WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Hope from the Ocean: 9

The knock at Mr. Basque's door was accompanied by the cacophony of dog barks in different pitches.  He rolled his eyes, and opened the door.

There stood Tina, with three dogs on leashes.  One was a large Bernese Mountain Dog, one was a medium-sized mutt, and the last was a teeny black Pomeranian.  He looked from each of them back to Tina.  All three had quieted down and were sitting patiently at her request.  "Can I come in?"

"Eh, well, go ahead.  I hope they're trained."

She went past him, and all three dogs went with her.  "It didn't quite work out," she said.

"Let me guess, they fired you."

"No, I quit.  They said I was too petite for the dog catching business and wanted me to serve them their last meals.  I couldn't!  The next thing I new, I rescued these three and had to get out of there!"

He sat down at the desk.  The three dogs sat as well.  He said, "Too bad there's not a job for a dog sitter here, you seem to have a way with these pooches."

"I know.  But, let's get to the point.  I need a job, seriously."

"Well, back to the list.  Candy dipper seems to be coming up over and over."

"No, I don't think so."

"How about librarian?"

"Huh?"


"All right, Dance Instructor?"

"No, not good enough of a dancer."

"Cosmetologist?"

"Maybe!"

"Oh, wait, says a license required."

"Oh, well then, no."

"Visual Clearance Engineer."

"What's that?"

"Window washer."

"Uh, no."

"Look, the list is exhausted for the non-skilled positions.  I'm afraid you're out of luck."

One of the dogs barked.

"I appreciate what you've tried to do, Mr. Basque."  Tina said.

"Unless you're going to dip candy, there's not going to be a job today.  Why don't you come back in a week, or two.  Or a month.  Or maybe never."

She looked at him, flatly.  "Well, all right then," she got up.  All three dogs stood.  "Goodbye," she said, offering her hand.

He shook it.  "Now get those mangy things out of here."

She walked out the door and into the hallway.  "All right, boys, what do we do now?"

***

"What else do you think we need for this opening?"  Blair said, sitting on the edge of his desk as she always had.  

He enjoyed the vantage point of being able to look at her crossed knees.  "I don't know.  We have entertainment, food, champagne.  What else do we need?"

"I love the space you got for the gallery.  It's close to here and pretty convenient."

"I put Dorian on the decorating.  Figured with an open credit account she could do some pretty gorgeous damage."

"Well, you have that right."

"I just gave her the color scheme."

"You did?"

"I did."

"Okay, well, what was it?"

"I told her to go minimal and light with high-gloss floors.  She'll handle it."

"You're putting a lot of trust in her."

"Why not?  It's the gallery, not saving my life."

"Hmf.  It's just sort of, cool that you both are actually working together."

"Anything for my wife."

She leaned forward and kissed him.  "I love you, Todd."

"I love you, too, but get off my desk, will ya?  I keep getting distracted by this."  He traced her knee with his fingers lightly.  

For her, his touch was electric, like some energy went through her whenever she felt it.  She got up, and walked across the room.  "The baby is next door with Ramon.  I'll go back and take a shift."

"Huh?  Where's Gloria, or whatever her name was?"

"Genevieve?  She'd been out sick for a week.  Then she told Ramon she had to quit because she's pregnant herself."

"Wow, okay.  We should have a back up.  Ramon's a nice guy, but not the nanny I had in mind."

"Yeah, like a substitute or something."

"Well, let me think about it.  Has to be someone we can trust.  It took a lot finding her."

The doors to the office burst open, and in walked Tina with the three dogs.  Todd raised an eyebrow, then went back to his paperwork, and Blair went to the animals and greeted them.  Then he looked up, "Tina?  What's going on?"

"It's a long story.  Anyone want a dog?"

"A dog could be good for the kids, Todd.  What do you think of this one?"  Blair was petting the Bernese.  

"I don't know, but not that little one.  It's more like a cat.  I like the mixed up one.  He's confused,"  he looked back to the papers on his desk, "He'll fit right in with this family.  Or the big one, I don't care.  Whatever you want, Babe."

"I don't know.  But, I think it's good for the kids to have a dog.  It might help us, you know, protect us?"

"Blair, it's going to be all right.  We don't need protection.  We have Shaun, alarms, and we're okay."

"Extra can't hurt."

"You're stuck on the big one, huh?"  He asked.

"He's so sweet, look at him, Todd."

"He's bigger than Sam, Blair."

"I think he is, I didn't think of that."  She went to the mixed-breed dog, who immediately chased his tail and licked her hand.  "He's trying to win me over!"

"That's good, Blair."  Todd sounded distracted, at best, while reviewing financial documents from The Diamond Gallery's set-up costs.

Tina said, "Well, if you take one, that only leaves two.  I'll probably keep Beanie."

"Beanie?"  Todd repeated.

"The little one.  He looks like a little coffee bean."

He rolled his eyes to the ceiling.  "Sure.  Beanie.  Where are you staying, Tina?"

"Viki let me move in, until I get a job and a place of my own.  I tried a few jobs already.  This last one, well, didn't work out either.  That's how I got these guys."

"Don't explain.  Viki's going to want these dogs?"  Todd asked.

"I'll ask her later," Tina said, and plopped onto the couch.  Blair was making friends with the medium-sized dog, and Beanie was in Tina's lap.  The Bernese sat at attention next to Tina. 

Todd looked at the scene and said, "You know, only my sister."

She smiled, "I guess that's true."

"Need a job, huh?"  Todd said.

"Yeah.  I want to start over, or something, but I haven't had luck.  Unless I were a candy dipper."

"That's real?"  

"I guess."

Blair said, "Oh Todd, he's so cute and friendly."

"I can spot 'em miles away," he said.  Turning back to Tina, he said, "What about a nanny?  Here at The Sun?"

Blair looked up, watching her husband.  He caught her eye and she shrugged.  Blair said, "She is really close with Ray.  They were fast friends when she helped save his life."

"What do you say, Sis?"

Tina was overcome with emotion.  "You both would trust me, with your child?"

"You saved him, already.  You took charge, and heck you helped save everyone.  Besides, you're right next door.  When he's here, we are, too."


"I'll take it!"  She stood up, collecting the dogs.

"Where you going?"  Todd asked.

"To go find these two a home, beg Viki to let me keep Beanie, and get dressed and come back for work."

"Todd, can we keep this one?"  Blair was hooked.

"You want him, Babe?"

"Yeah, he's so sweet, look at how he acts.  He's funny, too."

"He has that puzzled look on his face that will make him be a perfect member of the Mannings.  Sure, why not."

"Oh yes!  Thank you!"  She got up and skipped over to Todd to hug him, and when she did, the dog followed, his leash dragging, and watched.  He chased his tail a few times and then sat down in a coil and rested by Todd's desk.

Tina said, "Thanks, now I only have one to find a home for, if Viki lets me keep Beanie.  Hope she does,"  Tina said, as she headed out.

'What's his name?  Cain Rogan?"

"Oh, Todd, stop.  Maybe his name could be James."

"James?  What is he, a priest?"

"I don't know.  What do you think his name should be?"

"He's mixed up, that's what I think.  What about Bewildered?  He looks lost."

"No, come on.  He is sort of, well, he's got that confounded expression on his face, all the time.  He's so cute!"

"How about Clueless?"

She laughed.  "That's so mean!"

"All right.  Then we'll call him Mixie."

"Mixie.  Not bad.  Do you like that name, Mixie?  He does look mixed-up, Todd, just look at him."

Todd was back into his reports, and Blair went to the nursery to see to Ray and wait for Tina's return.  Mixie stayed right by Todd's feet, curled up as if trying to sleep.  Ramon, returning to the front, happened to look into Todd's office.  "A dog, Sir?"

"Mixie."

"Mixie.  I see."

The dog lifted its head, then put it back down, and sighed.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

2 comments:

  1. Very cute chapter. I love that Todd gave Tina a job, maybe she can find love and stability at the Sun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I love Tina! She definitely needs stability.

    ReplyDelete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!