WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Friday, June 8, 2012

Battle the Dark: Chapter 27

Blair, unable to cope with Shaun's words, passed out onto the couch.  "Mom!"  Jack said, running to her.


"She's just fainted," the nun assured him.


"Oh my God," Viki said, covering her mouth.  "Not Sam."


"Viki, perhaps we can't jump that far into the whereabouts of Sam.  Let's search both penthouses first, then hit his favorite places."  Addie said.


They did just that.  Blair's legs were lifted and put up on the couch.  Addie was assigned to watching Little Ray and waiting for Blair to wake from her fainting.  The others searched through the penthouse, in every closet and every cupboard.  Jack came through the door as Blair was waking, "Where is he, Jack?"


"He's going to be fine, Mom.  Shaun and I were setting up the tent, and he told us to go in it and wait.  I don't think he was taken, I think...I think he ran away."


"Ran away!?  Why would he do that?" she said, worried about her son.


"I don't know, but he made us go into the tent, and he counted, saying he was going to hide.  When we came out to find him, he was gone." 


Shaun came down the stairs, with Sister Rebecca Katherine and Viki in tow.  He said, "He's not up there.  Jack, did you search the whole apartment next door?"


"Yeah, just like you told me.  Not there.  That little runt is hiding out."


Blair said, "What if...what if that lunatic got him?"  She shook all over.


Everyone was quiet, except for Sister Rebecca Katherine, who said, "It's not likely that Sam would count and then be abducted, that's not really making sense.  But even so, if the worst happened, he would be with Todd, who would die to protect him.  You know that, dear heart."


Blair paused.  "All right, I'll try and see it your way.  Where would he be?"


Jack said, "Easy.  He loves the park, and it's right across the street.  He knows how to get there. I'll bet anything he's there."


Viki said, "I'll go home and wait for your call, Blair.  If he's not there, I'll call Natalie and get help."


Everyone headed to the lobby, and, sans Viki, the group crossed the street.


In the park, Jack took the lead, moving across the area to what he called "the favorite spot" where Todd, Jack and Sam went on Saturday mornings to play.  Blair made a mental note that it was Saturday morning right then.  


In the distance, they saw him.  He was sitting on a bench, alone, with his baseball glove on his hand.  He held a ball in the other hand, and was smooshing it into the glove.  When he saw all of them, with their worried, but starting-to-change faces, he looked up and said, "I'm waiting for Dad."


Blair's voice caught in her throat and she turned away, finding Shaun's shoulder.  Shaun said, with his arms around Blair, "You are, huh?"


"Yeah.  We always come down here on Saturday mornings, right Jack?"


Jack sat next to him, to be certain he was in reach in case he decided to run off.  "Yeah, that's right, we do."


"So I was waiting for him.  I think I'll find him, pretty soon.  He says that being in the park is better than cartoons."


"He's quite right, lad," said the nun, moving closer, "much better than cartoons, I'll say."


Sam looked at her, "You talk funny."


She said, "You talk funny, too.  That's how these Irish ears hear ya."


He said, "Am I Irish?"


She responded, "I think you are, not positive, but I think ya might be."


He thought.  "I want to find Dad.  He's supposed to play with me on Saturdays."


Even despite her older knees, she knelt in front of him.  "I know, and your mother wants to find him, too.  And Jack and me.  And Shaun.  Everyone does.  But you can't run off."


"Why?  I was just in the park."


"Because you scared your Mommy.  Look at her, she's so upset.  She thought she had lost ya."


He got up, and Jack was on his feet, knowing just how fast the little guy could take off.  Sam said, "Mom, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you, but no one is finding Dad, and I think he'll be here, in a few minutes or maybe an hour."


Blair turned to him, with tears streaming, "That's all right, but you musn't do this again.  You can't because Mommy needs you."


He hugged her legs, and she knelt to hug him close to her.  He said, "Okay, I'm sorry.  But Mom?"


"Yes, honey."


"Can we just wait for him?  I know he'll be here."


"He would.  He would be here to play with you, if he could, but no honey, we can't."


"Why?"


"Because...because Sister Rebecca Katherine and I are going to go and get him."


"You are!?"  He said, eyes widened.  It reminded Blair of when he saw Todd's Santa under the tree.


"Yes, we are.  Sister, are you with me on this?"


"Yes, dear, if you mean what I think you mean, it will be something we can do, instead of sitting around here waiting."


All of them headed back to the penthouse.  When they returned, they sent the boys to the penthouse next door and secured them in.  Shaun said, "You are not going anywhere."


Blair got a certain shifty look in her eyes, and said, "You're right Shaun, we should stay put.  I can't leave Ray."


"All right," he said, "I'm going back to hang with the boys, you going to be okay?"


"We're fine," Blair said.  "Take care of the boys, I've got to feed my son."


Shaun left, and Blair got up and went upstairs.  Sister Rebecca Katherine grabbed the carrier and she and Addie followed.


When they rounded the corner, they saw her wildly throwing things into a bag.  She took his tablet and placed it on top.  


Addie asked, "Blair, what are you doing?"


"Packing."


"I'll get another bag!"  The nun called out.


Addie said, "Both of you, stop it, please.  You can't go to Ireland.  John will have a fit, something could happen to you.  Blair, what would happen if the children lost both parents?"


Blair did not stop or hesitate, "Momma, it's always been Todd and I.  We're better together than we ever were apart.  I have to go.  If I can help out there, I have to."


"But Blair," Addie said, "You don't even know where he is."


She stopped, looking at her mother, "Momma, I do.  I have this feeling.  He originally disappeared from me in Ireland.  His disappearance was because of Carlo.  Then, he left us because of Carlo, and was gone eight years.  Now, he's gone again, and Carlo is in Ireland, the place of his first 'death.'  Carlo Hesser was seen going there.  If he's there, how can Todd be far behind?  If I have to strangle Todd's whereabouts out of him myself, I will with these two hands."


Addie, though afraid, was pleased to see her daughter with a purpose again.  "I am not in favor of this.  But, you're a grown woman, Blair.  You have to make your own choices.  But should you go there alone?  Shouldn't you have Shaun with you, or someone?"


"She'll have me!  Me and my hook will be there by crook!  Besides, the boys need protection, as do you, Addie dear.  And Starr and Hope."


Addie was not convinced that a sixty year-old woman was enough, but she let it go for the time being.  The two of them packed.  "Shall I take care of Little Ray?  Are you sure you want to be away from him?"


Blair faltered for a split second, "I can't think about that now.  Get formula, feed him as you know he needs, I have to get my husband back."  She zipped her luggage and put her hands on her hips as Sister Rebecca Katherine exactly did the same.


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

4 comments:

  1. I have come to love the character of Sister Rebecca Katherine. She was originally supposed to be in one book, "The Shadows Fall," for the birth of Little Ray, but I can't let go of her. Glad you are routing for her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Sister Rebecca Katherine...

    ReplyDelete

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!