm here.  I was supposed to be picked up at a certain time.  I was late.  She was waiting, on foot, we didn't have a car.  A man attacked her from behind.  She's never been the same since."  Her eyes misted over.

He found himself putting an arm around her shoulders, and pulling her to his chest.  Then, they let go, and he said, "I'm sorry that happened.  But how can it be your fault?"

"I ask that in my head, but not in my heart."

"I'm sorry."

"Me, too.  Anyway, I'm not sure she'll let me do this, not with your father involved.  She . . . has a thing against him."

Jack swallowed.  Somehow, he understood it.  "What about you?"

"I don't have anything against him.  He's been nothing but kind.  And he made you."

Jack smiled.  "Want a lift?"

"No, Lynnette is on her way.  She'll be here in a few.  I'll ask her about the art show, but I doubt it, Jack."

"All right."

"But thank you so much, and your father, too, for believing in my talent."

"It's easy.  Your work is great."

"Thanks.  See you at school."

"Yeah, see you," he said, looking into her green eyes, and for a moment, he toyed with the idea of kissing her, then stopped himself, and went to the limo.

As he was getting in, Todd said, "She's pretty.  Forgot to tell you."

"I know.  She really is.  And she's nice."

"She seems to be."  That was all they said about Jenna on that car ride.  Jack was glad.  He didn't have the heart to tell his father the real truth right then.  "Williams, hit the next Mickey D's, will ya?"

Jack looked at his father.  People do change.  No matter what anyone says, not everyone stays the same.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

2 comments:

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!