WELCOME

RELIVE the AMAZING DAYS of #OLTL, the MANNINGS, LORDS, CRAMERS and MORE! PLEASE leave comments for the authors, it gives them support and feedback!!!

Many thanks to our currently featured authors:

BF4L: Old Habits Die Hard ||| CIMZ: R.E.M. ||| Cloud: The Way BackThe Shadows FallBattle the DarkThe Fourth LifeThe End of BlameDiamond in the RoughHope from the OceanFailings of the FathersChasing the Monsters ||| Karena:TM Return ScenariosTo Journey's EndPort Charles ChroniclesTodd's SagaMemories UnlockedThe Mysterious Samuel Toddman (Reissue) • Who's the Real Todd? (Reissue) • Thomas Lord: Cloaked (Reissue) • Enigma (reissue) • Don't Shoot the Messenger (link) ||| MONICA ANN: Dance with the DevilThe Devil You Know ||| MARIA: Spidey Sam

TOTAL READS

Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Fourth Life: Chapter 5

Jack just stared at Zeus for a moment.  The man could tell that the boy was upset.  "Jack, you okay?"


"What do you care?"  He boomed, and walked past him.


Zeus turned to Ray.  "A couple of months ago, that would have killed me."


"This I know.  You're doing better.  I've said it for a while now."


Zeus sat, across from Ray, as was customary.  Ray, finishing notes from Jack's session, said,
"So, it didn't bother you, just now, when Jack rejected you?"



"Yeah, sure, but not the way it used to.  I feel like, maybe there's hope for things to eventually work out, all around."


"This sounds like something about Tea?"


"No, not even.  I went to Statesville, remember, with your permission?"


"I was wondering when you'd get around to telling me about that."  He closed the file, "What's the deal?"


"Carlo denies he's my father.  Well, sort of.  He rejected me as his son and said I was a sorry excuse for a person.  Which made me overjoyed inside."


"I think I know why, but continue."


"If he accepted me and thought I was worthy, then I'd be like him.  For him to reject me means, well, I'm one of the good guys."


"Exactly."


Zeus went on to explain how he still wanted to know about his parentage, to the point that he feared it was becoming an obsession.  Ray assure him that it was natural to want to know his identity, especially since he never had one that was very strong in the first place.  "You grew up in an orphanage?"


"Yeah.  In Greece."


"Then I guess that would be a good place to start."


"I can't see you giving me permission to go to Greece, with or without police guards."


"No, not yet, but in a month or two, when you're out of here..."


"Out of here?"  His eyes watered.


"Sure.  That's the whole point of mental institutions, in reality.  They're to help you heal and assimilate back into the world."


He swallowed, and said, "I never thought it would happen, let alone this soon."


"I am not promising, but it looks better than it did.  Let's put it that way.  You've made excellent strides and you've helped to put away Carlo Hesser.  That's not taken lightly by anyone."


"Not even Tea.  She's giving me the time of day again."


"Then, that's good."


"Yeah, I just keep hoping she'll say...I keep hoping she'll say that I can see my daughters."


"You have to be patient for that.  You've got a head start.  Things seem to be working themselves out.  What is it we can do today to help that move along?"


"Nothing.  I just wanted to show up.  It's on my record you know, that I attend my sessions on time.  Right now, I feel like I am doing okay.  If I need you before the next session, I definitely know where you are."


Ray smiled, "All right.  Have a good afternoon, then."


"You, too."  Zeus exited.  Instead of going to his room to stare out his window, he decided to ask the guard for a walk on the grounds.  It was a gorgeous day.


***


John had spent the whole morning on the phone.  Finally, he hung it up, as Natalie came through the door.  "What's wrong? I can tell something's not going right."  She asked.


"Trying to get our friend the D.A. to push for an earlier trial date for Hesser," he said.  He rubbed his face with his hands, and she went to his shoulders.  


Massaging them, she said, "You'll get him.  It will take time, but you will."


"The D.A.s Office wants the death penalty."


"That's decent news."


"You know they won't get it.  There's not enough evidence.  In fact, without the testimony of all those involved, I am not even sure there's evidence for a conviction.  Aside from the escape, what did Hesser himself do?  Everything rests on Michael Leona, who's deceased."


Even Natalie, who knew very little about that name, got a chill up her spine.  "I'm spoosed to be impartial, but I'm glad he's dead.  I can't imagine..."


John interrupted, "No, you can't.  And don't ask me.  I won't put these images I've got into anyone else's mind."


"All right."  She knew when to quit.  She said, "Let's go home early and take Liam for a walk?"


He sighed, "Okay.  That sounds good."


"Okay?  I can't believe you agreed so easily."


"It's been a long day already.  Let me finish a few things and then we'll head out."


She bent to kiss him and then went on her way.  John, not satisfied with the information he had gotten so far, made one more call, "Yes, I'd like permission to visit a prisoner, please.  One Carlo Hesser."


***


Todd was still holding Blair after her crying bout when she finally looked up and pulled herself out of his embrace.  "I'm being selfish," she said.


"How?  He's your baby," Todd reminded her.


"He's not quite a baby anymore."


"No, but he's always your baby, isn't that how it works?"


She looked at her husband, and noticed the weariness in his face.  "I think we've had enough sadness for the day, really.  We have to take care of you.  I'm going to be fine, you, well, you've just been through living Hell.  Again."


He shrugged, "Eh, it's better than dying.  I wouldn't want to miss out on you and the kids growing up."


"I'm already grown up!"  She said, stomping a foot.


"Uh, that's exactly what I meant," he snarked.


"Oh, you!"  She patted his arm playfully, and realized she had hit one of his wounds.  He tried not to react but couldn't help it.


"That's still a little sore," he said, holding it.


"I'm sorry, what a fool."


"No, it's better.  It means you're forgetting.  You know I hate pity.  If you forget, you won't pity me, you'll just love me.  I like it better the second way."


"You deserve both.  Not that many people could have lived through it, and twice."


"I'm a major badass, remember?  I think that is part of what's bugging Jack," he said, "The biggest badass is falling apart in front of him.  He's scared."


"I know," she said, walking to the windows and staring out. 


He went to her, coming up from behind, "He'll be all right.  I won't let it be any different than that."


"I know that, too."


"You love me?"


"Of course, why even ask?"


"Just making sure."


"Do you love me?"


"I gave up myself to you, completely, what else is there?"


She turned to him, "Not completely."


He frowned and followed her as she crossed the office to his desk again.  "I'm missing something here, I know."


"I don't want to push you, Todd."


"I'll tell you if you're pushing me."


"I know there's more you're not saying.  Things you haven't been able to tell me.  I just know that you're keeping something, and I want you to know that you can tell me anything and it won't change how I feel."


"You're right, you're pushing me Blair," he became suddenly angered, and walked briskly away, toward the office door.  She stood, shocked, just watching him and he called back to her, "I'm going to the print room.  I'll be back in a few."


"I shouldn't have," she said, aloud.  "He'll tell you when he's ready, Blair.  God!"  and she slammed her hand down onto his desk.


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Your comments are 'payment' for the work of the authors. Our writers like to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment when you read.

1 comment:

Provide us with feedback, but be courteous in your comments and criticism. Thanks!