WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Friday, January 11, 2013

Diamond in the Rough: Chapter 22

At Capricorn, things were in motion.  All of Jenna's art was set up in the perimeter of the main room, and Blair had closed it for the evening to devote to Jenna's show.  Starr was there, already dressed in her evening gown for her musical performance, and she marveled at the job her parents had done.  She said, "Mom, this is beautiful."


Blair wore a red gown, knowing Todd would favor it, and it had sequins to bring the light to her.  Blair said, "You look beautiful, too, my darling daughter."


"Thanks.  I'm not even nervous, Mom."


"Well, that's a good thing," Blair said, and as she did, she happened to turn and see, walking in the door, her husband, in a black tuxedo with a red satin vest and open collar white shirt.  Her breath caught in her throat, audible enough for Starr to hear it.  


Starr said, "God, Mom.  What's it like?"


"What's what like?" She said, absentmindedly.  Her eyes were still fixed on her husband.


"To have that kind of connection to someone else."


"It's . . . it's beautiful, I can't explain.  I love him so much, Starr."


"The thing that gets me is that no matter what, it never gets old for you two."

Hearing her daughter's words, she wondered what it would be like if he did actually leave her, and she ended up making good on her threat.  It scared her.  File for divorce?  Is that what I said I'd do to him?


He stopped and stared at her as well, then started approaching them.  He said, "The two most gorgeous women in the world."


"And you.  Look at you."  Blair said.


Starr said, "Guys, I have to go and warm up, I'll see you later."  She kissed both their cheeks, one at a time.  


He said, "Think this is going to work?"


"Of course, you've done great."


"Couldn't have without my partner in crime."


"Who, little old me?"


"You know it's you."


"I'm glad we can commit crimes together again.  Oh, wait, I didn't exactly mean that," Blair smiled.


"Stop worrying, I won't do anything crazy.  I don't think."

She slapped his shoulder, and then took his arm.  They strolled around the room, surveying their work.  It was truly an amazing transformation from club to pseudo-art gallery, and Jenna's work was attractively haunting and at times, simply stunning.  Blair, with her head resting on Todd's shoulder as they stood studying the collection, said, "These are beautiful.  She's a talented young woman."  

"My son has taste."


She looked at him, proud to have her on his arm, covering her hand with his.  She said, "Still convinced you want to go it alone?"

He didn't answer because he didn't want to create a conflict and more, he wasn't sure he wanted to go it alone anymore.  In fact, he wasn't sure of what he should do about the situation in his head.  Maybe the answer will come to me.  Who knows?

They moved past the art to the buffet area, and Todd made some last minute adjustments with the caterer and then he said, "We're set.  Guests will arrive in like thirty minutes and we're good to go."  


***


At Unforgettable, Jack was getting dressed in his black suit.  He was excited to be going to the art show opening and happy to be seeing Jenna outside of school, again.  Standing in front of the mirror, Jack said, "This tie won't go straight," and pulled at it a moment, before getting lost in his own reflection.  "I look like him," he said. "I really do.  But I look like her, too, kind of."  He examined his face, "People say I have her smile.  Great, Jack Manning, you're talking to yourself."


He finally got the tie to fix, and flashed on the events of the past week.  He heard an unknown voice in his head:  Left in the crypt next to his dead father . . .  GiGi Morasco is dead, too, because of you . . .  When he shook it loose, he remembered his mother's voice calling his father in the cold air of four a.m.   He squeezed his eyes shut, and headed for his bathroom, and heaved.  Nothing came up; he realized he had not eaten since the night before, and had just about nothing to bring up.  A knock at the door interrupted him, and he struggled to get his strength back, to make the waves of dry heaving pass.  The door opened, and in walked Timothy.


"Jack, my boy, are you . . ."  he stopped.


"Ready?  Sure."  Jack said.  The older man looked at the toilet, with the seat fully up, and the boy's face, gray and ashen. 


Timothy said, "Are ya all right, Laddy?"


"I'm fine.  Just getting ready to go, is all."


"Do ya think your brother is going to be all right coming to this event?  He might get a case of the boredies."


"I've never heard of that one, but I'll bring my Ipad just in case.  He likes Angry Birds."


"Jack," Timothy began, "You don't look well.  I've not bothered ya, for a while now, and I know you're trying to be strong for your parents.  You don't want to let them down, especially your father."


"I won't let them down."


"I'm not saying you would.  But Lad, you can talk to me.  You can rely on me, whatever ya need. If there's something bothering ya, ask me.  I won't pass any judgement, no matter what it is."


"Why are you saying this stuff to me?"


"I just wanted ya to know.   Nothing to be defensive about."  Timothy said, putting a hand on the teen's shoulder, which to his surprise, he looked at and then flung off.  "Now, what's the matter, boy?  Ya don't usually respond that way to someone patting ya?"

"I'm sorry, I just, don't feel good."

"Do ya want to tell me, what's wrong?  I would listen.  Do ya want to stay home?"

He did.  He wanted to stay at Unforgettable and sleep, but instead, he said, "I can't miss this.  It's Jenna's big night."

"Ah, yes, the girl, Jenna.  The lass."


"Yeah."

"Jack, whatever it is, don't let it eat ya.  Your father suffers from that, and somehow ya inherited the practice.  Ya can't keep it in, boy, it just damages the insides."

"Thanks.  I'll be okay."  

Timothy had great doubts as they made their way to the copter with Sam tagging behind.  Perzno started the engine and the blades of the helicopter mussed their hair as they got in.  


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you very much! I seem to thrive on your comments! I appreciate them!

    ReplyDelete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!