WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Diamond in the Rough: Chapter 17

"Do you know where we're going?  We're going to The Sun.  That's right.  The Sun!  Your Daddy and I are going to work, and you're going with us," she said, looking into the baby's face and making him smile.  "God, Todd, it's so easy to make him laugh."

"That voice you use has to do it."

"Stop, now.  Are we forgetting anything?"

"Anything we forget, Ramon can go out and buy."

"True.  Is Devon on?"

"Yep.  All's safe," he said, putting his hand on the back of her head.  

She smiled, wistfully.  "I know.  But, my biggest hero is going to be there with me."

"Let's get into the copter, I'll strap you both in."

"All right," she said, kissing the baby's forehead, and climbing in to the helicopter.  Todd strapped her in, then placed Ray's carrier in the seat and strapped it in, pulling on all of the belts to be sure it was secure.  

"Does that meet your approval, Mommy?"

"Yes.  Thanks.  We're ready to go!"

They arrived a short time later at the Manning Building, and soon, they were back in their old digs, the baby at the nursery, and the two of them in Todd's office, going through some material for the next edition.  He said, "About Jenna, we have to get her and her sister in here for an interview.  Stuff we can put into the article."

"Good idea.  Can I call her?"  Blair offered.  "IT's been a few days since Jack admitted he's wealthy."

"Yeah, why not?"

"All right, I'll go do that while you be the mogul you are.  My man, I love you," she said, in her short lavender skirt and suit jacket.  She bent over him, as he sat at his desk, and kissed him.

"I love you.  Now get that call done so we can move on to the rest of this."

Blair went to the other desk in the office, and picked up the receiver.  Dialing the number he handed her, she got a woman's voice on the other end.  "Hello?"

"Hello, Lynnette?  This is Blair Manning, from The Sun."

"Blair Manning?  You're Todd Manning's wife, right?"

"Yes.  I am."

"I've heard a lot about you.  Both of you."

"Thank you, same here.  Lynnette, I wanted to ask if you'd come in and talk with us, with Jenna, for an interview.  Maybe you could have lunch with us and we could talk about the art show.  Maybe some things to add to the article Todd wants to do?"

"I've not agreed to any of that, Mrs. Manning.  I am willing to bring Jenna there, but I must let you know, it's only because she so badly wants me to."

Blair was not expecting the woman's response.  She just forged ahead, "How about noon?"

"We'll see you then.  But I promise nothing," and hung up.  

Blair held the receiver a moment, then turned to Todd.  "Done," she called out, sitting back for a minute.  "Todd?"

"Yeah?"

"She was . . . cold."

"Not sure what you mean."

"She was sort of, like, against the idea.  Not what I expected.  She clearly wasn't gracious."

"I'm sure we'll figure it out when we meet her."  He looked over to her, busy with some paperwork.   "Good job.  Check this layout for me, will you?"

They puttered around the office for a few hours, looking at mock ups and talking through ideas for other stories to follow, when Ramon announced Lynnette and Jenna's arrival.  "It's already noon?"  she said.  "We forgot to order lunch for them!"

"I'll get on that."  Todd said, going to Ramon's smaller office outside his.  He crossed paths with Jenna and her sister on her way in.   He said, "Hey, Jenna.  Welcome.  You must be Lynnette."  He extended his hand.  She didn't accept.

Lynnette said, "Mr. Manning."  Her eyes were narrowed.

Jenna said, "Should we go inside?  Is Mrs. Manning there?  I so want to meet her."

"Sure," he said, "go right in," and he walked off, continuing to Ramon's desk.

They walked in, and surveyed the beautiful office, demonstrating appreciation for it.  Blair, standing, walked toward them.  She said, "Hi, I'm Blair," she extended her hand.

"I'm Jenna," the girl said, taking her hand.  She looked right into Blair's eyes and smiled.  "This is my sister, Lynnette.  She's my guardian."

"Good afternoon,"  Lynette said, taking Blair's hand.

"Nice to see you.  Well, we can get started with the planning if you'll just say yes, Miss . . .?"

"Lynette is fine.  I haven't said yes for a reason, Mrs. Manning."

"All right, what reason?"

"Your husband . . . is a rapist."

Jenna's face sank.  She looked as though someone had hit her, very hard in the gut.  She almost keeled over, but kept herself together.  Blair noticed the younger girl's discomfort and held her tongue...for the moment.  

Blair focused on Lynette's face.  "He was," her face emphasizing where it was needed.

Just then, to Blair's dismay and relief, for she felt both, Todd came back, with Little Ray in his arms.  He said, "Someone's in a good mood."

She said, "He's always in a good mood!"  She took him in her arms, and hugged him, and his little chubby face was against hers.  She said, "Meet Jenna, Little Man."

Jenna said, "Hi, Baby Boy, you're so sweet and happy!"

He took Jenna's hand, and said, "Da-da."

Todd watched the scene.  Jenna was taken with Ray; everyone usually was.  Lynnette said nothing.  He studied her expression.  She's not receptive.  Something's wrong.  

They doted on the baby, and the elder of the two young women said, "Mr. Manning?"

"Yeah?"  He responded, pushing his hands into his front pants pockets.

"Mr. Manning, I'm not going to lie to you.  I did some of my own research.  You . . . you raped someone."

"Is this what you came here to do?"  His expression changed, and Blair, who was hoping the subject would be dropped, stood close beside him.  "I mean, this is about your sister."

"No.  But I think you should know that I know what you are."  Her voice was strained.  He recognized it; her body language, her tone.  She was attacked.

"Lynnie!"  Jenna said, "Stop, please?"

"No, Jenna, it's all right."  His voice was tender, compassionate.  "Lynnette, I'm glad you know what I am, because I don't always.  To this day."

"What does that mean?"  She seemed alarmed.

"That means, I see myself as a lot of things.  Especially a rapist, even though it's been over for more than twenty years.  But my kids, and this woman next to me, see me differently.  I don't get it either, believe me."

She backed down a bit.  "I don't know what you expect."

"Yeah, I suppose you're right," he folded his arms.  "I don't know what you want me to say.  I couldn't explain everything to you if I tried.  Maybe it's not possible."

"I really planned on coming here to tell you that I am not going to accept your sponsorship of my sister's art show.  She's a minor, and she's not to be around the likes of you . . ."

She was interrupted by Blair, and her face said 'pissed.'  "Now wait a minute.  You come here, and act like some kind of judge?  You have no idea what this man has dealt with, and you have no idea who he is and what he's done for me and my children.  You can't begin to know how he's laid his life down for them and me, time and time again."

Lynnette said, without faltering, "What does that have to do with this?  I am sure he's done whatever it is he thinks will make things up to everyone.  That I can understand.  But it doesn't change the facts.  Does it?  He's caused someone undeniable pain."

Blair was not letting go.  Like a bear with her teeth into something, she was long from done.  She handed the baby to Jenna and asked her to step into the vestibule.  

When the teen was gone, she said, "You want to talk about pain?  Listen, chick, you have no idea who you're talking about here."  Todd lifted both eyebrows and sat back folding his arms.  Secretly, he loved when his woman defended him.  "That was more than two decades ago.  Don't you read the papers, or do you pick and choose what you read?  For that original crime, he was pardoned after he saved the life of the victim.  She forgave him.  Did you know that my husband was abused himself, tortured, cut and scarred, almost killed?  He risked his life to save us," she began to cry, "he traded himself for me and that beautiful baby and suffered terrible Hell.  He . . ."  She stopped herself short, and looked at Todd.

Todd said, "Hey, don't quit now, you're doing great."

Blair looked back to Lynnette, who appeared green.  Jenna came back into the room, without Ray, who she had brought to Ramon, who in turn took him to the nursery.  She looked at her sister and said, "Please, Lynnie.  Please, let's just go." 

"I . . . don't know what to say."  Lynnette was shaking, and her voice was tremulous.  "You . . . were . . ."  Her words trailed off, and she faltered on her feet, as if she was going to topple.  Blair reached out and grabbed her arm and lead her to the sofa.  

Todd didn't move.  He was not happy that Jenna seemed to have heard the truth.  The girl was crying.  He looked at her and said, "Hey, Jenna, everything is going to be all right."

Lynnette looked up, "Mr. Manning, I can't say I'll ever be accepting of what you've done.  I never thought that possibly the bad things you've done are in the past."  

He said, "You don't owe me anything.  Those things are in the past, for me.  But, I'm guessing they're not, for you."  She's a victim.  I've seen it before . . .

She didn't respond, except to put her forehead into her hand and cry, her shoulders shaking.  Blair immediately went to her side, and sitting down, she carefully touched the young woman's shoulder, and when there was no resistance, she embraced her around the shoulders.  "It's all right, you're safe.  I'm sorry for being so hard on you."

"I . . . feel . . ."

"You don't have to say anything," Todd said, still leaning against the desk.  Jenna was handed a tissue.

"I suppose I don't.  But I have to.  I want to say that  . . . I am sorry for your own victimization, Mr. Manning."  Lynnette said.

He nodded, "Thank you.  And I'm sorry for yours."

At his words, the dam broke and she was sobbing.  Blair continued to comfort her, until it subsided.  Lynnette said, "It's not that long ago.  And, I've done it, alone.  My mother's gone, and it's just us."
Jenna was shaking, and Todd said, "Hey, it's all right.  We're going to help, however we can."

Jenna said, "How did you know about my sister?"

"I just did."

Lynnette stopped crying, and pulled herself together.  "Mrs. Manning, I told my sister people don't change.  From your defense of your husband, I realize I might be wrong.  About a lot of things."

Blair answered, "You're not wrong as much as hurt, angry.  Maybe we can help.  I just love my husband, and I know he's not perfect, and he's made mistakes.  But some are not without reason, and he's paid."

Todd, listening, looked at Blair, "You finished over there, Tammy Wynette?"

Blair said, "Well, yeah, I guess.  Lynette, I am just so tired of people judging him all the time.  And, I didn't know about you.  I'm very sorry for what you went through, and if you want to talk about it, I am a good listener."

"Actually, in truth, it is amazing to see two people . . . so in love, I guess is the best way to say it.  Almost like love can really make a difference."

"Someday, when you're not dealing with so much, I'll fill you in on just what it can do," Todd heard himself say.

"We're so sorry, honey."  Blair moved her hair back, patted her shoulder.  The young woman, though a stranger to them, seemed to want to cling to Blair and made no attempt to move away.  In fact, she had leaned toward her, and her posture wasn't guarded anymore.  

"I  guess I reacted in response to what happened to me, as much as anything else,"  Lynnette said, sniffling.  

Todd said,  "Don't think another thought about it.  We have an art show to discuss.  I can promise you, you have nothing to fear for your sister.  My life has taken so many turns since those days.  I am not proud of my past, but I am proud of my family and what I've tried to establish."

Lynnette didn't respond to him, except with a softened look that culminated in a small smile.  Blair was proud of him; he didn't hesitate to get the conversation in a different direction as soon as he had the chance.  

He said, "Okay, great.  First, let's get some information on you to put out in the paper regarding finding your mother."

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!