WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Monday, January 21, 2013

Port Charles Chronicles: Chapter 47

     Starr and Michael arrived outside in time to see Johnny driving away in his car. “Well, what do we do now?” Starr looked at Michael.  She was frustrated.  In the last couple of days, she had almost lost her father, her brother had gotten her interested in his mystery with Tomas,  and she had just let the woman who was responsible for Hope’s death walk away without any real punishment.   Had her life always been this convoluted?  Stop kidding yourself, of course, it has.  You’re a Manning. Complications are a way of life.


    Michael spoke up. “We’ll go see if he went to the Haunted Star.  If he’s not there, we’ll try his apartment.”


    Starr nodded and together they walked to his car.  They arrived at the Haunted Star a few minutes later and boarded the boat.  There was construction going on, so they carefully made their way through to the staterooms and Johnny’s office.  As they approached the office they overheard Johnny talking on the phone.


    “Yes,  I’ll be there.  Everything is ready for you.  Believe me, this is one thing I’m anxious to complete.”  Johnny hung up.  Things at the courtroom had gone down as planned.  Kate had taken the blame for the deaths of Starr’s child and boyfriend.  The police suspected Heather Webber of killing his grandfather, and he was about to unload his ties to the mob to Alcazar.  “Maybe now you’ll be able to get a night’s sleep, Johnny.”


    “Why did you say that, Johnny?  Is your conscience bothering you about something?” Michael asked as he and Starr entered Johnny’s office.


    Johnny was startled by the question. He frowned at Michael, he knew Michael wasn’t fond of his relationship with Carly.  “No, things have been rather hectic around here trying to get this club finished.   I’ve just been stressing a little bit,  I guess.  Starr, it’s nice to see you, I hope you’re here to discuss your music career.  I’d like to get started on your song soon.”


    “Well, actually no.  I wanted to ask you a few questions.  First off, why were you at Kate’s hearing, if you don’t mind my asking?”


    Johnny paused before answering. “Look, I know it seemed strange to see me there, but I wanted to make sure Kate was going to get help.  I felt bad for using her to try and get even with Sonny.” He saw Michael’s face and stopped him first. “ Don’t start with me, Michael.  You know what your father did to me that night.  He told everyone about Claudia,  I had a right to be upset with him.  I’m just sorry Carly got hurt in the process and Kate, too.”


    Michael remembered Sonny letting the crowd know about Claudia actually being Johnny’s mother instead of his sister.  It had been unnecessary for his dad to humiliate Johnny that way, but it was what had started everything.  That was the same night Starr lost her daughter.  It seemed like the fallout from that night would never end.  “You’re right what my dad did was terrible, but you’re no saint, Johnny.  Mom and Kate did get caught in the aftermath.  Not to mention Starr’s daughter and her boyfriend.”  


    That statement hit Johnny in the gut. He flinched and turned to Starr.  “I know what this conflict between Sonny and I cost you, that’s why I want to help you.  I can’t bring your daughter back but I can help you get on with your life.  I explained all this when I offered to buy out your contract.  I saw what you did for Kate.  Will you let me help you?”


    Starr nodded, she could feel tears starting to form.  Come on Starr; you’re a Manning, You need to move on.  She reached up and brushed away her tears and took a deep breath. “I already agreed to it, Johnny.  I haven’t changed my mind.  I’m not quite ready to start the demo yet, what I’m really here for today is to ask you another question.  Do you know a guy named Tomas Delgado?”


    "No, I never heard of him.  Why do you ask?”


    “My brother said he saw you with him recently and I didn’t know he was in town,  He’s a friend of my mother’s but things between them have changed.  I needed to know if my brother was right, before saying anything to her.”


    “Well, I’m sorry I can’t be of much help.  I’ve never met your brother.  Are you sure he saw me with this Delgado guy?”


    “He’s sure it was you.”


    “I see, well I’m sorry I can’t help you.  I don’t know the guy.  Now if you excuse me, I have a meeting I need to get to.” Johnny turned back to his desk to gather the papers that would complete the transfer of control.


      Starr was disappointed, she started to go with Michael and decided to try one more thing. “You say you don’t know a Tomas Delgado, what about an Alcazar?” 


     Johnny’s hand paused over his papers. What the...Careful Johnny, don’t give anything away.  Alcazar didn’t want anyone to know he was in town.  Don’t let them see you're rattled.  He turned back to face Starr. “Well I know the name but I’ve never met with any Alcazars.  I was under the impression all of them were dead.  Why did you bring their name up?”


    “Because Tomas Delgado looks exactly like a guy named Lorenzo Alcazar?”


    Now Johnny was surprised. “Really.  Well, they say everyone has a doppelganger.  Sounds like your Tomas fits that bill.  Listen, we do need to start work on that CD but like I said I’m going to be late for a meeting.  This club will never be ready if I don’t get all the paperwork completed and approved.  Now if you two will excuse me.”  Johnny grabbed up his papers and walked out of his office.


****


    Jack was already setting up his laptop when Molly returned fully dressed.  “You said your mom got upset when you mentioned Alcazar’s name to her.   What do you think that was about?”


   “I don’t know.   Show me what you found out about him.”


     Jack opened the window on his computer that showed the information about Alcazar.  “See, this was Alcazar before he disappeared from here in  2007.  You saw the guy yesterday.  He looks like him, but older, right?”


     Molly looked at the picture.  “I can definitely see the resemblance and like you said, the man yesterday was older.  So you think the man we saw was this man.  But yesterday you thought it was your mom’s friend, Mr. Delgado.   Do you still think it was him after seeing this?”  


      “I still don’t know what to think.  I found this picture because I started looking into the mobsters that had any connection to Port Charles.  You gave me the idea when you told me that Zacchara guy was in the mob.  I forgot to tell you, when I saw Tomas the second time, he was talking to Johnny Zacchara.”


      “So you wondered why your mom’s friend was here in Port Charles talking to a guy associated with the mob?”


      “Exactly, Tomas Delgado was working for a rather shady organization when he took my father, over nine years ago.  Oh, he told my mom he was out of the business, but now I wonder.”


    “Do you have any pictures of Tomas Delgado you can compare to the ones of Lorenzo Alcazar.  You said he didn’t dress the way we saw the guy yesterday.”


    “Wait a minute.  There is one time he dressed real classy.  It was the night my father returned to us.  There were all sorts of coverage for the Premiere of “Vickerman”  I’ll bet I can find a picture of him.  Hold on.”  Jack google and located the red carpet video online. He minimized the window and put it beside the window with Alcazar’s picture.   They watched the vid and when it reached the spot where Tomas and his mother and sister were being interviewed, Jack paused the vid.


    “Wow!  You’re right they look like the same man.  What do you think this means?”


    “Molly, if Tomas is Lorenzo Alcazar then my  mom was dating a mobster and she doesn’t know it.   Everyone in Llanview thinks Tomas is this good guy who got framed by my father.  If he’s so good, what’s he up to with Zacchara?”


    “I don’t know.  Even if he is your mother’s friend, what can you do?”


    “I want to know what’s going on.  Look, in this article about Alcazar, they mention where he used to live.  Do you think he might have gone back to his old place in town?”


    “Possibly.  What are you thinking?”


    “I want to see more of Port Charles.  I think it would be real interesting to see the home of a known Gunrunner and mobster.  Are you game?”  Jack suddenly felt invigorated.  Tomas had left his father imprisoned for eight years and seemed to feel it was alright because he was sorry and had left that life.  Even if he still was uncertain of his feelings toward his dad, he felt he owed his dad to find out if Tomas wasn’t the good guy after all.  


    Molly felt a little thrill go through her at Jack’s suggestion.  It was an adventure of sorts. What harm is there?  It’s not like we’re doing anything really dangerous.  She spoke before she lost her nerve. “Sure, why not?  I’ll write my mom a note telling her I’m showing you the town.  We can also get a late lunch at Kelly’s.”


    A short time later, they headed into town.


****


    After his conversation with Calmar, Tomas decided he probably should give Tea a call.  He had an hour or so to fill before his meeting with Zacchara.  “Parajito, I was just calling to let you know I’m fine.  I’m sorry I left so abruptly and only managed to leave you a note.  An old friend of mine in the CIA asked me to help him out.  I know I promised to stay out of the business, but I owe this guy.”


    “Tomas, I don’t like it.  The last time you left like that we lost all contact with you.  Then you showed up here last year out of the blue.  I won’t lose you again.  I’ve lost too much recently.”


    “Who said you were going to lose me.  Really, this assignment isn’t dangerous.  I should be wrapping it up in a short time.  Don’t worry I’ll be home before you know it.” Tomas waited.  He could almost hear his sister’s brain working overtime trying to decide whether to believe him or not.  If she knew everything he was involved in and what he had done for Walker, she would have disowned him.  He hated that she believed her husband was dead but Walker was no good for her and he was glad the man had chosen to fake his own death.


    “Alright, do I really have any other choice. I’ll just have to wait till you finish whatever you’re doing.  It’s too quiet around here.  All I can think of is losing my son, and now you’re gone, too.  Blair and the boys disappeared to God Knows Where and Dani’s all but deserted me for her boyfriend.  I apologize, I’m just feeling sorry for myself.”


    “Are you telling me you don’t know where Blair is right now?  I’m surprised, I figured you two were pretty close.  Here I was hoping you could give me some news about her.  She’s not returning my calls.”


    “Tell me about it, my calls keep going to voicemail too.  Blair’s going to put herself first right now, I guess.  She’s been different ever since the verdict for Todd came down.  I hope she hasn’t changed her mind about him again.  She should stay as far away from him as she can.”


    Tomas didn’t like what he was hearing.  The last time he had seen Blair, he thought she was home to stay.  Then he found out she left town.  He thought she had just taken the boys on vacation, but he figured she would have kept in touch with Tea.  He didn’t like it.  She couldn’t have brought them here.  Damn it, if she’s hooked back up with Todd.  Don’t do that Tomas, Manning’s got to really be losing it by now.  “Listen, Tea, I’ve got to go.  I just wanted you to know I was alright.  I’ll try and keep in touch.”  


    “Tomas, before you go, you should know John McBain was trying to reach you.  He didn’t say what it was in reference to, but it wouldn’t hurt to give him a call if you can.  I love you, Tomas, take care and come home soon.”


    Tomas had managed to calm Tea, but her last words had him worried.  Why did McBain need to talk to him?  He glanced at his watch.   There wasn’t much time left before he went to his meeting.  “Tea, I’ll be careful, count on it.”  Tomas realized as he hung up, that he hadn’t checked on Todd since he shot him.  There had been nothing in the papers or the news.,  Could Todd have been cognizant enough to get medical help?  No way, he hates that.  There’s no way he’d be thinking clearly enough for that.  Perhaps he’s finally dead and the police are keeping the information under wraps.  That’s it, John’s calling to get my take on it.  He’ll be waiting a long while for that.  Calmar is supposed to make sure John thinks I’m on the other side of the planet and it’s going to stay that way.  He picked up his briefcase with everything needed to finalize the deal with Zacchara and got ready to leave.


****


    Jack and Molly strolled up outside the building housing Alcazar’s apartment.  They entered the first set of doors to find the second set locked.  


    “Now what, Jack?” Molly had never done anything like this before and she felt nervous but excited at the same time.


    Jack looked around and spotted the call boxes.  “Here, L. Alcazar, his name’s still on the box.  Apartment 8C.  I need to find out if he’s in there.  Watch.”  Before Molly could stop him Jack pushed the button.


    “Jack, what are you doing?” Molly said alarmed.  


    “Shh, just wait.” Jack’s heart was beating a mile a minute.  He jumped when a voice answered.


    “What is it?” 


    Jack said the first thing that came to mind.  “Pizza delivery for Mr. Clyde Barnes.”  He wanted to be able to hear a little more of the man’s voice.  He had picked another name on the call box several floors below Alcazar’s.


    “You’ve got the wrong apartment, kid.” Tomas looked at his watch.  He needed to leave.


    “Ah, geez, Mister, have a heart. Can you, at least, ring me in?”  Jack couldn’t believe what he was hearing.  


    “Sure kid, I’ll ring you in.  I’ve got to be someplace, be more careful next time.”


    Molly looked at Jack with awe. “You did it.  He rang us in. Now what?”


    “It’s him, Molly.  That’s Tomas’ voice.  He said he had to be someplace.  Let’s hide and  get a good look at him when he leaves.”


    They left the building and Jack pulled Molly behind some bushes where they could keep an eye on the entrance.  


    “I can’t believe we’re doing this.  If you see him up close, what are you going to do then?”


    Jack pulled his phone out.  “I’m going to get his picture, for one.  Shh, here he comes.” Jack’s hand was shaking as he took several pictures of  Alcazar and the building.  Alcazar or Tomas paced back and forth for a short while.  Jack couldn’t get over how different Tomas looked here, compared to when he wandered around Llanview.  Then a Limo pulled up in front of him.  They watched as he got in and left.  “Come on!” Jack snatched Molly’s hand and pulled her behind him, at the same time he hailed a cab.


     “What are we doing?” Molly said breathlessly.


      “Just get in.  Hey Mister, do you see that Limo up ahead?  Follow that car. “ Jack sat down next to Molly.  


      The driver looked back surprised. “What did you say?”


      “I said, follow that car.  Hurry, before you lose it!”


      The driver laughed. “Kid, you just made my day.  I’ve been driving cabs for forty years and I’ve always wanted someone to say those words to me.  Hang on.  This is going to be fun.”




*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

1 comment:

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!