WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Port Charles Chronicles: Chapter 29



       John was only a block away when the ambulance passed him.  Something told him to follow it, and his suspicions were confirmed when he arrived at the top of the steps to the Spoon Island launch dock.  He spotted Starr and the Corinthos boy standing to one side, watching the EMT’s work on somebody.  The look on Starr’s face told him who it was.  He walked down the stairs. “What happened?”

      “John, it all happened so fast.  We arrived at the top of the stairs in time to see him go into the water.  When he didn‘t come up right away, I went in after him.”  Starr was wet and she began to shiver a little bit as the shock of what had happened kicked in.

      John grabbed one of the EMTs, said something, and then turned to Michael. “You saw him go in.  Did he dive in, jump in, what?”

      Michael wrapped an arm around Starr and pulled her closer to him, but his wet clothes along with hers didn’t make her feel any warmer.  The EMT that John had spoken to suddenly appeared with two blankets.  Starr wrapped one around herself and walked over to see if her father was responding. Michael, in turn, slung the blanket around his shoulders and answered John’s question. “When we got here he was right at the edge, looking down into the water.  Starr tried to get his attention, but it was like he didn’t hear her.   The next thing we knew, he was in the water.”

      “So, when he didn’t come up, you both went in after him?”

      “That’s about it, I couldn’t see much, but somehow Starr located her dad.  He was trapped underneath the dock and we freed him and brought him back up. He wasn’t breathing at first so we called 911.  They got here just before you.  So far, he hasn’t regained consciousness.”

      Starr moved close to her dad as the EMT’s prepared to move him.

      “We’re taking him to General Hospital, you can ride with us”

       Starr nodded.  “Why hasn’t he regained consciousness?”

      “We’re uncertain. He was without oxygen for some time and his temperature is extremely high.  It’s reading at 104.3  degrees and appears to be climbing.  Both could be factors.  You said he’s been sick.  Do you know what he has?”

      “My mom thought he had the flu.  I don’t know much more, except this is the second day he’s been ill.” Starr wanted him to wake up.  From the moment he had returned home, he had been trying to be there for her.  It was like he was driven to prove himself to them.  She wanted to kick herself as she remembered putting him to the test.  He had been hurt by her actions but had gone along with her anyway.  When Cole was shot he had taken charge and had even gone so far as to have Cole declared dead.  Then he had sent Cole to be with both her and Hope in California.  He had given her those few happy days because he loved her.  She reached out and took his hand in hers.

      John had been listening to the exchange and walked over to stand by Starr. “ Excuse me.  I’m Lt. McBain.  I’m a friend of the family and I also work with the police here right now.  We’ve been trying to find Mr. Manning for the last few hours.  Mr. Manning was recently targeted by someone unknown, but it was determined that he may have been infected with a strain of malaria.  Is it possible that would account for his temperature?”

     “Very definitely.  In fact, it makes more sense.  Fevers this high don’t usually occur with the flu.  We need to go.  The sooner we get him to General Hospital, the better.”

      John and Michael watched as the Ambulance left with the sirens going.  Dante pulled up in front of them and he stepped from the car.  “I heard a 911 was called in.  Was that Manning?”

       “Yes, and it doesn’t look good.  He almost drowned, still unconscious.  You were right.  He appears to have been infected by that bullet.” John replied.

      “What do you mean, he almost drowned?’”

      “Michael and Starr got here in time to see him go into the water and they went in after him.”

      Dante looked at his brother and registered the fact that he was wet. “Are you okay Michael? How long were you in the lake?  Maybe you should go to the hospital too?”

     “I’m fine, I swim in the lake all the time at Grandfather’s.  I don’t need to be checked out, but I would like to be there to help Starr.  My car is at the Mall, how about a ride?”

     “Get in.  You too, John, I’ll take you both to your cars.  Then I’ll go and find out what’s going on with Manning.”

****

     They were beginning their descent into the Port Charles airspace when Blair jumped.  For the briefest second, it felt like someone had touched her cheek, it was immediately followed by a sense of dread.  Blair’s heart began beating fast: she felt like she had when Todd told her he was going to Ireland.  Something bad was about to happen.  Blair breathed a sigh of relief as the plane landed.  She had placed a call for a limo to be there when they arrived and saw it sitting there waiting for them.  She wasted no time getting the family off the plane and into the limo and then she instructed the driver to head to the MetroCourt.

    “Mom, what’s the rush all of a sudden?” Jack had been watching his mother for the last half hour and had noticed she seemed upset.

     Blair looked at Jack, she couldn’t tell him about his father.  He didn’t even know Todd was in Port Charles.  “I’m just anxious to see Starr.  She is going to be so surprised to see all of you.”

    “Geesh, it’s not like she hasn’t seen us in years.  Is she doing okay?  I  haven’t been answering her emails.”

    “Jack, I’m disappointed.  Starr needs all of us.  Why didn’t you answer them?”

     “I don’t know.   I guess I just missed being able to talk to her about problems, and I was mad.  Ever since Scarface came back, all we’ve done is argue.  I tried to talk to her when she came home for Hope’s funeral, but then I said Hope would still be alive if she had just stayed in California. She got mad and told me I never would understand anything if I didn’t try to get to know Scarface.”

      Blair knew Jack felt Starr betrayed Victor.  He couldn’t understand the bond that existed between Starr and Todd.  “She just wanted you to give your real father a chance.  She forgives him and that’s her right.”

      “He killed Dad.” Jack felt angry again.  It sounded like his mom was about ready to defend Scarface.  “You yourself said he was nothing but a selfish bastard.  That all he thought of was himself.”

      “I was very angry at him for lying to me all those months, but this isn’t about Todd.  This is about you and your sister.  I want you to stop the anger toward her because she still loves her father.  It doesn’t mean she has stopped loving you, or me, or Sam.  Starr has a big heart and enough love for all of us.”

       Blair’s purse started humming.

      “Mom, I think your phone is going off.  Do you want me to get it?” Sam asked reaching into the pocket.

      “Sam Manning, you know the rule.  The only time you can answer my phone is if I’m unable to do it myself.” Blair reached and picked up her purse.  Pulling the phone out she saw the call had come from John.  Her heart skipped a beat.  Please God, let this be good news.  She opened her phone and listened to John’s message.

      Blair, if you’re listening to this it means you’ve arrived in Port Charles.  You need to come to General Hospital as soon as possible.   We found Todd.

      She almost dropped the phone.  She had gotten her wish; Todd was found but it wasn’t all good news.  Something happened. John said as soon as possible.  Before she could give new instructions to the driver, her phone rang.

     “Mom, thank God, you answered.   You need to get to General Hospital.  Dad needs you.  I’m sorry, I know I must be scaring you, but he’s not doing too good.”

     “Starr, I’ll be there as soon as I can.  I just got to the Metro-Court.  Hang in there.” Blair hung up and saw the concerned looks on the boys’ and Addie’s faces.  “Starr’s overwhelmed about something, it must have to do with the project she’s undertaking.  Momma, can you get yourself and the boys settled.  There are rooms reserved for all of you.  Get a late dinner and I’ll be back as soon as I can.  We’ll surprise Starr in the morning.”

      Addie nodded and she exited the limo with Jack and Sam.  After the luggage was unloaded, Blair instructed the driver to head for General Hospital.

****

      Todd stood there stunned.  'The young man had just called him Dad.  Was it possible?'
“I don’t understand?”


      Brendan looked at his older brother and could see he, too, was struggling to find more words.  It wasn’t every day that a new family member arrived.  He got off the ground.  “I  can see my brother has forgotten how to speak.  I’m sorry, it’s a shock to everyone when they arrive.  Except for the babies.  We just got the news a short time ago.”

      “News?  What news?  Where am I?” Todd looked from one young man to the other. “Why are you so familiar?  I’ve never met either of you.”

      “Well, technically that’s true.  When we first met, my brother and I weren’t any bigger than walnuts.  I guess I actually had more time with you than he did.”  Brendan was clearly the lead talker when it came to words.  “You only got to know us by touch, but we know you.  Grandmother’s been keeping an eye on you for a long time and told us all sorts of stories until we were old enough to watch with her.  As for where we are, I think Grandmother should explain.  I’m going to go get her.  You and my brother deserve some time alone.”

      Todd watched Brendan leave and took another look around.  There was something strangely comforting about the surroundings.  He looked over at the young man standing with his football in hand.  “You called me Dad.”  He looked at the boy, taking in his hazel eyes and his tall but lanky stature.  Then as if the blinders came off, he recognized him.  This was his son. He was unsure what to do next.  He wanted to take him in his arms but didn’t feel he had the right. “I’m sorry.“

     The young man looked puzzled. “Why?”

     “I didn’t protect you the way I should have.  I had all these big plans.  You were going to have the best of everything.  Most importantly, I wanted you to know you were loved.  I failed  in  my job before I even got a chance to start it.”  Todd looked around some more and then realized where he was. “I don’t belong here.”  He turned and started to leave.  It hurt to his core to begin walking away from his son but he didn’t want to taint him.

     The young man had been listening, just enjoying hearing his father talk.  He had known that voice the minute he had spoken.  Suddenly, he realized his father was leaving. He dropped the ball and raced after him.  He caught him and touch his shoulder.  Like a jolt  of electricity, his father’s love spread through him, “You can’t go.”  He gasped as that love almost overwhelmed him.

       Todd stopped, surprised by the flood of emotions that cascaded through his body at his son’s touch. He turned to his son and enfolded him in a hug.  He didn’t want to let go, whether any of it was real or not, he wasn’t ready for it to stop.  He backed away enough to hold his son’s face in his hands.  “I don’t know how this happened, but I’m glad.  This is crazy.  I don’t belong here.  I’m not a good person.  You and Brendan, you’re innocents and have every right to be here in this place.  Maybe, this is God’s way of giving me a chance to say goodbye to you, because I never had the chance before.  I’m thankful.  I know it won’t last, but I promise I’ll stay until the devil rips me away.”

****

      Starr had been holding her father’s hand when he started seizing. “Help! Please, there’s something wrong.”  Just as suddenly he stopped and the alarms started going off.

      Dr. Webber rushed into the area.  He took one look and yelled. “We’ve got a cardiac arrest here.”  He proceeded to lay Todd flat on the crash board.

      Starr recognized Epiphany and Elizabeth Webber as they rushed to assist the doctor.  “Oh God, help my dad.”  Her heart was racing, only minutes before she had reached her mother. “Mom, wherever you are, hurry!” She whispered to herself.

        Michael walked into the ER in time to hear the alarms and watched Starr back out of the cubicle.  He walked over and put an arm around her shoulder. “He made it this far, Starr. You have to have faith.”

****

       The longer he held his son the more anchored he felt to him.  “It’s strange, finding myself here.  I’ve got to tell you, this is the last place I expected to be.  That you’re here to meet me is unreal.”

    “That’s the way it works around here.  Family members are always alerted when a relative is coming.  We just didn’t know it would be you.  When I saw you walking across the grass I wanted to run to you first thing, but Brendan said we had to wait for the right moment.  There were a couple other times when I was sure you were coming, but Grandmother kept saying it wasn’t your time.  I know I shouldn’t say this, but I’m glad you’re here.”  His voice cracked, “I finally get to spend time with you.”

   Todd gulped, “I want to spend time with you, too.”  He was talking to his first child and it was as easy as talking to Sam.  Always uncomfortable showing his feelings, Todd decided to change the subject. He walked back to where his son had dropped the football.  “It looks like I’m here for the time being. How about a few more tosses of the football before your grandmother gets here?”  Soon he was teaching his son football moves, and together they were laughing and enjoying the moment.  He had just sent his son running another LU pattern when he heard someone walk up behind him.  Thinking it was Brendan, he turned around.   His voice choked up with love; “Mom.”

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

1 comment:

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!