WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Monday, July 8, 2013

Hope from the Ocean: 6

"I don't know if those leopard-skin boots are really you," Tina said to the elderly woman who was putting them on.

"Why not?  Am I too old?"  she bellowed.

"No, just, I don't know, they just don't seem to suit you.  You said you wanted them for a special event, a wedding?"

"Right."

"Uh, well, I just don't think it's the fashionable thing to do."

"Are you questioning my fashion sense?"

"Um, well . . ."

"You're supposed to help me try on shoes and get the size I need, not criticize my obviously trendy style."  She looked back into the mirror.  The knee-high boots were ridiculous on her small, shriveled frame.

"I just think . . ."

"Yes, what do you think, Tina?"  said a voice behind her.  It was her boss.

"Um, I think I'm in trouble?"

The boss nodded.

"Big trouble?"  Tina asked.

"This just is not working out, Tina.  You didn't even make it past the training period.  Please get your things and leave.  We don't discourage customers from purchases."

"But, I just wanted to prevent her from looking ridiculous at the wedding . . ."

"Ridiculous?  My word!"  The old woman said, and continued to model the boots.

Tina, tired and defeated, rolled her eyes and walked to the staff room to get her things.  "Back to the drawing board and Mr. Basque."

***

The plans for Hope Weekend were shaping up.  Sister Rebecca Katherine and her crew of nuns had everything organized.  As Friday afternoon rolled around, they prepped harder and faster for the event.  Addie, who was head of the previous-residents committee was there, lending a hand.  "Todd bought all this?"

"Yes, he did.  He told me to send him all the bills."

"It's looking great.  Look at the booths.  It looks so professional."  Addie said.

"Do ya have y'ar knitting?"

"I have a few blankets, sweaters and scarves, yes."

"That's perfect.  The more things the better."

"I want to thank you, Sister, for what you've done for my beautiful girl and for Todd."

"I've not done much but care.  That's about all, Dear."

"That isn't true.  Blair's told me everything you've meant to them."

"I appreciate it," the nun modestly said, "but in all, it's just nothing.  They've given me love as I have given them.  I feel like they are family."

"Well, with Timothy legally adopting Todd, they are."

"Oh yes, that's true.  And I am glad for it."  She looked up, and spotted Bea entering the room.  She was modestly dressed, in a skirt and top, and, as customary, she had on white socks and little tie shoes that gave her the appearance of being a child.   She was carrying a portfolio of her art.

The nun said, across the room, "Bea!"  The woman waved, and shyly looked down, walking toward them.  "Bea, I want ya to meet Addie.  She's Blair's mother."

Bea immediately handed her portfolio off to the nun, and hugged Addie, who reciprocated.  "I am glad to meet you, Bea.  Blair and Todd have told me so much about you."

Bitsy looked to Sister Rebecca Katherine, and pointing to her own throat, made a sign that seemed to request an explanation.  The nun said, "She wants ya to know that she can't talk."

"Oh, that's all right.  Nowadays, people talk way too much," Addie said, and within the last word of her sentence, she caught sights of Dorian, entering the room.  "Like I said, some people don't know when to be quiet."

Bea smiled, and Dorian approached the women.  The nun said, "Dorian, nice to see ya.  Did ya come to lend a hand."

"Yes, I did.  Actually, you'll be surprised as to who sent me."  Dorian said.  Then, she put out her hand, and took Bea's.  "Hello, I'm Dorian, I'm Blair's aunt."

Bea shook it and smiled, before taking her portfolio back from Sister Rebecca Katherine and heading over to her booth.  

Dorian said, "Such a dear thing."

"She's not a thing, Dorian, she's a person.  Now, who sent you?"  Addie admonished.

"Why, Todd, of course."

***

"Blair?" he bellowed, and threw his keys on the small table by the door at Unforgettable.

She came down the stairs, "Hi, my charming husband," she said, putting her arms around her neck.

"Hi," he said, and kissed her. 

She said, "Are you all right?  What happened?  I was a little worried."

"Nothing to worry about, Blair.  Everything is all right.  I went by The Sun for a while, got into my work.  Momma, she just had a tough morning."  

He handed Blair the note.  She read it, and looked up, saying, "She's dealing with guilt.  I would be, if it were me."

"I don't want her worried about it, but she is.  However, the up side is that she got herself together, and Ray asked me to send a car for her.  She went to St. Anne's for the Hope Weekend set up."

"That's great.  But are you okay?"

He looked into her green eyes, and said, "Yeah, I'm okay.  Don't worry about me.  How's my wife, and my little Peach?"

"Both are fine."

"Good.  That's what I like to hear."  He slipped his arms around her waist and pulled her close.

"Hey, I thought we were going to help set up at Hope Weekend?"

"I sent a representative."

"Oh, what did you do, get Shaun to go there?"

"No.  Dorian."

"Dorian?  She's your representative?"

"I never said I had taste."

"Oh, stop, you.  Did you. . . is Dorian really working for us?"

"Yep.  She's going to be the gallery manager."

"Are you kidding?"

"No.  Took your advice.  Can't beat 'em . . ."

"Join em?"  She had that look he recognized as the one she had given him when he first handed her a habit.  "But, Dorian?"

"Why not?  You made a good case for it."

"You continue to surprise me."

"Well, you'll be busy, and so will I, with the new baby soon, and the old one.  By the way, where is he?"

"He's upstairs.  He's in the playpen.  He's been reading all morning."

"Reading?  I know he's a genius, but . . ."

"He loves books.  He's already getting ready to be a publisher, like his Daddy."

"Sounds good.  Then we have the afternoon free?"

"Yep."

He gave her the side eye.  "So, what do you want to do, Mrs. Manning?"

"I can only think of one thing, Mr. Manning," and she led him up the staircase by the hand.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

2 comments:

  1. Loving the idea of Dorian on Team Manning even if she will always causing mischief.

    ReplyDelete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!