WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Devil You Know: Chapter 31


It was the late the next afternoon when Todd’s phone buzzed.  He hit the intercom and said, “Whatever it is, I don’t want to hear it.”

“It’s your sister, the one you actually like, on the line,” Maxie said.  Without waiting for a reply, she put the call through.

Todd rolled his eyes as he picked up the handset.  “What is it Viki?”

“You seem to have forgotten to do something,” his big sis chided him from Llanview.

After a moment, he replied, “No, I can’t think of anything I’ve forgotten.”

“You were supposed to call me when you got home from Chicago.  That was nearly a week ago, and I haven’t heard from you,” she said.

“Oh, you were serious about that.  Sorry, but it slipped my mind,” he told her.

“Right, like I believe that one,” Viki snarked.  She knew her brother and she had suspected that he had intentionally not called her back before Tina had phoned her last night.  That had concerned her.  Tina had informed her of what Blair had revealed about the trip and Viki had decided that she would initiate contact with him, since it was clear to her that he won’t do the same.  “Todd, you know now much I worry about you.  And you not calling me…”

“Look, I’m a big boy, I’m fine.”  Then his voice soften. “I’m sorry I didn’t call.  It’s just, I…”

“You what?” she asked, growing concerned. 

“I…I met up with Connie Bensoncroft,” he finally blurted out, trying to stall.

“Connie Bensoncroft?  Who’s she?”  Viki had a feeling he was evading, but she was also curious.

“She’s the bitch that got all of Peter’s money.  Money that really should have been mine,” he said.

Now Viki was rolling her eyes.  “Money, really?  I think you made out pretty good in that department, Todd.”

“Peter Manning basically stole a million dollars from the Lord trustees and I intend to get it back,” he said, his voice rising.  “And when I do, I’m setting up trust funds for Sam and Leo.”

Viki smiled into the phone.  “You always have been generous with your money Todd, so that doesn’t surprise me.  But do you think you’ll actually win a court battle?  It’s been nearly twenty years.”

“Yeah and look at all I’ve gone through in that time.  Sorry if it just occurred to me.”  He looked at his watch.  “Look, Viki, it’s been fun chatting, but I have to get home.  We’re wining and dining the chair of the Nurses’ Ball and I need a drink cause Tina’s also gonna be there.”

“Wait, did anything else happen on your trip?” she asked, trying to stay on the line.

“No, why would you think anything else happened?” 

She sighed, deciding to let it go, for now.  “Nothing, but please, call me before I come up.  I just want to hear from you now and again.”

“Yeah, sure, whatever,” he harrumphed. 

“I love you, even if you are the most stubborn man I know.”

“Love you too.”  With that he ended the call and headed out the door.  He returned to a near empty house, with only Reginald there, setting the table. 

“Hey boss, is there any way I can get off work tonight?” the butler asked.

“That scared of my sister, are you?” Todd asked as he fixed himself a drink.

“Well, that and Lucy Coe.  Don’t get me wrong, Lucy a great person, but it just…the combination,” Reg said.

“Sorry, if I have to sit through this, you do to.  But look at it this way,” Todd said before taking another sip.  “At least the chief mother hen is safely back in her coop.”

He sat down on the couch as Reginald moved off to do continue work.  He was there a few minutes when Blair swept into the room.  “Hey, when did you get home?” she asked.

“Just now.  Needed a drink before this thing started,” he indicated with a shake of his glass.  She sat down after getting herself something and kissed him full on the lips.  He smiled as she pulled back.  “Reginald is scared for tonight.”

“Reginald had to deal with the Quartermaines.  I can’t think anything we throw at him will me worse then them,” came Blair’s reply.

“Well, you know, Tina…”

“Yes, I admit, I’ve had issues with her over the years, but I think we’ve finally reached a détente and I’m sure she’ll be fine tonight.,” Blair said.

“Are you two going to start braiding each other’s hair now that your former BFF is back in Llnaview?” Todd asked.  It was a scary thought to him of Blair and Tea being friends.  It was scarier still to think of that relationship for Blair and Tina.

Blair was giving him a side-eyed expression when the doorbell rang.  She was about to go for the door when Reginald appeared.  “I got it,” he said.  Then, in a low voice her added, “Please be Lucy, please be Lucy,” as he opened the door.  Stand outside was Lucy Coe and Kevin Collins.  The butler looked skyward and mouthed a thank you to anything that would listen.

Lucy looked perplexedly as she came in, but made no comment.  “Blair, so lovely to see you again.  And Todd, always a pleasure.”  She stepped to the side and gestured to her husband.  “Allow me to introduce my husband, Dr. Kevin Collins.  Kevin, this is Todd Manning and his fiancée, Blair.”

“Nice to meet you.  Lucy has been able to stop talking about how generous you’ve been to the Nurse’ Ball,” Kevin replied.      

“It’s lovely to meet you,” Blair offered as the doorbell rang again.  The four stood in the foyer waiting for Reginald to return and answer it, but on the third ringing, Todd finally realized that the butler had gone into hiding. 

“Hold on,” he said as he walked over to the door.  Sure enough, across the threshold was Tina and Cord.  Todd didn’t offer a word of greeting, only moved out of the way as they entered. 

Blair smirked at Todd and did the introductions.  Tina was her usual effusive self and Cord politely shook Kevin and Lucy’s hands.  Since dinner wasn’t ready, the party moved into the living room for drinks. 

When there, Cord snapped his fingers.  “Now I remember where I saw you.  You were at Edward Quartermaine’s funeral Monday.”

“Yes, we were.  I just had to go and pay my respects to him, since he was my father-in-law at one time,” Lucy explained.

“He was?” Tina asked, a bit confused.

“Yes, I was married to his son, Dr. Alan, for a short while.  And despite the fact that we got divorced, I still felt so close to Edward and his late wife, Lila,” Lucy said.

“Yeah, it was a real showing.  Adam Chandler was there and Nina Cortlandt, too,” Cord told Todd and Blair.  “Since my father couldn’t be here, Tina and I came as representatives of Buchanan Enterprises and the Lord family.”

With a surreptitious glance to Blair, Tina added, “Yes, my father, well, Todd’s and my father, had business dealings with Uncle Ed…Mr. Quartermaine in the past.  And if things had worked out differently, we” she pointed to her brother, “may have been raised as Quartermaines.”

“Really?” Lucy asked her curiosity piqued. 

“Yes, we learned recently that Mr. and Mrs. Quartermaine helped out our mother when she was pregnant with Todd and his twin brother and even caught their son’s eye,” Tina elaborated.

“Yeah, that’s what Edward said at least,” Todd put in, hurriedly.  “Tina, can I have a word?”  He got up and grabbed her by the arm.

“Well, Todd, whatever it is--” she called as he dragged her out of the room.

Cord made a move to go after them, but Blair shook her head and turned to Kevin, giving him a look.  Having been briefed by Lucy, he understood what she was trying to say.

In the dining room, Todd was livid.  “What the hell was that in there?  You really feel the need to bring up our screwed up family?  I’m trying to get away from that mess.  Don’t bring it up to strangers.”

“It was just conversation, Todd.  No need to act so rude,” she commented back at him. 

He grimaced at his sister.  “Look, just drop the personal stuff.  I don’t want any more people to know my business, okay?”  Then he looked back towards the living room.  “We’d better get back in there.  Even after all these years, I don’t trust Cord in the same room as Blair.” 

Tina seemed to perk up at that.  “You do have a point there,” she said as she walked past him.  Then she stopped and said, “Fine, I’ll drop it.  For you, little brother.”

Todd took a deep breath, relieved to have gotten Tina  off the topic and distracted.  He truly didn’t want anyone to know too much about him, but he also admitted that he was becoming scared.  Of what, though, he didn’t really know.



*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

1 comment:

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!