WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Port Charles Chronicles: Chapter 44


         Lucy was shocked to hear the Crimson offices were being taken over.  She looked at the contract in her hands.  This is it, Lucy, are you going to work for this man or not?  “I believe we have one more thing to iron out.”

        “And what would that be?” Todd waited for Lucy to elaborate.  It had been her idea to have a written contract between them.  Now he was curious to see if she would stick to it and make him sign it.

       Lucy squared her shoulders.  “I don’t officially work for you until this contract is signed and an amount to work for you has been agreed on.  As a sign of good faith, I brought you that lease and I’ve already contacted the Managing Editor of the Port Charles Press.  As we speak, a reporter should be on his way to the courthouse for Kate Howard’s trial.”

      “Well done Lucy.  You show him.”

       Lucy turned at the sound of the familiar voice.  Her eyes widened as she recognized the owner and where the owner had just exited from.  “Blair Cramer, what a delightful surprise,” she met Blair halfway across the room and the two women embraced. “ I didn’t know you were in Port Charles”  then in a whisper.“You never said your man was Todd Manning.”

       After hearing the comment, Blair smiled and whispered back. “That’s a long story.  I’ll catch you up on things later.”

       Todd watched the exchange and raised his eyebrow at Blair.  “You’ve been holding out on me.  You didn’t tell me you knew Lucy Coe personally.”

      “There are still a few things you don’t know about me, Todd.”  She only meant to tease him but saw the flash of something akin to sorrow flash across his face.  She realized he was thinking of the lost eight years and everything that he had missed in that time period.  She recalled Addie’s words.  “He needs to know what you’ve been through.”

       Todd knew he had let his guard down for just a minute when Blair began to move toward him.   Before she could reach him and bring his defenses down even further, he sidestepped her and walked to Lucy. Keep your mind on the present, Manning  “You’re right Blair.  Perhaps we can catch up later too.  Ms. Coe, I’ll look at that contract now,” he held out his hand, taking the papers from her. “The notary will be here soon.  Let’s see what you consider an adequate salary.”  For the second time in the space of a few minutes, he found himself surprised.  “I see you think very highly of yourself, perhaps you could tell me why you’re worth this amount.”

       “The way I see it, Mr. Manning, you’re going to be stepping on some pretty important shoes around here when you make your move.  One of whom is Sonny Corinthos.  He’s not going to take too kindly to your shutting down his fiancee’s business. I’m well acquainted with Sonny and I worked with him on many  Nurses’ Balls.  I’m also connected to the Quartermaines and ELQ through my late marriage to Alan Quartermaine.  You’re new to this town and it wouldn’t hurt to find a way to work with the movers and shakers in this town.  I can help with all of that, as well as handle your corporate officers.  One last point, my husband is one of Mac Scorpio’s friends and having seen your background, it might help you to have someone like me to act as a buffer with the law.”

      Todd laughed.  He had been so right about Lucy.  She was as flamboyant as Blair had said, but she was also smart.  He took another moment to read the rest of the contract.  She had put everything in it that he had offered her over the phone.  “From listening to you, I’m guessing this is ironclad.”  Lucy nodded.  “If I agree to your salary, you’ll sign and join Manning Enterprises as my Executive Assistant.” She nodded again. “Very well, you have a deal.”

       Blair sighed, “Lucy, you better be absolutely sure about what you’re getting into.  Todd is no picnic as an employer.”

      Lucy smiled benignly.  “Relax, Blair, I’m sure he’s no worse than Edward Quartermaine. and when I was married to Alan, I had Edward wrapped around my little finger.”

      Blair walked over and looped her arm into Todd’s.  She looked at Lucy.  “I can already see one problem with that assumption.  There will be no wrapping of Todd around your little finger unless you want to lose it.  Do I make myself clear?”

      Lucy laughed. “Absolutely.”

      Todd looked from one woman to the other.  He was always uncomfortable when he found himself the object of admiration.  He knew what he was and even though Blair loved him, he never got used to the idea that she found him desirable.  Wanting to change the subject he said.  “Blair, she just said something about a husband, I don’t think you need to worry.”

      “Oh, I’m not worried, but it’s always important to let other women know you’re unavailable.  I really don’t like to have to tear hair out if it isn’t necessary.” She kissed his cheek tenderly, in effect, staking her claim.

      There was a knock at the door, and Blair let go of Todd and opened it.  “You must be the notary, come in.”

       The next few minutes were spent finalizing the contract and getting it notarized.  Todd paid the notary and then handed the contract back to Lucy.  “Now that you’re officially in my employ I need you to make a copy of that contract and then I want the headquarters of Crimson cleared out by the end of the day.  Use what staff is available from Crimson to get it done, but by tomorrow, there will be workmen there for you to supervise.  I want Manning Enterprises up and running by the end of the week.  Also, notify the Managing Editor of the Port Charles Press to hold the presses.  I want a copy of the article about Kate Howard faxed here and  I’ll be in there later this afternoon to give them tomorrow’s front page.”

       Blair smiled at Lucy’s dumbfounded look.  “I warned you.  You’ve signed on with Simon Legree.”

       Lucy gathered her wits about her and smiled back ruefully.  “It looks like I have.  This is definitely going to be interesting.   Okay; Contract, Crimson, and Managing Editor, I've got it.  Will there be anything else today?”

     “No, that’s all for now.  I’ll see you at the Crimson offices tomorrow.”  Todd said.

      Lucy grabbed her bag and headed out to begin her day anew for the second time.  As the door closed behind her, she clutched her bag and her new contract.  “Well, Lucy, you wanted a challenge.  Something tells me you might have gotten more than you bargained for.”

****

      Johnny had gone to the trial to keep an eye on Kate and make sure everything was still buried in her subconscious.  For now, Kate was in charge and he knew she had confessed to killing Hope and Cole.  The big question was how the courts would look at the crime.  He was hoping they would be lenient since it had been proven that she was indeed mentally ill with DID.  He was sitting in the back of the courtroom when Starr Manning and Michael Corinthos walked in.

      Starr and Michael took their seats, up ahead of them, sat Michael’s father, Sonny.  He was currently talking to Kate and Alexis Davis.  The trial got underway and Starr listened as Alexis pleaded Kate’s case and showed the court proof of Kate’s illness.  She recalled her cousin Jessica’s illness and how Bess, Jessica’s Alter, had stolen Hope at birth.  Twice now, sufferer’s of DID had taken her child.  Because Kate pleaded guilty, the judge was ready to make a ruling regarding sentencing.  Starr stood up.

      “Excuse me.  I know this is sudden, but I would like to say something.”

      “Who are you?” the judge inquired.

      “My name is Starr Manning and it was my daughter and her father, who died in the accident.”

      Alexis was afraid that Starr was going to make matters worse for Kate. “Your honor, this is highly irregular.  Ms. Howard has already pleaded guilty.  All we’re asking for is leniency so that she may get the proper help for her illness.”

      Starr looked over at Alexis and Kate.  “You misunderstand me.  I’m not going to ask that she be put in jail.  It was my little girl who died and I know Ms. Howard never meant to hurt her.  I have family members who suffer from the same illness and I’m well aware of how devastating it is to all involved.  My daughter is dead, and putting Ms. Howard in jail will not bring her back.  It was an Alter who did this terrible thing and if she were real I would want her to pay for the harm she caused.  But there were actually three victims involved and the third one is Ms. Howard.  I can’t punish her for the sins of her Alter and I believe she should be allowed to get treatment.  There has been enough sadness and pain from this.”

      At Starr’s words, Alexis felt relief.  They had just been given a huge boost from a very unlikely source.  Hopefully, the judge would also see it that way.

      The judge sat quietly for a few minutes, then he said.  “I’ve made my decision.  Ms. Howard, please stand.  Crimes were committed by one person, one Connie Falconeri, but she is a product of a sick mind.  Ms. Manning has pleaded that Ms. Howard should be given therapy and help, not jail time.  If anyone would want justice, it is her.  I find myself moved by her plea more than anything else.  Ms. Howard, I sentence you to time served and order you to continue therapy for your illness.  It is my hope you’ll come out of all this a stronger woman.”

     “Your Honor, two people were killed and another assaulted by this woman.  Surely...”

      The prosecutor was silenced by the judge. “I’ve made my ruling.”  He looked across the courtroom at Starr.  “I, too, believe it is time for healing to begin.  Court is adjourned.”

       Sonny looked over at his son and the young woman who had tried to kill him for the death of her daughter.  He didn’t know what to say.  He had almost put her in jail for her actions and today she had stood up for his fiance.  He had misjudged the young woman and now owed her a debt of gratitude.  Before he could say anything, Starr turned and began to leave the courtroom.

      Starr just wanted to leave.  Her heart was heavy, but she knew that she had done the right thing.  She was almost out the door when she spotted Johnny Zacchara.  She frowned. Why was Johnny at Kate’s trial?  Before she could ask him, he skipped out another door.  He had seen her looking at him, she was sure of that. Why had he left so abruptly?  Michael came up next to her.

       “Starr, are you alright?”

       “I’m okay, did you see him?”

       “Did I see who?”

       “Johnny Zacchara.  He was here, watching the trial.  Why?  I thought he was trying to get back together with your mother.  Why was he here watching Kate?”

       “I don’t know, but we can ask him.  Where did he go?”

      “That’s just it.  As soon as he saw me looking at him, he just left.  Like he didn’t want to talk to me?”

       Now it was Michael’s turn to frown.  “He did that?  Now I really want to talk to him.  Something isn’t right.  He told mom, he never meant to hurt her and he knew Kate was sick but kept it to himself.  Now he’s at Kate’s trial and then there’s this thing with this Tomas or Alcazar character.  Come on, we’re going to go and find him.  I want some answers.”

****

      Blair turned around after closing the door behind Lucy.  She watched Todd as he began to pour himself a second cup of coffee. She noticed his hand begin to shake.  “Todd, you need to relax for a little while.  You’re still recovering.  You just came home from the hospital.  Maybe you’re trying to do too much.”  She walked over and put her hand on his.

      He took in a deep breath, and his hand stilled under hers. “Maybe?  But I’ve lost so much time.  I just feel I have to make up for it.”

      “I understand, but let’s take it a little slower.  Did you take your medicine?  Dr. Webber said you needed to continue to take it or malaria would come back.”

       “I forgot.  Listen, I’ll take it, but you promised me we would get in touch with the realtor.  I need to get out of the city for a while.  Let’s get the boys and we’ll take them to look at the house.”

       “Todd, you need to take baby steps with Jack. You haven’t even seen him yet.  I’m not sure that taking him to look at the house you want us all to live in, is a baby step.  Stay here, I’ll get your medicine and then we can talk more.”

        Todd looked down at the coffee in his hand and felt his stomach lurch.  Damn the man who did this to him.  Thanks to the wretch, he was plagued with an illness that had almost succeeded in killing him.  Once again he reached for his phone.  He had to talk to Dr. Collins.  If Lucy hadn’t arrived when she did, there was no telling if Irene would have reappeared.  He needed relief from her, he was using every distraction in the book to keep her in check, but she was still managing to appear when he was vulnerable.  Blair re-entered the room just as his call got through.  Damn it, an answering machine.  Probably for the best, Manning.  You don’t want to worry Blair.  “Yes, this is Todd Manning.  I’d like to make an appointment as soon as possible.  You can reach me at this number.”

        “Who was that?”

        “Nobody, just a contractor I need to talk to.  Give me those,” he opened his palm and Blair gave him the pills.  Swallowing them quickly he reached for a bottled water and took a swig. “There, are you satisfied?  Blair, I want to see Jack.  I know he hates my guts, but I have to find a way to break through to him.  When I was dying and found myself with Bitsy and the boys, they made me realize I’m not a lost cause.  Brendan loved me even though I would only have been a stepdad.  I know how deeply Jack loved Victor.  If he’ll just give me a chance, I think I can show him it’s not a betrayal to Victor’s memory, to let me be a part of his life.”

         Before Blair could say anything, Todd held up his hand. “And I know you’re about to say it’s more because I killed Victor.  I know that, but there just has to be a way around it.”

        “Todd, I wasn’t going to say that.  I told you earlier, I’m beginning to wonder about Victor’s death and your memories.  I’m not so sure anymore that you had anything to do with it, but my believing that and proving it are two different things.  Jack still has no real understanding of what you’ve been through.   For just a short while I thought he was coming around on the plane and he now knows Tomas’ part in your capture, but I think he’s clinging to a false image of Victor because Victor favored him over Starr.”

          “I don’t call bribing someone else to take the fall for his crime,  favoring Jack.”

          “No, I agree, but Jack did.  He finally had his father’s attention.  Then you appeared and suddenly Jack found himself caught between two fathers.  The one he knew and the one who had given him away.   He didn’t know how much you loved him because he was too little to remember.  He only knew the story of his birth.  Then Victor was killed.  You know how devastated he was and just as he was thawing towards you, John arrested you for a second time for Victor’s murder.  You were all the way back to square one.  Please, Todd, we’re not going anywhere.  I brought the boys here because I know you need them.  Sam already loves you.  Jack will come around.”

        Todd dropped onto the sofa.  He shoved his hands through his hair and leaned his head back.  “When are the battles finally going to be over?”  When he had arrived home after freeing himself from Irene, he had really thought things would change but instead they had only gotten worse.  He angrily wiped his eyes as tears formed.  He was so tired of it all.

         Blair sat down next to him and drew him close.  “Soon, Todd, and you’re not alone anymore.  I’m here and we’re going to win this time and everyone better watch out because the Mannings are going to take Port Charles by storm and the city won’t know what hit them.


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

1 comment:

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!