WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Shadows Fall: Chapter 32

Todd sniffed and wiped his face on his sleeve.  Ray returned to his desk chair.  "You all right?"  Ray asked.

"I'm fine."

"You look better."

"I feel...I feel strange Ray.  I feel..."

"You feel better off.  You can't say it, but that's it, isn't it?  With all your scars and torments and experiences, you feel better off."

Todd hadn't thought of it that way before, but he knew Ray was right.  "I do.  I can't believe it, but the guy is worse than I am."

"He's devastated.  He can't live with his guilt.  He can't deal with what he's done to Tea.  He's broken.  He's where you may have been at least once in your life."

Todd remembered, all too well.  "I was.  So long.  So many times."

"And...?"

"And, I don't know.  The guy's a mess."

Ray said, "He is.  Clearly, we won't be having him speak with Jack today.  It's just too much for Zeus at this point."

"I know.  He's like...fragile.  Like he could fall apart any second.  I would rather not have Jack exposed to that."

"I agree.  I thought in a few weeks.  Just because we signed papers, does not mean it was immediate.  However, I knew that he needed to see you.  What you did today is going to help him, Todd.  I'm amazed at how you handled this just now.  I truly am.  You're a remarkably strong person."

Todd did not know what to say, since he felt so small and weak when he was emotional.  "I don't feel so strong, not all the time."

"I know.  But no one does."

"I'm pretty sure you can't tell me, but, what are those marks on his arms?  The new ones?"

"I'm pretty sure you've already seen them, and in your mind's eye, you know what they are.  Yes, he's cutting himself.  He uses whatever he can get.  We're not exactly sure why, though there are theories.  He never does anything that might end his life.  He just...cuts."

Todd grimaced, and looked down for a moment, looking back up in response to a noise in the outer hall.

Jack came around the corner and walked in because the door was open.  "Dad?  Hey, Ray."

"Hey, Jack.  Your father and I were just chatting."

"So, you signed, right Dad?"

"Yeah, buddy," Todd said.  "But I have to tell you something.  It's going to be a few weeks before you can actually see Zeus and confront him."

"Okay, but why?  What's up?"

Todd began to explain the meeting that had just taken place.  When he was done, he said, "He's just not ready.  But, I have to tell you, he's very sorry, Jack."

"Yeah, sure, right.  He's sorry." The boy became agitated.

"No, Jack, listen to me."  Todd became forceful.  "He is sorry.  He's broken, he's shattered.  He's...he's not well, Jack.  He didn't even know what he was doing."

"He knew what he was doing!"  Jack bellowed.

"Son, he didn't!"  Todd yelled back.  Then he softened his voice, "He didn't.  He was brainwashed, he was tortured.  Jack, he didn't know who he was."

Jack froze.  "Tortured?  Like you?"

Todd said, "Yes, like me.  Just not as much, but he was brainwashed for much longer.  He lost himself."  Jack remained quiet.  Todd said, "He is sorry for what he did to you.  You have to believe that until you can hear it for yourself."

Jack wasn't sure, but he lowered his head and thought.  "How does he look?"

"He looks bad.  He looks, unwell."  Todd said.

"He said it?  He said he was sorry?"

"He did.  He said he was sorry for what he did to me, and to you and to Mom, and Starr and Sam.  To everyone."

"Will I get to see him?"

Todd determined what it was that was bothering Jack.  Somehow, even with the abuses, his son had loved Zeus.  Zeus was his father for most of his life.  And like Peter Manning and Todd, Zeus and Jack were connected that way.  "You will get to see him, Jack.  He just needs time.  I know you miss him, and that you love him." Jack stopped, and looked at Todd, as if embarrassed.  Todd continued, "It's okay that you do.  He was your father."

Jack sat for quite a while, and the room was very still.  After a few minutes, Jack said, "Dad?"

Todd answered him, "Yeah, bud?"

"Dad, I have to tell you something.  I want to."  He looked at Ray.  Ray nodded in encouragement.  "I have to tell you that...I love you, Dad."

Todd closed his eyes, momentarily, then opened them and blinked back water, saying, "I love you, too, Son."  And he rose from his chair and went to him, and Jack reached up and hugged his father, and sighed.  Todd straightened up, bringing Jack to a standing hug with him.  They separated and looked to Ray.  

Ray began applauding slowly.  "Good work, you guys, really.  Today is a red letter day for me.  Zeus, facing you, Todd; Jack, telling your father what you've wanted to tell him; Todd, you forgiving Zeus and then accepting love; it's almost too good for words.  A therapist's dream!"

"Glad we could make your day," Todd said, then turning to Jack, "where's the food?"

***

Blair was dozing when the doorbell rang.  She went to the door and opened it to Briggsette, who was flustered and blew in, throwing her hands up.  "It didn't work."

"Okay, calm down, tell me what happened."

She relayed the tale of how she chickened-out of going to The Break Bar, and then went to Sam Vance's office to ask her for help.

Blair raised an eyebrow.  "He asked you to go to Sam Vance?"  Her hands went to her hips.

"Uh, well, yeah.  Blair come on, he only has eyes for you.  Believe me."

"Well, maybe."  She was a bit indignant.

The young reporter continued, "Sam agreed.  She was all set to go.  In fact, she went out there last night."

"Okay, what happened?"

"It fell through.  They didn't buy it and they wouldn't let her in.  In fact, the manager called the Health Department and checked her phoney name, and before he had a chance to turn back to her, she had to run out."

Blair plopped into the armchair.  "Well, that's a done deal.  I'll call Todd and tell him the update."

"All right."

"Help yourself to a drink," Blair offered, dialing her husband.

"Hey,Momma Blair," he said.

"Hi, husband-to-be-father.  News for you, from Little Briggs."

"Oh yeah?  I knew she'd pull it off."

"Uh, wrong again, Mr. Manning, and since when are you carrying around business cards of that Sam Vance woman?"

Todd smiled, "Come on Blair, there's only you for me.  You know that."

Softening, she said,  "Yeah, well, when are you coming home?"

"Pretty soon.  I want to make one stop.  You want something done . . ."

"Todd, be careful."

"Of course.  Don't worry, I'll leave Jack in the car."

"How was that, anyway?"

"That didn't happen quite the way we thought.  I'll tell you more tonight."  They hung up.

Blair turned to Briggsette.  "He's so....ugh!" She tossed her hands up and let them fall to her sides.

"You would not have him any other way."

"Well, I guess.  But still, he's so infuriating sometimes!  You know he promised I'd be working with him on this story, and he just...he shuts me out.  I know I could have gotten in there!"

Briggsette just stood there, looking at Blair, who was definitely a beauty, with her very large stomach protruding in her long silk top over silk pants.  Her fluffy pink slippers peeked out from under her cuffs.  Briggsette said, "Uh, Maybe.  Well, Blair, I'll see you later."  She headed to the door.  "Tell Todd I tried my best."

Blair grabbed the tablet off the desk, and the folder from the drawer, and took them over to the couch.  "There has to be something here."

***

Todd had Williams pull the limousine in the parking lot next to The Break Bar.  "Jack, I'll be right out," he said to his son, who was busy watching television in the limo entertainment center.

Following his instincts, he had come to the bar right when he assumed that Hank the bartender would be there setting up for the evening.  And, he was right, spotting his light blue used Ford parked by the Loading Zone door.  Todd went in the usual way, and the door was open, though the sign said 'closed.'  Todd said, "Hey, Hank."

"Hey.  God, me and that door.  Can't ever remember to lock it again after I get in here."

"Sorry, do you want me to go?"

"No, just hanging out in here alone, waiting for the first customers.  My boss won't be in for an hour or two.  What can I get you?"

"How about a beer?"

"Sure," he said, sliding one to Todd.  Todd handed him a twenty.  "I'm a pretty good tipper."

Hank said, "Yup."

"So, you like working here?"

"It's a job.  I made a decent wage plus tips."

"That's it?"

"That's it."  Todd sized him up; he thought Hank might actually be telling the truth.  No cut for him?

"My wife, she owns a bar.  You may have heard of it, Capricorn?"

"Yeah, of course.  Upscale club."

"I know that I can probably put a word in, get you a job there, possibly management.  It will pay a lot more than this job."

Hank stopped.  "Why would you offer me a job?"

"Because you and I both know that this job is leading to one place, and that's Statesville.  You know it, and I know it."

Hank didn't speak.  His eyes became slits.  "You don't know a thing."

"Yeah, I do.  And you're in the mix.  If that's how you want it to go, then keep on with it.  But, if you work for me, you'll be out of the danger of prison and get a new job, without any problem."

"Work for you?"

"Yep.  Right now, I want to hire, you, private, to find out some things for me about that back room.  You know what I am talking about, but you don't have to say it.  I'll pay you handsomely for your time."  He slid a piece of paper with a figure on it toward Hank.  The man's eyes shifted to the dollar amount and back to Todd's face.  "After all is said and done and things settle down, you'll be guaranteed a job at Capricorn."

Hank rubbed the bar absentmindedly.  "What if I don't want to work for you?  Didn't you just tip your hand?"

"Maybe it's already been in the pot.  If I wasn't sure of what I am doing, I wouldn't ask you.  You can go down with the rest, if you choose.  Maybe this hand you claim I tipped has already held the goods, if you know what I mean.  That's a chance you will have to take.  I'm willing to risk it and that should tell you something about what I know and how far along I am."  Remember Viki?  Telling you what Victor Lord would do?  Don't give them time to think about it.

Hank kept cleaning the bar.  

Todd got up off the stool, "Well, it was good talking to you, Hank."  He started to leave.

"Wait.  I'll work for you.  Just tell me what you want me to do."

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!