WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Friday, April 20, 2012

The Shadows Fall: Chapter 36 (adult)




Todd made his way back into McBain's office.  Having been there so often over the last months, he felt almost comfortable there.  Knocking, he waited.


"Who's there?"


"It's me, Manning."


"Come in.  What's up Todd?  I'm a little involved.  Murder-robbery last night, discovered this morning."


"We heard.  We know the guy.  He was working for me, sort of, on a story.  It was not a robbery.  I think he was murdered for another reason."


"Manning, what aren't you telling me?"


"A lot, I guess.  It would have stayed that way except that Blair started crying and begging me to tell you.  She's afraid I'm next."


McBain put down his folder, and gave Todd his attention.  "Start talking."


"The guy was spying for me.  There's something....they've got a prostitution ring in the back room there."


"That's illegal activity.  You knew about that and didn't say anything?  That's a crime."


"Journalistic confidentiality, and ethics, McBain."


"For a story?  Is that the excuse?"


"I wasn't sure where it was heading.  I asked the guy to do some poking around, and he found some things.  Unfortunately, he overstepped and let the wrong people get wind of it, and ended up dead."


"Go on."


"He found a box with costumes, the fedora, the suit, and the robe similar to the Grim Reaper.  That leads me to believe..."


"That Carlo Hesser is in this somehow."


"Yes.  I can't think of another way to connect those clothes and the 'imaginary' things I was seeing."


"I'm sorry I doubted you."


"Hey, I doubted me, too."


"Well, it looks like Carlo has a hand in this somewhere and somehow.  Even from inside prison he makes the world rotten.  What else have you got?"


Todd related everything he could, including Jessica's involvement, which made John suddenly understand his silence.  "I just wasn't ready for her to deal with this on a larger level.  I figured I could do a major expose and leave her out of it."


"Not good.  So Tess is back?"


"Not fully, but she's around."


"St. Anne's?"


"She put herself in."  Todd thought.  "One more thing."


"Okay?"


"We found a list of owners of the place, trying to trace it back and see a connection.  Two guys, one's dead.  The third turned out to be Mayor Finn.  Blair figured that one out."


"Wait a minute, Mayor Finn?"


"Yeah.  But we needed you help to uncover the two silent partners.  Are you able to do that?"


John shuffled a few papers, "yeah, we can do that."


"Once you uncover that, maybe we'll see it clearer."  He said, standing up.  "I'm headed home.  Been a long week.  Can you call me when you find out?"


"I don't work for you.  I don't have to let you know anything else about this.  It's a criminal investigation."


Todd leaned over the desk, "Will you call us?  It's my family, John.  It involves the man who tortured me, with his own hands, for eight years."


John swallowed, looking down.  "I'll call if I find out anything.  But I want you and Blair out of this one, before it gets worse, Manning."


"Roger that," he walked out.




***


"You didn't say you were going to murder someone."


"My dear, you must calm yourself," he said, leaning against the prison wall.


"Killing was never a part of this."


He threw back his head and laughed.  "Surely, you're kidding.  Everything that is needed, everything that is required to get the job done, will be done."


"Manning knows something.  The bartender went to him the night before he was killed.  Who did you send?"


"Not important now.  But Manning just may have to be taken care of as well.  So sad, I so enjoy playing with him, he's an amusing toy."


"I don't want to be part of this..."


"Ah but you are.  You are.  Kathleen?  Katherine...we're very close to this.  We musn't falter now.  Too  much is at stake, for both of us."


She took in her breath.  "I wish I never met you.  I wish I never knew you.  I wish I never..."


"Loved me?"


"That was a life time ago.  You're poison."


"Careful not to taunt me," he said, anger growling through his words.


She stopped.  "What do I do now?"


"Get rid of Jessica Buchanan.  She knows too much of the plan.  If she becomes her 'alter' she will blow it all wide open.  I'll handle Mr. and Mrs. Manning."


"Mrs. Manning is pregnant...you're not..."


"I'll handle the Mannings.  You deal with Ms. Buchanan.  And make certain that the actor and the manager are both quiet about this.  If they seem to balk, I'll have them taken care of as well."


She shook.  "Killing means nothing to you, does it?  Life means nothing."


"Does life mean anything to you?  Your actions in the past certainly don't point to someone who values life, do they?"


She did not respond.


He continued, "Once you are in the Governor's Mansion, things will move along nicely.  Just keep your eyes on that prize, my dear."  He hung up.




***


"Blair?  Blair?" he bellowed, tossing his keys onto the desk.  "Blair?"


"Why are you yelling, Todd, I'm right here in the kitchen.  I was making peanut butter and fluff, want some?"


"No, babe, I'm just tired, irritable, I don't know.  Sorry for yelling."


She could see he had a lot of weight on his shoulders.  He sat in one of the arm chairs, and she stood behind it, rubbing his shoulders.  He responded by relaxing and moving with her kneads.  The smell of her perfume was intoxicating, and made him feel almost drunk, mixed with his exhaustion, he closed his eyes.  He missed her, wanted her so much.  His body was starting to respond to his need for her, and he interrupted her, afraid to hurt her or the baby.  He said, "I think I'll have a bath and go to bed early."


She knew, having loved him for so long, what was going on.  Jack had taken Sam to the movies via limo, and the penthouse was quiet.  She knew he needed her.  She watched him go, and went back to the kitchen.  Finishing up her sandwich and glass of milk, she closed up the lower level, shutting lights and locking doors.


When she came into the suite, he was already in the tub.  She could see him, head back on the rim of the basin, the jets filling the air with a humming sound.  She watched from a distance, as he reached under the water and moved his hand over himself.  She smiled to herself, mostly because she was so in love with someone who was in love with her enough to want to protect her, putting his own needs aside. 


Throughout their lives, he was generally reserved from initiating sex, until after he had been separated from her for all the years of torment, he'd seemed to finally transcend his guilt and be able to be both openly sexual and emotional, without reservation.  But this was different.  She knew he was afraid of hurting her, and hurting Moonbeam, and that he just didn't know it would be all right and was afraid to even ask.  Then, she realized that they had never even been together when she was this far along before.


Of course, in her mind, she was no prize at this stage.  Her belly was very big.  But, in the water....it might help.  She walked over to the door of the bathroom, and stood, and he looked at her, not at all startled, or embarassed, and kept at what he was doing.  He said, huskily, "I knew you were there.  I don't care if you watch or if you know.  I miss you.  Open your robe and let me see you while I do this."


She touched the water and realized it was too hot just then.  So, she sat on the toilet and put her feet across, resting on the edge.  She opened the top of her robe, so that he could see cleavage and the shadows of her breasts.  "I like watching."


He smiled, lowering his head back again and closing his eyes.


She said, "Can you turn the temperature down?"


He looked at her, "sure."  He turned the dial and lowered it a few degrees, and returned to his work.  Reaching out, he pulled her robe off one shoulder, and one breast was fully exposed.  She moved to sit on the rim of the jacuzzi, and traced the edge of his hair with her fingers.  He fondled her nipple and sat up, putting his mouth to it.  She worked her hands down to his shoulders, and caressed them, remembering the scar behind his right one, as her fingers grazed it and she shuddered.  He took her hand.  He brought it to his mouth and kissed it.


She stood up, and let her robe completely fall, and put one foot into the water.  It was better, warm and inviting.  "I've missed you, too.  I always do."  She slowly lowered herself into the tub, and he put both his hands on her stomach, guiding her a bit.


She sat over his lap, and he said, "You're still so beautiful."


She teared up, and said, "So are you."


He whispered, touching her breasts, now with both hands, "Just touch me, that'll be enough."


"No," she said, leaning toward him, kissing his lips gently, "it's not."


"But, the baby..."


"The baby's fine.  I'm fine.  We're fine, and we're going to be happy, Todd."  She moved herself over him and slid down his length.  He let out a soft moan and slowly, with care, moved her up and down, holding both her breasts in his hands.


The way he felt and looked, she knew it would not take long.  She just wanted to be close to him, and feel him.  Within a few minutes, he pulled her chest to his face and buried it there, holding her close.  She could feel him finishing within her, and she ran her fingers through his hair and hugged his head close to her heart.


"I love you," she whispered.


"I love you, babe," he whispered back.  He took the soap, and washed her back and then her hair.


They got out of the tub, him carefully steadying her so she would not fall, and he wrapped her in a giant, thirsty towel, and dried her off.  He took her favorite cream and lotioned her arms, back, stomach and legs, as he had done before, even down to her toes.  Then, he draped her robe around her and lifted her in his arms, carrying her to the bed.  He laid her down on the bed, and cradled her in his arms, stroking her hair that was still damp.  She was already drowsing against his bare chest, and he grabbed a pair of his silk pajama bottoms out of the nightstand and pulled them on.  Gently moving her so she would not be too disturbed, he dressed her in her nightie, and covered her with a blanket, crawling in next to her.  He propped his head on his palm, and watched her, as she slept.  With his index finger, he touched her hair gently and said aloud, "What did I ever do, in this world, to be here right now?"

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!